Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Guillermus posted:

We all have a little John Romero inside us :frog:

At least a full tablespoon, what with him making all of us his bitch and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

:eng101: If he was a landscaper would it design a lawn?

:frogout:

:eng99:

If he was a Jamaican lawyer, he'd be all about de signa's law.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Pengu! posted:

So along with working on the Resident Evil Mod, DooMero just released a demo for Donkey Kong Country running on GZDoom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypeTDtm0cZI

:psyduck:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

laserghost posted:

Romero should go back to what he used to love, and by that I mean drawing :nws:violent comics:nws:.

"Okay, so Melvin is like Dennis the Menace, and he's taking a poo poo when his dad 'Koolaid Mans' through the wall, punches his cock into a bloody pulp, and jams the kid's poo poo down his own throat." (Idea by Laura Tofanelli)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"Okay, so Melvin is like Dennis the Menace, and he's taking a poo poo when his dad 'Koolaid Mans' through the wall, punches his cock into a bloody pulp, and jams the kid's poo poo down his own throat." (Idea by Laura Tofanelli)

Yeah, I heard he had a bad relationship with his father, but holy poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Quake Live has a new announcer voice now :911:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Quake Live has a new announcer voice now :911:

At this point I think they're doing everything they can to deliberately piss off people that've played Q3 or QL.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Jordan7hm posted:

BTSX2 is really good so far but I'm running into the same issues I had with the first one - its a real slog to play through all at once. The textures look fantastic but there just isn't enough variety.

This isn't anything against the wad though. My preference is coffee break style wads that are short and sweet, and these levels are pretty long on a first pass.

I've just finished map10. "Slog" is pretty much exactly right - 400-odd monsters and a 50-minute completion time. It's great, but real hard to push through sometimes. Often because it's really overfond of teleporting stuff in behind you.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So I'm playing through that Duke 3D map pack "Dukehard" now and I got up to a map called "Poorman's Library" and uhhhhhhh it sure was a hell of a trip :stare: definitely was not expecting that...

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Prenton posted:

I've just finished map10. "Slog" is pretty much exactly right - 400-odd monsters and a 50-minute completion time. It's great, but real hard to push through sometimes. Often because it's really overfond of teleporting stuff in behind you.

I did a continuous playthrough of BTSX E2 without quicksaves (except on map31), and map10 did give me a little bit of trouble to start with. I remember I was at low health when I got to the last battle before the exit, and I ended up killing myself with a stray rocket. That was a downer.

The only reason I used quicksaves on map31 was because of what it is. I have an irrational hatred for slaughter maps, and I outright refused to bang my head against that wall.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Prenton posted:

Huh, that doesn't sound good. I'm replaying the first BTSX before I get to Episode 2 and I forgot how brutal it could be. I'll reserve judgement until I play it, but I hope it doesn't go too crazy with the slaughterfests.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So I'm playing through that Duke 3D map pack "Dukehard" now and I got up to a map called "Poorman's Library" and uhhhhhhh it sure was a hell of a trip :stare: definitely was not expecting that...
Yeah pretty much every mapper made their levels with their own style and quirks, the author of that piece is a bit of a wizard with special effects. My level was a bit plain but I didn't have much time available to me back then so I finished it as quickly as I could.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

TerminusEst13 posted:

Doom II Reloaded, which I'm irrationally fond of.

http://www.whatisblueandfurry.com/eschdoom/d2r.html

I played the first two maps of this and I am not impressed at all.

This is how not to design a Doom level. No flow, no connectivity, no interesting fights, just a slog through repetitive square corridors and box rooms with copypaste detail.

Also the music on MAP02 is incredibly obnoxious.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 13, 2014

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Woolie Wool posted:

I played the first two maps of this and I am not impressed at all.

This is how not to design a Doom level. No flow, no connectivity, no interesting fights, just a slog through repetitive square corridors and box rooms with copypaste detail.

Also the music on MAP02 is incredibly obnoxious.

I rather liked Doom 2 Reloaded as well. I remember really enjoying a lot of the city and laboratory maps. Maybe my like is irrational as well...

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

I know it was posted a few pages back but I've been playing The Adventures of Square and it's really quite good. Even though it's a Doom mod it's reminiscent of the better Duke3D maps, particularly in the weapon/enemy mix and the huge levels. I even like the art style which is very bright and Chex Questy compared to the dark and muddy design of a lot of Doom conversions. Also the game is not afraid to kick your rear end and only give you just enough ammo and health to survive to the next area.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, Adventures Of Square has some of the same 'problems' as Hellbound, in that the levels are often huge (clearly intending the player to save semi-regularly), and that the normal difficulty is designed to be pretty challenging. Hard absolutely pushes the limits, giving you a lot of enemies and just enough ammo.

I'd like to see that become more of a standard thing, really. UV-only as standard has been holding so many Doom-related projects back for a while now.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Yeah I recently started playing WADs on HMP as default and it's a lot less exasperating.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Grimthwacker posted:

Huh, that doesn't sound good. I'm replaying the first BTSX before I get to Episode 2 and I forgot how brutal it could be. I'll reserve judgement until I play it, but I hope it doesn't go too crazy with the slaughterfests.

Fireking is a secret map for a reason -- that's not the style of gameplay featured by the other maps at all, though they are on average tougher than E1. The other difficulty settings are implemented, though, and one of them should hopefully hit the spot if you find the UV gameplay more frustrating than fun.

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 13, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Smooth Doom just updated again, now with a much better trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=virD-uLknLU

100% Vanilla gameplay, but with a lot of GZDoom visual goodness. Most of it is toggleable via an extra options menu.

