Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

tbh if i had 2.5b id be gauche enough to just tweet my account balance

take a pic of mint on android having its layout hosed up by an account balance more than two digits, then a vine of the android being smashed with just a fuckload of rolls of dollar coins and then burying the whole lot with a steamshovel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fabricated posted:

maybe its the lf in me but i'd feel kinad gross if i had 2.5 billion dollars

im really boring; i don't think i could spend that much money if i tried and i don't have any vices taht i could spend that much money on

You'd develop some I'm sure

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

if i had 2.5 billion dollars, i guess i'd fund a 10 year guaranteed annual income pilot program in a small city.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Captain Foo posted:

You'd develop some I'm sure

i don't think they make $1000+ bottles of vodka nor would i live long enough to spend 2.5 billion if they did

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Fabricated posted:

i don't think they make $1000+ bottles of vodka nor would i live long enough to spend 2.5 billion if they did

http://billionairevodka.com

e:

quote:

What makes it ridiculously superior is the content of the bottle, Billionaire Vodka is triple distilled and is made of natural spring water. The vodka is first ice-filtered, then filtered through Nordic birch charcoal and lastly passed through sand made from crushed diamonds and gems.

3.7 million :lol:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
nice website for a $3 mill bottle of vodka

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

"i'd make the morally superior choice, duh :smug:"

*will never actually have to face that situation*

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
literally offer Chris Roberts like $5 million for an exclusive ship that can instantly destroy all other ships in star citizen for maximum trollage :iamafag:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

next genius microsoft move: purchase star citizen for 1.3 minecrafts

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the only way this makes sense to me is within the context of great pools of foreign money that they don't want to bring home and have taxed

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

2.5 billion for the right to call a thing "minecraft" because lord knows there isn't any unique technology or worthwhile code that they're getting out of the deal

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Good for Notch. The writing is on the wall at Mojang anyway, none of their other games are going to be huge breakout hits. Cashing out while he could before the inevitable tumble downwards is p much the right thing to do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fabricated posted:

maybe its the lf in me but i'd feel kinad gross if i had 2.5 billion dollars

im really boring; i don't think i could spend that much money if i tried and i don't have any vices taht i could spend that much money on

stick it in an investment account, live off the interest

the s&p average return is like 8% but even if it's half that you still make like $100million per year

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

tbh i would figure out how to set up a thing where i can live off of the interest and then give most of the rest away as either charity or research grants

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

take a pic of mint on android having its layout hosed up by an account balance more than two digits

I know a high-net-worth individual who found TurboTax's limitations like this

didn't hire an accountant until personal finance software literally stopped working

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

orphean posted:

Good for Notch. The writing is on the wall at Mojang anyway, none of their other games are going to be huge breakout hits. Cashing out while he could before the inevitable tumble downwards is p much the right thing to do.

smarter than zynga or king

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

someone on twitter pointed out that Disney bought Lucas for 4 billion

minecraft is worth 0.625 star warses

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

frrrrrrrrt

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
$2.5b an absolutely ridiculous amount of money.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Pinterest Mom posted:

star warses and indiana joneses

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

remember that 4 bil includes indy, as well. not sure how the star wars/indy split is, but still it's actually much closer to the value of star wars than that. which is kind of baffling when you consider how huge star wars is and how long it's been around in several media formats (movies, books, multiple tv series, video games etc.)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

smarter than zynga or king

so is my cat and she got her dumb rear end stuck behind the fridge this morning

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wheany posted:

star warses and indiana joneses

indianas jones

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

indianas jones

thanks

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i would do the same tbqh and for probably a lot less money

anything above 10 mil you could live off the interest indefinitely in a middle class level of comfort

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Pinterest Mom posted:

indianas jones

stars wars?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Share Bear posted:

i would do the same tbqh and for probably a lot less money

anything above 10 mil you could live off the interest indefinitely in a middle class level of comfort

1.5 million * 4% = 60k. Middle class.

10 million * 4% = 400k. ~98.5th percentile.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wheany posted:

stars wars?

star is an adjective. you put the plural on the noun.

big mac -> big macs
whopper jr -> whoppers jr

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*
steve ballmer paid less than 1.0 minecraft for the la clippers

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

to get it out of the way

William Safire Orders Two Whoppers Junior

NEWS IN BRIEF • Education • Food • Products • News Media • ISSUE 36•33 • Sep 20, 2000

NEW YORK–Stopping for lunch at a Manhattan Burger King, New York Times 'On Language' columnist William Safire ordered two "Whoppers Junior" Monday. "A majority of Burger King patrons operate under the fallacious assumption that the plural is 'Whopper Juniors,'" Safire told a woman standing in line behind him. "This, of course, is a grievous grammatical blunder, akin to saying 'passerbys' or, worse yet, the dreaded 'attorney generals.'" Last week, Safire patronized a midtown Taco Bell, ordering "two Big Beef Burritos Supreme."

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
the greatest tragedy of that article was not dipping into the well creative for a topper topper on Subway franchise grantor Doctor's Associates

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

to get it out of the way

William Safire Orders Two Whoppers Junior

NEWS IN BRIEF • Education • Food • Products • News Media • ISSUE 36•33 • Sep 20, 2000

NEW YORK–Stopping for lunch at a Manhattan Burger King, New York Times 'On Language' columnist William Safire ordered two "Whoppers Junior" Monday. "A majority of Burger King patrons operate under the fallacious assumption that the plural is 'Whopper Juniors,'" Safire told a woman standing in line behind him. "This, of course, is a grievous grammatical blunder, akin to saying 'passerbys' or, worse yet, the dreaded 'attorney generals.'" Last week, Safire patronized a midtown Taco Bell, ordering "two Big Beef Burritos Supreme."

william safire :allears:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pinterest Mom posted:

indianas jones

indies

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

1.5 million * 4% = 60k. Middle class.

10 million * 4% = 400k. ~98.5th percentile.

I used 1% as my baseline based on the tips rate http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/interest-rates/Pages/TextView.aspx?data=realyield which factors in inflation afaik

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
notch could live a luxurious life on the interest of his interest.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

4% interest LOL did you guys read rich dad poor dad in 2002 and stop caring about money after that?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

why would you put all your money in treasury bonds

average long-run return on the s&p 500 is something like 8%. chop off 2% for inflation and 2% because death is certain and you get a conservative estimate of 4%

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

why would you put all your money in treasury bonds

average long-run return on the s&p 500 is something like 8%. chop off 2% for inflation and 2% because death is certain and you get a conservative estimate of 4%

- comparatively lower risk, you are priced in when you purchase the bond
- protection against inflation

i'm not trying to maximize return, i'm trying to make sure the money stays put

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
bonds also compound differently than stocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

not really sure how this isn't straight-up lying but

quote:

Notably, Microsoft says that it expects the acquisition "to be break-even in FY15 on a GAAP basis." In other words, Microsoft believes it will make back what it has spent on Mojang and Minecraft by the end of this fiscal year (next June).
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/225611/Minecraft_studio_Mojang_has_been_bought_by_Microsoft_for_25B.php

• Locked thread