Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

so apparently you can turn all of the live tile bullshit off in the windows 9 start menu?

http://winfuture.de/videos/Software/Windows-9-Startmenue-geht-auch-ganz-ohne-Live-Tiles-12912.html

of course you still have to buy a whole new os for this lmao

also you have to unpin them all one by one :allears:
how long until someone finds the numerous security issues with live tiles in the start menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it's my machine (that I'm running your software on) I demand you change it :argh:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lysidas posted:

KDE 4.13 ships with a new file indexer called baloo, and a lot of people were pissed that there initially wasn't a way to turn the loving thing off

http://vhanda.in/blog/2014/04/desktop-search-configuration/

i like the comments, such as
idk why this is in the microsoft thread but

isn't kde a linux and why don't they just rtfm and write their own enable/disable switch if they want one so bad

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fleshweasel posted:

it's my machine (that I'm running your software on) I demand you change it :argh:

agreed

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

anthonypants posted:

idk why this is in the microsoft thread but

isn't kde a linux and why don't they just rtfm and write their own enable/disable switch if they want one so bad

because only posers whine about linux and those posts are posemaster central

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

turns out microsoft isn't buying mojang for 2 billion

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they tacked on half an instagram to the price and the deal is now for 2.5 billion

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure buying Mojang is just the kind of initiative Windows Phone requires to succeed. Microsoft are masterful tacticians!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

keep up, its not going to be called windows phone any more

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
one of my managers keeps using bbm to message me lol

lady i put that work phone on silent years ago, just text me on my iphone

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
oops i thought this was the bbry thread

we regret the error

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
is their strategy now to buy every independent company that doesn't offer a windows (previously windows phone 8) app

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
if they buy mojang then they're almost literally buying an entire generation of young consumers

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yeah i'm sure that all those kids will suddenly be like 'oh my mining block lego game is now owned by microsoft let's all go by winpho and surfaces because i'm a 9 year old and i care about synergy!!'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah i'm sure that all those kids will suddenly be like 'oh my mining block lego game is now owned by microsoft let's all go by winpho and surfaces because i'm a 9 year old and i care about synergy!!'

Literally more thought than msft put into it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Metrication posted:

is their strategy now to buy every independent company that doesn't offer a windows (previously windows phone 8) app

This is basically Cisco's strategy and it works like garbage

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i lolled pretty hard when they bought linksys and the flip camera people

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

i lolled pretty hard when they bought linksys and the flip camera people

lmao flip

those sure came and went super fast

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

they tacked on half an instagram to the price and the deal is now for 2.5 billion

btw this makes notch worth 1.775b not including all the other crazy minecraft money prior to now

a 1.8b one hit wonder java developer

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cold on a Cob posted:

friends on Facebook are talking about how their kids are in literal tears over Microsoft buying Minecraft

don't underestimate Microsoft's negative brand perception among young consumers

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

eschaton posted:

friends on Facebook are talking about how their kids are in literal tears over Microsoft buying Minecraft

maybe i'm misreading your response but i was being sarcastic, at best kids won't care and at worst, yeah what you said lol

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

eschaton posted:

is this real

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
lol http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/09/minecraft-fans-worried-about-potential-microsoft-aquisition.html

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

i lolled pretty hard

hahahaha yeah same

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

lol bye oculus rift minecraft, no way in hell that's happening now

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Condiv posted:

there's going to be kinect integration with teens all over the country swinging a virtual pickaxe with their arms in the living room like a dumbass and it is the best possible outcome for that game

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

kids'll finally get to pet their block pig with the kinect

unless they're black

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Condiv posted:

also no reusing some of that oculus rift code for sony's vr thing

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i'm sure microsoft's aquisition of a nordic technology company will go just as well as when they bought nokia and skype

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
how do i get microsoft to buy my stuff?

who do i call ?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
ghostbingsters

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
i hope notch isn't even a part of the microsoft owned mojang. reading between the lines in a lot of the news it sounds like he just wants to get rid of mojang and minecraft so he can move on with his life. apparently he is the one who went to microsoft to see if they wanted to buy it and all the rumors say he wouldn't be a part of the new company

that's just going to be extra LOL to the minecraft community. notch literally selling out the company and throwing it under a bus. a bus driven by microsoft (so it's swerving and smashing all the other cars off the road)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
minecraft was a fun game but i realized it gave me autism like a vaccine so i had to quit

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

all aboard the microsoft bus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iNLtwMtRSY

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

turns out microsoft isn't buying mojang for 2 billion

Pinterest Mom posted:

lol

satya nadella: "hello? is this mr... gnash? of mahjong? yes, well, i'm sorry the deal can't go through. unfortunately, it turns out we didn't give you enough money and we have a reputation to hold up here"

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

minecraft was a fun game but i realized it gave me autism like a vaccine so i had to quit

same except I haven't quit

It helps to play with a modpack that doesn't reward (edit: slash require) compulsive behavior/giant stone cube building the way most tech mods do.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 13, 2014

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I literally don't get why people play minecraft

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

The Management posted:

it was a lot more fun before they fixed the "fire never stops as long as there are trees around" bug. set one tree alight and you'd clear cut as much of the map had been generated at the time.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
it's digital legos combined with some neat circuit/automation stuff, what's not to understand?

adventure mode is dumb though and lol @ notch not really getting why his stuff was a success in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Management posted:

Imagine you bought a box of LEGOs, but instead of coming in a plastic bag with an instruction manual, they come preassembled into an infinite world for you to explore and if you want the best LEGO pieces, you have to brave the spooky monster filled darkness to find where they're hidden at the bottom of the earth.

And then when you get bored you can build a stack of TNT and go blow up your friends buildings because you are 9 years old and still a sociopath.

• Locked thread