Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Endorph posted:

Really the WoR has way more character dialogue/interaction than the WoB, but that isn't saying much. That just isn't FF6's strong suit.

I don't know how you can think this. Terra was such a important character in the first half. In the second half, she has only a few lines of dialogue in 2 scenes. No major meaningful interaction with any of the other cast members in the party. (How could she when the game didn't know what characters you would pick for that part?)

Same for Locke. He has about 10 lines of dialogue contained in one scene in the WoR. The only character interaction any members of the party have with him is Celes asking "What's up?" That's it after all the story between the two in the first half. How can you not be disappointed by that? It makes me wonder if Square developers were working on WoR one day and then the higher ups just came in and told them Hey guys, the deadline is up, stop what you're doing and turn in what you have.

There's no group interaction between all the members of the party once you have more than four characters. But how could there be when the game didn't know what characters you recruited and which characters you're using? I realize there's not that much in the WoB, however the moments they did have were nice. Not having it at all was disappointing.

If WoR was more like the first half, I could easily see it being one of the best RPGs ever. Wouldn't it have been fantastic if they did another character split in the WoR? First you control Celes, Edgar, and Sabin. Then you control another three characters somewhere else in the world. Then another three. Then they all meet up at the end. Locke, Strago, and Cyan for example. Imagine what adventures they could have.

ImpAtom posted:

Huh? Almost every major character gets plot and development in the second half of FFVI. It is just based around their own story instead of them being party members. Which is how it is in the first half too. You don't get Edgar and Sabin's plot unless you bring them along, you don't get Locke's plot unless you visit a certain place, ect. Required character plot development in FFVI is limited to like Celes and Terra and maybe Locke aside from that one section where everyone splits up.

Meanwhile the WoR has the resolution to most character's plots. Certain minor characters (Strago being a big example here) don't really get much and Relm/Shadow's stuff is hidden behind dreams but even Gau gets a big plot resolution in the WoR.

Those little stories for each character are so disconnected from everything else. Even from the rest of the cast. Characters are given one moment and then tossed aside never to be discussed again. There were parts like that in the WoB, but there were also like you said, the branching stories part, in fact the whole beginning up to the point where Terra flies away, the part where Locke and Celes go to the Opera House, the part where Terra, Locke, and Shadow go to Thamesa and meet Strago and Relm. All my favorite parts of the game. WoB required you to have to certain members most of the time. And when they weren't, major world events were still happening such as the Empire making a truce. In WoR, the villain just sits in a tower the whole time. There's no sense of urgency. You don't even have a secondary villain like Ultros being a nuisance. You're just going around collecting characters. Since it's optional, you know nothing you find will have implications other than for that one character. You know characters in your party won't react to that character's story in any meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Since it's optional, you know nothing you find will have implications other than for that one character. You know characters in your party won't react to that character's story in any meaningful way.

Except they do? Like, it's specifically structured so this can happen. Not every character reacts to every scene but that would be silly. Celes is there to react to Locke, Cyan is there to react to Gau, Relm and Strago obviously are there for each other, Sabin will have reactions to Edgar if you've recruited him beforehand... like the stuff you're claiming isn't true.

Edit:
Also, honestly, you're not wrong about 'characters are there for their plot and kinda ignored otherwise' but that applies to the bulk of Final Fantasy games. It's something I'd prefer to be fixed but it isn't exclusive to FFVI at all. It even shows up in FFIV which has a set cast and super-linear progression, let alone the later games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 14, 2014

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ImpAtom posted:

Except they do? Like, it's specifically structured so this can happen. Not every character reacts to every scene but that would be silly. Celes is there to react to Locke, Cyan is there to react to Gau, Relm and Strago obviously are there for each other, Sabin will have reactions to Edgar if you've recruited him beforehand... like the stuff you're claiming isn't true.

