Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

limekle posted:

My apologies if I'm missing something here, just trying to figure out the logistics of this promo...

I have a line with a 4S on it that has an upgrade waiting. Is there a way to trade it in for a 6 without having to spend "a couple weeks" without a phone? I unfortunately do not have a spare to put on there in-between.

Can I preorder tonight and wait until the 6 gets here to send in the 4S? I understand that the credit won't be here until later.

Yes, you totally can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.

hoobajoo posted:

Yes, you totally can do that.

Thank you. I figured that was the case but then after reading someone saying that you had to wait to receive the actual credit before you could order the 6 had me all confused.

Also, I assume it would be no issue to pay the extra $100 to upgrade to the 64gb?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

From that FAQ the whole thing sounds like:

1) You buy an iPhone 6 in any flavor/size
2) You either give back the phone in store, or order a return kit online. It reads like if you go the online route, you have to wait 4-6 weeks to get to step 3, but the faq here implies they can evaluate your trade in store and give you a gift card on the spot.
3) They give you a $200 gift card you can use on your phone bill or on accessories.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Does Verizon still buy out ETFs? I'm moving to Southern California and I hear verizon is good there as well as maybe give me a chance to upgrade my sprint iPhone 5s to a 6

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

tranten posted:

Does Verizon still buy out ETFs? I'm moving to Southern California and I hear verizon is good there as well as maybe give me a chance to upgrade my sprint iPhone 5s to a 6

I don't think they ever did. Buying out ETFs is a new thing, and I think TMobile and maybe Sprint are the only ones doing that.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
just ordered iphone 6 64GB on vzw

dunno why i could already do it but let's hope it went through...

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Quick Verizon question: I was planning on changing from Sprint to Verizon when I pre-ordered an iPhone 6. I wasn't expecting it to ask me for a PIN/password for my old Sprint account when moving. I guessed at what my PIN was and figured I could just go change my PIN on Sprint's website right away before Verizon polled Sprint's info, but now Sprint's site is down so I can't do that.

How late in the process can I call Verizon or Sprint to figure out what I need to do to make sure Sprint doesn't tell Verizon to cancel my phone order?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

mulls posted:

Quick Verizon question: I was planning on changing from Sprint to Verizon when I pre-ordered an iPhone 6. I wasn't expecting it to ask me for a PIN/password for my old Sprint account when moving. I guessed at what my PIN was and figured I could just go change my PIN on Sprint's website right away before Verizon polled Sprint's info, but now Sprint's site is down so I can't do that.

How late in the process can I call Verizon or Sprint to figure out what I need to do to make sure Sprint doesn't tell Verizon to cancel my phone order?

Call and port the numbers after you get the new phone. Just order the iphones and call and do the port that day. Ports take like 5 min anymore.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Call and port the numbers after you get the new phone. Just order the iphones and call and do the port that day. Ports take like 5 min anymore.

So the issue is I put the wrong number in the PIN/Password field when giving my Sprint account information in Verizon's online form.

I called Verizon and asked about modifying my order. The sales rep said they would ship me the phone no matter what but that I wouldn't be able to activate it without calling Verizon to fix the PIN issue. She said they ship out phones no matter what even if the PIN is wrong. Does that sound reasonable or was she just trying to get rid of me?

I'm pretty skeptical but it's not the end of the world if I don't get a new phone right on 9/19, as long as this won't result in my order being cancelled altogether.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

mulls posted:

So the issue is I put the wrong number in the PIN/Password field when giving my Sprint account information in Verizon's online form.

I called Verizon and asked about modifying my order. The sales rep said they would ship me the phone no matter what but that I wouldn't be able to activate it without calling Verizon to fix the PIN issue. She said they ship out phones no matter what even if the PIN is wrong. Does that sound reasonable or was she just trying to get rid of me?

I'm pretty skeptical but it's not the end of the world if I don't get a new phone right on 9/19, as long as this won't result in my order being cancelled altogether.

