Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
This might be my favorite panel, tying with Patton-Posehn-Blaine. And I just saw PFT last weekend!!!

And shook Hodgman's hand while he was in drag!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'd watch Rosemary's Muppet Baby

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahaha oh my god, this entire Spooky Cartoons segment is amazing. Tonight's episode rules so far.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Ren and Stimpy, Duck Man... I miss old cartoons :(

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I think everybody should be required to call Hodgman "Judge Hodgman."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Child Millionaire Gets Whatever He Wants...INCLUDING A MAN WITH A HAT.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Uh oh, looks like she's on the wrong end of a dictaphone!"

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Just do this for a whole hour. This segment.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Von Sloneker posted:

Just do this for a whole hour. This segment.

Do it all next week!

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Best goddamn episode yet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Of course Paul F. Tompkins knows IG-88 by name!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Of course Paul F. Tompkins knows IG-88 by name!

I KNOW, right?

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Fuquing

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Wow, I didn't expect Proops to come in third! I'm both thrilled and saddened!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

They posted an outtake earlier today from the Black and WTF game that's spectacular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3miqAVyaUg

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

-Werner H.

:lol:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, they should've let him read it in his Werner voice, anonymity be damned.

Pinwiz11 posted:

They posted an outtake earlier today from the Black and WTF game that's spectacular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3miqAVyaUg

How the gently caress is this show not an hour long?!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Majorian posted:

How the gently caress is this show not an hour long?!

And hosted by Paul F Tompkins.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

And hosted by Paul F Tompkins.

1, because Hardwick is a good host in this context, and 2, because PFT probably wouldn't have time for the Thrilling Adventure Hour and Superego!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Majorian posted:

1, because Hardwick is a good host in this context, and 2, because PFT probably wouldn't have time for the Thrilling Adventure Hour and Superego!

1, LOL
2, I can't argue with that.

e:
what would be amazing would be a new hollywood squares with all the comics that appear on @midnight instead of "celebrities" and PFT in perma-center square

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 12, 2014

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

MariusLecter posted:

1, LOL
2, I can't argue with that.

e:
what would be amazing would be a new hollywood squares with all the comics that appear on @midnight instead of "celebrities" and PFT in perma-center square

wouldnt work, saying the names of 9 podcasts would take up the whole episode

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
And of course this episode is uncensored on Comedy Central's site.

edit: 36 minutes, this is going to be magical.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 12, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I mean, I like him in general, but I do get why people don't like him in most things. But I think he's genuinely funny on this show.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Majorian posted:

I mean, I like him in general, but I do get why people don't like him in most things. But I think he's genuinely funny on this show.

The only thing I can see people disliking him for is overexposure, which is a valid reason for not liking someone. Is there another reason I am not seeing?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Is this show scripted all my delusions destroyed.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PassTheRemote posted:

The only thing I can see people disliking him for is overexposure, which is a valid reason for not liking someone. Is there another reason I am not seeing?

I think some people think he's fake in how enthusiastic he comes off. But that's genuinely how he is, from what I understand - he's just an easily excitable nerd.

rypakal posted:

Is this show scripted all my delusions destroyed.

What makes you think it is? PFT's blooper? Because I think that was extemporaneous, but he just kept loving up the line he had just come up with.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
It's probably more they tell the comedians what the segments will be beforehand and they have a chance to think of some jokes for them. I think probably the writing staff will help some folks along.

I personally don't love the way Hardwick mugs when delivering written lines, but I concede that the show was pretty much custom-built around him so he isn't going anywhere.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Greggy posted:

It's probably more they tell the comedians what the segments will be beforehand and they have a chance to think of some jokes for them. I think probably the writing staff will help some folks along.

I personally don't love the way Hardwick mugs when delivering written lines, but I concede that the show was pretty much custom-built around him so he isn't going anywhere.

Yea Chris' lines are written, and they probably tell the guests 'hey here's the rapid fire stuff we're doing' so there's not five minutes of people going 'uuuuh' for the more out of left field ones.

