Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Alkydere posted:

I would honestly love it if the EMS were the ones being given military surplus. I seeing one of those tearing down the street with a heart attack victim in the back would be awesome/terrifying.

These things get what, 3, maybe 5 miles per gallon? Unless someone is trying to blow up ambulances in your town, it's a complete waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Amergin posted:

What if the bully just choose to ignore the punishment? Or, as I said before, what if the punishment makes the problem worse? Do you then just kick the bully out of school?

Many times this is exactly what happens in the sense that they get sent to an alternative school, usually some acronym that schools and parents send their children to, they either require special needs education that the school just isn't prepared to offer, or they're literal bullies who the school has given up on for a month or whatever the sentence is.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Amergin posted:

What if the bully just choose to ignore the punishment? Or, as I said before, what if the punishment makes the problem worse? Do you then just kick the bully out of school?

Yes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Amergin posted:

Yes? Eventually if they show themselves to be completely incapable of being a decent human being you do kick them out. It's called expulsion.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Make all nerds wear body cameras. Just solved the bullying problem.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Amergin posted:

Yes if the bully continues to create a hostile learning environment for other students after punishing them multiple times then eventually you'd have no other choice. Do you think students should be allowed to create a hostile learning environment for other students indefinitely with nothing to stop them?

Look at the Anoka-Hennepin school district situation a couple years back and see where that leads. Not everyone can just sit there and take the bullying forever, people commit suicide or at the very least will suffer academically and emotionally. You're basically saying that the bully's learning environment is more important than that of their victims.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

MaxxBot posted:

Yes if the bully continues to create a hostile learning environment for other students after punishing them multiple times then eventually you'd have no other choice. Do you think students should be allowed to create a hostile learning environment for other students indefinitely with nothing to stop them?

Look at the Anoka-Hennepin school district situation a couple years back and see where that leads. Not everyone can just sit there and take the bullying forever, people commit suicide or at the very least will suffer academically and emotionally. You're basically saying that the bully's learning environment is more important than that of their victims.

I'm saying if this is the road we're going down, I can see that eventually teasing a kid because he considers himself a "kitsune otherkin" and posts lovely poetry on tumblr will lead to you being expelled.

EDIT: My point being that if you try your hardest to protect children from any and all teasing or criticism, where does that end? Obviously teasing gay kids (which is laughable - do you really think children know they're gay?) to the point of suicide is abhorrent, but if we ban teasing based on sexuality, is that going to be it? I doubt it, given the current "TRIGGER WARNINGS!" PC silliness going on.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 12, 2014

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

MaxxBot posted:

googled the Anoka-Hennepin thing and some article noted complaints about the change in school policy and settlements in court

quote:

Laurie Thompson, spokeswoman for the Parents Action League, called the settlement a "travesty."

The lawsuit, she said in an e-mail, was not about bullying but was meant to "abolish conservative moral beliefs about homosexuality. Making schools safe for 'gay' kids means indoctrinating impressionable, young minds with homosexual propaganda."

Apparently one of the school board members resigned over them caving into the gay agenda or whatever as well. Somehow indoctrination involves an open environment free from hostility, but doesnt include making all your young students hate gays because jesus says so??

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Amergin posted:

EDIT: My point being that if you try your hardest to protect children from any and all teasing or criticism, where does that end? Obviously teasing gay kids (which is laughable - do you really think children know they're gay?) to the point of suicide is abhorrent, but if we ban teasing based on sexuality, is that going to be it? I doubt it, given the current "TRIGGER WARNINGS!" PC silliness going on.
:lol: How do kids know they're straight?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Remember when those militias put out a call to mass near the Texas/Mexico border? Well, they now plan to block several border crossings while armed.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So I guess Mitch got himself a non-retarded campaign manager if this is the ad they're coming out with after the Paulite resigned.

