Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!
UK has been bad enough the last couple seasons that it's been a while since I got really emotionally invested in a football game for more than a couple quarters.

That one hurt. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Basil Hayden posted:

UK has been bad enough the last couple seasons that it's been a while since I got really emotionally invested in a football game for more than a couple quarters.

Hey, if it helps, Florida's touchdown in the first overtime was bullshit.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

greatn posted:

Hey, if it helps, Florida's touchdown in the first overtime was bullshit.

It was snapped with 0 seconds, but I am not surprised it wasn't called. The slow motion replay makes it look like it was on 0 for a couple of seconds, but it was really a fraction of a second. It makes sense that the officials didn't see it. That actually happens a fair amount.

every
Apr 24, 2008

Ehud posted:

It was snapped with 0 seconds, but I am not surprised it wasn't called. The slow motion replay makes it look like it was on 0 for a couple of seconds, but it was really a fraction of a second. It makes sense that the officials didn't see it. That actually happens a fair amount.

Booo! Boooooo!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

every posted:

Booo! Boooooo!

you mad about over very good qb and his very good pass?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

go3 posted:

Texas has absolutely no depth and we're back to running the Greg Davis playbook. Shoot us into the sun.

The depth thing is true, but will change over time. I am not totally sure what to think of Shawn Watson but there were moments last night when I believed this was a dude who got fired by Colorado and Nebraska.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Lasagna Pilot posted:

The South is the Big 10 of real life.

This needs to be a thread title.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Ehud posted:

fire Muschamp

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

momtartin posted:

Holy poo poo what a game for BG. Once our starting QB went down, and our star WR, a lot of people thought we'd be done for, especially after losing to WKU. Instead we have this fantastic game against Indiana, with scoring back and forth, at home even. Rogers is going to be a beast, and he's only a freshman, and Knapke is drat good as well (set a school record for completions and attempts (46/73) in only his 2nd ever start. Indiana kept shooting themselves in the foot at the end with penalties, but when we scored that last TD with 9 seconds left, I almost went crazy (if I didn't have a sleeping toddler next to me). Fantastic game, and I wish I had been there for it. This is our first win against a B14 team in a few years, though Indiana is improving. In that shithole excuse for a "BCS" conference, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull off a few upsets along the way and manage to get a bowl game.

We play Wisconsin next , which will be a challenge since they're the better team, and it's at Wisconsin. If we go into MAC play at 2-2, I'll be happy as that's where I was hoping we would be (just not with the loss against WKU)

The crowd was electric all game. It was a blast. It's their first win over the B1G since 2007 against Minnesota, and first win over a power conference at home in... poo poo, a long rear end time. This also bears mentioning:

SBNation posted:

After the Falcons had taken the lead with nine seconds left, Tate had his extra point attempt blocked. It was scooped up by a Hoosier defender and Tate made a game saving tackle that prevented the Falcons from experiencing the same fate Alabama had against Auburn in last year's Iron Bowl.

it was nuts

client
Aug 19, 2010

The South Carolina Gamecocks loving own.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

also how the poo poo did BC get USC on the schedule? that seems so far out of left field

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
USC :smith:

GSU :smith:

Chargers :smith:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DJExile posted:

also how the poo poo did BC get USC on the schedule? that seems so far out of left field

No distance is too great to play (what you think is) a cupcake.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

DJExile posted:

Maybe they scheduled the game back when Matt Ryan was still on BC

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

maybe they scheduled it back when BC was a good team?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I suppose so, just seemed random as all hell. I chalked it up to schedules getting juggled because of realignment but that'd make more sense.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
Even B1G homers realize the conference is poo poo, so that's my life these days. It's still weird to see an article like that lead off with Rutgers and Maryland.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Sash! posted:

Pick a negative aspect of modern society.

...diseases kids get when you decide Faygo Redpop is an acceptable drink for an infant, whatever.

The South has many crimes to answer for, but Juggalos are not one of them.

A&M continues its fine tradition of inexplicable defensive performances. We let Rice get more offensive yards and hold the ball for nearly 45 minutes. That's fine against cellists, but against a real team that will get us killed. A&M seems to do a good job rising to occasion against ranked opponents, so I'm not confident about Arkansas or Miss State.

Also, for a school with an actual turf sciences department that field was an outright embarrassment.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Incoherence posted:

Well, Rice gets to look on the bright side: they only gave up 38 despite not having a secondary, they beat the spread, they outgained A&M somehow despite only scoring 10 points, and they have a much better shot at winning the rest of their games.

