Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Raku posted:

Soooo glad Bama plays Florida and not Georgia/SC/Mizzou. You guys have fun and give us lots of gametape before the SEC championship game, ok (provided A&M or Auburn doesn't tear us apart)?

I don't get why you would be more worried about Georgia/SC/Mizzou than A&M. (or LSU/Auburn)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

every posted:

Like me, you should be worried about any team with a quarterback, because both our secondaries are pee pee doo doo it is a bad secondary.

You're not wrong, but Auburn and Missouri are probably the only teams left on our schedule that can really exploit that, so I'm crossing my fingers. (Leaving Clemson out for now since they're still kind of an enigma on offense.) In retrospect, opening with two very good Air Raid teams was the worst possible way for this particular Gamecock team to start the year. Pretty much the epitome of a trial by fire for our young secondary.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That Kent State shirt is part of their line of actually-vintage clothes. Which means it was probably someone's old sweatshirt that they used for painting or something.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

RumbleFish posted:

You're not wrong, but Auburn and Missouri are probably the only teams left on our schedule that can really exploit that, so I'm crossing my fingers. (Leaving Clemson out for now since they're still kind of an enigma on offense.) In retrospect, opening with two very good Air Raid teams was the worst possible way for this particular Gamecock team to start the year. Pretty much the epitome of a trial by fire for our young secondary.
Kentucky runs the air raid...

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Spacebump posted:

I don't get why you would be more worried about Georgia/SC/Mizzou than A&M. (or LSU/Auburn)

A&M, Auburn, LSU, are all in our division. We have to play them every year. This year we lucked out and get to play Florida instead of the good teams from the other division.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

Let's just say everything was so stupid that Texas botched the coin toss.

Well that sucks. I'd say at least we stayed close with them, but I know UCLA hasn't been playing all that well so far anyway.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Raku posted:

A&M, Auburn, LSU, are all in our division. We have to play them every year. This year we lucked out and get to play Florida instead of the good teams from the other division.

Fair enough.

I know it's only Monday but I'm really excited for all the games this weekend. This is going to be the first Saturday this season where I get to watch games all day.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I can't tell if Towles and his receivers looked good this weekend or if Florida is just that bad. I am looking forward to them exploiting Bone's size if he can develop the skills to go with his height.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Franklin should use the Sword of Omens to figure out that the wildcat is dumb

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Haha, I almost included UK in that post but decided to leave them out for the sake of my sanity. Given that and the fact it's in Lexington, I fully expect that game will be far closer and more stressful than it should. However, much like ECU, they're not a hyper-talented buzzsaw like A&M (and unlike ECU, they don't have a sharp veteran QB).

The laws of time and space bend whenever we travel to Lexington, though, so you won't catch me writing Kentucky off entirely.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 15, 2014

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I would have loved to see a Stoops Kentucky with Lorenzen behind center. The Florida game wouldn't have even been close.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Raku posted:

I would have loved to see a Stoops Kentucky with Lorenzen behind center. The Florida game wouldn't have even been close.

Lorenzen actually coached Towles his last year in high school and has been working with him some on the side. He was the guy Lorenzen supported for the starting QB job.

Actually, I think Towles is better than Lorenzen if he's really this good. He can run and he understands that he needs to loft the ball over the secondary if he wants to hit a deep man in coverage which is something Lorenzen really struggled with. I can't remember how many times I'd see Lorenzen torpedo a ball that didn't have a chance to get through the defense and he'd come off the field to 2 or three coaches making a "loft the ball like this" motion.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Oh thank God, finally I actually watched a game where people have been confused about something! This always seems to happen on the other channel.

To avoid intentional grounding you have to do one of two things; you must either go outside the tackles and then throw the ball back to the neutral zone, or throw the ball "into an area where there is an eligible Team A receiver". As I recall that play, the QB just went "gently caress!" and threw the ball at the ground with no receivers within about ten yards of where it was going, and Richt is being a good coach and talking out of his hoop to hopefully put some doubt in the next white hat's mind who might be thinking of calling that QB when the same thing happens in Week 6.

Incidentally, "intentional grounding" is not the best name for the foul, because the rule says nothing about the ball actually hitting the ground; technically, if you throw an interception to someone and he's the only player within 20 yards, that meets the criteria for intentional grounding (but we don't call it because the guy's just thrown a lovely interception and is embarrassed enough).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh thank God, finally I actually watched a game where people have been confused about something! This always seems to happen on the other channel.

To avoid intentional grounding you have to do one of two things; you must either go outside the tackles and then throw the ball back to the neutral zone, or throw the ball "into an area where there is an eligible Team A receiver". As I recall that play, the QB just went "gently caress!" and threw the ball at the ground with no receivers within about ten yards of where it was going, and Richt is being a good coach and talking out of his hoop to hopefully put some doubt in the next white hat's mind who might be thinking of calling that QB when the same thing happens in Week 6.

Incidentally, "intentional grounding" is not the best name for the foul, because the rule says nothing about the ball actually hitting the ground; technically, if you throw an interception to someone and he's the only player within 20 yards, that meets the criteria for intentional grounding (but we don't call it because the guy's just thrown a lovely interception and is embarrassed enough).

I wish you still made annual rules threads so there was a place to ask questions like that.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Kevin Olsen arrested for DUI and showing his Fake ID to the cops as a real ID.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

wa27 posted:

I wish you still made annual rules threads so there was a place to ask questions like that.

I mean, he still does. I forget if it got linked in any of the college threads though.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Aaron Brenner ‏@Aaron_Brenner
(Clemson OFfensive Coordinator) Chad Morris says his QB rotation with Stoudt, Watson will be more similar to the Georgia game than SC State. "What an opportunity for Cole."

