Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Organs posted:

how quiet is the xbox one? is it silent during operation or do the fans get noticeably loud when a graphically demanding game is being played? i'd assume it's quiet given the large size of the console and airspace within but figured i might as well ask

I think it's fine. I don't notice it sitting within a few feet of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Yeah I never hear it either. Apparently some are noisy when idle and Microsoft is replacing those ones. It's really quiet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To reiterate the quietness of the device, I use the dumb thing nearly constantly and only discernable noise it makes is when it ejects a disc when you've got your face up near it.

Snapping is definitely a question of whether or not it fits in your general usage but I will say its been a non-stop feature in my home. Grind out Destiny and have the missus watch HGTV. And me watching HGTV when the goddamn unskippable cutscenes in Destiny flare up. Its 2014 and you are an MMO Destiny. That is not acceptable.

Also whoever designed Destiny and thought that your clan shouldn't be a column on the active players tab in the game needs real help since I assume he only just recently escaped to the outside world after being held in an underground bunker working on Destiny since the 1990s.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
It's the quietest disc based console I've ever owned. I guess it helps that the disc doesn't spin as its loaded on the HDD, but I've never noticed the fan noise at all.

Snapping is getting a lot better in the October Update from the beta tester impressions I've read. Apparently the whole UI feels a lot more responsive in the latest preview update, especially the snapping process. They've added some more stuff to the snap list to, like full friends list.

I'd prefer a PIP for the TV snap though, with the option to place it in any corner like the twitch app allows you to with your kinect image. That'd be perfect. I wouldn't rule out the possibility in the future. There's constantly changes to the UI each month, though they do currently use the snap real estate under the TV image to list previous channels viewed last time I checked.

Snapping TV is perfect in some circumstances like the massive gap between rounds in Titanfall, or doing a forza rivals lap during commercial breaks. It's also good for news and stuff that's not too visual. I snap baseball (there's an mlb app that's also snappable) then go full screen when something good happens. I've seen people talking about snapping stuff to watch whilst they do minecrafting too. Netflix seem to have screwed up their last update, it freezes when snapped now.

^Destiny is the least social game I've ever played. It's like there's been hurdles placed specifically to stop people interacting. I'd hope they make some adjustments but this was already evident and discussed widely since the alpha. There's so many simple ways the social interactions could be improved that are so obvious...

Crafty fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 14, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, Netflix can snap now? That is going to be good for Minecraft

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Soonmot posted:

Oh poo poo, Netflix can snap now? That is going to be good for Minecraft

Netflix could snap from the very beginning, but the newest Netflix revamp broke that. It freezes now and you just get sound.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Are any stores still doing the buy the system get a game free deal?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was a manufacturer promo and not a retailer one, so those usually end right on time.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
seriously can't believe the amount of RAM in the Xbox One.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
seriously can't believe the amount of Xbox One in the RAM.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Spacebump posted:

Are any stores still doing the buy the system get a game free deal?

You could get the madden bundle and sell the pack in code, if you're in the US. Other than that I bet there will be some sort of bundle around November Halo time, if not before

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crafty posted:

You could get the madden bundle and sell the pack in code, if you're in the US. Other than that I bet there will be some sort of bundle around November Halo time, if not before

I think Sunsent Overdrive is also getting a White Bone bundle which now that I think about it feels like the color a console called Bone should have come in.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I still can't find any news about that white controller from the Sunset Overdrive bundle being sold separately. Bumming me out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crafty posted:

The promo was in addition to any pack in games I think.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

circ dick soleil posted:

seriously can't believe the amount of RAM in the Xbox One.

Stop doing this

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Barudak posted:

I think Sunsent Overdrive is also getting a White Bone bundle which now that I think about it feels like the color a console called Bone should have come in.

I'm selling my black Xbox to get the white one. I bet they will sell the white controllers separately too, they do for the PS4 equivalent.

And MS now own Minecraft. Two point five billion dollars. :vince:

The Forza demo should be available at midnight.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Crafty posted:

I'm selling my black Xbox to get the white one. I bet they will sell the white controllers separately too, they do for the PS4 equivalent.

The Forza demo should be available at midnight.

O gently caress. I'm working days until training is over. I can't stay up that late!

But my Best Buy preorder of the Day One Edition is bought and paid-for. Hurry up, 9/30!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Crafty posted:

This is so crazy to me. On the one hand, yay Microsoft obviously still cares about gaming. On the other hand, man, that amount of money could have generated a LOT of great new games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

This is so crazy to me. On the one hand, yay Microsoft obviously still cares about gaming. On the other hand, man, that amount of money could have generated a LOT of great new games.

It's probably from their big "gently caress you, US" offshore stash they can't bring into the country without paying taxes on.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I am hyped as heck to dive into Forza tomorrow. I am not even sure what an FH demo looks like in terms of content as its an open world game but I am still hyped.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

I don't think MS bought Mojang sinply because they care about gaming. They bought Mojang so they'll own the rights to all the Minecraft cartoons, toys, movies, theme park attractions, etc. that will soon be/already exist.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I don't think MS bought Mojang sinply because they care about gaming. They bought Mojang so they'll own the rights to all the Minecraft cartoons, toys, movies, theme park attractions, etc. that will soon be/already exist.

