Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Played my first pick up game in a year yesterday and I'm paying for it now. Passes and Crosses were still decent, shots and general ball handling took a while to get used to it.

Sore as hell. Had to buy cheapo tiempos as my regular boots are being shipped.

I'm just glad I was able to play again. Spent some time in goal, and as defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm assuming your shins are especially sore but she I haven't played in a while the muscles that run through the shins are always the most sore. Kicking a ball isn't a natural motion.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My thighs and back actually. Knees are a bit as well. Shins are ok. I power walked like 2 1/2 miles that morning so it they were warmed up. Had to reduce speed though because of pain.

Luckily, I'm not getting massive shin pain right now. I am always playing with shin pads though. I do not trust anyone.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

My thighs and back actually. Knees are a bit as well. Shins are ok. I power walked like 2 1/2 miles that morning so it they were warmed up. Had to reduce speed though because of pain.

Luckily, I'm not getting massive shin pain right now. I am always playing with shin pads though. I do not trust anyone.

It's the flex when you lock out your ankle to strike a ball, deceptive but it'll cripple you.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. I know what you mean.

The shin guards I have have ankle support (blame the PX not having decent gear) and it helps. But I also cross weird. I shoot with my ankle locked. I cross with my toes up a little bit. Not to toe poke it, but it gives me more control as odd as that sounds. So I don't lock it too much

Also can't shoot with my foot sideways like passing. At all.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Run downhill

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Too much fat

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Soulex posted:

Too much fat

If i had a nickel...

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Today's matchup: Fake Madrid vs. Man Chest Hair United

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Well kids rec is starting up here again in NW Florida and I'm coaching a U-12 team and a U-15 team. I wanted to coach in our academy program this season since this is likely my last season coaching for a while as I'll moving in the spring and I'll be on sea duty (I'm in the Navy) so I won't have time to coach. I'm coaching with another guy who has a ton of experience playing and coaching. He's coached my oldest daughter for a few seasons and he is great and I stand to learn quite a bit from him

The U-12 team is going to be very good. 4 of the kids have played for me before and they are all good. The fifth strong player is my co-coach's son who is very good as well. Having that continuity alone is huge in rec since you don't get that much time to work with the kids. I also have a couple guys that want to play in goal. Haven't evaluated them yet but at that age and level of play having the desire to play in goal is half the battle. I think anything less than winning our end of season tournament will be underachieving.

The U-15 on the other hand will be challenging. We will probably be the Greece of the age group as we will be very solid on defense but we don't have a lot of talent on the offensive end. Our rec league is co-ed and we have the most girls of any team. That said, the girls we have as a whole are probably better than the guys on the team. Just through luck of the draw, some of the other teams are very stacked and this is the age group where the physical differences between the boys and girls make themselves known so that will work against us well.

Excited to be coaching again though, it's a ton of fun working with the kids

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Played my first outdoor coed league game last weekend. Went horribly. We lost 7-1 and they were a player down the entire game with no subs. This is our first season with the league and with 14 teams in the league, they didn't decide to split recreational/competitive teams. I'm guessing we'll either tie or lose every game of the season :fyh:

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Been there before, last season our league actually split up the teams between rec and competitive. We played in the rec division and lost every game save one tie. This season they combined the two divisions so we had several player quit in response. I'm sitting this season out since we didn't have enough player to field a team any longer.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
The girls on my team are not very good and for some of them, this is the first time playing soccer in a long time. One of the guys, probably our strongest player, wants to have a 3-5-2 formation and wants to backline to always offside-trap whenever possible when some of the girls don't know what offsides is and there are no line judges either.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Have a pretty exciting game this evening.

We're in second spot and we're playing top spot in the last game of the season (first half of the season is a grading round second half the league divides into three where you play each team). We need to beat them by two and hope the team below us doesn't thrash whoever they're playing.

We beat them in the grading round 4-3 but they're pretty handy so should be a good game.

Jesus loving christ. The moronic team playing the third place team manage to lose by eight goals thus making it virtually impossible for us.

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 15, 2014

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Geno posted:

no line judges either.

There is literally no point in doing a trap then. Your best player is an idiot.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I literally scored a goal this weekend, which happens about once every two seasons. I just ran after a long ball, saw the keeper rushing out, instinctively poked the ball past him and it just rolled in.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Messyass posted:

I literally scored a goal this weekend, which happens about once every two seasons. I just ran after a long ball, saw the keeper rushing out, instinctively poked the ball past him and it just rolled in.

Amazing stuff.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

ephex posted:

Amazing stuff.

