Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skooky
Oct 2, 2013

m.hache posted:

Can I just say gently caress Microsoft for not allowing me to uninstall OneNote when you use their god drat click-to-run service.

Also, gently caress them for causing sendtoonenote print driver from eating all of the presidents printouts. I know they have their hands in so many different aspects of computers but Jesus why force One Note onto people.

In all fairness to Microsoft, OneNote is pretty awesome.

skooky fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

anthonypants posted:

You also can't run Metro IE with the Administrator account. Normal IE works fine!

Nor can you use Metro IE at all if you have a different browser set as default. It literally disappears from all menus.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
It completely blows my mind that Windows 8 ships with two entirely different versions of IE.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

GrumpyDoctor posted:

It completely blows my mind that Windows 8 ships with two entirely different versions of IE.

Two different versions of everything, man.

Skype? There's an app for that (And much better desktop version)
Calculator? There's an app for that (And much better desktop version)

etcetc

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Yeah, Windows 8 is universally considered a clusterfuck. Although there are things to like about it, nobody can deny it needs a lot of work to make it consistent.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Two different versions of everything, man.

Skype? There's an app for that (And much better desktop version)
Calculator? There's an app for that (And much better desktop version)

etcetc

Touching on calculator - it still blows my mind that I cannot do floating point arithmetic if I'm using it in programmer mode.

An email was sent to the client:
:) Can you do A. If that doesn't work can you do B. Also can you send me file C that you've got problems with. Also can you provide the information on where D happens. What user is logged in?

Client responded:
:am: Doing E didn't do anything.

:allears:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Crowley posted:

I obviously don't know how UK unions work, but here in Denmark they will only take the case if it's not already, eh.. "in action" when you join. If the case starts after you join you're good, but they won't accept being some place people only join when they're already in need of help. In short, unions (in Denmark) work like insurance companies.

This is indeed an issue.

However, the original issue that I've had going on since March, got resolved a few weeks back. I've now joined the union and a little later am going to raise a grievance against my HR department over all the poo poo they put me through. My boss is behind me on this one as I spent more company time dealing with their poo poo than I did actually doing my loving job.

I am expecting some form of retaliation from HR at some point in the future, which will then be a separate issue of victimisation by HR based on the fact that I've previously raised a grievance.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, Windows 8 is universally considered a clusterfuck. Although there are things to like about it, nobody can deny it needs a lot of work to make it consistent.

I keep seeing goons defend Win8 and condescend to anyone who would want a new computer with an outdated OS like Windows 7. Check the build-a-new-computer threads. Mind you, it's usually with the caveat that Windows 8 is perfectly fine as soon as you use a bunch of third-party hacks to make it not look like Windows 8 any more. The Metro UI (or "Modern" now I guess?) is pretty universally derided by everyone with eyes. (And without! I do some work with visually impaired users who rely on things like Zoomtext and JAWS, and they are pissed about Windows 8.)

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Speaking of Windows 8, has anyone managed to get Scan To Folder working on older Ricoh copiers? I cannot get the two to play nicely, and of course the Ricoh firmware updates to fix the issue only go back to machines built in the last 3-4 years. Works fine on Windows 7 but since they went to SMB 3, Windows 8 just doesn't want to receive the file.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Entropic posted:

I keep seeing goons defend Win8 and condescend to anyone who would want a new computer with an outdated OS like Windows 7. Check the build-a-new-computer threads. Mind you, it's usually with the caveat that Windows 8 is perfectly fine as soon as you use a bunch of third-party hacks to make it not look like Windows 8 any more.

Yeah, I think the derision/condescension comes towards people who just unilaterally bash Win8 without the acknowledgement that it does have some pretty solid improvements under the hood and stuff. It's just more that the Modern interface (and irritations like doubling of programs to have an "app" version) is such a headache that it doesn't justify the good.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Sure but I run Windows 7 even on my home PC and not once have I said "gee, I wish I had those under the hood improvements of Windows 8". Most people when they used XP weren't even upset they were missing out on Vista. Microsoft seems to gently caress up their OS every other release, it's like Intel's tick tock cycle, but it's tick gently caress instead.

Edit: I'm still butthurt I paid for Millennium Edition

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 12, 2014

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

So why haven't you told them yet? You ducked out of the thread after you last posted.

I ducked out of the thread because some of you got me very worried for my legal situation. I consulted a contract lawyer.

Result: I am legally in the clear, and the terms of my employment contract indemnify me from decisions made by company management/ownership.
He also perused the contract between my company and the client, and it turns out as long as best efforts are made by the company to maintain the backups for x years (varies by company) is also in the clear as it was the actions of a third party out of our control that erased the data.

Legally we did nothing wrong as far as our efforts to meet our contractual obligations.

Now, the decision not to inform the client is a bit of a different matter, but, once again, one that was made way above my head, and any breach of contract dispute that may or may not result from that decision does not involve me in any way, and is questionable in terms of it's outcome due to the working of the contract between the client and my company.

