Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Westie posted:

"This, guys, is why you have no backups."

B...but... the Cloud! The Cloud is eternal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Entropic posted:

B...but... the Cloud! The Cloud is eternal!

It just started raining.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, all of this Outlook talk reminded me of a client I was working with the other day who asked how to organize their Deleted Items folder.

I asked why they would want to do that and apparently she puts everything in there but would like to be able to delete week by week so that she doesn't accidentally get rid of something she needs.

My suggestion to just not delete things until she's ready to get rid of them seemed to be one she had never even considered.

I had one of these a few weeks ago, she decided to continue using the deleted items folder to organize her email until she moves it to another PST file for long-term storage.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Got approval to rent a degausser for a month :getin:

Now I can finally get those hundreds of old drives I have recycled and out of my office.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
You just know organisations will continue to mandate degaussing for storage even when its SSDs.

Last time I disposed of some personal disks I just gave them a few good whacks with a hammer, snapped off the circuit board, and covered the remainder with used lard.

If you go to the trouble of recovering that disk then I think you deserve what it contains (Windows 95 and doom 2 I think).

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Baconroll posted:

You just know organisations will continue to mandate degaussing for storage even when its SSDs.

Last time I disposed of some personal disks I just gave them a few good whacks with a hammer, snapped off the circuit board, and covered the remainder with used lard.

If you go to the trouble of recovering that disk then I think you deserve what it contains (Windows 95 and doom 2 I think).

...and 4,000,000 BTC.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Well, at least you don't have to remember to tell people to avoid them

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Billy the Mountain posted:

It just started raining.

It's a mushroom cloud.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Good lord, you're powerful when you're angry.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jesus gently caress did you just will them out of existence?

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
So I am working as a software developer for an e-commerce company.

Right now I have a project that has complex interactions with a lot of different systems. Since our it only does test deployments once a week I asked them if I could reserve a server for me and do deployments on my own (to iterate faster). They told me sure, we can do this but from this point on it won't do anything on that server and you are completely on your own. I was fine with that so right now I am a server admin as well.

So fast forward to this week I get a call from one of our consultants telling me that he heard that I had reserved a test server and if he could piggybag on that with his own project. Being the nice guy I am I said sure no problem.

The first thing he did was announcing me to all his project partners in an email that I am the server admin for his project and that IT related questions should be forwarded to me. So I spend a good part of the next day explaining to people why tests aren't possible yet (I haven't rolled out the software yet).

This week we met again and I tried to tell him that I am not a real admin but a software developer and that I have my own project to take care of and I wouldn't have the time to do support for the project. He seemed to be very understanding and said sorry for that but he did have another requirement. Because his changes could possibly break our configuration database our integration team asked him to clone the database to have a fallback and if that is okay for me to do it on my test server. I said okay but you will have to write a ticket and clear that with It.

The ticket he wrote was something like this: "we need a clone of the database y on server x. For any technical questions contact demonicon." Then he went on vacation for a week.

Nevermind that I don't know anything about the database he wants to clone or how much additional space this would take.

The best thing was that in an email to me he asked me if I could arrange sign off of that with our dbas.

So being the nice person I am I went to our dbas to try to arrange this stuff and got a mouthful from our very pissed db head. Turns out that this guy had already talked to him and our Dbas had said in very clear words that they would not support another database and that his project would not fit in the schedule.

Lessons to be learned : never be nice, never say yes.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

demonicon posted:

Lesson learned: gently caress me once shame on me, attempt to gently caress me twice "I'm not sure I'll be able to help you with that at this point in time".

Lesson Learned Part Two: Son of Lesson Learned: Always get this in writing, and never allow someone to volunteer you for poo poo like that.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

I ducked out of the thread because some of you got me very worried for my legal situation. I consulted a contract lawyer.

I hope the lawyer sat down, looked over the contract and said, "Billy, I think the client will realize that A Mountain Is Something You Don't Wanna gently caress With. We think you're in the clear from a legal standpoint."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

demonicon posted:

I think everybody in this thread has a story they can use to support this. Sage words.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Septic Knothead posted:

I hope the lawyer sat down, looked over the contract and said, "Billy, I think the client will realize that A Mountain Is Something You Don't Wanna gently caress With. We think you're in the clear from a legal standpoint."

Ethel, we're going on vacation.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Baconroll posted:

Now, how would you secure delete a SSD with the same security as degaussing a HDD? Can you trust software solutions? Or do the NAND wipe completely if they loose all their charge, requiring you to wait two years or so for it to discharge? How about 230/110V across the circuit board? Curious here.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Dunno-Lars posted:

Now, how would you secure delete a SSD with the same security as degaussing a HDD? Can you trust software solutions? Or do the NAND wipe completely if they loose all their charge, requiring you to wait two years or so for it to discharge? How about 230/110V across the circuit board? Curious here.

Aqua Regia.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Clearly thermite is the only solution and that's what's gonna be written on my purchase request.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dunno-Lars posted:

Modern SSD's encrypt everything with AES 256 by default, even if you don't have the built-in encryption turned on.

