Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ahundredbux posted:

I really could not give a poo poo if the game is never released, it's just dumb to see people saying no-one is allowed to complain because it was only $20.

It's dumb to see the same people making the same general complaints on and on and on with little understanding of the situation that, for a slim transaction last year, seems like enormously wasted effort.

Seriously, the time people bitch about nonexistent problems with company management and farcical self-victimisation complexes in man hours could probably buy them the highest Starbound early access tier. Each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

WarpedNaba posted:

It's dumb to see the same people making the same general complaints on and on and on with little understanding of the situation that, for a slim transaction last year, seems like enormously wasted effort.

Seriously, the time people bitch about nonexistent problems with company management and farcical self-victimisation complexes in man hours could probably buy them the highest Starbound early access tier. Each.

Its like one really annoying autistic guy with a name tag saying "Naba" pinned on his chest so he doesnt forget his name got locked into an empty room that echos.
An "Echo Chamber" if you will.

Rrussom fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 15, 2014

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You can huff farts, my lad. You can huff them all day long.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

WarpedNaba posted:

You can huff farts, my lad. You can huff them all day long.

Can and do. :kamina:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Most of the time when I see the fifteenbux arguement brought out, it's less "It was cheap so you're not allowed to complain" but more "It was cheap so loving christ get a grip dude"

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Well at least people only spent fifteen dollars on it now, since they're going to raise the price when it leaves beta. Sort of like minecraft.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Devour or Fire posted:

they're going to raise the price when it leaves beta.

This thing is still in beta? I just happened to click the last post button here on my lunch break. Haven't touched the game in months. Anything interesting happen? :v:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

various cheeses posted:

This thing is still in beta? I just happened to click the last post button here on my lunch break. Haven't touched the game in months. Anything interesting happen? :v:

Take a wild guess.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

various cheeses posted:

4chan tried to get chucklefish in trouble with the UK government for tax fraud.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

various cheeses posted:

No, literally no updates for nearly a year now.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Devour or Fire posted:

No, literally no updates for nearly a year now.

I honestly hope that trend continues.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Rrussom posted:

I honestly hope that trend continues.

I agree, all the changes they're planning on making ~eventually~ are awful.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Devour or Fire posted:

I agree, all the changes they're planning on making ~eventually~ are awful.

I hope the next update, instead of any new content, they just add a code that automatically uninstalls the game when you boot it up.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I can't even tell which responses are sarcasm or not.

RentACop posted:

MWO thread got really good after the transverse announcement

I miss MWO. I still have my WoL patch I won at a goon thing on mumble.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Might as well go whole hog and remove boot.ini

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Party Alarm posted:

Might as well go whole hog and remove boot.ini

rrussom likes this post.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

various cheeses posted:

I can't even tell which responses are sarcasm or not.

Chucklefish took a half year break to shuttle most of their team to London.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Party Alarm posted:

Most of the time when I see the fifteenbux arguement brought out, it's less "It was cheap so you're not allowed to complain" but more "It was cheap so loving christ get a grip dude"

Yeah and I'm saying that maybe it's not about the money one person spent.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The fundamentals of this game are all wrong and I dont see what kind of development could save the "kill boring enemies to obtain boring items so you can move up the next level and kill more boring enemies" gameplay

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

babypolis posted:

The fundamentals of this game are all wrong and I dont see what kind of development could save the "kill boring enemies to obtain boring items so you can move up the next level and kill more boring enemies" gameplay

That is sort of the terrarialike in a nutshell?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

That is sort of the terrarialike in a nutshell?

It's basically every game ever in a nutshell. But most games give you interesting stuff to do/look foward to. Terraria actually had a decent sense of discovery and progression as you found more and more poo poo to explore the world. There is absolutely no progression in this game. Every armor is gonna make you take 3 hits, every gun will kill 2 enemies, and so on. Consequently there is no reason to explore or do anything.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Devour Or Fire can't stop posting about a game he expects to hate long into its release. Thank you for being our biggest fan. :allears:

Saw a couple of you talking about using Haskell for Wayward Tide in the thread earlier. Here's a more technical post about that: http://blog.chucklefish.org/?p=154

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 15, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Supernorn posted:

Devour Or Fire can't stop posting about a game he expects to hate long into its release. Thank you for being our biggest fan. :allears:

Haha, well, considering the vast majority of people who bought starbound have forgotten it exists I can't deny that I'm technically working for you.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Devour or Fire posted:

Haha, well, considering the vast majority of people who bought starbound have forgotten it exists I can't deny that I'm technically working for you.

