Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Another Person posted:

Dunno, I'd put Trips pretty high up there at this point in his career. He knows all the tricks. Dan is a fool for the terminology though.

Maybe best for the questions thread, but who are the smartest people in the biz in the opinion of everyone here? Just who can rule the roost and run the show to satisfaction?

Well, the easy answer is Vince. He's sailed the ship for 30+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if triple h isnt the smartest person in the business who is

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

You only have to look in this very sub forum where everything good is Triple H's idea and nothing bad is his fault to see how smart he is.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

epitasis posted:

if triple h isnt the smartest person in the business who is

BIG DAVE

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Everything good is Triple H. Everything bad is Kevin Dunn. Science has proven this.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Triple H has his finger on the pulse of what's good in wrestling today and has a good eye for talent, and that's pretty much it really.

Not a knock, because that's all important. I'm just saying.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I look at developmental now and developmental before HHH and even if things aren't great in 10 years, I'm at least reasonably sure they'll be better.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
Dan Rodimer would be a 10-time champion if Triple H had been running developmental during his tenure. :colbert:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

sportsgenius86 posted:

I look at developmental now and developmental before HHH and even if things aren't great in 10 years, I'm at least reasonably sure they'll be better.

It's certainly more structured than the previous recent territories. OVW and Deep South were too unstable and inconsistent, and FCW was just awful in every way.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Raven is the smartest person in wrestling he's got a certificate from Mensa and everything.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
HHH started as a green bodybuilder with a generic look and ended up as one of the most powerful people in the business so I don't know how anyone else could possibly be in contention other than Vince McMahon. HHH unseated Vince's OWN SON as the heir apparent.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I listened to the Todd show this week (I know) and I feel the same way as Bryan and Todd on HHH. Maybe everything will be better when he takes over the WWE. Maybe.

But I can't believe a drat word he says. He's Triple H, and everything that comes out of his mouth is extremely hard to believe because it comes from him. Triple H never seems to take the working boots off, so I never believe an ounce of what he says. Because depending on the situation, I always feel he's going to tell you what you want to hear, or the opposite.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Bigass Moth posted:

HHH started as a green bodybuilder with a generic look and ended up as one of the most powerful people in the business so I don't know how anyone else could possibly be in contention other than Vince McMahon. HHH unseated Vince's OWN SON as the heir apparent.

Lots of people ITT saying smart = succeeding at improving your position in the industry.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

HHH unseated Vince's OWN SON as the heir apparent.

TBF Shane was already on the outs when HHH started to get some power and Steph already supplanted Shane at the time.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

81sidewinder posted:

Lots of people ITT saying smart = succeeding at improving your position in the industry.

Kevin Dunn is the smartest man in the world.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

Bigass Moth posted:

How DID that happen anyway? I was always under the assumption that Shane would take over and share it with Steph, and that's obviously not happening. Has there been explanation as to where Shane is, what he's doing, etc.?

Also seconding the "smartness" f HHH. You see a guy who was some nobody amateur bodybuilder who magically transitioned into one is the most powerful positions in wrestling. Marrying a McMahon didn't hurt, but it sounds like HHH was pretty tight with Vince even before their relationship.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

81sidewinder posted:

In this business HHH has set himself up for life as the eventual head of a billion dollar company, I'm not sure what a mensa certificate would add to that.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Ugh Granny's houses are back.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Please change this to the official B&V Seat Belt chat thread.

Question 1: Do chariots have seats?

Question 2: Do chariots have seat belts?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

"art" is in "smart" because both are meaningless signifiers of adherence to a nonexistent standard

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Daniel Bryan posted:

I listened to the Todd show this week (I know) and I feel the same way as Bryan and Todd on HHH. Maybe everything will be better when he takes over the WWE. Maybe.

But I can't believe a drat word he says. He's Triple H, and everything that comes out of his mouth is extremely hard to believe because it comes from him. Triple H never seems to take the working boots off, so I never believe an ounce of what he says. Because depending on the situation, I always feel he's going to tell you what you want to hear, or the opposite.

HHH has a VERY calculated image, and I agree with the point that all his interviews are serious works. Compare his interview with Masked Man on Grantland in August 2013 to the Jericho podcast and you will see how much he can work people. That doesn't really matter, though.

