Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Literally Kermit posted:

No matter how much we agree to disagree, I can't stay mad at your anime cyclops girl avatar. :allears:

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Magmarashi posted:

Nothing I say actually represents CF's stance on things in any way. *I* think the general public can go get hosed because they are insufferable mouth farters, and jumping from me saying that to accusing CF of believing that is pointless dip-shittery. Much like everything else you've said in the thread, so I know why I am not shocked!

You're a part of the general public you idiot, what does this post even mean

edit: I've figured it out. The real reason the goon subforum got shut down is not because it was leaked to the public but because people can't stop being morons every 5 minutes for no reason.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CJacobs posted:

edit: I've figured it out. The real reason the goon subforum got shut down is not because it was leaked to the public but because people can't stop being morons every 5 minutes for no reason.

Nah man goons arent the general public and are inherently better and more credible because *farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt*

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Nah man goons arent the general public and are inherently better and more credible because *farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt*

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

What are you talking about? The entire point of being a goon is being a complete imbecile about everything all the time. That and the fart jokes. The day fart jokes quit being funny is the day I no longer want to live.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
this is the worst thread in games

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lmao if you self-identify as a 'goon'.

"Yes ma'am, do not fear me for I am a goon and therefore superior to the common man, known in my tongue as a 'pubbie'".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

packetmantis posted:

It's the least "thread is actually about the game" thread in Games, anyway. The Starbound thread is more about the Starbound update schedule and the Starbound forums than it is about Starbound.

Leo Showers posted:

"Yes ma'am, do not fear me for I am a goon and therefore superior to the common man, known in my tongue as a 'pubbie'".

"D-D-Do you have stairs in your house? Cough cough phlegm snort" I asked the cute lady at the checkout at Wal-Mart. Upon her "Yes, I have a second floor and a basement, why?" I knew she was not one of us :smug:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is there a changelog or something somewhere I can read? I've been out of the loop for 3 weeks or so now.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I am protected!

Edit : I just re read this and man do I sound like a pleb... im just going to go back to lurking now...:raise:

hey welcome to the show! fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 14, 2014

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

If you are involved in a group that is given privileged access to something, direct access to the creators of said something, and a place separated from everyone else in the public that consumes said something, No, you are not actually considered to be part of the general public for that thing.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 14, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

packetmantis posted:

The MWO thread Thanks you for taking up this burden.

Wait, no. No you haven't :saddowns:

Anyways, despite my personal missgivings about "We are balancing this to be able to kill one whole even level enemy before needing to recharge" balance claims, I am at least interested to see how the Staffs work out in general, or if they have anything to set them apart from Guns beyond their shape and needing a whole other crafting setup.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

MWO thread got really good after the transverse announcement

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RentACop posted:

MWO thread got really good after the transverse announcement

Good good? or "Haha what the hell thread" good?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dandywalken posted:

Good good? or "Haha what the hell thread" good?

The latter. But more "Hahah what the hell PGI". Here is a good summary of the situation written by Mittens.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Shnooks posted:

Is there a changelog or something somewhere I can read? I've been out of the loop for 3 weeks or so now.

Nothing other than the official site's blog afaik.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Shnooks posted:

Nothing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The wiki probably has one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Starbound hasn't been updating fast enough for an eleven person team. We're coming up on a full year after beta was released and 1.0 isn't out still! This might just be the Xbone of Early Access.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Leo Showers posted:

Look at this fuckin pleb, thinking he can hang with the big dogs.
Sorry kid, you have to atleast be a non-Cis Planetkin Transgoon to post in here, go back to your StarCitizen thread along with all the other babbys.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Another day, another slapfight. All over something you spent :20bux: over last year.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

WarpedNaba posted:

Another day, another slapfight. All over something you spent :20bux: over last year.

:20bux: and well over several hundred hours of game time but who is counting?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Literally Kermit posted:

:20bux: and well over several hundred hours of game time but who is counting?

Look, they asked for money for video game and I gave them money for video game. And now I'm bored! I want the rest now!

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

RareAcumen posted:

Look, they asked for money for video game and I gave them money for video game. And now I'm bored! I want the rest now!

The "Rest" has been confirmed as an expansion. so you better break out that extra :tenbux:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rrussom posted:

The "Rest" has been confirmed as an expansion. so you better break out that extra :tenbux:

Old news, it's all going in Starbound 2

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Starbound The Sequel:The Search For More Money

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Wait, you guys didn't get your demo of 1.0? Lmao, missing out.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

Now F2P with microtransactions! Get your Matter Manipulator, only $2.99! FTL Drive, only $8.99! Activate the Ancient Gateway, only $14.99!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Microsoft is buying Minecraft and everything even vaguely inspired by it, so Starbound One is going to be released for the Xbone in 2016.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
im littorally shaking with anger right now

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

It kills me that he linked directly to someone's post here on SA.com and at no point seemed to think that it might not be a good idea to shine a spotlight on someone who likely hates you to the core of their being.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

It kills me that he linked directly to someone's post here on SA.com and at no point seemed to think that it might not be a good idea to shine a spotlight on someone who likely hates you to the core of their being.