This is actually a pretty good ad, as someone who would never vote Republican it casts the options as serve in heaven-reign in hell. It would to be good for the country to get rid of McConnell, but I can't imagine the state specifically will get more favors out of it.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.
Every gay person I've talked to about it says they knew from a very young age. Like 5 or so.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Remember when those militias put out a call to mass near the Texas/Mexico border? Well, they now plan to block several border crossings while armed.

Is it bad that I hope they accidentally shoot each other? One side lines up on the US side, one side sneaks to the Mexican side, they're too stupid to know what's going on, and a bunch of hicks with power fantasies remove themselves from the equation with no innocent casualties.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Amergin posted:

I'm saying if this is the road we're going down, I can see that eventually teasing a kid because he considers himself a "kitsune otherkin" and posts lovely poetry on tumblr will lead to you being expelled.

Expulsion would be the last resort after many warnings and punishments, continually tormenting a student and creating a hostile learning environment over a long period of time for any reason is unacceptable.

Amergin posted:

Maybe you're not remembering clearly or your experiences were different but kids start having sexual feelings at pretty young ages. If that question was really sincere perhaps you should try talking to a gay person sometime.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Someone will be shot. Probably a federal agent.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BAWRLIN posted:

Every gay person I've talked to about it says they knew from a very young age. Like 5 or so.
Yeah, and then depending on their family/community situation, painfully denied their own feelings for another ten plus years.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 12, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

BAWRLIN posted:

That's sort of unfair, all 5 year old boys think girls are gross.

But wait, instead of engaging the highly ranked amateur trolls here, let's watch the professionals at the White House Press Brief!

I'm putting money that someone will bring up the reporter who took a boat across Lake Erie today, although it's pretty much anyone's guess whether it will be in light of Ebola, ISIL, immigration, or all three. Nothing like sick terrorists who want to get in on our awesome healthcare system.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Around 4th or 5th grade (puberty) was when I knew I liked girls. I can only imagine it's the same for gay kids.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Part of me wants the next one of these idiots trying to prove how lacking our security is to get nabbed and given the full Guantanamo treatment and at the next press conference Obama just goes "yeah we caught an attempted terrorist crossing the border. Which one of you jokers wants to try next? :smugdog:"

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Teddybear posted:

Is it bad that I hope they accidentally shoot each other? One side lines up on the US side, one side sneaks to the Mexican side, they're too stupid to know what's going on, and a bunch of hicks with power fantasies remove themselves from the equation with no innocent casualties.

y'all know that if shots were fired they would somehow manage to gun down at least one pregnant mexican girl, suspecting her of smuggling Islamic Ebola Bombs under her blouse.

If you need to wish for something, wish for them to fall into a sinkhole or something on the way there.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, and then depending on their family situation, painfully denied their own feelings for another ten plus years.

Yeah. My brother came out about 3 years ago when he was 23, which made me wonder if I should have known or how I could have been more supportive. It put a lot of his high school behavioral problems in context, though, what with the living a lie and such. :smith:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Amergin posted:

Jesus, you're a vile human being. The fact that you are representative of 40 to 50% of the American electorate literally makes me want to cry.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

PhilippAchtel posted:

Jesus, you're a vile human being. The fact that you are representative of 40 to 50% of the American electorate literally makes me want to cry.

I'm a vile human being for wanting boundaries in the PC war?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
There is no "PC war". Society is just slowing deciding that it doesn't want to accept people acting outright abusive and hateful. It's like my friend who complains that he can't call people faggots anymore, you can still say and do hateful and abusive things, there's just fewer people willing to ignore or accept that behavior.

Amergin posted:

is that going to be it? I doubt it, given the current "TRIGGER WARNINGS!" PC silliness going on.

Could you straw man any harder? The "OMG TRIGGERS!" thing is almost exclusive to the crazy parts of the internet. And because of that idiots try to label any legitimate use of content warnings in situations like college classes as "Crazed liberal feminists pussifying the nation!".