If you issue a secure wipe command (it's a special ATA command) then it just forgets the encryption keys and boom, secure wipe.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

A ticket came in at 2am. A LUN is full and it's the home of 3 prod servers for a critical application. 1 of the VMs stopped and of course it's the database. I don't know why we even have an ops team at this point.

My bood pressure really doesn't like being woken up for something the barest minimum of preventive maintenance would have... well, prevented.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

spankmeister posted:

Modern SSD's encrypt everything with AES 256 by default, even if you don't have the built-in encryption turned on.

If you issue a secure wipe command (it's a special ATA command) then it just forgets the encryption keys and boom, secure wipe.

You can also go hog wild with a sledge hammer, like usual.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Plus I don't want to touch your boobs.

I know this is a little late, but can we touch your boobs instead?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
I am a chemical engineer by profession. Last week I encountered a programmable Perkin-Elmer UV-Vis spectrophotometer from the mid-nineties that uses the perfectly named programming language OBEY.

Frankly, that has to be the only thing every engineer wants of their programs: To OBEY.

OBEY!

OBEY!!

Default Settings fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 13, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Default Settings posted:

I am a chemical engineer by profession. Last week I encountered a programmable Perkin-Elmer UV-Vis spectrophotometer from the mid-nineties that uses the perfectly named programming language OBEY.

Frankly, that's has to be the only thing every engineer wants of their programs: To OBEY.

OBEY!

OBEY!!
Andre the spectrophotometer has a posse

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Default Settings posted:

Frankly, that's has to be the only thing every engineer wants of their programs: To OBEY.

OBEY!

OBEY!!

As a Chem E by training, but somehow never by employment, I support our spectrophotometer masters.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Default Settings posted:

OBEY!

OBEY!!

Please tell me OBEY is a tortured acronym for something.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Let me look that up on monday.
Which is the best day to look up tortured somethings.

Edit: This thing comes with a nice printed manual. Wiring, obscure error codes and all.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Default Settings posted:

Computers only ever do what you tell them to do.

:smug::smug::smug::smug:

(Alternate post title: How to make any user want to kill you)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My undergrad research advisor: "It is always, always operator error! The equipment [huge fuckoff telescope from the 70s controlled by DOS] never malfunctions!"

He was right, about 60% of the time!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Computers only ever do what you tell them to do.

:smug::smug::smug::smug:

(Alternate post title: How to make any user want to kill you)

Yesterday, while looking stuff up for a user's request ("my new office assistant needs access to this folder" kind of thing), with her still on the phone, I actually overheard her saying that exact phrase to her new hire.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lareous posted:

Speaking of Windows 8, has anyone managed to get Scan To Folder working on older Ricoh copiers? I cannot get the two to play nicely, and of course the Ricoh firmware updates to fix the issue only go back to machines built in the last 3-4 years. Works fine on Windows 7 but since they went to SMB 3, Windows 8 just doesn't want to receive the file.

Had the same issue with a recent 2012R2 server install. Ricoh copier couldn't scan to folder and Ricoh tech thought I was speaking in tongues when I aksed about updating the firmware. Fortunately their contract was up for renewal and a brand new copier came in a couple of weeks later which did support SMB3. Only other work around I found was to set up IIS and scan to FTP. May or may not be workable depending on your environment.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I know this is a little late, but can we touch your boobs instead?

Always.

Btw does anyone know of device less cloud backup service that does bare metal backups and whose cloud storage doesn't cost a ton?

We have all those zenith bdr's [really just windows storage servers] and is love to come up with a way to utilize them in the replacement backup strategy I need to come up with by morning.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Acronis were trying to talk to me about their backup as a service offering. Haven't started talking to them properly yet so it might be poo poo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Always.

Btw does anyone know of device less cloud backup service that does bare metal backups and whose cloud storage doesn't cost a ton?

We have all those zenith bdr's [really just windows storage servers] and is love to come up with a way to utilize them in the replacement backup strategy I need to come up with by morning.

Do you need bare metal imaging, or is System State sufficient?

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Do you need bare metal imaging, or is System State sufficient?

The Zenith BDR's did bare metal (as well as the Datto units, they do it too). But a new Datto and the associated monitoring and services are going to run each client (and there are over 20 affected) somewhere between 7 and 9 thousand dollars. In order to maintain full continuity between the Death Date (Oct 15) of Zenith Infotech cloud and after that, our clients only have a few weeks to make the decision and actually shell out a lot of csah to do so. Most will not want to or be able to on such short notice.

I got tasked with figuring out a solution.

The BDR's are really just Dell Windows storage servers with big gently caress off raid arrays, and we own all of them. If I could figure out a way to backup the servers to these units using something other than the Zenith flavor of Shadow Protect (whose licensing status is up in the air; no one at Zenith has gotten back to me regarding any of my questions regarding this) and then backup the Storage server to a cloud location, it would be perfect.

I'm looking at CrashPlan, because use of their software to backup is free, and you can freely use it to backup multiple machines on your network to another machine. What you pay for is the cloud storage, but if you want to really stay within the spirit of the solution you need to go with their Enterprise solution which charges by the amount of storage you need, as opposed to their "home" solution which is unlimited storage in the cloud.