Warner Brothers is already I development on a film. So we can now all agree that Minecraft is better for a film than Halo.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Warner Brothers is already I development on a film. So we can now all agree that Minecraft is better for a film than Halo.

but it wont be better than Lego Movie :-(

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I am hyped as heck to dive into Forza tomorrow. I am not even sure what an FH demo looks like in terms of content as its an open world game but I am still hyped.

I'm hoping it's more than the point to point race that was shown off at games com and e3 as the demo is 12gb.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Barudak posted:

Christ, that'll be a loving eyesore.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Laserface posted:

Christ, that'll be a loving eyesore.

Not if they make it 1080p :cheers:

The forza demo has some nice off roading https://account.xbox.com/en-GB/gameclips?gamertag=Official+Upload there's a clip of it here.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I was just in a physical bookstore (I feel the need to clarify that in this day and age) and noticed that there are actual official minecraft handbooks for clueless parents/grandparents to buy their children. So yeah it's a franchise now.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...oqid=1410823232

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

To be fair, I think the 500m is for a trilogy of games plus a total of 9 DLC expansions or something like that.

No, it's $200 million development and $300 million world wide advertising.

Advertising people get paid, yo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

I was just in a physical bookstore (I feel the need to clarify that in this day and age) and noticed that there are actual official minecraft handbooks for clueless parents/grandparents to buy their children. So yeah it's a franchise now.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...oqid=1410823232

They sell t-shirts, foam weapons, lunchboxes, and all sorts of other minecraft poo poo.

Apparently according to Microsoft internal documents they expect Mojang to have paid for itself in 2015 which is gob-loving insane because that'd be 8 times the profits Minecraft is averaging so expect a goddamn deluge of purchasable poo poo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why, is my biggest question.

Its a developer with a single game that still isnt really finished and they have no track record of success beyond that. they'd have been better off buying someone with a reputation for making quality games that turn profits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laserface posted:

Its a developer with a single game that still isnt really finished and they have no track record of success beyond that. they'd have been better off buying someone with a reputation for making quality games that turn profits.

Minecraft is, in all fairness, a goddamn goldmine. It also is a goldmine with younger kids a traditionally fickle market that's hard to court. Now, exactly how that translates to a sensible $2.5 billion purchase I don't know but there is some baseline of reasoning.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Laserface posted:

They don't give a poo poo about Mojang. They want to own what Mojang owns. That's why.

Minecraft is going to get MS lots and lots of money.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is there a menu in the store that shows all games with gold on the One or do you just need to look them up online?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Notch should have discreetly sold the Minecraft IP to Sony just before selling the useless Mojang to Microsoft. He could have had 5 billion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Is there a menu in the store that shows all games with gold on the One or do you just need to look them up online?

On the starting splash screen (assuming you don't boot direct to TV) you go over to the thing that says Games with Gold and it'll have the months. Like the PSN network before it they rotate out monthly and if you miss getting them in that month no take backs so a list of all games with gold of all time isn't the most useful thing.

This month is a good albeit very acquired taste title (Super Time Force) and a mediocre at best and very acquired taste title (Crimson Dragon).

J-Spot posted:

Notch should have discreetly sold the Minecraft IP to Sony just before selling the useless Mojang to Microsoft. He could have had 5 billion.

From Microsoft's little investor spiel document they published its very obvious they don't value Mojang highly at all and its all about that sweet, sweet IP.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Spacebump posted:

It's the bottom right tile on the home screen for me, it says something like ' get more with gold'. When I click that it takes me to the free games and the deal of the week.

Reddit keeps an up to date list too.
Gwg http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/wiki/gameswithgold#wiki_xbox_one
Deals with gold http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/wiki/dealsoftheweek#wiki_deals_of_the_week2

Crafty fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 16, 2014

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soul Glo posted:

They don't give a poo poo about Mojang. They want to own what Mojang owns. That's why.

Minecraft is going to get MS lots and lots of money.

To return even on the investment of 2.5 billion dollars with no other factors involved, Mojang/Minecraft would have to continue their record setting year 25 more years in a row for Microsoft to break even.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

J-Spot posted:

Sony are broke. In fact they are so broke they are doing the opposite to Microsoft and have been shutting down several of their studios.

Asema posted:

To return even on the investment of 2.5 billion dollars with no other factors involved, Mojang/Minecraft would have to continue their record setting year 25 more years in a row for Microsoft to break even.

MS have something like 300 billion in reserve that's just sitting there earning interest. What they mean by return on investment is that the 2.5 billion they spent there will earn them more than it just sitting there in the bank (~300 mill per year over ~25).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hanyolo posted:

Sony are broke. In fact they are so broke they are doing the opposite to Microsoft and have been shutting down several of their studios.

MS have something like 300 billion in reserve that's just sitting there earning interest. What they mean by return on investment is that the 2.5 billion they spent there will earn them more than it just sitting there in the bank (~300 mill per year over ~25).

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the only developer microsoft have got that are worth anything are turn 10

• Locked thread