I think its about time chucklefish compensated you for your services then.
Supernorn, do a thing for him.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The current model of hyping up unfinished early access games to fund development is really cool and good. At least I learned my lesson with Starbound and Day Z :(

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

babypolis posted:

The current model of hyping up unfinished early access games to fund development is really cool and good. At least I learned my lesson with Starbound and Day Z :(

What did we learn? Companies should rarely listen to their fans cause hype trains are hard to stop without crashing

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Devour or Fire posted:

Well at least people only spent fifteen dollars on it now, since they're going to raise the price when it leaves beta. Sort of like minecraft.

I spent $45 on this game and the only games with more time in them for me on Steam are Terraria, TF2, Dungeon Fighter Online(:rip:), Mount and Blade, and Path of Exile. More time than Dragon Age and half a dozen other AAA titles combined.

People complaining are almost all people who paid to play a game in testing and had some false belief that it means the game is/was close to launching, or that massive updates would be happening regularly. That's not really how software development goes (as the Day Z people are also finding out) amd rather than accepting this, people find it easier to bitch about development not being some magical joyride.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I spent $45 on this game and the only games with more time in them for me on Steam are Terraria, TF2, Dungeon Fighter Online(:rip:), Mount and Blade, and Path of Exile. More time than Dragon Age and half a dozen other AAA titles combined.

People complaining are almost all people who paid to play a game in testing and had some false belief that it means the game is/was close to launching, or that massive updates would be happening regularly. That's not really how software development goes (as the Day Z people are also finding out) amd rather than accepting this, people find it easier to bitch about development not being some magical joyride.

yeah it was a mistake to expect an actual game you could play and enjoy without being a broken human being and not a completely empty sandbox. as I said lesson learned

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Supernorn posted:

Saw a couple of you talking about using Haskell for Wayward Tide in the thread earlier. Here's a more technical post about that: http://blog.chucklefish.org/?p=154

Nice, zero deadlines.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Just wait for the announcement that Sony or Nintendo bought Chucklefish for 1 billion.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Just wait for the announcement that Sony or Nintendo bought Chucklefish for 1 billion.

Nice, then we might get a proper release at some point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

babypolis posted:

It's basically every game ever in a nutshell. But most games give you interesting stuff to do/look foward to. Terraria actually had a decent sense of discovery and progression as you found more and more poo poo to explore the world. There is absolutely no progression in this game. Every armor is gonna make you take 3 hits, every gun will kill 2 enemies, and so on. Consequently there is no reason to explore or do anything.

Eh, I dunno, I liked dark souls and that's a relatively accurate description of its progression.

It's sort of based around the idea of you enter a new area, get your poo poo handed to you, and then level up a bit to make the area easier, then you get catapulted into the next area and get your poo poo pushed in again.

I found with dark souls that it kept the game engaging, each enemy required a bit of getting used to with learning how to beat them, and it was never really so easy you could hack through dozens of enemies just by having good equipment, except very occasionally when you poured all your saved up cash into some nice upgrades which let you do a lot more damage for that area which felt good.

I do believe in the design philosophy of never really giving you a big advantage, because I find it makes games a bit dull, even if their combat mechanics are otherwise interesting. To me the make or break thing about the game is going to be exactly what sort of gear you can get, what sort of tech moves and gun effects and how well the new combat system handles. I would enjoy the game being high lethality, but the other part of what made dark souls was the big selection of cool stuff to find and try out. If they get enough interesting weapon types and enemy attacks into the game, I think I'd enjoy it.

Plus it's got that nice little building aspect to it which I'll probably have fun with, building towns and charging rent, gonna be pixel tycoon 2015.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The issue I have is that they've also increased the penalties for dying heavily.

In DS souls are essentially infinite but the system proposed for Starbound might get you stuck in a situation you cannot progress due to rare ores vanishing on death.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

The issue I have is that they've also increased the penalties for dying heavily.