I mean, as much as I love the guests, I doubt they had a bunch of 'make a book Canadian' goofs on the top of their head.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea Chris' lines are written, and they probably tell the guests 'hey here's the rapid fire stuff we're doing' so there's not five minutes of people going 'uuuuh' for the more out of left field ones.

I mean, as much as I love the guests, I doubt they had a bunch of 'make a book Canadian' goofs on the top of their head.

No, and I'm sure there are plenty of 30-second stretches of silence while comedians try to come up with funny zingers, and those are just (mercifully) edited out. That doesn't bother me at all, though. As long as it's funny and the comics are for the most part coming up with their own answers.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I assume the rapid fire games, the live challenges and the FTW categories are told beforehand.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Well I was mostly joking since I know Matt has talked about writing on this show. But yeah PFTs blooper seemed like a failure of a prepared line. Also Cho kept looking at notecards :)

But I do assume the guests write their own poo poo just like the rest of you. The voices are too unique.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

PassTheRemote posted:

I assume the rapid fire games, the live challenges and the FTW categories are told beforehand.

Someone (Proops?) admitted it.. calling it a "fake" improve show.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

poser posted:

Someone (Proops?) admitted it.. calling it a "fake" improve show.

Well, since it's a Piment Fort 2.0 :quebec:, it's no surprise. Without a script, taping would take longer and the show would be less fun.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Monday night is The League:

MONDAY 9/15
• Paul Scheer @paulscheer
• Nick Kroll @nickkroll
• Jon Lajoie @jonlajoiecomedy

TUESDAY 9/16
• Kevin Smith @ThatKevinSmith
• Justin Long @justinlong
• Jen Kirkman @JenKirkman

WEDNESDAY 9/17
• Nate Bargatze @natebargatze
• Adam Cayton-Holland @CaytonHolland
• Beth Stelling @BethStelling

THURSDAY 9/18
• Tom Rhodes @_TomRhodes
• Neal Brennan @nealbrennan
• Ali Wong @aliwong3000

I just wonder if we're going to see anymore Matador Guys

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've been to a few tapings and the show is a mix of written patter and on the spot improvising. Especially for stuff like hastag wars, the comedians are given a few answers ahead of time - but these are mostly deployed in a "in case you freeze and can't thin of anything" way.

They also check the live challenge answers during the break to make sure they're sufficiently different enough - one time I went two comedians hit on the same joke and they played rock paper scissors (vamping like crazy to the crowd, it was great) to see who would have to come up with another one.

Hardwick's stuff is largely written, but most of his off the cuff "Wait, the picture has a boner!" riffs aren't written in advance.

The unsung hero of @midnight is the editors, who manage to sculpt a coherent show from 50 minutes to an hour and a half of patter, riffs, and tangents.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Tuesday is the 'Tusk' episode? Oh god.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Davros1 posted:

Monday night is The League:

MONDAY 9/15
• Paul Scheer @paulscheer
• Nick Kroll @nickkroll
• Jon Lajoie @jonlajoiecomedy

TUESDAY 9/16
• Kevin Smith @ThatKevinSmith
• Justin Long @justinlong
• Jen Kirkman @JenKirkman

WEDNESDAY 9/17
• Nate Bargatze @natebargatze
• Adam Cayton-Holland @CaytonHolland
• Beth Stelling @BethStelling

THURSDAY 9/18
• Tom Rhodes @_TomRhodes
• Neal Brennan @nealbrennan
• Ali Wong @aliwong3000

I just wonder if we're going to see anymore Matador Guys
Oh gently caress Tuesday. But Monday? Yesssssssss :getin:

Thursday should be fun too.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh gently caress Tuesday. But Monday? Yesssssssss :getin:

Thursday should be fun too.

Eh, Tuesday won't be a total loss, it's got Jen Kirkman at least.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Tuesday is the 'Tusk' episode? Oh god.

Can editing make Kevin Smith funny? He will be baked off his rear end, but unlike Doug Benson, I don't think Kevin's jokes will be remotely funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

Can editing make Kevin Smith funny? He will be baked off his rear end, but unlike Doug Benson, I don't think Kevin's jokes will be remotely funny.

He did fine the first time he was on.

• Locked thread