Crain fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 12, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Please do no exhibit emotion in front of Amergin as he lacks the necessary tools to process it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Don't kick bullies out of school, that's positive reinforcement. Set them up with a behavioral IEP. They can sit their asses in a resource room all day with one teacher and get healed of their misconceptions, and their parents can come to IEP meetings and explain what steps they are taking at home to quit being idiots.

Suspension and expulsion are fuckin' stupid and are disproportionately used against those kids the administrators find scary. Guess who that is?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Amergin posted:

I'm a white male. I have never been harmed by the "PC war". Shut up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Amergin posted:

With your previous post I was wondering if, for a brief moment, you had actually espoused an authentic lovely opinion of your own there for once. But with this one I realize: nope, same old same old. drat, Amergin, you even almost got me.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Amergin posted:

Go talk to some actual gay people and educate yourself.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Mitch is now trying an untested campaign strategy: telling voters that he owns bones at parliamentary tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKekeACF3d8

The problem with this is that it's a good argument to make if you're talking to a room full of wonks, but it doesn't work so well in, um, Kentucky.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

The problem with this is that it's a good argument to make if you're talking to a room full of wonks, but it doesn't work so well in, um, Kentucky.

I think he is pretty confident of reelection by this point (most folks here in the state consider it a foregone conclusion) and sees no harm in trying to pad his numbers by picking up the middle-class swing voters who tend to favor "welp, at least he Gets Things Done!" rather than doubling down on his hick base.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 12, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
When do children figure out they're straight, Amergin? When they get their driver's license?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Alter Ego posted:

"If all McConnell learned how to do in the time he's spent in Washington on our dime is something you could do with a copy of the Senate Rules out of the bookstore in the lobby, then maybe it's time to bring in someone new."

"I'm Allison Grimes, and I approve this message, because I can read a loving book when I need to do procedural poo poo, c'mon."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Where does the War on Christmas fall? It part of the War on PC?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Crain posted:

There is no "PC war"

Of
course
there
isn't.

It's never a bad thing to suppress opinions you disagree with and label them as "offensive."

PhilippAchtel posted:

Go talk to some actual gay people and educate yourself.

I've talked to plenty of gay, bi, trans and generally kinky folks. Many of them experimented in college to figure out what they were into. Some did in high school. Many straight and gay people I know went through various "phases" when they were young - gay folks thought they were bi or straight, straight folks thought they were bi or gay.
Sexuality isn't so clear-cut as to assume a 10 year old knows he's gay.

SedanChair posted:

When do children figure out they're straight, Amergin? When they get their driver's license?

When they're old enough to know what sexual orientation even means? Late high school? College?

It depends on the person, but I'd bet the vast majority of kids who think they might be gay when they're young were just going through a phase, or wanted to be "different" and "cool."

It's like being goth.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Where does the War on Christmas fall? It part of the War on PC?

Yes. Part of a war that started as a genuine attempt to disentangle Christianity and the government and then somehow wound up trying to ban Santa.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amergin posted:

When they're old enough to know what sexual orientation even means? Late high school? College?

It depends on the person, but I'd bet the vast majority of kids who think they might be gay when they're young were just going through a phase, or wanted to be "different" and "cool."

It's like being goth.

Hahaha. Wow, you really need to get outside more if you think most people learned what sexual orientation was during late high school or college.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Amergin: being gay is like being goth - it's a phase, man

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

anonumos posted:

Amergin: being gay is like being goth - it's a phase, man

Also a real serious thing we should take into consideration before doing anything to try to reduce the suicide rate for gay youths: Santa.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So Amergin, I, most of the kids I knew growing up, and most of the kids I know now had "crushes" at some point by the age of ten. Did you have a lot of crushes on boys at that time in your life, before you had "figured out" your sexuality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Amergin posted:

It's like being goth.

I know that you're just making poo poo up as you go along but I love how a couple pages ago you said that anti-gay bullying is inevitable because gays are social outcasts in school and now you're saying that people pretend to be gay because it's "cool" and "different."