Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cold on a Cob posted:

blackberry 'ids' were tied to device so for awhile if you got a new phone all your old bbm contacts couldn't message you

i think they fixed this though? but by then idk who cared lol

graph posted:

ah, yeah, it sure was fixed because ur blackberry playbook had to be tethered to ur bbry phone to get email

l o l
its still not fully fixed because you can only sign into BBM from one device at a time and your chat history isn't synced across devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

what a clownshow

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Phoenixan posted:

the pen hooks to the spot for your power adapter but good luck having that spot free when you own a microsoft product

p sure they got rid of that on the surface pro 3

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sniep posted:

wait why did they put a mouse next to the macbook air

they come with the built in trackpad, not a mouse

u cant touch the screen man!!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

using photoshop with a good trackpad and no mouse is kind of annoying but I don't think it's more annoying than using it with a terrible trackpad and my finger

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 12, 2014

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well idk about you but i know when i'm trying to line something up perfectly in photoshop i want my hand covering half the screen

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Fame Douglas posted:

post post post

Actually managed to be the worst poster in a games thread posted:

You're an idiot, return to your lovely subforum.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

IDIOT!!! TRASH GARBAGE MAN!! GET THE gently caress OUT GEt THE gently caress OUTTTTT AHAFHKGAKJFJSDGNLMSDNG<SMFNGHKLDNFH>DGH

agreed

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

:shrug: not sure why anyone would use this

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mr. Apollo posted:

its still not fully fixed

:thejoke:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
metro is bad because giant purple/green/blue/orange voids with barely-differentiable monochrome icons floating in the middle combine the space efficiency of atm menu touch targets (atms are literally the only other place where you'll find huge dumbass touch targets like that) with the readability of loving geos

and those colors are horrible to look at for more than a few seconds

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Beeftweeter posted:

well idk about you but i know when i'm trying to line something up perfectly in photoshop i want my hand covering half the screen

isn't that what ctrl+ arrow keys is for ?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
New start menu that they punted to Win 9 is looking alright

http://winfuture.de/videos/Software/Windows-9-Das-neue-Startmenue-in-Aktion-12906.html

Fill it up with more and more TILESSSSSSSSSS

And don't worry, the Win 8 start screen is still there, unchanged. It's almost like this is the Win 8.2 they showed off at BUILD

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

carry on then posted:

drop shadows even larger than os x lol

getting rid of drop shadows in 8 was idiotic in the first place.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
those aren't drop shadows, they're drop fogs

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Cardboard Box A posted:

New start menu that they punted to Win 9 is looking alright

http://winfuture.de/videos/Software/Windows-9-Das-neue-Startmenue-in-Aktion-12906.html

Fill it up with more and more TILESSSSSSSSSS

And don't worry, the Win 8 start screen is still there, unchanged. It's almost like this is the Win 8.2 they showed off at BUILD

That's looking alright? it's like they stripped out 75% of the functionality of the start menu, by windows 13 we'll have it all back. now buy our products

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

metro is bad because giant purple/green/blue/orange voids with barely-differentiable monochrome icons floating in the middle combine the space efficiency of atm menu touch targets (atms are literally the only other place where you'll find huge dumbass touch targets like that) with the readability of loving geos

and those colors are horrible to look at for more than a few seconds

the recent design trend of FLATFLATFLATFLATFLAT no gradients no shadows no textures is awful and makes everything look like lifeless loving dogshit. low contrast, everything is low contrast as well and really bright, its terrible

im not sure if it started with google or MS though, and i still think iOS 7 looks like trash

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And it's goddamn ugly, looks like some 15 year old's hacked "Metro" start menu.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

gotta get that XP Halloween Editio

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

hot dog stand pls

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://www.h3m3.com/hot-dog-stand

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

This owns

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

the sad thing is they just need to add a search bar to that start menu and its absolutely perfect.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

wasn't that the special zune theme

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sham bam bamina! posted:

wasn't that the special zune theme

yeah the other royale one was way better though

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the start menu is stupid and should be a spotlight clone

only ms would actually have to show the results you want rather than a bunch of terrible bullshit

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

nvm

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
one of the windows search updates from windows update put a searchbar on the taskbar in the bottom right next to the systray icons

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

anthonypants posted:

one of the windows search updates from windows update put a searchbar on the taskbar in the bottom right next to the systray icons

is what i originally posted but he's talking about the one vista/7 has in the start menu that does local search

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

anthonypants posted:

yeah and the indexing was so terrible that it made your computer absolute unusable crap

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Millstone posted:

is what i originally posted but he's talking about the one vista/7 has in the start menu that does local search

yeah that's what the bar was, it was called windows desktop search or something and it was put out because spotlight came out over a year before vista

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

yeah that's what the bar was, it was called windows desktop search or something and it was put out because spotlight came out over a year before vista

windows desktop search is a half assed addon product, meanwhile the "Media Center" video player requires such deep integration it gets its own sku in Windows XP media center edition

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
actually it doesn't require deep integration, they just wanted to sell it as a separate product which means a separate sku for wmc and for windows that comes w/ wmc. they also had to create skus for the 3rd world that didn't come with any windows media products.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

actually it doesn't require deep integration, they just wanted to sell it as a separate product which means a separate sku for wmc and for windows that comes w/ wmc. they also had to create skus for the 3rd world that didn't come with any windows media products.

they also had to come up wth skus that beep boop faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Perplx posted:

windows desktop search is a half assed addon product, meanwhile the "Media Center" video player requires such deep integration it gets its own sku in Windows XP media center edition

there were packs to convert xp pro to media center edition

also i still have tweaknt somewhere, it let you change the sku of xp/win2k3 (and remove the trial/beta timebombs :ssh:)

funnily enough if you changed xp pro to server 2k3 it still referred to itself as "windows .net"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if microsoft treated metro the same way they treated MCE i bet more people would have liked it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

yeah and the indexing was so terrible that it made your computer absolute unusable crap
and then google desktop came out and it wasn't garbage but then google killed it rip

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Google even open sourced their Linux version of Google Desktop because it was so half baked. I think Ubuntu Warty Warthog introduced Beagle which died over 5 years ago, now we have the Gnome 3 thingy.

What is interesting is that all three had a design for file server side search but it's all a bit crap today.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 12, 2014

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
so apparently you can turn all of the live tile bullshit off in the windows 9 start menu?

http://winfuture.de/videos/Software/Windows-9-Startmenue-geht-auch-ganz-ohne-Live-Tiles-12912.html

of course you still have to buy a whole new os for this lmao

also you have to unpin them all one by one :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
KDE 4.13 ships with a new file indexer called baloo, and a lot of people were pissed that there initially wasn't a way to turn the loving thing off

http://vhanda.in/blog/2014/04/desktop-search-configuration/

i like the comments, such as

Phil posted:

"I think the more important question for me is - Why would you want to disable temporary indexing?"
Because it's a pain, hammers my HDD, grinds my machine to a halt and (here's the give away) IT'S MY MACHINE NOT YOURS.

"Please trust the developers to keep sensible defaults."
I did - but it seems they didn't. They removed the "disable" option.

"There is no explicit “Enable/Disable” button any more. We would like to promote the use of searching" How supremely arrogant.

I have no problem with you chaps putting an index engine in there - but give the user the right to disable it if they choose to. Even Windows gives the user that option.

• Locked thread