She is right, it'll ship. Since the port doesn't even happen until you activate the phone, there's no way to even know if the info is right until you have it in your hands.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Is the following possible:

My parents and girlfriend want to hop onto my plan and do a family plan deal (More Everything?). My mother's phone is up for upgrade, and she agreed to let me use her upgrade to get an iPhone 6 (or whatever I end up with). If I were to use her phone, and give her my iPhone 5s, would I be able to retain my phone number? I assume they'd just flash a SIM card for the 6 with her info and then swap them?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Psyker posted:

Is the following possible:

My parents and girlfriend want to hop onto my plan and do a family plan deal (More Everything?). My mother's phone is up for upgrade, and she agreed to let me use her upgrade to get an iPhone 6 (or whatever I end up with). If I were to use her phone, and give her my iPhone 5s, would I be able to retain my phone number? I assume they'd just flash a SIM card for the 6 with her info and then swap them?

Yes. Basically you'd do an assumption of liability to get all the numbers on your account, use her upgrade to get you a new phone. Then once you had said new phone, the 5S can be moved to her line.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

hoobajoo posted:

Yes. Basically you'd do an assumption of liability to get all the numbers on your account, use her upgrade to get you a new phone. Then once you had said new phone, the 5S can be moved to her line.

That's a good plan then. They're paying basically $80/month each and only use their phones occasionally, so it's a win-win for everyone involved.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Psyker posted:

Now that I've seen this, and I had to dig a little to find it on the website, would this lock me into an additional 2 year contract for the switch or would it just be an as-is switch to a different plan?

Just called customer service and did this. I had to recommit to a 2 year contract, and was able to preorder my new phone on the same call. Pretty painless, and she backdated the plan change to August 20, which was pretty cool, but it definitely didn't seem to be just an anytime switch.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

She is right, it'll ship. Since the port doesn't even happen until you activate the phone, there's no way to even know if the info is right until you have it in your hands.

That's awesome. Thanks for you help, I really appreciate it.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

How long can you delay sending the phone in for the iPhone 6 tradein program?

It looks like I'm going to miss the first preorder window and estimated shipping dates are in October past the 9/30 end date of the trade in promotion.

I have no problem waiting for the new phone but I don't have a spare I can use in the meantime.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Buddy of mine used his upgrade to buy a iPhone 6 for me. When it comes in, can I activate it without activating it on his line first or does that cause problems? Google seems to have mixed results.

Some say you need to have him call, some day if needs to be activated first, some say it's fine.

Just want to avoid it because he is going out of the country for 2 weeks and don't want to screw up his phone plan.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Virtue posted:

How long can you delay sending the phone in for the iPhone 6 tradein program?

It looks like I'm going to miss the first preorder window and estimated shipping dates are in October past the 9/30 end date of the trade in promotion.

I have no problem waiting for the new phone but I don't have a spare I can use in the meantime.

The appraised value includes a promotional offer that requires a purchase of an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus on Verizon Wireless by 9/30/2014. Your device must be mailed to Verizon Wireless within 7 days after receiving the new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus but no later than 12/01/2014. Device received after 12/01/2014 will be reassessed at current market value. Damaged and non-working devices will be appraised according to their condition at time of inspection.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does someone have a link to Verizon's website showing this deal? When I put in my 4S to trade in, it only appraised it for 75 bucks or so. It's supposed to be a $199 credit, right?

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I don't have an upgrade available but I want an iPhone 6 since I started my contract a year ago with the 5S, which I intend on selling. Trying to figure out the easiest/cheapest way to buy. I guess I can just buy the unlocked T-Mobile unlocked phone, that way I won't have to eat the $40 upgrade charge? It looks like all the model numbers are the same, other than the Sprint phone. Sound right?

EDIT: I guess the T-Mo version isn't compatible at all with Verizon, so I'm not sure how to do this without paying the upgrade fee, even though I'm buying outright.

BusinessWallet fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 13, 2014

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does someone have a link to Verizon's website showing this deal? When I put in my 4S to trade in, it only appraised it for 75 bucks or so. It's supposed to be a $199 credit, right?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/iphone?null click on Why Verizon and you'll see it in the middle of the page.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

BusinessWallet posted:

EDIT: I guess the T-Mo version isn't compatible at all with Verizon, so I'm not sure how to do this without paying the upgrade fee, even though I'm buying outright.

Just buy the phone from Verizon at full price? This page says the upgrade fee doesn't apply if you buy at full retail price.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/WirelessService/upgradefee.html

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Yeah, saw that now - thanks! I was trying to buy through Apple's website and it was telling me I had to pay the upgrade fee.