Well, I did say meaningful way. Celes in reacting to Locke just had two lines. One of them was "What's up?" The other is "Locke.." Then they never speak to each again until the ending. Compare that interaction to their interaction in the first half. No one else talks to Locke again either. Cyan has two lines talking about Gau's hat. That is seriously the limit of his interaction with another character in the party in the WoR. I think they clearly made relationships and chemistry of the cast less of a priority in WoR.

quote:

Edit:
Also, honestly, you're not wrong about 'characters are there for their plot and kinda ignored otherwise' but that applies to the bulk of Final Fantasy games. It's something I'd prefer to be fixed but it isn't exclusive to FFVI at all. It even shows up in FFIV which has a set cast and super-linear progression, let alone the later games.

I like that FF4's cast are constantly talking to one another. Each of your party members are always reacting to an event in their own way, they're exchanging banter, butting heads with each other, or flirting with each other in the case of Edge and Rydia. FFX did this same thing but x 100. A large part of why it's easily my favorite FF.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Terranigma good. A goat begs you to eat its dead mate so you can live, then soliloquizes about eat or be eaten.

Also the MC is the literal alpha and omega and gets to see most of the stuff in between, like the birth of Simba. :cool:

Hes got the whoooole wooo-oorld~ in his hands~

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nathilus posted:

Terranigma good. A goat begs you to eat its dead mate so you can live, then soliloquizes about eat or be eaten.
It's creepier than you remember: Ark is mortified when the goat starts eating her head husband. Terranigma was a pretty great game, even if I always felt that the ending, for all the improvements you can put into the towns, didn't reflect that effort enough. Shame they never ported the Soulblazer trilogy to like the DS or something.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

How can you talk about the best snes rpgs without mentioning Mario RPG? I realize it's not as weighty as some others but it had some of the most fun gameplay of any game on the system. And the story good goofy fun too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mario RPG is a god damned masterpiece.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love Mario RPG but I always kinda go back and forth on just how good it is. I love parts of it but other parts of it are kinda bad. I'll always enjoy it and it's charming as gently caress but the later Mario RPGs really refined the combat system. Not that it's fair to hold Mario RPG to the standards of the things inspired by it, but still.

I do miss having three-person parties though, even if it was effectively Mario + Peach + whoever else you wanted due to Mario being require and Peach being busted as hell, especially with the Lazy Shell.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
The later Mario RPGs never clicked with me. Both the world and characters of the original are just really charming and I love the heck outta 'em. Mario and Luigi wandering around the Bean Kingdom just isn't as much fun I don't think. I recognize that nostalgia plays some part in that, but I really do feel like it's missing that charm factor that Square brought to SMRPG.

It's such a simple mechanic next to everything else, and I know it's brought up a lot, but I wish more JRPGs had timed attacks like SMRPG did. It had the perfect approach to it too: take advantage of the mechanic if you want, but it's never required.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Mario & Luigi series is made by AlphaDream, whereas Paper Mario came from Intelligent Systems (also responsible for Fire Emblem). They're hard to compare directly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bongo Bill posted:

The Mario & Luigi series is made by AlphaDream, whereas Paper Mario came from Intelligent Systems (also responsible for Fire Emblem). They're hard to compare directly.

Having only played a little of either I'd say Mario & Luigi are more directly ancestors descendents of the SNES Mario RPG and Paper Mario is much more it's own thing.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 15, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

BloodWulfe posted:

The later Mario RPGs never clicked with me. Both the world and characters of the original are just really charming and I love the heck outta 'em. Mario and Luigi wandering around the Bean Kingdom just isn't as much fun I don't think. I recognize that nostalgia plays some part in that, but I really do feel like it's missing that charm factor that Square brought to SMRPG.

It's such a simple mechanic next to everything else, and I know it's brought up a lot, but I wish more JRPGs had timed attacks like SMRPG did. It had the perfect approach to it too: take advantage of the mechanic if you want, but it's never required.

This may sound crazy, but I personally think the South Park RPG is probably the best homage battle wise to Super Mario RPG. It's all about timing your attacks, and trying to extend yours through silly timing that in all honestly didn't matter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

This may sound crazy, but I personally think the South Park RPG is probably the best homage battle wise to Super Mario RPG. It's all about timing your attacks, and trying to extend yours through silly timing that in all honestly didn't matter.