Don't play Stoudt, Clemson.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Basil Hayden posted:

I mean, he still does. I forget if it got linked in any of the college threads though.

Oh, so there is! Guess I missed it for some reason.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Spacebump posted:

Not only that, they lied about what they were going for afterward.

http://gawker.com/urban-outfitters-sells-vintage-blood-spattered-kent-s-1634786441

"The one-of-a-kind item was purchased as part of our sun-faded vintage collection. There is no blood on this shirt nor has this item been altered in any way. The red stains are discoloration from the original shade of the shirt and the holes are from natural wear and fray."

I like that they had to break the illusion of fashion and just admit that the "one-of-a-kind" $130 sweatshirt is just a discolored old shirt with some holes in it. ~*Vintage*~

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

(Clemson OFfensive Coordinator) Chad Morris says his QB rotation with Stoudt, Watson will be more similar to the Georgia game than SC State. "What an opportunity for Cole."

I think you want them to do just that.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Urban Outfitters decided this was an appropriate way to celebrate Ohio State's 66-0 win over Kent State:

They were surprised that people objected to it, and it was quickly removed from the site.

I want one...

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Urban Outfitters decided this was an appropriate way to celebrate Ohio State's 66-0 win over Kent State:

They were surprised that people objected to it, and it was quickly removed from the site.

Someone please photoshop this onto the woman screaming in the picture. TIA

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

RumbleFish posted:

I think you want them to do just that.

I think we'll beat them either way, but Watson's clearly their future so the sooner he gets thrown to the wolves, the better.

every
Apr 24, 2008

I know I'm no shining example, but, JESUS, Georgia fans are so loving entitled. Yeah, losing games sucks, and it's a bummer that we haven't won a national championship in a long time, but the team is pretty consistently good...I don't think people realize that going undefeated is rare and difficult...or that 10-win seasons aren't horrible.

If Georgia ever wins a national championship, half of my joy will be relief that people will hopefully shut the gently caress up for a year or two.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

every posted:

If Georgia ever wins a national championship, half of my joy will be relief that people will hopefully shut the gently caress up for a year or two.

The refs were clearly bought off by FSU. We would have won the title game by a lot more if our back-up defensive end wasn't out with a stubbed toe for a quarter. Fire Mark Richt.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

every posted:

Even then there would still be a contingent loyal to #FireRicht because...

It's interesting to hear the crickets when you ask any of those morons who their replacement would be.

KIRBYSMART (uggh)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pillsburysoldier posted:

We had the same issue pop up back when Kyle Parker was starting QB, and Tajh was the young rookie backup. Everyone and their mother screamed for them to put Tajh in, but for seemingly no other reason than for seniority's sake, Parker stayed in.

Let me just start by saying I think Stoudt is better than Parker was. I really hope they took some time in the week off to work with Stoudt on a few things, and Morris and Dabo have already said that their play-calling for the UGA game was waaaaay too conservative. And they're absolutely right.

For the last 15 years or more (pretty much going back to Woody Dantzler), Clemson's offensive approach has been big plays and big play-makers. First possession of the game on the 25yd line? gently caress it, go deep and punch them in the nose. Stoudt doesn't quite fit with that mold, at least not yet. Or rather, he would if we had the big name guys at WR or RB to make amazing catches on not-so-great throws. Last year was just the perfect storm for that kind of offensive scheme because Sammy simply could NOT be out-thrown, and Tajh had a big enough arm to test that.

In short, I want to see Watson get a lot of play time on Saturday, but I also don't want to see him get hurt. And I honestly don't think Cole has done anything to warrant having his starting position pulled yet.

every
Apr 24, 2008

It's about as solid of a team as you could ask for, at this stage in the program. It's just a team that hasn't caught its break...and you just need to catch some breaks if you're going to "get over the hump," as they say. It's only hilarious when Georgia loses like they do every year because they're in the position to fall big every year in the first place. Highly-ranked teams get knocked off way more often than they survive and win national championships, and Georgia is often a highly-ranked team. And yeah, often over-ranked.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BunLengthHotDog posted:

Even then there would still be a contingent loyal to #FireRicht because...

It's interesting to hear the crickets when you ask any of those morons who their replacement would be.

KIRBYSMART (uggh)

I heard there is a young upwardly mobile OC in Alabama.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

This would be amazing.

every
Apr 24, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

lol

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
hire Gene Chizik away from Sirius/XM

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

Bip Roberts posted:

Actually that might work, going from Richt to him would be amazing(ly horrible), but at least that subset of fans would have to shut the gently caress up at that point.

BunLengthHotDog fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 15, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BunLengthHotDog posted:

Actually that might work, going from Richt to him would be amazing(ly horrible), but at least that subset of fans would have to shut the gently caress up at that point.

Having been through a similar situation, I'm pretty confident that they actually wouldn't. :smith:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Houston Nutt still has 12 teams left to go in his Tour de SEC....

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

every posted:

I know I'm no shining example, but, JESUS, Georgia fans are so loving entitled. Yeah, losing games sucks, and it's a bummer that we haven't won a national championship in a long time, but the team is pretty consistently good...I don't think people realize that going undefeated is rare and difficult...or that 10-win seasons aren't horrible.

Like clockwork.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Hutson Mason is the worst quarterback in the Southeastern Conference

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News: Gary Patterson's response this morning when asked by a reporter if TCU's offense is improving...

Gary Patterson posted:

"I have no idea. We played Samford and then played a Big Ten team."

Views: That was almost Spurrier-esque.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Hutson Mason is the worst quarterback in the Southeastern Conference

I'm inclined to disagree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Thoguh posted:

News: Gary Patterson's response this morning when asked by a reporter if TCU's offense is improving...

Views: That was almost Spurrier-esque.

That's my favorite Patterson quote ever.

• Locked thread