Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Why would you want a new miata anyway? They made hundreds of thousands of proper ones from 1990 to 2005.

This. For less than 1/4 the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Only the 89-91 1/2 have the spirit of miata in them. Every version after those is a compromise. They are also the cheapest. How can you lose.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What changed after the 91 1/2? The only thing I know is they have crank issues

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
You're not cool unless you have one of the 6 "color" cars.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

A MIRACLE posted:

What changed after the 91 1/2? The only thing I know is they have crank issues

The first couple years got a 1.6l engine with the weak crank snouts, all the later ones had a 1.8l.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Terrible Robot posted:

The first couple years got a 1.6l engine with the weak crank snouts, all the later ones had a 1.8l.

Close, the early ones had a small nose crank that had the issues, after 91.5 they changed to a large nose crank, but still the 1.6l motor. The 1.8 came in '93 or '94.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Has to be 94, my 93 has the 1.6 and the big crank. It's fast enough for me. I don't see why anyone really needs more than 105 horsepower.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

A MIRACLE posted:

Has to be 94, my 93 has the 1.6 and the big crank. It's fast enough for me. I don't see why anyone really needs more than 105 horsepower.

I drive a Mazda2, I don't know why anyone needs more than 100hp.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

"Need" is a relative term. I find normally aspirated Miatas to be boring. Even regular supercharged ones are. It's not until the 200+ hp range in a Miata does the car become fun for me (and pushing 300hp is a blast). Is there a need for it? Nope. But for me it takes something that feels like a roofless appliance and changes it into a proper sports car.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Why would you want a new miata anyway? They made hundreds of thousands of proper ones from 1990 to 1997.

ftfy. I'm so sick of this clear plastic headlight image that auto makers have been cramming down our throats as "healthy" and "safe for pedestrians". Real Miatas have popup headlights. :colbert:

Also, I'm a firm believer in the old adage that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow. I quite thoroughly enjoy puttering around town with my slightly over 100HP, taking corners way too fast and wringing it dry on my way to the speed limit. It puts a stupid grin on my face every time. :haw:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I kind of ruined my miata on the street with star specs. It's not any fun on the street with stock hp. Maybe with a blower but as it is, it's boring. I have way more fun driving my e46 m3 or my gf's v6 mustang (kind of fast cars but keeping them slow). Also I don't care what any one says. There are times where the miata is a bitch and a half to drive in traffic due to the low power. Some rear end in a top hat takes a short merge lane entrance ramp super slow, you're hosed.

Also I loving want an ND. It looks like the best of everything to me, almost the same weight as an NA, shorter but with longer wheel base (I always found my miata slightly twitchy in some conditions). If it has the same or more power than a NC then I can't wait to test drive one. I see no negatives.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

Only in the US, ROW got 1.6 as the standard until the NC. I'm still not sure why would anyone get that though.

I finally made it to my first miata meet after two years of ownership.

This guy is nuts. He fried the ECU somehow and has no gauges. Like, they're physically missing :D

Anyway, this meeting owned. We got navigation instructions ("at 10.8km, make a right turn onto the main road" in picture form, so not quite pace notes) to follow and a bunch of tasks to complete, mostly spotting a landmark or something. After every 60km there was a meeting for a challenge, on of them was a small autocross track that you see above. I did ok there but failed miserably at everything else. I was driving solo so just juggling the instructions and not getting loving lost took up the majority of my attention. So unsurprisingly people with a passenger took the top spots on points.

The driving parts weren't timed so the pace was quite reasonable, but one guy got into a drift, over-corrected, and made contact with the rear bumper of an oncoming car :gonk: The only damage was some missing paint on the bumper near the front-left fender, not even a dent. I myself had some unintentional sideways action but that went without incident.

Overall this was a shitload of fun and something I'd prefer to do again over just driving at illegal speeds on public roads. Highly recommended if you get a chance.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

"Need" is a relative term. I find normally aspirated Miatas to be boring. Even regular supercharged ones are. It's not until the 200+ hp range in a Miata does the car become fun for me (and pushing 300hp is a blast). Is there a need for it? Nope. But for me it takes something that feels like a roofless appliance and changes it into a proper sports car.