Look, I know its lovely, and I wish I wasn't a party to it. If it was my choice I would inform the client and look for the best way to move forward and maintain the relationship. But it wasn't my call. Any "whistle blowing" is not protected by any laws in my country or state, and would be in direct violation of my employment contract and it's NDA, opening myself to getting my rear end sued into oblivion.

I'm here at this company for the moment. I will not be here forever. But I'm making incredible money for the position I have, I'm getting trained on a huge array of cutting edge stuff, and training up on stuff as much as I can while I am here, in hopes that maybe a couple years down the line I can get a nice admin job at some Enterprise somewhere.

I understand the desire to be as ethical as possible and inform the client behind my bosses back. But to do so would open me up to immense financial ruin, and would put hardship on my family. So don't sit there on a high horse arm chair layering me as to why I'm a lovely human for not heroically telling a client their archive backup is gone and nobly sacrificing myself and families financial future in the process.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

BrainBot posted:

Kypass Companion is a really nice native implementation of Keepass (e: and supports 2.0 databases), but it does cost $8.
From four pages back, but wish I knew about this before shelling out for 1password.

Now I have the reverse problem where the Mac application is great, and the Windows one is (sort of) lovely. It is a nicer product than KeePass, but it isn't cheap.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

eithedog posted:

Touching on calculator - it still blows my mind that I cannot do floating point arithmetic if I'm using it in programmer mode.

An email was sent to the client:
:) Can you do A. If that doesn't work can you do B. Also can you send me file C that you've got problems with. Also can you provide the information on where D happens. What user is logged in?

Client responded:
:am: Doing E didn't do anything.

:allears:

You asked too much of the user, with my level of customers I ask just one question per e-mail unless I know they are competent enough to answer multiple questions at once (people don't like reading and some customers will even tell me TLDR). Even then if I ask a simple question like, "When you launch the program and try logging in what error does it say?" I will sometimes get the awesome answer of, "Yes."

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So Telus changed something overnight with their email to text service and now our company notifications are just piling up in my exchange queue. Quick test on their server shows they don't have proper PTR records set up and it's actively dropping connections from our mail server.

Everything else leaves fine from our end, mail server tests ok. Now I get to see here clearing out 100+ messages every few minutes while they figure out what they hosed up.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Billy the Mountain posted:

I ducked out of the thread because some of you got me very worried for my legal situation. I consulted a contract lawyer.

So don't sit there on a high horse arm chair layering me as to why I'm a lovely human for not heroically telling a client....... and nobly sacrificing myself and families financial future in the process.

Hey Billy, relax. No-one has called you lovely. Your company is stupid/naive, the backup software company is lovely, but you aren't.

In fact, I think the comments have been quite the opposite - we're all worried about you as it is inevitable that someone is going to get shat upon from a great height and as we all know, poo poo rolls downhill and you're at the bottom (with us)

As someone else mentioned, you'd probably be wise to go back through your history and delete any comments you made on this situation. Even if you are technicaly safe, when you screw over a bunch of lawyers, watch your arsehole.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

spog posted:

Hey Billy, relax. No-one has called you lovely. Your company is stupid/naive, the backup software company is lovely, but you aren't.

In fact, I think the comments have been quite the opposite - we're all worried about you as it is inevitable that someone is going to get shat upon from a great height and as we all know, poo poo rolls downhill and you're at the bottom (with us)

As someone else mentioned, you'd probably be wise to go back through your history and delete any comments you made on this situation. Even if you are technicaly safe, when you screw over a bunch of lawyers, watch your arsehole.

Definitely agree with this, most of it is really concern and anyone who seriously thinks you should be whistleblowing here is dumb, but probably only doing it out of concern for you. Lawyering up yourself was the best move

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I understand the desire to be as ethical as possible and inform the client behind my bosses back. But to do so would open me up to immense financial ruin, and would put hardship on my family. So don't sit there on a high horse arm chair layering me as to why I'm a lovely human for not heroically telling a client their archive backup is gone and nobly sacrificing myself and families financial future in the process.

:agreed: don't blow the whistle to save some lovely law firm that no-one cares about. It's not like there's a nuclear reactor about to blow up or anything important.

Also I agree with the above poster in that I don't think any of us thought you were being lovely, we were all just trying to look out for you I guess.

Keep on keeping on!

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I'm sorry guys. Most of you were supportive and that was awesome. I got the impression from a couple of posters that I was being judged for not informing the client, and that's what I was reacting to. I love you guys and gals in this thread. You are like the only ones I can talk to about the craziness of this job. Non tech people just glaze over and my wife does her best but doesn't have enough of a background to understand the inherent funny in Screenshot printout scan word document email attachments, and doing the needful. But she lets me touch her boobs, so it evens out.
But you guys I can talk to.

Plus I don't want to touch your boobs.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Plus I don't want to touch your boobs.

:(

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Buy me a drink at least.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

A phone call came in! User reports they are unable to access any of their mounted shares. After some digging, it looks like someone had accidentally deleted the entire DFS namespace for that site. Long story short, there are no backups and I now have to restore the entire thing by hand. :argh:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I think the derision/condescension comes towards people who just unilaterally bash Win8 without the acknowledgement that it does have some pretty solid improvements under the hood and stuff. It's just more that the Modern interface (and irritations like doubling of programs to have an "app" version) is such a headache that it doesn't justify the good.

