Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The statue looks like it has Cotton Hill's head on a normal-sized body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

VDay posted:

Taylor Kelly is going to miss the UCLA game, might be back for USC or Stanford.

Really unfortunate, although I think ASU can still beat us if the Texas win didn't magically fix some of our problems and especially if Hundley is out/hurt/banged up.

I was on a ledge thinking that he was done entirely, so I'm relieved that it's only a couple of games. The bye week next week is well timed for both Kelly to heal and Bercovici to prepare. Moeakiola might make it back for UCLA, so that's also good news.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Washington could theoretically play 16 games this season.

I loving love that dumb Hawaii rule.

it used to be similar in NCAA basketball which led to the Great Alaska Shootout. growing up i got to see loving rad teams like Tarheels, Georgetown, Syracuse, Kansas, Kentucky, etc but ever since they closed off that rule years and years ago it's just been garbage scrub teams. it made thanksgiving as a kid even better and after a lot of games you'd walk out of the sullivan arena to bright northern lights and it was the best thing, I miss it :smith:

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
gently caress a&m

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I wasn't Blacksburg for the game this weekend and thank gently caress I went on vacation instead.

On the plus side, at least we helped tank Ohio State's strength of schedule even more.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

after a lot of games you'd walk out of the sullivan arena to bright northern lights and it was the best thing, I miss it :smith:

that sounds amazing

In other news, WVU ran 108 plays against Maryland and look who's here to whine about it

Randy Edsall posted:

"I think there's a problem in college football, I really do, with that many plays."

when you go 4 for 13 on third downs you're not exactly helping your own argument there, chief

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

wheez the roux posted:

it used to be similar in NCAA basketball which led to the Great Alaska Shootout. growing up i got to see loving rad teams like Tarheels, Georgetown, Syracuse, Kansas, Kentucky, etc but ever since they closed off that rule years and years ago it's just been garbage scrub teams. it made thanksgiving as a kid even better and after a lot of games you'd walk out of the sullivan arena to bright northern lights and it was the best thing, I miss it :smith:

I'm jealous. That sounds awesome.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

anne frank fanfic posted:

gently caress a&m

Good post. I second this emotion.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

wheez the roux posted:

The great Alaskan Shoot Out was awesome and even though I lived way out in the bush so couldn't go to the games it was still a big deal that everybody talked about and looked forward to. I wish they'd bring that rule back.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

wheez the roux posted:

My understanding is that it's a few different changes to the bylaws over about a decade that did this; the big one was in 2006 when the "certified event" bylaw, requiring early-season tournaments to be specifically approved by an NCAA subcommittee, was replaced by the "qualifying regular-season multiple-team event" bylaw, which allows any NCAA member or member conference to host such an event. The immediate effect of this was a massive increase in the number of early-season events.

In the particular case of the Great Alaska Shootout, ESPN appears to have dropped their support for the event not long after the NCAA rule change, which is why the '07 field had Michigan, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech and Gonzaga in it, while the '08 tournament featured no major-conference teams at all and only one team who would even make the NCAAs that year (and then as a 13 seed).

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Pakled posted:

Let's just say everything was so stupid that Texas botched the coin toss.

Is David Ash still a team captain

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Penn State's offensive line is abysmal, worse than I've ever seen. It's a miracle we won. Our defense, on the other hand, is really good. Any game left on Penn State's schedule could go either way, except probably Michigan State. I have to admit, Rutgers put on a hell of a show. Their fans were really into it. Crowd noise was a definite factor. The team played harder than it has before. The Rutgers defensive line was really disruptive, and I credit that with keeping Penn State's big plays to a minimum. I thought he'd be able to torch their secondary, but Hack didn't have time to throw deep almost the entire game. At certain points, especially in the second half, the offensive playcalling for Penn State was maddening. You knew every third down was a blitz, but the coordinator was completely unwilling to throw screens or quick slants or anything that could neutralize the blitz.