I know right

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Messyass posted:

I know right

How did you celebrate that festive event?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Geno posted:

Played my first outdoor coed league game last weekend. Went horribly. We lost 7-1 and they were a player down the entire game with no subs. This is our first season with the league and with 14 teams in the league, they didn't decide to split recreational/competitive teams. I'm guessing we'll either tie or lose every game of the season :fyh:

This was us this past weekend. Other team started with 9 players, 10th came about 30 min in and their last well into the second half, but we still managed to lose 4-1, mainly because our new keeper is, in his words, "a tight end turned keeper", which means he's not a keeper. He scrambles alright to neutralize (somewhat) loose balls but he can't seem to keep them in his hands (probably because he wears wide receiver gloves instead of proper gloves), and he has no concept of how to distribute the ball, which directly led to two of the goals.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Lazlow posted:

This was us this past weekend. Other team started with 9 players, 10th came about 30 min in and their last well into the second half, but we still managed to lose 4-1, mainly because our new keeper is, in his words, "a tight end turned keeper", which means he's not a keeper. He scrambles alright to neutralize (somewhat) loose balls but he can't seem to keep them in his hands (probably because he wears wide receiver gloves instead of proper gloves), and he has no concept of how to distribute the ball, which directly led to two of the goals.

You only scored one goal. Pretty sure that makes you an rear end in a top hat for blaming the keeper. (Never blame the keeper. You have 10 other people to prevent the other team from taking shots.)

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

cosmicjim posted:

You only scored one goal. Pretty sure that makes you an rear end in a top hat for blaming the keeper. (Never blame the keeper. You have 10 other people to prevent the other team from taking shots.)

A 4-1 line is well within the realm of "lost because of the poo poo keeper."

That being said, never blame the keeper. Unless you're an actual competitive league keepers are a resource to be guarded and kept well cared for.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

My co-ed six-a-side team won our semi-final Sunday morning, but our best all-around player pulled a calf muscle, making him unavailable for the final, which followed immediately after. With 10 minutes remaining in the final and the score at 1-1, our keeper twisted his knee and had to sub out for good. So a defender stepped into goal and we were down to zero subs (we had zero female subs for both matches!). We ended up losing 1-4.

Literally adding insult to injury, the other team were the biggest assholes we've faced all season, playing far too physical for a co-ed rec league, complaining to the ref constantly, and talking poo poo to "psyche us out". They ended up with 2 yellows.

I understand the desire to win and to be competitive, but why seek out a rec league that's essentially a social gathering if you must win at all costs? "No one ever asks to get beers with us after the game, but goddamnit we got a free t-shirt that says 'champions' on it!"

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

A 4-1 line is well within the realm of "lost because of the poo poo keeper."

That being said, never blame the keeper. Unless you're an actual competitive league keepers are a resource to be guarded and kept well cared for.

They were up by 2 players a 3rd of the game and 1 player for most of the rest.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

CaptainRightful posted:

My co-ed six-a-side team won our semi-final Sunday morning, but our best all-around player pulled a calf muscle, making him unavailable for the final, which followed immediately after. With 10 minutes remaining in the final and the score at 1-1, our keeper twisted his knee and had to sub out for good. So a defender stepped into goal and we were down to zero subs (we had zero female subs for both matches!). We ended up losing 1-4.

Literally adding insult to injury, the other team were the biggest assholes we've faced all season, playing far too physical for a co-ed rec league, complaining to the ref constantly, and talking poo poo to "psyche us out". They ended up with 2 yellows.

I understand the desire to win and to be competitive, but why seek out a rec league that's essentially a social gathering if you must win at all costs? "No one ever asks to get beers with us after the game, but goddamnit we got a free t-shirt that says 'champions' on it!"

I've always found that politely/sarcastically pointing out a lack of scouts in attendance works wonders.

cosmicjim posted:

They were up by 2 players a 3rd of the game and 1 player for most of the rest.

Oh crap I read this backwards and thought they were down. Oh well.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Oh, I'll gladly claim the shittiness of us in the outfield, only scoring the one for us against less than 11 (we actually scored when they had 11 but that's neither here nor there) and letting in another trying to play an offside trap that never works, and being generally turd-like all around. We're not in the third division of a rec league for nothing. But lining up behind the wall on a free kick, dead center on the edge of the box, when we're telling him to move? Nope. Slowly rolling the ball to a defender inside our own area when there are multiple attackers still there? Nope. Doing that over and over after being told to either punt it or throw as far as possible just to get it away? Nope. I will say he did stop setting the ball on the ground as if for a goal kick (and turning his back on it to step away) whenever he picked up a loose ball.