The South Park game was an intentional homage to Paper Mario. Like straight up. It's even why it has the two-person parties with the swapping in and out because Paper Mario has that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It would be a pretty impressive trick for Mario & Luigi to be the "ancestor" of a game that came out eight years previously. Less pedantically, Paper Mario was called Super Mario RPG 2 while in development.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bongo Bill posted:

It would be a pretty impressive trick for Mario & Luigi to be the "ancestor" of a game that came out eight years previously. Less pedantically, Paper Mario was called Super Mario RPG 2 while in development.

I meant descendant, you self described pedant. And Paper Mario is a sequel to SMRPG in the same sense Yoshi's Island is Super Mario World 2 compared to the New Super Mario Series.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Has anyone ever hacked a non-hardmode version of the US 7th Saga release? I got pretty far in that game even with the US insane difficulty, but it required a shitload of grinding in every area.

Soul Blazer does still hold up really well, but I challenge anyone not to spend the entire end segment with "Soul Man" stuck in their head.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Am I alone in preferring Illusion of Gaia over Terranigma? Wonky translation aside, it just seemed like a much more intimate and well told story.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Nate RFB posted:

Am I alone in preferring Illusion of Gaia over Terranigma? Wonky translation aside, it just seemed like a much more intimate and well told story.

From a purely plot perspective? I'd still say that on the whole the story is better presented in Terranigma.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

BloodWulfe posted:

I despise this mechanic and it turns me off of playing any turn-based / menu-driven-battle JRPG that has it (most recently Lost Odyssey). It stresses me out and I just want to select an option and know what will happen, not have to do a QTE every time I hit Attack.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

chairface posted:

Has anyone ever hacked a non-hardmode version of the US 7th Saga release? I got pretty far in that game even with the US insane difficulty, but it required a shitload of grinding in every area.

Soul Blazer does still hold up really well, but I challenge anyone not to spend the entire end segment with "Soul Man" stuck in their head.

There's this: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/264/ - it gives back the normal stat gains from the japanese version making the game a bit easier.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

hubris.height posted:

From a purely plot perspective? I'd still say that on the whole the story is better presented in Terranigma.
I like the ending and beginning but most of the middle sections of Terranigma just seemed kind of forgettable (it got better once the humans arrived). And despite liking the ending the last third of the game is a bit nonsensical. From a gameplay perspective I think IoG was a bit better balanced too, thanks to the leveling system being tied to the areas you could clear out. Whereas Terranigma being one level too low meant you'd deal 1 HP of damage.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

BloodWulfe posted:

Coolest Game Final Fantasy VIII has timed attacks, but I will confess that I could never land them consistently with anyone other than Squall. Most of the other characters I could get it with once in a while, but I think with Rinoa I just gave up entirely on trying to figure out the timing.

Not that timed attacks matter for too long in that game, since you can pretty quickly start doing ridiculous damage without them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Armor-Piercing posted:

Coolest Game Final Fantasy VIII has timed attacks, but I will confess that I could never land them consistently with anyone other than Squall. Most of the other characters I could get it with once in a while, but I think with Rinoa I just gave up entirely on trying to figure out the timing.

Not that timed attacks matter for too long in that game, since you can pretty quickly start doing ridiculous damage without them.

None of the other characters have them. That's the reason why Squall and Seifer both only crit for 150% damage instead of double like everyone else.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

dis astranagant posted:

None of the other characters have them. That's the reason why Squall and Seifer both only crit for 150% damage instead of double like everyone else.
That makes me feel a lot better about not being able to pull it off with the other characters, but a lot worse for beating the game twice without somehow noticing that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Armor-Piercing posted:

That makes me feel a lot better about not being able to pull it off with the other characters, but a lot worse for beating the game twice without somehow noticing that.
Think of it as practice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I like the characters and world more in IoG but I feel Terranigma is better told.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Oh.