In DS souls are essentially infinite but the system proposed for Starbound might get you stuck in a situation you cannot progress due to rare ores vanishing on death.

Can't you turn that off?

If so it's a bit dumb and I'll probably mod it out.

Though starbound as a roguelike would be... interesting...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, I dunno, I liked dark souls and that's a relatively accurate description of its progression.

It's sort of based around the idea of you enter a new area, get your poo poo handed to you, and then level up a bit to make the area easier, then you get catapulted into the next area and get your poo poo pushed in again.

I found with dark souls that it kept the game engaging, each enemy required a bit of getting used to with learning how to beat them, and it was never really so easy you could hack through dozens of enemies just by having good equipment, except very occasionally when you poured all your saved up cash into some nice upgrades which let you do a lot more damage for that area which felt good.

I do believe in the design philosophy of never really giving you a big advantage, because I find it makes games a bit dull, even if their combat mechanics are otherwise interesting. To me the make or break thing about the game is going to be exactly what sort of gear you can get, what sort of tech moves and gun effects and how well the new combat system handles. I would enjoy the game being high lethality, but the other part of what made dark souls was the big selection of cool stuff to find and try out. If they get enough interesting weapon types and enemy attacks into the game, I think I'd enjoy it.

Oh, good, we've got Dark Souls analogies now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno what else to compare it to really, I haven't played anything else other than a roguelike that features a similarly agonising level of not-letting-the-player-get-ahead.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno what else to compare it to really, I haven't played anything else other than a roguelike that features a similarly agonising level of not-letting-the-player-get-ahead.

Hence the concerns of those of us who are perfectly fine with having spent money and time on this so far and would like Chuckelfish to continue to do well. Because we don't want this-

babypolis posted:

Or, you know. Comparisons to Dark Souls in the more common on the internet "gently caress you, what are you casual? Your own fault for not using cheat engine but I'M doin great :smug:" sense. At least Owlfancier's got some sane opinions for his outlook despite the knee jerk reaction comparing a game to :darksouls: can cause.

vvv We're comparing it to Terraria too much, because Terraria starts you off with a Pickaxe that can dig up everything but made up fantasy materials :v: Before, I thought Starbound blew that away because "It's just speed, I don't need to grind rocks to dig rocks :neckbeard:" Now... "I need to grind LITERAL rocks, before I can dig copper and coal... Then work my way up to Iron so I can dig up gold, etc." Sure there are less pick tiers in Starbound overall still (I think?) but the START is just a sudden 180 into the most brutal digging progression I have heard of.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 15, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

babypolis posted:

Maybe you're comparing it to Terraria too much. Sure, as far as we know your player character doesn't change as much as in Terraria. You don't get a crazy character upgrade that lets you explore a new type of environment.

Instead, that exact thing happens to your ship. You get some new +1 rocket boosters that lets you explore an entire new set of world types. It seems like the exact same mechanic to me, you're just upgrading your ship instead of your avatar.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I fully acknowledge that my enjoyment of dark souls sort of makes me this dude I also would disagree with anyone who uses dark souls as an example of how HARDCORE they are and you loving CASUALS need to step up or whatever.

I guess I feel that any design document which stipulates a tight progression for the game can always be expanded upon with fun things at each level. Turning the entire game into an inscrutable dross of identical items would be stupid so I would be surprised if nobody notices somewhere along the way and thinks maybe they should inject a bit of fun back into the game, in the event that's where the road leads.

The general idea that attacks should kill enemies fairly promptly is one I like though, and that sort of necessitates you being quite fragile in return. I like games with that sort of lethality level because they're generally very mobile, the game moves along at a good pace and you're not stuck knocking chips out of an enemy for ages. I also find it fairly cathartic to hit enemies with a sword and have them die, best example of that I could probably give is left 4 dead, where blowing away a dozen zombies with a shotgun blast is pretty fun from a sheer positive feedback standpoint.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Plus it's got that nice little building aspect to it which I'll probably have fun with, building towns and charging rent, gonna be pixel tycoon 2015.

Dark Souls has things like exploration and varied enemies, bosses, items and playstiles and interesting poo poo to find and do, all important elements conspicuously missing from this game

• Locked thread