If memory serves Mittens retired a few years back, is independently wealthy now, and doesn't need to do anything so he just plays EVE and trolls everybody, ever all day now. We should all be so lucky. I think he mostly feeds off of hate if his EVE antics are any indication. Dude just revels in the loathing of others.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves Mittens retired a few years back, is independently wealthy now, and doesn't need to do anything so he just plays EVE and trolls everybody, ever all day now. We should all be so lucky. I think he mostly feeds off of hate if his EVE antics are any indication. Dude just revels in the loathing of others.

he's talking about niko who is a head person at pgi. the article pointed out that niko was a giant dumbass for doing as much, because pgi is seriously full of quite possibly the most goddamn incompetent game studio heads i have ever seen and everyone else should get at least a consolation prize for not being them.

e: i mean, i dunno much about mittens but mostly the people in the mwo thread went 'this is a good summary article' in response to it so i doubt any animosity is directed towards him right now

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
No, you're right, a lot of people payed for this product that they're not getting but it was only $20 so it was just a donation really.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ahundredbux posted:

No, you're right, a lot of people payed for this product that they're not getting but it was only $20 so it was just a donation really.
A lot of people paid for a product in advance, and so long as that product is eventually delivered, the deal was held to.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

A lot of people paid for a product in advance, and so long as that product is eventually delivered, the deal was held to.

I had a lot of fun playing with my space legos so now I'm waiting for better space legos. I have other poo poo I can do in the mean time like, well, actually study for my classes.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Vib Rib posted:

I really could not give a poo poo if the game is never released, it's just dumb to see people saying no-one is allowed to complain because it was only $20.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

packetmantis posted:

The Day Z thread wants its award back. Twelve months of the same four people complaining about how much they hate the game. I looked in at alpha release and a few weeks ago and nothing in the thread has changed :D

I made a comment earlier in this thread about Starbound's redesigned progression system, and some people mentioned that games such as Metroid/Arkham Asylum use the same structure. I probably didn't get my point across well enough; it's a valid design approach, but completely inappropriate for this type of game.

If they're still going for procedural, open-world exploration that is.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aertuun posted:

If they're still going for procedural, open-world exploration that is.

They announced the ability to upgrade your manipulator alongside it starting out even worse than it was at the time, so, yeah. I'm still more of a :spergin: for survivability and Combat progression.

I'm expecting the eventual end result to be pretty cool, and they are working on a lot of cool stuff. They just seem to be falling into the trap of :airquote: Balanced progression, as opposed to something that will give you an actual feeling of progress. Blanket statements like "Every gun can kill 1.5 to 2 even level monsters before you run out of energy, if you do not miss." (In a game that loves to spawn multiple pairs of enemies) or "+1 monsters will kill you in three hits" (so, every single new location from game start to finish) do not bring confidence though for the area of the game I obsess over. Even if it's all subject to change beta idea.

It's not all bad though. They want to remove 900 MPH 90 degree jumping death touch monsters (How are projectile spitting monsters in Nightly land?) Dying in three hits after going where you are supposed to for progression is still an improvement to dying in two, or one when night falls. . Well, with armor. Current biome dev notes progression wants you to build an air tank then go to the moon to dig up the stuff for your FTL Drive... But the heat generator is next tier for going to Meteors, so no armor for you when you go to the moon, hope that Snow Gear can stand up to Moon enemies :shepface:

EDIT: vvv My issue is less "It takes X amount of shots to kill even level enemies", and more the implication it's like that forever. Especially considering "Even Level" is when you're topped up for a given area. You build your first revolver, it kills enemies in the area you made it just as fast as the Facemelter 6000 kills the enemies in the area you made that. Or if it's a melee weapon, melee armor talks about health and defense, nothing about damage if I'm recalling right.

You work your way UP to that good, and as soon as you are there it's time to move on to the next area give or take what unlock you have to craft or beat out of a boss. You're not progressing in anything but object tier or size of your numbers, if it's always "Show up, die in three hits because you don't have armor made of the stuff you came here for."

Add in the currently implemented dropping ores on death, which despawns, and still no readily convenient healing options for everything taking off a third of your health bar... yeah. I want to feel combat progress, not a constant loop of being exactly as weak or strong as before for dishing it our or taking it. Give or take some energy regeneration quirks.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Section Z posted:

They announced the ability to upgrade your manipulator alongside it starting out even worse than it was at the time, so, yeah. I'm still more of a :spergin: for survivability and Combat progression.

I'm expecting the eventual end result to be pretty cool, and they are working on a lot of cool stuff. They just seem to be falling into the trap of :airquote: Balanced progression, as opposed to something that will give you an actual feeling of progress. Blanket statements like "Every gun can kill 1.5 to 2 even level monsters before you run out of energy, if you do not miss." (In a game that loves to spawn multiple pairs of enemies) or "+1 monsters will kill you in three hits" (so, every single new location from game start to finish) do not bring confidence though for the area of the game I obsess over. Even if it's all subject to change beta idea.

It's not all bad though. They want to remove 900 MPH 90 degree jumping death touch monsters (How are projectile spitting monsters in Nightly land?) Dying in three hits after going where you are supposed to for progression is still an improvement to dying in two, or one when night falls. . Well, with armor. Current biome dev notes progression wants you to build an air tank then go to the moon to dig up the stuff for your FTL Drive... But the heat generator is next tier for going to Meteors, so no armor for you when you go to the moon, hope that Snow Gear can stand up to Moon enemies :shepface:

I wonder if that 1.5/2 monsters before energy runs out thing is without the energy recharge and/or pool boosts from armor.

Also, it isn't really as big of a deal as people keep making it out, Energy regens at a pretty decent clip with no buffs already, just don't spam your shots. Trigger discipline.

• Locked thread