But in reality the Home solution is pretty perfect: use their software to backup several servers to the former BDR unit, then pay for one account to back that up to the cloud, $60.00 a year unlimited storage.
I tested it out on my home domain and it backed up my 2008 VM server to my desktop which is running the home solution no questions asked,. After that it was just a matter of showing hidden files and adding the server backup location to my desktop's cloud backup, and away it went. It didn't stop me or question the fact that it was backing up a domain controller to a home group desktop and then onto their cloud.

BUT it doesn't do either System state or bare metal, just file backup, so it isnt quite the full Disaster Recovery solution that the old one was.

Acronis is stupid pricey for their cloud only solution, several thousand a year per server for storage up to a TB.
Evault requires a new unit bought from them, as does Datto.

Im starting my solution proposal write up now...maybe I'll figure something out by the time I come to the Solution portion of the doc. :-)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Zenith BDR's did bare metal (as well as the Datto units, they do it too). But a new Datto and the associated monitoring and services are going to run each client (and there are over 20 affected) somewhere between 7 and 9 thousand dollars. In order to maintain full continuity between the Death Date (Oct 15) of Zenith Infotech cloud and after that, our clients only have a few weeks to make the decision and actually shell out a lot of csah to do so. Most will not want to or be able to on such short notice.

I got tasked with figuring out a solution.

The BDR's are really just Dell Windows storage servers with big gently caress off raid arrays, and we own all of them. If I could figure out a way to backup the servers to these units using something other than the Zenith flavor of Shadow Protect (whose licensing status is up in the air; no one at Zenith has gotten back to me regarding any of my questions regarding this) and then backup the Storage server to a cloud location, it would be perfect.

I'm looking at CrashPlan, because use of their software to backup is free, and you can freely use it to backup multiple machines on your network to another machine. What you pay for is the cloud storage, but if you want to really stay within the spirit of the solution you need to go with their Enterprise solution which charges by the amount of storage you need, as opposed to their "home" solution which is unlimited storage in the cloud.

But in reality the Home solution is pretty perfect: use their software to backup several servers to the former BDR unit, then pay for one account to back that up to the cloud, $60.00 a year unlimited storage.
I tested it out on my home domain and it backed up my 2008 VM server to my desktop which is running the home solution no questions asked,. After that it was just a matter of showing hidden files and adding the server backup location to my desktop's cloud backup, and away it went. It didn't stop me or question the fact that it was backing up a domain controller to a home group desktop and then onto their cloud.

BUT it doesn't do either System state or bare metal, just file backup, so it isnt quite the full Disaster Recovery solution that the old one was.

Acronis is stupid pricey for their cloud only solution, several thousand a year per server for storage up to a TB.
Evault requires a new unit bought from them, as does Datto.

Im starting my solution proposal write up now...maybe I'll figure something out by the time I come to the Solution portion of the doc. :-)

I'd say you should come up with your requirements first. List the things you Must Have and the things you Want to Have.

Then find solutions that match.

If Crashplan's solution works for most of your stuff, have you considered Carbonite? They also have a server solution that does system state and databases and stuff.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Yeah, thats the route I went.

1: we aren't responsible for Zeniths demise, but we can still look like hero's if we have alternatives at varrying price points avalible immediately to replace the Zenith solution.

2. A#1 reccomended full blowout party fest solution: New Datto and all datto services. 5-8K$ depending on size of client and storage needs

3. Carbonite cloud service. Disaster recovery and backups without a local device. Slower to recover data, no access in case of internet down situation, but safe as hell otherwise. not cheap, but wont suck all yo sweet cash. Gimme da caaaash. Nice hat.

4. You cant afford a Datto or Carbonite System State DR but Need local and cloud file backups still? Ok we can utilize the old bdr with crashplan software and save to their cloud for file storage. But you wont get system state disaster recovery. Much less cash for you to spend.

5. Still to expensive? ok. Ibackup for you, call us when you start caring about life again.

3,4 and 5 are basically temporary solutions until client gets head out of rear end and just gets a loving datto JESUS come on already they are amazing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gimme da casssssh!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OADJl-CVDo0

Best movie! The little dance he does at the end is the best.

Anyway, sounds like you've done some thinking. That's good.

Do we have a general backup thread? We probably should.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nagios reports that the chiller inlet temperature is 512C. Either the environmental monitor is on the fritz, or the datacenter is on fire. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Collateral Damage posted:

the datacenter is on fire. :v:

One day our place was doing fire alarm testing or something, and the FIRE strobe light outside the datacentre entrance didn't shut off when they were finished. I took a screenshot of our datacentre temperature monitoring map and changed almost all of the green boxes to red, laid it on top of where the usual monitoring map is. The NOC guy who was on lunch when I did it burst into a meeting the rest of us were sitting in slightly panicked but unsure if he should have interrupted us "Uhh... guys sorry to interrupt, you know what's up with the datacentre? It seems to be on fire?"

Many laughs were had by all.

• Locked thread