Like I said, he's not a keeper, and I certainly didn't have high expectations, but after telling him "don't do this" or "do exactly this" multiple times and then watching him do the opposite, you have to draw the line somewhere. There's only so much the defense can do to cover, and practically nothing when he's got a live ball in his hands.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Lazlow posted:

Oh, I'll gladly claim the shittiness of us in the outfield, only scoring the one for us against less than 11 (we actually scored when they had 11 but that's neither here nor there) and letting in another trying to play an offside trap that never works, and being generally turd-like all around. We're not in the third division of a rec league for nothing. But lining up behind the wall on a free kick, dead center on the edge of the box, when we're telling him to move? Nope. Slowly rolling the ball to a defender inside our own area when there are multiple attackers still there? Nope. Doing that over and over after being told to either punt it or throw as far as possible just to get it away? Nope. I will say he did stop setting the ball on the ground as if for a goal kick (and turning his back on it to step away) whenever he picked up a loose ball.

Like I said, he's not a keeper, and I certainly didn't have high expectations, but after telling him "don't do this" or "do exactly this" multiple times and then watching him do the opposite, you have to draw the line somewhere. There's only so much the defense can do to cover, and practically nothing when he's got a live ball in his hands.

Sounds like you should take over as keeper

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Faced similar frustrations last Friday. This fat dude (not me) did not know how to stay on line. Despite me constantly yelling "line! Watch the line!" He let in quite a few people through that gap.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

Faced similar frustrations last Friday. This fat dude (not me) did not know how to stay on line. Despite me constantly yelling "line! Watch the line!" He let in quite a few people through that gap.

Soulexplayingfootballinahouseofmirrors.txt

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

CaptainRightful posted:

For some people winning this kind of league is the high point of their lives. It's quite sad, really.

On the flipside, I'm moving interstate permanently in a couple of weeks (was waiting for the season to end) and the U15 team I coach won the "Most successful team from our club who didn't make the finals"* and it was awesome to see them go nuts for winning a big trophy considering the last three years most of them were in a team that consistently came dead last and never got anything. I also got my name on the perpetual trophy as their coach so I got a tiny legacy to leave at my (now) former club!

*Hooray for hilariously bullshit awards :D

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
So I slipped playing on turf today and the skin on my shin is pretty raw - by any chance do you know if there's anything that can help with this?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

mr. unhsib posted:

So I slipped playing on turf today and the skin on my shin is pretty raw - by any chance do you know if there's anything that can help with this?
hydrogen peroxide and aloe

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

mr. unhsib posted:

use iodine to clean it out and then a dressing that allows it to breathe without drying it out completely. dont use peroxide

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
or you could not be a giant pussy and just keep opening it up to ooze every time you bend your knee until next week's game when you do it all over again

Also now you have cancer so #yolo

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Soccer-coach-Could-field-turf-be-causing-cancer-259895701.html

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
season just finished, came 5th and scraped into finals.

won elimination final 4-0
won semi 1-0
won prelim 5-2
won final 6-0. (up 4-0 after 20mins)

talk about peaking at the right time :whatup:

finished with 23 goals in 14 apps, happy with that considering i missed 5 games being over in brazil.

and now i can get my knee looked at considering it's ballooning after every game!

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
forgot to mention that I had *in the lebron voice* not one, not two, but three *back to the normal voice* free kick goals this season so I am upping my contract demands for this coming season to two beers post match, and they better be PNW microbrews or PNW ironic macrobrew tallboys

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mr. unhsib posted:

Take the hottest possible shower you can and wash it with the most astringent, highest alcohol content soap you can find.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Thanks guys. I will do some combination of all these recommendations :)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I am starting to play keeper in pick up games. Anyone have advice on how to get better?

I did do an awesome save though. This guy played for college or some shot and had a loving bullet of a shot. He cut inside and had a break. I juked wide and went inside and blocked his shot.

Pretty stoked really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Soulex posted:

I am starting to play keeper in pick up games. Anyone have advice on how to get better?

I did do an awesome save though. This guy played for college or some shot and had a loving bullet of a shot. He cut inside and had a break. I juked wide and went inside and blocked his shot.

Pretty stoked really.

what size games? I almost never see keeps in pickup games, it's either cones or side-nets. Sounds rad, especially if it is 11-11.

As for getting better, just look up positioning training guides. IMO positioning is 95% of the battle for casual and low level stuff, as most folks aren't quality enough to groove lasers into all the upper 90s.