We have two tune up games to improve the run and pass blocking in time for Michigan. UMass isn't a good team. Northwestern is usually a tough matchup for us, but they're horrible this year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

gently caress that dumb umpire in the UK-UF game. Time expired, you dolt. (OK, it was really close but there's no way to see any movement on the tv cameras).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Stay safe David Ash.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pillsburysoldier posted:

honor the corps but no girl leaders pls. only huge dorks and statues of huge dorks

That's not actually a yell leader, it's the dude that inspired the whole "12th Man" thing (even though he didn't play).

every
Apr 24, 2008

Mark Richt being Georgia as gently caress:

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/richt-discusses-two-key-penalties-vs-south-carolina/

every
Apr 24, 2008

Komet posted:

It's a miracle we won.

It was no miracle:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

computer parts posted:

That's not actually a yell leader, it's the dude that inspired the whole "12th Man" thing (even though he didn't play).

Na that statue he linked is the retarded looking yell leader. The Colossus of Kyle Field(E King Gill) is cool though. War Hymn statue is also weird looking.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game
I am not one to harp on individual plays, South Carolina won the game...all there is to it. Spurrier owns us...and will do so until the day he is no longer on this earth.

That said, I have a question about the intentional grounding from Mason. Hicks appeared to be an eligible receiver on that ridiculous play call on 1st and goal from the 4. We see blown up screen plays every weekend, most of the time the QB will plant the ball firmly in the ground at the feet of the RB if the defense has the screen play diagnosed. Clemson did the same thing against us 2 weeks prior deep in their territory with no flags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LR1gKalumg fast forward to 2:14:30, I believe this is what Mason was trying to do before it hit the Carolina players leg.

Either way, like I said...this is NOT why we lost the game...just curious about the call.

every
Apr 24, 2008

IMO it was just a bad call. The ball hit the defender's leg and it bounced further away than was intended, so it looked like intentional grounding.

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

every posted:

IMO it was just a bad call. The ball hit the defender's leg and it bounced further away than was intended, so it looked like intentional grounding.

The refs in this game were piss awful all around. So many bad calls on both teams.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11530285/fan-critical-fall-texas-longhorns-ucla-bruins-game

Guy falls 12ft. at Texas/UCLA and is in critical condition.

quote:

The man was wearing a Texas shirt and was conscious when he was transported. The cause of the fall is unclear.

Uh... ok?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

BunLengthHotDog posted:

I am not one to harp on individual plays, South Carolina won the game...all there is to it. Spurrier owns us...and will do so until the day he is no longer on this earth.

That said, I have a question about the intentional grounding from Mason. Hicks appeared to be an eligible receiver on that ridiculous play call on 1st and goal from the 4. We see blown up screen plays every weekend, most of the time the QB will plant the ball firmly in the ground at the feet of the RB if the defense has the screen play diagnosed. Clemson did the same thing against us 2 weeks prior deep in their territory with no flags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LR1gKalumg fast forward to 2:14:30, I believe this is what Mason was trying to do before it hit the Carolina players leg.

Either way, like I said...this is NOT why we lost the game...just curious about the call.

I don't think it was grounding since it hit a defender, but in your example the QB was in the middle of being hit and grounding never gets called from that.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

Nereid posted:

The refs in this game were piss awful all around. So many bad calls on both teams.

Haha, no poo poo there. Gurley headbutts 2 dudes, the 2nd SC reaction gets the flag.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
SOCAR hasn't had their annual inexplicable loss yet, so I think we will be ok for the east. Also, that's probably the best O-line we will see all year. Secondary is a shitball of epic proportions, but the front 7 isn't bad.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

I don't think it was grounding since it hit a defender, but in your example the QB was in the middle of being hit and grounding never gets called from that.

The ref would have to judge that the ball would have crossed the neutral zone with an eligible receiver in the area had it not been touched to avoid a grounding call. A QB can't just drill the ball at an onrushing defender as a get-out-of-grounding-free card.

I didn't see the Georgia/USC play, so I can't really comment on that, but simply touching a defender doesn't negate grounding automatically.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

Farking Bastage posted:

SOCAR hasn't had their annual inexplicable loss yet, so I think we will be ok for the east. Also, that's probably the best O-line we will see all year. Secondary is a shitball of epic proportions, but the front 7 isn't bad.

I much prefer the way Pruitt is recruiting to fill spots in the secondary...recruit EVERYONE.