That's because you got spoiled. If you've never driven a FI Miata on a regular basis the stock power is just fine. If I put a Turbo on mine I'd never be satisfied without one from then on, who wouldn't?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

http://wot.motortrend.com/1409_2016_mazda_mx_5_miata_more_secrets_revealed.html?sm_id=social_20140915_31670356

motortrend posted:

powered by a 1.5 liter, 130-hp base engine....As expected, however, there will be a larger 2.0-liter SKYACTIV engine, but our information is it will follow the launch of the initial 1.5-liter MX-5 by up to a year.

If that's for real, we're in for another Toyobaru thread, for the first year at least.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

:munch:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

It's the second coming of the NA, hallelujah.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Twerk from Home posted:

It's the second coming of the NA, hallelujah.

If that's the case, I hope base model ND's are going to be really affordable, but at least have AC(besides tossing the top back). I can deal with a little engine in a little car, so long as I can have AC in TX if I need it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

If it's really a 1.5 I hope there's a power steering / AC delete option

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wish it had 95 horsepower just so Miata.net would implode

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

I wish it had 95 horsepower just so Miata.net would implode

Or 95hp gas motor augmented by a 45hp electric. Hybrid Miata would implode m.net twice as fast.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Remember that since the 1.8 came out, RoW has had a smaller base engine than the US. Also, remember that Motortrend is the "my uncle who works for Nintendo" of car mags.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Car magazines have stepped up their game ever since car blogs became a thing and started poaching on their bullshit fabrications. That's the one thing they can own and no one will ever take it away from them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

Also, remember that Motortrend is the "my uncle who works for Nintendo" of car mags.

Seriously. Every midengine three valve V6 Corvette rumor has MT all over it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seriously. Every midengine three valve V6 Corvette rumor has MT all over it.

It's funny you say that. Apparently, C/D was disappointed in the amount of Miata info and scrapped the Miata cover story this month for a MT-esque cover story about the 2017 mid-engined Corvette Zora.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why not just render a mid engine Miata and run with that? Amateurs :colbert:

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
NC2 is midengine, justsayin

ok, front mid, but still.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Breaking news: ND Miata confirmed to weigh less than 1000kg, have 200horsepower, no stupid screen, and come with a year's supply of blowjobs. People on the internet still bitching.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Why hasn't the existence of this computer drawing of a car made my life better yet

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
What're the chances of finding an NA that's not a total pile of poo poo for 1.5 grand or less? I'm being forced to give up motorbiking for a year due to surgery and I want to actually enjoy owning a car again.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Your chances of finding anything that isn't an immediate death trap for $1500 are slim. Possible, but slim.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Expected. I can get decent Camrys and Civics all day for that price, but I figured I'd have to snipe Craigslist like crazy if I wanted a cheap Miata.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 18, 2014

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Look for something with a broken timing belt. Miatas have a real easy timing belt job and a non interference engine so a broken timing belt doesn't kill anything. I got a '97 with a broken timing belt but an otherwise perfect body and drivetrain including a LSD for 700$. You can do the job in just a few hours and maybe 100$ in parts.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Hell yes, that's good to know. Is there any rule of thumb for the crankshaft issue in the early NAs? Or is it a sometimes-it-happens-sometimes-it-doesn't kind of thing?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I think that it was only a risk for certain models. Something to do with a short-nosed cranshaft? I know it was only a problem in '91-'92.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
It is indeed the short-nosed crankshaft at fault, but it was all of 1990 and early 1991's. It's supposedly uncommon, but I'm just curious if there're certain noises or running characteristics I should be aware of if I were to test drive one within that date range.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Smallnose went right up to the middle of the '92 MY, at least on the 323/Protege.
It's not even an issue as long as the pulley is installed properly and the bolt is torqued to spec every time it's pulled off.
If someone hosed it up at some point it won't really let you know, until the crank fails.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So a broken short nose crank car that needs a timing belt should cost $500? Loctite the crank when you change the belt and drive it like you stole it.

rich guy tip,

People seem to just throw out 1.6 engines if you just want to swap it.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I have a 2010 PRHT NC, and I would like Sirius radio functionality. The radio does have a Sirius button (which does nothing) but I do not have an antenna or know what else what else might go into Sirius functionality. Is there anything else I need?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

http://goo.gl/7YFcpH

Instructions and parts to do the install on a soft top model. Sorry, don't have the hardtop instructions :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-miata-sirius-satellite-radio.html

Link for PRHT on that page.