Really wanted us to score another TD for Transitive Property of Football bragging rights, but we can already say we're as good as Michigan...

In other news, San Francisco parking is loving awful and I missed the entire first half because I drove around for an hour looking for parking near a Rice alumni event before giving up and driving home. Doesn't matter if the bar has Shiner on tap if you can't loving park within a mile of there.

Robble do you live there? I thought a lot of people used mass transit in Frisco.

Go dawgs :woof:
Chaos (sorta) reigns...

every posted:

Uga still gon win this east bitch

every posted:

It's pathetic.

Georgia fans:

The universe hates you and loves everyone else. You were always picked last in gym class. You were good in school but never great. People like you but they'd forget you if you left town. You have a decent job but you're just not good enough to make it to the next level. Your marriage is comfortable but lacks passion. You'll get drunk when you're 40, look down at your pathetic gut and wonder what happened. You used to have dreams. You used to be alive. But even then, you did nothing with it. You'll slink into your chair at 60, cancer eating at your bones, and watch Georgia lose by a last-minute Hail Mary touchdown in the 2048 national championship game. A final "go dawgs" will trickle from your lips as your wasted potential finally fades into the sweet deep void of nonexistence.

This is your reality.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 14, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chump Farts posted:

Also even Michigan has pickups with 40 army of northern virginia flags all loving over, so we can't poo poo on the south too much

When people say "The South" they mean "everywhere outside of New England (and maybe not even counting New Hampshire) except for a handful of cities scattered around".

Basil Hayden posted:

UK did pretty well at least from the box score, or maybe Florida is just still really bad.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

every posted:

Aw man I woke up and Georgia still lost

Give me percocets

I'll trade these percocets and kidney stone to you for my team losing yesterday.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Crotch Bat posted:

If you're shocked VT lost you haven't been actually watching college football ever in your life.

This was not some 12-0 miracle team. They'll finish with 8 or 9 wins(or maybe worse, who knows) but they were probably going to lose this game anyway and they were essentially a lock to do so when they beat OSU.

This was Beamer being Beamer, nothing's changed after OSU. Even Mike London beats a ranked team every now and then.

I wouldn't even necessarily put this on Beamer, I think Foster got too excited about his cover 0 blitzing with everyone up on the line after seeing what it did to OSU and thought that a much more polished passing team would be equally bothered by it. Offense remains a work in progress, but I will grant you this team was never going 12-0, and I'm still more pleased about the W over OSU than I am upset about losing to ECU. The team didn't roll over and let it be a blowout, so credit for the players showing some toughness again even if they poo poo it up at the end.

When we signed that contract until the end of time with them, we were bound to lose 2-3 of them. So whatever, just chalk this up to inevitability.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halah posted:

Even B1G homers realize the conference is poo poo, so that's my life these days. It's still weird to see an article like that lead off with Rutgers and Maryland.

Article posted:

Steve Greenberg @SLGreenberg
Tim Beckman: “You take out 21 points on three plays and we’re in this football game.” Yes, he really said that.

holy poo poo hahahahahaha

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Thoughts on the UGA / South Carolina game:

Mason can't throw the ball, Gurley is good and headbutt a dude which isn't cool but I bet there might have been some jawing from them too, that touchdown taken back for holding should have stayed, our kicker left 6 points on the table, we still create penalties at the worst time, and apparently all that needs to happen for an offense to cut our defense wide the gently caress open is just a passing game. The secondary couldn't play in man or zone all night long. It's hard to look at an offense that scores 35 points and blame them though there were a few really terrible plays. We could have won if any one of those mistakes had at least been corrected. It sucks to lose a game where it was so winnable. Gg cocks.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

computer parts posted:

UK did pretty well at least from the box score, or maybe Florida is just still really bad.

The commentators take on that game was strange. You take two teams with six wins between them last season, have them play a fun, triple overtime game, and then declare them both vastly improved based on that.

It was a fun game and I'll agree that Kentucky will win more than two this season, but they were talking up Florida like they'll be contenders this year.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Did anyone happen to get a gif or something of the missed PAT for Oregon? It happened at the opposite end of the field from my seat and I didn't really get a clear look at what exactly happened. Was it a bad hold/snap, a block, or just a bad kick?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

The commentators take on that game was strange. You take two teams with six wins between them last season, have them play a fun, triple overtime game, and then declare them both vastly improved based on that.

It was a fun game and I'll agree that Kentucky will win more than two this season, but they were talking up Florida like they'll be contenders this year.

SEC SEC SEC

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DJExile posted:

It seems like a natural OOC matchup as both teams at big rivals of ND.

