Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Sucrose posted:

Maybe I'm wrong. With something like a third of Syria's civilian population displaced and the war in its third year, I was thinking there wouldn't be that many unaligned young men left to recruit, but that could be completely off base. At this point it just seems like logically, with ISIS actually holding territory and acting like a state but having enemies on the ground, that they'd have more to lose from a sustained bombing campaign than they'd gain from recruits angered by the bombing.

But I must be wrong, because they do indeed seem to be intentionally trying to goad the United States and now Britain into war with them, I can't think of much other explanation for the execution videos.

Keep in mind that they have several sources of recruits. There's also the Iraqi Sunni tribes, disaffected rebels in Syria, the pipeline of jihadis that Turkey seems unable to turn off, etc.

They're not lacking for manpower. And as for goading the US and the UK, why not? They thrive off chaos.

New Division fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Typo posted:

lemme guess you expected the buzz words "bush doctrine" and "imperial aggression" to actually mean something in this argument

I don't understand.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Volkerball posted:

The worry is that there are likely thousands of Americans in ISIS, and it only takes two of them deciding to come home and gently caress poo poo up to cause another Boston Marathon.
Just like the killing of two Americans is not a good enough reason to launch another indefinite war against a group, doing the same because perhaps some Americans will launch a terror attack isn't sufficient either. Terrorism is going to affect us no matter what we do, the real important thing is how we react.

This is why I tell people that, like it or not, Bin Laden got what he wanted when he declared war on the US years ago. Yes he's dead and Al Qaeda is a shadow of what it was, but he succeeded in getting us to invade a Muslim country that had not attacked us (which was one of his stated goals), and bleed us heavily in blood and treasure in the process. Plus all of the regional destabilization from the invasion of Iraq has created an even worse version of Al Qaeda.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is why I tell people that, like it or not, Bin Laden got what he wanted when he declared war on the US years ago. Yes he's dead and Al Qaeda is a shadow of what it was, but he succeeded in getting us to invade a Muslim country that had not attacked us (which was one of his stated goals), and bleed us heavily in blood and treasure in the process. Plus all of the regional destabilization from the invasion of Iraq has created an even worse version of Al Qaeda.

Bush was angling for a ME war long before 9/11.

[Insert that Onion article here]

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just like the killing of two Americans is not a good enough reason to launch another indefinite war against a group, doing the same because perhaps some Americans will launch a terror attack isn't sufficient either. Terrorism is going to affect us no matter what we do, the real important thing is how we react.

Don't worry though, THIS time we're gonna get it right! :downs:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

What's with the UFOs in the background?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you support the US attacking IS and effecting regime change at least use a somewhat respectable argument like the US trying to calm the region and support its allies and make sure of friendly control of resources. This Cheney 1% crap is dumb. No one cares about terrorism other than its PR value.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I didn't get the impression the US is going after Assad. It's just not cooperating with him. Openly at least. Wouldn't be surpised if there wasn't some discreet feelers being put out for intelligence.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

euphronius posted:

If you support the US attacking IS and effecting regime change at least use a somewhat respectable argument like the US trying to calm the region and support its allies and make sure of friendly control of resources. This Cheney 1% crap is dumb. No one cares about terrorism other than its PR value.

Terrorism is literally 100% a PR tactic, friend.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe. I guess it depends on how you define it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

Obama started bombing ISIS before even one American had been killed. The two Americans were killed in response. Tens of thousands stranded on an inhospitable mountaintop with a genocidal gang hanging out at the base is absolutely a good enough reason to push back said genocidal gang. Also I'd like to see a source on Osama wanting us to invade a Muslim country, as he mentioned repeatedly the sanctions and bombing campaign against Iraq that killed 500,000 children, so I don't think getting that country bombed to poo poo again was part of his stated agenda.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This argument is dumb because ISIS isn't even a terrorist organization anymore, whatever that means. They are a revolutionary army that has its own quasi-state. They fund their stuff through taxes and oil revenue and poo poo. They fight for territory. The argument that some ISIS members are going to commit terror attacks in the West is shameless scaremongering on the part of Western politicians and pundits. Even if some ISIS members, or even their leadership, planned attacks in Europe, the US or elsewhere, the argument is used for promoting intervention and greater state surveillance. People are rightly comparing it with the Bush era because it is the exact same spiel.

ISIS's victims are overwhelmingly Syrians and Iraqis. ISIS threatens Arab monarchies, US clients and Iran. Those are the ones that have legitimate reasons to worry about ISIS. Not some random American who's shocked by what he hears at Fox News. Man up and hold up your political leaders to scrutiny this time.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
So ISIS just beheaded a British Aid Worker named David Haines. Cannot say I am surprised :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29195872

http://news.yahoo.com/islamic-state-video-purports-show-beheading-uk-hostage-223215071.html

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 14, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

fspades posted:

This argument is dumb because ISIS isn't even a terrorist organization anymore, whatever that means. They are a revolutionary army that has its own quasi-state. They fund their stuff through taxes and oil revenue and poo poo. They fight for territory. The argument that some ISIS members are going to commit terror attacks in the West is shameless scaremongering on the part of Western politicians and pundits. Even if some ISIS members, or even their leadership, planned attacks in Europe, the US or elsewhere, the argument is used for promoting intervention and greater state surveillance. People are rightly comparing it with the Bush era because it is the exact same spiel.