43% Burnt
Aug 5, 2004
DID I STUTTER
So I had this grand plan laid out to get a $200 gift card and keep my unlimited, but as i think about it, the less I think it will work.

I have two lines to work with, one line with no contract and an unlimited data plan (line A) and one line with a current contract with a 2GB data plan (line B). I have already transferred my upgrade from line A to line B. In addition, I purchased a refurbished iPhone 4 from eBay for $80 bucks to trade in for the $200 gift card. However, I just realized that I will have to sign a new 2-year contract to get the gift card. How will that work with line A's upgrade being used on line B? Will line A be put on a new 2 year contract, or will line B's contract just have two more years tacked on? Will line A lose unlimited? Will it just not work at all?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

43% Burnt posted:

So I had this grand plan laid out to get a $200 gift card and keep my unlimited, but as i think about it, the less I think it will work.

I have two lines to work with, one line with no contract and an unlimited data plan (line A) and one line with a current contract with a 2GB data plan (line B). I have already transferred my upgrade from line A to line B. In addition, I purchased a refurbished iPhone 4 from eBay for $80 bucks to trade in for the $200 gift card. However, I just realized that I will have to sign a new 2-year contract to get the gift card. How will that work with line A's upgrade being used on line B? Will line A be put on a new 2 year contract, or will line B's contract just have two more years tacked on? Will line A lose unlimited? Will it just not work at all?

I thought you had to sign a contract, but it turns out you do not have to. You only need to sign a contract for it to be effectively "free," which is what they were advertising it as (that is, $200 minus $200 credit).

quote:

You will receive a $200 VZW Trade-in Gift Card when you trade in your old iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, or iPhone 5c, and purchase a new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus with a new Verizon Edge agreement, 2 year contract, or when you pay full retail price.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 13, 2014

43% Burnt
Aug 5, 2004
DID I STUTTER

kitten smoothie posted:

I thought you had to sign a contract, but it turns out you do not have to. You only need to sign a contract for it to be "free."

Yeah, I saw that, but I transferred line A's upgrade to line B in order to get a subsidized phone and retain my unlimited by transferring it back to line A after leaving the store.

edit: I guess my question is this: when you transfer line A's upgrade to line B and use it, who gets the contract extension? Line A or line B?

43% Burnt fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 13, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I am astounded at how ridiculously backordered the 6+ is but how many Gold regular ones I can still D-Fill.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I am astounded at how ridiculously backordered the 6+ is but how many Gold regular ones I can still D-Fill.

Yeah just went on to pre-order mine and the 16/64GB Grey/Silver 6's are all backordered, but the 16-128GB Gold are all delivered by launch day. Surprised, but I'm glad I get one launch day! I'm curious to see if the backorders are due to big demand or just smaller supply - would be surprised if THAT many people wanted to jump from a 3.5-4" to a 5.5" phone.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Man. $200 credit for the iPhone 4S that has been sitting in my closet is pretty great.

Is there any way to give them the 4S or start this process before getting the ESN for the new phone? The people at the store said I had to come back once we got the iPhone 6 on 10/7 to credit the promotion to that ESN. Kind of a pain.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

This implies if you come back on 10/7 you will be SOL. You have until 9/30 to either take the phone into the store, or go online to request a trade-in kit be sent to you. If you have them mail you a kit, then you have to put your phone in it and send it back by 11/15.

The trade-in window opened yesterday, so it sounded to me like if you have an open order already then you can do the trade. Obviously nobody has their new iPhone 6 yet if they're taking trades already. I have a preorder expected to deliver Friday; I'm going to try to trade in my junk drawer iPhone 4 tomorrow to see what they say.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I'm still trying to figure out if the trade in promotion is for an iPhone 6 purchased from Verizon or if it only has to be activated on Verizon. I did my order through Apple since I wanted to pick it up at a store.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

43% Burnt posted:

You will lose unlimited. There's really no such thing as "transferring" an upgrade, all you do is process a normal upgrade on one line and activate the line on another, since your unlimited data line is the only line that's upgrade eligible that's the line that would have it's contract extended, and once the contract is extended to get subsidized pricing for a phone you have to switch to current pricing. If keeping unlimited is that important to you, you're going to have to buy the phone out of pocket

e: that said, you should still be able to trade in the iPhone to get the giftcard, so $200 off whatever phone you're getting

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

kitten smoothie posted:

Just buy the phone from Verizon at full price? This page says the upgrade fee doesn't apply if you buy at full retail price.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/WirelessService/upgradefee.html

Just to make sure I understand, if I trade in my Edge iPhone 5S, I'd basically get the 6 for free but be responsible for the monthly still?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Darn, this has been a confusing couple of weeks.
Our upgrade was due in middle of October and my wife and I had decided to upgrade to an iPhone 5S (going from an IPhone 4 since it would be discounted due to the iPhone 6). We were then going to turn our iPhones into iPod touches for our daughters (4 and 2 years old) so they could play their games and listen to music.
Then I heard about the trade in deal for the iPhone 6 (heard from a student and did not believe him at first) and we had began to look for cheap iPod touches since we would send in our phones to get a new one.
Today, my wife checked our account and our upgrade date was moved to 9/13 (a whole month earlier). Now I just read about how you pay for the new phone up front and then get your gift card later. I had thought that they would not charge you up front and if you sent in a damaged phone or never sent in a phone, they would just charge your account. Unfortunately, we do not have the extra $400 for 2 phones. Oh well.
I guess we are back to the iPhone 5S plan but I was wondering if the price will go down more once October rolls around. Should we wait a few more weeks or is the price as low as it will go for the time being?

Is the 5S that different (besides size) than the 6?

We did talk with a Verizon CS rep today and he did say to keep your phone until you get your new phone so you do not have to worry about being without a phone for a few weeks (you just have to wait for the gift card).

Also, thanks thread for the plan info. We will be able to save $30 a month by switching to the unlimited talk, text and 2 GB (now we are paying $75 for 700 mins talk, 500 texts and 2GB). Thanks!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I would not count on the 6 dropping in price this year. Apple didn't even do Black Friday sales for the 5S. Though it's entirely the trade in promo window might get extended, it's been super successful from what I can tell.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

hoobajoo posted:

I would not count on the 6 dropping in price this year. Apple didn't even do Black Friday sales for the 5S. Though it's entirely the trade in promo window might get extended, it's been super successful from what I can tell.

Sorry, I misspoke. I was wondering if the price of the 5S would drop any?

I would not expect the 6 to drop for at least 6 months but, like you said, this promo could very well be extended.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Sorry, I misspoke. I was wondering if the price of the 5S would drop any?

I would not expect the 6 to drop for at least 6 months but, like you said, this promo could very well be extended.

Gotcha. I wouldn't expect it to, but if you're fine with waiting to see, there's no harm in it.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Apparently Verizon moved the upgrade dates on people's accounts to an earlier date. Good news for the people in here worried about not having an iPhone 6 plusxxx as soon as possible. Shudder, catastrophe avoided.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Would have been nice before preorders opened. Oh well. Maybe I can get them to change my new line to an upgrade at the Apple Store (I probably won't be able to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Anyone had luck selling an unlimited data line on an account that has shared minutes? Do you have to sell the whole account or can you sell single lines?

I have an account with one smartphone that has unlimited data, and two basic $9.99/mo lines (for my parents) with contracts expiring 10/14 and 05/15. Nationwide 700 plan, total cost after fees and everything ends up being like $130/mo.

Is it possible to sell just the unlimited line? How would someone else pick that line up if they can't get a new Nationwide plan anymore?

edit: I called Verizon and naturally got two conflicting answers.

The first rep I spoke to said that any Assumption of Liability process causes unlimited to drop, period.

The second rep (I called the AOL department direct this time) says that someone assuming liability can work with keeping unlimited just fine, in multiple ways:

- over my whole account, keeping everything the same.

- over my smartphone line only, for someone with no Verizon account. They would end up with an account with my unlimited smartphone line on a Nationwide 700 plan (the rep said it's "hit or miss" trying to change the minutes and texting plans, sometimes it works and sometimes it gives them an error, but nothing that would kill the unlimited data) and I'd be left with a Nationwide 700 plan with the two $9.99/mo lines.

- over my smartphone line only, for someone with an existing Verizon account. They would be apparently be able to add my smartphone unlimited line to their account, even if they currently have shared data/minutes - the unlimited line would have a separate minute plan as well as the separate data plan, I guess they have an individual 300 minute plan that can be used. Again, I'd be left with a Nationwide 700 plan with the two $9.99/mo lines.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 15, 2014

• Locked thread