Windows 8 has some cool powershell features that come with it. I guess I would consider that an under the hood improvement. Also I think a lot of people in the build your own pc thread were telling people to go to Win 8 because theres a thought that any new direct x improvements wont be available for Win 7.

A user ticket came in. He's gotten a virus for the 2nd time this week! Cant wait until I can make everyone a standard use and tighten down a lot of other things.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde

Outlook 2013 crashes when user sends email. This is both on his desktop and laptop.

This has turned into my personal case from hell.

You still having this issue? Does their outlook have any PSTs from network drives open?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Hey Billy, apologies if I appeared blunt - It just felt like the story was only half over :downs:

Glad you're legally safe!

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Splashy Gravy posted:

You still having this issue? Does their outlook have any PSTs from network drives open?

No. Worked with Microsoft partner cloud product support for 4 hours yesterday night on this (its Office 365pro Plus as pushed out from the server)

Turns out there is something corrupt in the mailbox itself that causes the local Outlook client to crash when sending a message. That's why it was happening on 2 computers. I logged into a third one, one he had never been on, freshly installed Office, configured Mail profile for him, and opened Outlook and went to send a message, and it crashed. That pointed out to us that it had to be something in the mailbox itself as it was delivered from the cloud server, as it traveled to whatever machine he was using.

Unchecked cached exchange mode and put him in online mode; Resolved issue, crashes stopped. MS is now trying to figure out WTF is in his inbox or sent items that might cause this.

In other weird Outlook news, I have a user who somehow managed to put the entire INBOX folder into deleted items. And I cant get it out. Halp.

EDIT: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55fdffd7-1878-4637-

Billy the Mountain fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 12, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh, all of this Outlook talk reminded me of a client I was working with the other day who asked how to organize their Deleted Items folder.

I asked why they would want to do that and apparently she puts everything in there but would like to be able to delete week by week so that she doesn't accidentally get rid of something she needs.

My suggestion to just not delete things until she's ready to get rid of them seemed to be one she had never even considered.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our company has a Group Policy where the deleted items gets auto deleted every 7 day.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Malformed link. Please try again?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

pr0digal posted:

A recruiter e-mail came in! For a Field Maintenance Technician for some Telecom.

Job requirements are pretty standard, it's in the "Additional Items Required" where it gets fun.

Also Travel: Nationwide, 10-25%. In some instances, travel may be at the last minute and will include weekends. Duration usually 1-3 days at a time.

Earthlink business by any chance?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Unchecked cached exchange mode and put him in online mode; Resolved issue, crashes stopped. MS is now trying to figure out WTF is in his inbox or sent items that might cause this.
Someone probably sent him an email that says "This statement is false."

Has anyone here deployed IE 11 through SCCM? Our SCCM guy says he can't get it to work unless he uses the light installer that phones home and downloads the components from Microsoft's servers, which is turning into a mess because of Websense issues. I'm able to manually install it by installing one KB patch and an offline installer I found, but he apparently couldn't get those working through SCCM. It seems like there must be a better way than having each machine download the components individually.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Knormal posted:

Someone probably sent him an email that says "This statement is false."

Has anyone here deployed IE 11 through SCCM? Our SCCM guy says he can't get it to work unless he uses the light installer that phones home and downloads the components from Microsoft's servers, which is turning into a mess because of Websense issues. I'm able to manually install it by installing one KB patch and an offline installer I found, but he apparently couldn't get those working through SCCM. It seems like there must be a better way than having each machine download the components individually.

There are a couple of ways that I could see doing it. One is if you have SCCM integrated with your WSUS is to just package and deploy that update to whatever computers you want. The other would be to find the IE 11 admin kit and get the msi and set it up as a mandatory/available application that users could download.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

RadicalR posted:

Malformed link. Please try again?

http://mfcmapi.codeplex.com/

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Hahahaha oh poo poo gently caress hahaha.

In slightly related news the Zenith Infocom BDR monitoring website is completely offline. I now get to check the backups of 25 clients by hand.

I hope that company burns.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The other would be to find the IE 11 admin kit and get the msi and set it up as a mandatory/available application that users could download.

With IE 10 this works great. The IE admin kit is kinda awesome.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Hahahaha oh poo poo gently caress hahaha.

In slightly related news the Zenith Infocom BDR monitoring website is completely offline. I now get to check the backups of 25 clients by hand.

I hope that company burns.

Ahem.

http://channelnomics.com/2014/09/02/zenith-infotech-wind-matter-days/

BWAHAHAHAHA

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Holy gently caress!

Can you sue an empty husk?

EDIT: Did you guys choose to use Zenith or was that the choice of your client?

m.hache fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 12, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

This here is proof positive that there is Karma in this world.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

"This, guys, is why you have no backups."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Goddamn, dude

This situation is about to get way more hairy

• Locked thread