ISIS's victims are overwhelmingly Syrians and Iraqis. ISIS threatens Arab monarchies, US clients and Iran. Those are the ones that have legitimate reasons to worry about ISIS. Not some random American who's shocked by what he hears at Fox News. Man up and hold up your political leaders to scrutiny this time.

"ISIS's victims are overwhelmingly Syrians and Iraqis" would probably make a pretty good protest sign.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

fspades posted:

It is also worth pointing out that the same loving people are in favor of war. When you have Rush on your side, you need to reevaluate your positions.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dude is just celebrating that awesome sale going on.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Snipee posted:

When you have Rush on your side, you need to reevaluate your positions.

This but Alex Jones.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
There's a funny article related to ISIS on a Swiss newspaper talking about the following mythological creatures: unicorns, Santa Claus and moderate Muslims talking against the ISIS. Goes on to talk about how right we were when we banned minarets a few years ago and quotes the late Oriana Fallaci.
I bet a lot of posters here would become mad at it, for it isn't very politically correct and some would even label it "islamophobic" or whatever term you use to people who point out facts about Islam and its pedophile, war criminal founder Muhammed.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Jesus christ gently caress off cippalippus. I've got my doubts about the moderate muslims fighting (because moderates of any stripe are generally pretty poo poo fighters), but calling Mohammed a pedo is disgusting.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cippalippus posted:

There's a funny article related to ISIS on a Swiss newspaper talking about the following mythological creatures: unicorns, Santa Claus and moderate Muslims talking against the ISIS. Goes on to talk about how right we were when we banned minarets a few years ago and quotes the late Oriana Fallaci.
I bet a lot of posters here would become mad at it, for it isn't very politically correct and some would even label it "islamophobic" or whatever term you use to people who point out facts about Islam and its pedophile, war criminal founder Muhammed.

Yes, you did it! By banning minarets you saved Switzerland from ten thousand years of Eurabian darkness and mandatory child loving. :thumbsup:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

I know, and it felt so good to vote yes for that referendum.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cippalippus posted:

There's a funny article related to ISIS on a Swiss newspaper talking about the following mythological creatures: unicorns, Santa Claus and moderate Muslims talking against the ISIS.

http://english.yenisafak.com/World/norway-muslims-take-to-capitals-streets-to-protest-isil-04.09.2014-4023

you racist gently caress

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Islam: not a religion. A race.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so youre just going to ignore my two-second google result that completely debunked your racist talking point in favour of oblivious pedantry, cool

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Yep, that is exactly what I did!

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

so youre just going to ignore my two-second google result that completely debunked your racist talking point in favour of oblivious pedantry, cool
It's taqiyya, hth.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

T. Bombastus posted:

It's taqiyya, hth.

its funny, one of our most up-and-coming politicians is a muslim (in name only, I suspect) woman called Hadja Tajik, and racists in comments sections keep writing her name as "taquiya" or some other ignorant loving iteration of "taquiyya" and then insisting that it's not hate speech because its true, isnt it

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cippalippus posted:

Islam: not a religion. A race.

oh man a semantic argument you put the kibosh on him

So is this Al Baghdadi guy the Caliph or what

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

loving sikhs with their turbans and knives and poo poo i hate those guys

what are you talking about im not racist how dare you

goddamn jews always rubbing their hands about fleecing filthy gentiles

racism no what my issues are strictly theological

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Ugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWMIdHycIII

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Hey let's give total legitimacy to a "religion" founded by a pedo, and full of people who're happy to behead people with kitchen knives or blow themselves up for 70 virgins and a collection of anime in their afterlife. No really it's totally legit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

Hey let's give total legitimacy to a "religion" founded by a pedo, and full of people who're happy to behead people with kitchen knives or blow themselves up for 70 virgins and a collection of anime in their afterlife. No really it's totally legit.

nah lets throw out really boring trolls onto an internet forum instead

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

V. Illych L. posted:

loving sikhs with their turbans and knives and poo poo i hate those guys

what are you talking about im not racist how dare you

goddamn jews always rubbing their hands about fleecing filthy gentiles

racism no what my issues are strictly theological

look, if you don't think we need to wipe the entire Palestinian people off the map you're a loving Anti Semite.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cippalippus posted:

You sure talk poo poo about the pope a lot.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Before we make the situation worse by trying to engage ISIS in any meaningful way, isn't there some way we can steer them towards the Saudis for a while?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Before we make the situation worse by trying to engage ISIS in any meaningful way, isn't there some way we can steer them towards the Saudis for a while?

Can't wait for the current head of the House of Saud to croak. He's pretty ancient now isn't he? That should lead to some interesting stuff in the kingdom. It's been too long since we've seen a good war of succession.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Back to Middle Eastern news, do we know the name of the next British hostage IS is threatening ?

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

You sure talk poo poo about the pope a lot.

Sick burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Cippalippus posted:

What exactly are you doing? What is the point of this? Why are you bothering with this? How is this possibly entertaining or rewarding enough to continue doing?

• Locked thread