Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

eviljelly posted:

Any insights on the recent strikes at Lufthansa and Deutsche Bahn?

People talking about it in the Tourism & Travel thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

eviljelly posted:

Any insights on the recent strikes at Lufthansa and Deutsche Bahn?

Evil unions for small parts of the workforce try to get a lot more money because they can cause a lot of economic damage with comparably small cost (pilots, engine drivers). The most fun thing about it was that the head of the engine driver union stated that "if two ill people make a baby, it will be retarded" and got hammered for it. He referred to the idea that the engine driver union should merge with the union for the other Bahn employees.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Someone explain to me how otherwise smart people are mass-sharing this video on Facebook and why "peace movements" these days seem to idolize these "Souveränitätsjournalisten"-types that know for a fact that 911 was an inside job, MH17 was a false-flag (and, apparently excecuted by "jets from Kiev and puppeteered by Obama) and the word "Antisemitismus" should be banned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIyd9tXdKpY

I mean...dumb people on Facebook I get. But full-blown conspiracy idiocy with a nice New World Order/Global Zionism hue as a salonfähige mainstream opinion shared by people I'd otherwise consider MAYBE a little naive at their worst??

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Being smart or successful in one field/business/etc. doesn't prevent you from being a total idiot in another. This is compounded by people themselves believing that if they are successful in something they know poo poo about everything.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

The most fun thing about it was that the head of the engine driver union stated that "if two ill people make a baby, it will be retarded" and got hammered for it.
The second most fun thing is that the chairman of the DGB, pretty much the umbrella organisation for trade unions, has called for the GDL to knock that poo poo off. Although in fairness, as far as his organization is concerned, they're competition.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Someone explain to me how otherwise smart people are mass-sharing this video on Facebook and why "peace movements" these days seem to idolize these "Souveränitätsjournalisten"-types that know for a fact that 911 was an inside job, MH17 was a false-flag (and, apparently excecuted by "jets from Kiev and puppeteered by Obama) and the word "Antisemitismus" should be banned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIyd9tXdKpY

I mean...dumb people on Facebook I get. But full-blown conspiracy idiocy with a nice New World Order/Global Zionism hue as a salonfähige mainstream opinion shared by people I'd otherwise consider MAYBE a little naive at their worst??

Those fringe elements of the political left existed way before the internet existed, though. The internet just made it easier to find them.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Randler posted:

Those fringe elements of the political left existed way before the internet existed, though. The internet just made it easier to find them.

I wouldn't say that they are necessarily all left leaning. Part of those Friedensdemo participants are members of the reichbürger fringe and various sub groups. Those I would firmly place on the far right side of the spectrum.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Randler posted:

I dunno, to characterize crazy conspiracy theorists under the broad label of "political left" is pretty disingenuous, since 1.) it's a phenomenon that occurs across the political spectrum and 2.) the political ideologies of conspiracy theorists tend to defy easy classification along a left-right spectrum since, you know... they're crazy people.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

elwood posted:

I wouldn't say that they are necessarily all left leaning. Part of those Friedensdemo participants are members of the reichbürger fringe and various sub groups. Those I would firmly place on the far right side of the spectrum.

True, but the Friedensbewegung itself considers itself a part of the political left. Also, all the whining about the evil United States and its imperialism is traditionally left-wing rhetoric regardless of the fact that it is shared by some right-wing extremists and refuted by some fringe leftists, i.e. Antideutsche who unlike most extreme lefts really like America and Israel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They've actually managed to go far enough to the left that they wrap around. And here's me thinking it was a figure of speech.

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
It's the Neonazi "Querfront" strategy in action. Uniting leftist Anti-Nato, Anti-US elements with right-wing Anti-EU and Anti-International-Capital (aka Jews) elements. Also throw in some Truthers, RT audience, Reichsbürger and other conspiracy nuts for good measure.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Being smart or successful in one field/business/etc. doesn't prevent you from being a total idiot in another. This is compounded by people themselves believing that if they are successful in something they know poo poo about everything.