Grantham targeted, and got, select top talent in Shaq Wiggins, JHC etc...but the supporting cast when you lose the top tier guys is just horrible. Pruitt said as much when he got to UGA...the players available, including incumbents, are just not that good. We are at the top or leading for quite a few big name DB's that are right up his alley, hopefully we don't blow the rest of our games and scare them away.

Deteriorata posted:

The ref would have to judge that the ball would have crossed the neutral zone with an eligible receiver in the area had it not been touched to avoid a grounding call. A QB can't just drill the ball at an onrushing defender as a get-out-of-grounding-free card.

I didn't see the Georgia/USC play, so I can't really comment on that, but simply touching a defender doesn't negate grounding automatically.

Arent the rules for screens a bit different considering linemen will be starting to heard downfield on the play? QB's are normally taught to plant the ball at the RB's feet (the defender was in the way in this case) on blown up screen plays.

BunLengthHotDog fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 15, 2014

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

every posted:

It was no miracle:

I'll raise you

every
Apr 24, 2008

BunLengthHotDog posted:

Arent the rules for screens a bit different considering linemen will be starting to heard downfield on the play? QB's are normally taught to plant the ball at the RB's feet (the defender was in the way in this case) on blown up screen plays.

This is important knowledge to gain so that we know how angry to be at the refs next time this happens

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BunLengthHotDog posted:

There's nothing special in the rules about screen passes that I'm aware of. Linemen are still not allowed downfield before the pass is thrown.

Since a screen pass is generally going to be intended to stay behind the LoS, having a receiver in the area is going to be the crucial bit.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Deteriorata posted:

I'm not sure where it would have been without hitting the defender, but that extra down wouldn't have mattered since Bobo forgot he had a Heisman contender that he should feed the ball.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Urban Outfitters decided this was an appropriate way to celebrate Ohio State's 66-0 win over Kent State:

They were surprised that people objected to it, and it was quickly removed from the site.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I object to that price. gently caress.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Deteriorata posted:

There's nothing special in the rules about screen passes that I'm aware of. Linemen are still not allowed downfield before the pass is thrown.

Since a screen pass is generally going to be intended to stay behind the LoS, having a receiver in the area is going to be the crucial bit.

If the pass is behind the LOS, then linemen can move downfield. If a pass is beyond the LOS, then linemen cannot be downfield.

Generally, if the pass was directed at a receiver, then it should not have been grounding. If he was in someone's grasp and just desperation tossed it, that's more likely to be so.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Richt's probably right that the grounding call wasn't as open and shut as it initially appeared, but yeah, I believe they do factor intent into those calls as well. In any event, it was still an abysmal play call and an even worse decision by a fifth-year senior, so I kinda feel like getting hung up on that is missing the forest for the trees.

I just saw that our game against Mizzou in a couple weeks will be their SEC opener. :psyduck: We'll have played three conference games by then.

every
Apr 24, 2008

RumbleFish posted:

I just saw that our game against Mizzou in a couple weeks will be their SEC opener. :psyduck: We'll have played three conference games by then.

Like me, you should be worried about any team with a quarterback, because both our secondaries are pee pee doo doo it is a bad secondary.

every fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 15, 2014

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Deteriorata posted:

Urban Outfitters decided this was an appropriate way to celebrate Ohio State's 66-0 win over Kent State:

They were surprised that people objected to it, and it was quickly removed from the site.

There's no way.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Soooo glad Bama plays Florida and not Georgia/SC/Mizzou. You guys have fun and give us lots of gametape before the SEC championship game, ok (provided A&M or Auburn doesn't tear us apart)?

every
Apr 24, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

oh my god thishaahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

vikingstrike posted:

There's no way.

Not only that, they lied about what they were going for afterward.

http://gawker.com/urban-outfitters-sells-vintage-blood-spattered-kent-s-1634786441

"Urban Outfitters sincerely apologizes for any offense our Vintage Kent State Sweatshirt may have caused. It was never our intention to allude to the tragic events that took place at Kent State in 1970 and we are extremely saddened that this item was perceived as such. The one-of-a-kind item was purchased as part of our sun-faded vintage collection. There is no blood on this shirt nor has this item been altered in any way. The red stains are discoloration from the original shade of the shirt and the holes are from natural wear and fray. Again, we deeply regret that this item was perceived negatively and we have removed it immediately from our website to avoid further upset."

• Locked thread