Edit: There is one tiny gameplay change now, and optional in the menu - you can opt to make Pinky demons a little faster, because they're kinda chumps normally.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 13, 2014

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

esselfortium posted:

Fireking is a secret map for a reason -- that's not the style of gameplay featured by the other maps at all, though they are on average tougher than E1. The other difficulty settings are implemented, though, and one of them should hopefully hit the spot if you find the UV gameplay more frustrating than fun.

UV is perfect, so far. Here's hoping we don't have to wait another 2 years for Instructions to the Rusty Time Machine.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Dominic White posted:

100% Vanilla gameplay, but with a lot of GZDoom visual goodness. Most of it is toggleable via an extra options menu.

Edit: There is one tiny gameplay change now, and optional in the menu - you can opt to make Pinky demons a little faster, because they're kinda chumps normally.

Haha they forgot to replace [Music Used] at the end with the proper credits. I do like sparkly things and I've been using kindly fill recently cause I'm super lazy.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Cerepol posted:

Haha they forgot to replace [Music Used] at the end with the proper credits.
Turn on annotations :)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Vanilla monster variants seems like a really nice touch.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Awesome Welles posted:

Vanilla monster variants seems like a really nice touch.

It is. It only applies to the lower two kinds of zombies and imps, but as those are the most common enemies by far, having a little extra variety in their sprites makes them feel a lot less copy-pasted. It's a really good mod overall, if you want to keep your gameplay unaltered but give everything a fresh lick of paint.

I especially appreciate that it doesn't mess with the core pixel-art style at all, just adds to it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Dominic White posted:

Holy crap I'm sold!

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I love the zombies with the helmets and goggles, and those new death animations, the imp falling onto it's front in particular was pretty awesome.

This is the doom mod that makes doom doomier. :allears:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I liked Smooth Doom when it was just trying to make the vanilla animations less herky jerky but all the new stuff is just tacky and weird to me.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Linguica posted:

I liked Smooth Doom when it was just trying to make the vanilla animations less herky jerky but all the new stuff is just tacky and weird to me.

You can literally turn off everything you don't like, though. There's a proper options menu in there. With everything turned off, it's literally just smoother animations.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Linguica posted:

Dominic White posted:

You can literally turn off everything you don't like, though. There's a proper options menu in there. With everything turned off, it's literally just smoother animations.

That's the options screen, though it's from the version prepacked in that guys Lovely Doom pk3 so I guess its outdated now.

EDIT: Oh poo poo I forgot to timg it.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Linguica posted:

To me it seems like Smooth Doom is trying to essentially be what Brutal Doom is.

If you look at the most recent version of BD (I think it's brutal20test10062014c.pk3), you'll see that it is what Smooth Doom wants to be (it even has death animations for the bosses). The non-vanilla weapons do essentially the same thing as the vanilla ones.

I guess it is hard to be original these days...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I thought Brutal Doom was more about taking Doom's aesthetic into the logical extreme, where Smooth Doom is just making it prettier. They do kind of similar things but their ultimate goals are different.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Brutal Doom changes the gameplay first and foremost, Smooth Doom and its ilk are purely for the aesthetics. They're two completely different things; trying to compare them just doesn't quite work, even though it looks that way.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grimthwacker posted:

Brutal Doom changes the gameplay first and foremost, Smooth Doom and its ilk are purely for the aesthetics. They're two completely different things; trying to compare them just doesn't quite work, even though it looks that way.

Yeah, this. Anyway seeing it do that thing with slight appearance changes for each instance of common enemies makes me want a mod that will do that, but taking the sprites to use for randomization from random wads you select. Since there's plenty of WADs released over 20 years where there's minor sprite changes to basic enemies and all.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, Smooth Doom is just a sprite project (and Sgt Mk IV is part of it, too) that just added a few optional community graphics mods to the mix along the way. The entire concept is Vanilla Doom + Shiny, though.

Brutal Doom's central idea is Doom remade to be more like the comic, so high-speed hyper-violence meted out by a bug eyed screeching lunatic. It just ended up bringing in a lot of elements from modern shooters too, like precision twitch shooting and more flexible, more immediately responsive guns - it feels a lot like how Doom would play in 2014 at this point, so it's not too surprising that apparently Doom 4 looks to play a lot like it. There's an official Brutal Doom campaign coming to pair with it, too, possibly alongside V20, so that should address a lot of folks issues with it messing with the balance, too.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Smooth Doom kind of bothered me for a few reasons, the new mook variants kind of obscured a lot of what Doom had going for it re: instant target identification, and some of the animations have extra frames where they don't need them, and make things look kind of sluggish. Some animations are snappy on purpose, dangit!

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Oh, hey, they finally have a monsters only version. Let's see if it'll make my dream of bringing Hideous Destructor to vaguely more realistic levels come true.

And at least they finally fixed the chainsaw attack animation being jumpy. :v:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

LvK posted:

Smooth Doom kind of bothered me for a few reasons, the new mook variants kind of obscured a lot of what Doom had going for it re: instant target identification, and some of the animations have extra frames where they don't need them, and make things look kind of sluggish. Some animations are snappy on purpose, dangit!

It's a work in progress. Many animations still need adjusting so that they are smoother, have attacks taking the same amount of time as in vanilla doom, and are synced up right. This is noticeable on the hell knight, you can see it's fireball comes out before the throw animation is done.

And you can turn off the variants.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Going Down episode 3 is now out. Please play it: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?postid=1305386#post1305386

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yesssss. Cyriak saves an otherwise boring day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Gunscape, the Goon-made collaborative level building old school FPS, is finally getting Founder purchasers their Founder account status, check the e-mail address you purchased with.