What we know for sure about HHH is his actions. He works his rear end off and will do nearly anything to make himself look good. He did every backstage move you could make to become and stay champion. He became a really, really good worker along the way. Before his quad tear, he was an all-timer. He married the bosses daughter to stay on top. Now that he knows he is a part time worker, he puts people over like crazy. The way that he put over Bryan and the Shield this year was great, but he did it because in this role, that's what makes HIM look good.

When it comes time to have him run the show, I know he is going to work his rear end off to look good.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

How DID that happen anyway? I was always under the assumption that Shane would take over and share it with Steph, and that's obviously not happening. Has there been explanation as to where Shane is, what he's doing, etc.?

Also seconding the "smartness" f HHH. You see a guy who was some nobody amateur bodybuilder who magically transitioned into one is the most powerful positions in wrestling. Marrying a McMahon didn't hurt, but it sounds like HHH was pretty tight with Vince even before their relationship.

Shane wanted to be successful in his own right. He is now working as a Chairman of the Board in China, on the Chinese version of Hulu or Netflix, YOU On Demand, and is seeing some success at that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Gabe is the smartest guy in the business, that's why no one goes to his shows. They're too advanced for our simple minds.

Plus he is so smart he needs to run like 3 companies at the same time

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Shane also has a business relationship with members of the PGA, he's been seen at tournaments celebrating with Rory McIlroy.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
If anything, Shane going away to work successes in other businesses is just another feather in his cap for if he ever decided to go back to WWE. He would immediately be welcomed into a powerful position simply due to the perceived ability he has had in other areas. Not to say he would dethrone Trips and Steph, but he would be next in line.

Who is the smartest man in wrestling? Shane McMahon, because he got out of it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

epitasis posted:

"art" is in "smart" because both are meaningless signifiers of adherence to a nonexistent standard

Wrestling video games are art

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

only mdickie ones

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Another Person posted:

Shane wanted to be successful in his own right. He is now working as a Chairman of the Board in China, on the Chinese version of Hulu or Netflix, YOU On Demand, and is seeing some success at that.

No he's not. The company is a consistent money loser and he's used his own funds to keep it going.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i think saying that triple h is the smartest person in the business is maybe overstating it but i think there's no question that he is very smart about it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Shane McMahon will probably make himself not very wealthy trying to prove to his father that he is good at business.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

No he's not. The company is a consistent money loser and he's used his own funds to keep it going.

I thought it was slowly becoming profitable? Like, last I remember hearing it was getting to the point where it had enough users to start making money. I could be wrong tho, last I read was around mania.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Another Person posted:

I thought it was slowly becoming profitable?

"Slowly becoming profitable" generally means it's not doing well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Another Person posted:

I thought it was slowly becoming profitable? Like, last I remember hearing it was getting to the point where it had enough users to start making money. I could be wrong tho, last I read was around mania.

The last interview I saw with him said he just put more money in and expects it to become profitable next year, which is code for "it won't be profitable next year." Their stock is near its all time low too.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The last interview I saw with him said he just put more money in and expects it to become profitable next year, which is code for "it won't be profitable next year." Their stock is near its all time low too.

Oh, poo poo. Scratch what I said. Dude is floundering.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think part of the problem with figuring out the "smartest person in wrestling" is that you have to be kinda dumb to get into the wrestling business to begin with

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

sportsgenius86 posted:

Shane McMahon will probably make himself not very wealthy trying to prove to his father that he is good at business.

He'll fail his way upward into another company, it is the American way.

triplexpac posted:

I think part of the problem with figuring out the "smartest person in wrestling" is that you have to be kinda dumb to get into the wrestling business to begin with

To a point, but if you see the business for what it actually is (conning marks out of money) instead of the ideal (sports performance) then you are already a step ahead. Hogan, HHH, Nash, etc. were smart to the business while countless broken down marks weren't.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 12, 2014

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Whose the dumbest person in wrestling?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

NienNunb posted:

Vince Russo, next question.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

NienNunb posted:

I think we just found out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Vince Russo, next question.

Oh come now, there's Ed Ferrara, Dixie Carter and Ian Rotten. Russo might be bottom 5, but dumbest?

• Locked thread