Well.

Now I feel like a moron.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BloodWulfe posted:

Oh.

Well.

Now I feel like a moron.
How many times have you played FF8, trying to land timed hits with everyone? Be honest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've started switching up Dawn of the New World with bouts of Tales of Vesperia, as I've never played it before either and wanted to enjoy a good Tales game. Repede is awesome. Why can't more JRPG's have a badass pipe-smoking dog as a party member? :allears:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Endorph posted:

How many times have you played FF8, trying to land timed hits with everyone? Be honest.

Only three times, but one of those was just this last year. :(

R1, R1, R1

What the hell, c'mon! When do I need to trigger this? Is it right when her whip goes CRACK?

Ugh Rinoa you're the worst. Maybe if I wait a split second longer next time.

:downs:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BloodWulfe posted:

Yeah, I agree. Honestly I think the whole Soul Blazer Trilogy has aged well. No surprise that they got better as the series grew, but even Soul Blazer still feels pretty good mechanically. It'll always be really satisfying to rebuild a town by exploring a dungeon imo.

Illusion of Gaia had some pacing issues but I feel like the cool locations and goofy pig/poison scenes made up for a lot of that.

e:

See you later goat. :)

I've just downloaded this and given it a go, maybe I'm missing something but the combat seems really aggressively difficult? The basic attack has no hitstun or knockback so if I don't time my swings and step back perfectly I end up exchanging a hit for hit with the goblin monsters every time, I used my healing herb and still died twice just in the first dungeon. Is there something I'm missing to this or does it pick up soon? Because these are things Zelda 1 got right on the NES ...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I've just downloaded this and given it a go, maybe I'm missing something but the combat seems really aggressively difficult? The basic attack has no hitstun or knockback so if I don't time my swings and step back perfectly I end up exchanging a hit for hit with the goblin monsters every time, I used my healing herb and still died twice just in the first dungeon.

The trick is that your attack's hitbox has some width to it. If you're facing left or right, your swing will hit stuff above and below you (though they still have to be in the weapon's arc); up or down, your swing is wide enough to hit things to your side. Hitting enemies with the end of your swing will also double up on the number of times they take damage. It takes a little getting used to, but you'll be glad that you figured it out: it sounds cheesy, but some of the bosses in that game, man. You'll be glad you mastered the side-swing.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

IIRC you can also hold the attack button to do a goofy 'poke' attack which in a bunch of cases is actually a lot easier to get hits in with without taking damage yourself.

Edit: I'm wrong, you actually hold L or R to do it apparently.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

IIRC you can also hold the attack button to do a goofy 'poke' attack which in a bunch of cases is actually a lot easier to get hits in with without taking damage yourself.

Yeah I remember a lot of letting my enemies run into my sword while slowly backing away from them when I played.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Edit:

FF6 has the legitimate excuse of running into the SNES cart size wall. The relatively low amount of general character development is the result of the devs making a trade-off; significant expansion to character storylines would have necessarily required the removal of other things.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 15, 2014

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The hero's poke attack has a fixed damage rate. I never found it to be very useful, especially later on when health bars explode in size, but you can take advantage of it by walking backwards while enemies (slowly) impale themselves on your sword. You can use it to quickly strafe too.

Mostly you'll want to use White Dragon's advice and smack enemies diagonally from or next to you with your sword arc. You'll always have access to free healing herbs (one at a time max though) so don't worry about gobbling them up, and warp checkpoints are placed pretty reasonably.

Also the first dungeon has an incredibly catchy tune.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BloodWulfe posted:

The hero's poke attack has a fixed damage rate.
I remember it actually being pretty fast. Faster than you can swing your sword.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Soooo.. Fairy Fencer F tomorrow. How 'bout that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

Soooo.. Fairy Fencer F tomorrow. How 'bout that?

oh that's tomorrow?

ImpAtom is it any good? i assume you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Keeping in mind good for Compile Heart and good for real companies is a very different scale.