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
Amari Cooper has 33 catches for 454 yards. The rest of Alabama's roster has 35 catches for 440 yards.

Lane Kiffin.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

wootmachine posted:

Amari Cooper has 33 catches for 454 yards. The rest of Alabama's roster has 35 catches for 440 yards.

Lane Kiffin.

I don't even see this as a problem. The guy just gets open first on every goddamned play. So of course you throw it to him.

Kid's better than Julio. We're talking like, Megatron talent here.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Fresno State is real bad this year; if your team has them on their schedule, congratulations.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Thoughts on the UGA / South Carolina game:

Mason can't throw the ball, Gurley is good and headbutt a dude which isn't cool but I bet there might have been some jawing from them too, that touchdown taken back for holding should have stayed, our kicker left 6 points on the table, we still create penalties at the worst time, and apparently all that needs to happen for an offense to cut our defense wide the gently caress open is just a passing game. The secondary couldn't play in man or zone all night long. It's hard to look at an offense that scores 35 points and blame them though there were a few really terrible plays. We could have won if any one of those mistakes had at least been corrected. It sucks to lose a game where it was so winnable. Gg cocks.

I was overall very happy and impressed with how our defense grew up last night, but my god, Mason was chucking ducks all game long and I can't believe we never picked him off. That could certainly be scary for UGA moving forward, but maybe it was just the Williams-Brice Effect. I also think it would help UGA to get those injured receivers back, because they're kind of a one-trick pony right now (albeit a very good one-trick pony).

Agreed that the holding penalty on Gurley's first touchdown was weak, but the refs were pretty awful across the board. I won't belabor the point on Gurley getting away with instigating, but I've also never seen so many weak, bizarre blocking calls in one game. I actually thought the Gurley fight was kind of funny -- he was clearly used to being able to just run untouched for giant gains and not happy with actually being tackled.

South Carolina definitely left some points on the field and made some mistakes as well (both our turnovers were just mind-boggingly stupid), but thankfully we were able to overcome. As usual against UGA, Spurrier was on his A-game, and our offensive line finally looked like one of the best units in the conference. Dylan Thompson also played the best game of his career, I'd say.

Here's a question: What's wrong with Keith Marshall? Is he still recovering or has he been kind of cast aside in favor of Chubb? I feel bad for the dude either way.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

go3 posted:

SEC SEC SEC

This, but unironically.

I'd bet it's the best conference again this year.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Sorry guys

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

computer parts posted:

It being so close is what hurts, though, kind of like the UT games in '07 and '09. If we'd gotten blown out, I mean, UK hasn't won in Gainesville since the '70s, so oh well. If UK'd hung around for most of the game and just gave out near the end, I could just focus on how giving even a questionable UF team a fight is a good sign for a team that's lost 20 games in the last two seasons. But it went to overtime, and there were literally multiple occasions where, if just one more play had gone Kentucky's way... :negative:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

alpha_destroy posted:

On the one hand, Mizzou has played no one of note yet. But, they also have 3 20+ pt victories, which is encouraging. Also, despite what I said earlier in the GDT, the defense actually played well today. If they can maintain pressure on the QB they look pretty good.

Of course, between Mizzou and the crowd in the East I would definitely still pick the crowd. But I still expect them to make some noise. I would not be shocked if they repeated in the East, but I do not expect that. I do think they can compete with South Carolina and Georgia. And I think they still get treated like little kids in the SEC, the first SEC campaign certainly contributes to that, but I would be amazed if they finished worst than 3rd in their division.

Point is, I am pretty encouraged so far. I remember last year pretty much every week people expected the Tigers to poo poo the bed in conference. I expect the same this year. But I also expect a similar result this year, a lot of weeks of people being surprised.

Edit: I mention margin of victory not because I think hanging a lot of points on inferior teams is indicative of future success, but because Pinkel is notorious for not running up the score. I mean the Tigers have lost multiple games since I have paid attention to them because they shut down their offense too early. So any time they win by more than 20 strikes me as surprising.

It's going to be fun to watch this team (of course it is, Maty Mauk is playing). Even more exciting is we should know what the ceiling is in the next 3 weeks.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

We all blame you personally, man.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Hed posted:

It's going to be fun to watch this team (of course it is, Maty Mauk is playing). Even more exciting is we should know what the ceiling is in the next 3 weeks.

Golden and Ray might be better than Sam and Ealy. 14 TFL in 3 games :stare:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Give all Big Ten bowl slots to MAC teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Raku posted:

I don't even see this as a problem.

When he's leg makes a Z shape, it'll be a problem

• Locked thread