There is also the desire to set yourself apart from the sheeple who still believe anyone but the US President has any agency in this world. Although to be fair, he is only a puppet for <unspecified boogeymen>. Arguing that something is not as it seems makes you appear smarter, because clearly, you have cracked the code and now the context, are capable of critical thinking and seeing the lies in the mass media.

Of course, the truth is just the polar opposite of what the media are reporting because that's how propaganda works, right?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Randler posted:

Wow, it's funny that you would consider 911 truthers left wing because in the U.S. they are solidly in the right wing. (Although, it does wrap around a bit - there are 911 truthers who are far, far leftists.)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
That's...distinctly different from my impression of american truthers. You sure you're not throwing truthers and birthers in the same bucket?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

eviljelly posted:

Wow, it's funny that you would consider 911 truthers left wing because in the U.S. they are solidly in the right wing. (Although, it does wrap around a bit - there are 911 truthers who are far, far leftists.)

Given that it happened under a republican president I would assume the truthers do skew left wing. Watch Bush start a loving war and all that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ArchangeI posted:

Given that it happened under a republican president I would assume the truthers do skew left wing. Watch Bush start a loving war and all that.

Nah, it's a right-wing phenomenon too. Where left-wing truthers are more likely to blame Bush because he's An Evil President, right-wing truthers are more likely to blame Bush (and all politicians, for that matter) for being a puppet to the true evil masters of the world, the NWO/Majestic 12/UN/Rothschilds/Zeta Reticulans.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The elephant in the room being, of course, that the fringes of left and right are far more similiar than either of them would like to admit. (And not only due to the limitations of the monodimensional left-right scale.)

Edit:

:ohdear:

Randler fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 8, 2014

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Mal was ganz anderes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt-JrasAVBg

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Vier Mark Dreißig. :unsmith:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Randler posted:

Vier Mark Dreißig. :unsmith:
:negative:

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
I don't remember there being cigarette commercials on TV in the 90s.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy3iGQ5s-xs

futurebot 2000 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 10, 2014

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

The elephant in the room being, of course, that the fringes of left and right are far more similiar than either of them would like to admit.
On some measures. Not so much on measures such as likelihood of committing violent murder, or supporting the violent oppression of the unprivileged, both of which are (in the western world) overwhelmingly right wing dominated at this moment.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The future...TODAY!

Preview of how German textbooks will treat the Ukraine conflict.

(I'm especially amused by the use of "Handelskrieg", because back when I went to school my social studies teacher docked me points because "there is no such thing as a Handelskrieg". :argh:)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

RIP Blacky Fuchsberger

Phwoar, what a collection

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Randler posted:

(I'm especially amused by the use of "Handelskrieg", because back when I went to school my social studies teacher docked me points because "there is no such thing as a Handelskrieg". :argh:)

I thought Handelskrieg is a trade war? What did your teacher mean that there's no such thing as a trade war...???

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

eviljelly posted:

I thought Handelskrieg is a trade war? What did your teacher mean that there's no such thing as a trade war...???

I assume he went to school before the Star Wars prequels came out so disuputes over trade weren't established as a thing that exists.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's probably something about the definition of "war" that doesn't include mere trade disputes without any actual physical violence going on.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Torrannor posted:

It's probably something about the definition of "war" that doesn't include mere trade disputes without any actual physical violence going on.

What about all the times countries went to war over trade disputes? Anglo-Dutch wars represent.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Should call it Zollkrieg?

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Randler posted:

If the NPD getting seats gets you a chuckle, you should look up the quotes and policies of the mainstream leftists party SPD when it comes to immigration and social security. :allears:

SPD hasn't been a "leftist" party since Schröder, welcome to 1998

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The same teacher also thought that the NATO never invoked article 5 and that the EU and the EC were the same thing. (Both opinions voiced in 2006.) :smithicide:

Teron D Amun posted:

SPD hasn't been a "leftist" party since Schröder, welcome to 1998

Ah, the "No true leftist." response. Please humour me and tell me whether the SED was a leftist party. :allears:

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Randler posted:

Ah, the "No true leftist." response. Please humour me and tell me whether the SED was a leftist party. :allears:

Either you're arguing that there's a logical obligation to accept the barest self-proclaimed ideological credentials of any political faction or you're suggesting that the SPD is similar to the SED and both of those are completely baffling arguments

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Zohar posted:

Either you're arguing that there's a logical obligation to accept the barest self-proclaimed ideological credentials of any political faction or you're suggesting that the SPD is similar to the SED and both of those are completely baffling arguments

No. I'm saying that the SPD falls in the political left category on any political compass that I've seen so far. The SED part is merely me asking if he is willing to double down and somehow decide that the SED wasn't truly left as well. While I don't like the SPD, I wouldn't suggest them to be on par with the SED.

(Current affairs related: Will the SPD be voting for a Linke-Minister President in Thuringia and thereby screw over the "Die Linke is bad!" rhetoric at the Federal level?)

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Randler posted:

No. I'm saying that the SPD falls in the political left category on any political compass that I've seen so far. The SED part is merely me asking if he is willing to double down and somehow decide that the SED wasn't truly left as well. While I don't like the SPD, I wouldn't suggest them to be on par with the SED.

(Current affairs related: Will the SPD be voting for a Linke-Minister President in Thuringia and thereby screw over the "Die Linke is bad!" rhetoric at the Federal level?)

You probably haven't seen many (or indeed any) political compasses then

Even the exceptionally tedious old favourite http://www.politicalcompass.org puts the SPD in the right wing

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zohar posted:

Even the exceptionally tedious old favourite http://www.politicalcompass.org puts the SPD in the right wing

For context:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/germany2013

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Yay, statistics battle. :neckbeard:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zohar posted:

According to that weird question thing I'm a slightly more anarchic Gandhi. That can't be true, considering I answered a lot of questions about the military in a positive manner. Well, I guess you can be like Gandhi and have nothing against shooting people sometimes. :v:

Edit:

Looks like the Greens line up best with my line of thought, which explains why I stopped giving my votes to other parties a long time ago.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Randler posted:

The elephant in the room being, of course, that the fringes of left and right are far more similiar than either of them would like to admit. (And not only due to the limitations of the monodimensional left-right scale.)
I think is true. There's also a lot of people who are attracted to extreme left or right movements not because they're "left" or "right" but because they're extreme. So you'll find people whose politics are an externally incoherent mess but internally consistent, if you look at it in that way. It's just a grab bag from various "dissident" websites. So you'll have someone at the left-wing club who is into Lenin and Mao but believes in a Jewish conspiracy and supports a right-wing populist party.

But this is also true for political moderates with contradictory views: pro-income redistribution & pro-low taxes and that sort of thing. They just like "moderate" politics.

Then there are people who jump from one extreme to the other. They tend to oscillate and bounce around a lot. I'm not really familiar with extreme rightists becoming extreme leftists. (I'm sure they're out there.) But there are a lot of cases like Horst Mahler who go in the opposite direction.

A friend of mine does this but just on the left-wing side. I've seen him go from being an anarchist to a communist to a radical left-wing Christian to a progressive western-style Buddhist all in the span of a few short years. (I think there was a short-lived Maoist stage in there, too.) I've been to the book store with him when he would go religion-shopping. "I looked at these books on Islam, but ehhh..." And that's fine. It's just amusing the fervor that he'll throw himself into it every few months only for it to fade out, then he'll renew it with something else. It's just his personality.

"Left <----> Right" is simple. People are more complicated.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 12, 2014

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Omi-Polari posted:

I think is true. There's also a lot of people who are attracted to extreme left or right movements not because they're "left" or "right" but because they're extreme
I think the reverse is much more common. Which is why "Extremismus" et. al. are being actively used to marginalize unfashionable platforms regardless of slant, even in this very thread.

(Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, cf. AfD.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The AfD is a really interesting case, because you can almost see in real time how party with a dumb goal became a basin for people on the right who don't want to be accociated with the NPD. They are basically the socially accaptable rightwing party now.

They even habe the same voter base :v: