Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beeftweeter posted:

write once run anywhere lol
how many times in computre hitory has this been attempted and how many times has it actually worked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Fabricated posted:

microsoft might possibly make their money back if they somehow successfully port minecraft to a real language so it doesn't run like poo poo and start selling azure hosted minecraft servers or something

but not in a year, lmao

Mojang already has a hosted Minecraft server business that probably runs on AWS or something. Compile the server JAR with IKVM and put it on Azure is probably step one.

Getting the client to run on the CLR is step two, again IKVM and replacing LWJGL with Managed Direct3D (assuming LWJGL doesn't just work with IKVM).

Then rewrite/port the game proper (or just throw it away entirely and use the console C++) version, add the micro transactions, release it as Minecraft Live with a monthly subscription and then turn off the Minecraft 1 login server and sic your lawyers on anybody who dares run their own auth server or mod the client to bypass auth entirely.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

how many times in computre hitory has this been attempted and how many times has it actually worked?

you see windows metro modern combined with wpf is hahahhaha

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
or just make the game virtual and playable in any browser, which microsoft is 100% going to do

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Blackula69 posted:

or just make the game virtual and playable in any browser, which microsoft is 100% going to do

theres no way they're going to pass up the chance to make this xbox exclusive

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"b-b-b-ut they would lose out on all that sweet multiplatform money!!"

microsoft

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Beeftweeter posted:

"b-b-b-ut they would lose out on all that sweet multiplatform money!!"

microsoft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXNWchwDiG8&t=117s

lol eat dat crow

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i know what they said

its not like ms has a history of embrace extend extinguish or anything

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Phoenixan posted:

apple fucks up and releases a phablet

microsoft fucks up and spends 2.5 billion on a blocks game

sounds like the 6+ is basically sold out worthwhile though

MS wishes they could gently caress up that well

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

Google search for ps3 Xbox projection cartoon

what's funny about this is that the ps3 actually did outsell the 360 [eventually]

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

every program i've made for clowns to run at the circus has run on everything except the ones where i specifically used native interface (like almost 15 years ago)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Pinterest Mom posted:

Microsoft should move port minecraft to activex, imo

you're a real sick son of a bitch you know that?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
port it to silverlight

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

port it to xna

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
port it to foxpro hohahaha lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

port it to an excel macro

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

port it to the trash

because it's bad lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

carry on then posted:

port it to the trash

because it's bad lmao

i got it!!

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

qirex posted:

minecraft has sold like 40 million copies so I guess if they instantly raised the price to $100 and forced everyone to re-buy it to keep playing they'd have a chance

minecraft's merchandising merchandising merchandising is probably worth ~2x as much as software sales, so 2-3 times earnings is a pretty reasonable valuation

like, every 2 years they can crank out a sequel and have the minecraft movie and even if it never makes any money they can use software and hollywood accounting and tada they have a new slide they can show at a shareholder meeting touting diversification and big big earnings

also holding the ip lets them go after all the whatevercrafts if they're doing any little bit of business and swamp them with lawsuits

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
as whiny as minecraft modders are i cant wait for the dramambombs when ms starts trying to get a handle on that poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

A Pinball Wizard posted:

as whiny as minecraft modders are i cant wait for the dramambombs when ms starts trying to get a handle on that poo poo

they'll require code signing on the mod files and the whole scene will implode because those people are morons

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A Pinball Wizard posted:

honestly i could see notch "accidentally" leaking source code for a known proper build that everyone will just adopt as the only valid version of the game

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
if microsoft does Unreal's thing where mods can be supported/sold within the actual store/ecosystem for Minecraft with the author getting a portion and MS taking a cut it'll probably be okay given the whole infrastructure/process for the stuff isn't poo poo*

*it will be poo poo

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Fabricated posted:

if microsoft does Unreal's thing where mods can be supported/sold within the actual store/ecosystem for Minecraft with the author getting a portion and MS taking a cut it'll probably be okay given the whole infrastructure/process for the stuff isn't poo poo*

this seems pretty likely to me only i think they'll go after all the *craft and not just mods

like, they call the guy running whatever the biggest minecraft clone on ios is and they say, you can either start selling survivalcraft as a mod for real minecraft through our store, and keep selling your weird game on ios until we port this new version of minecrat to ios, or we'll paradrop a batallion of lawyers in three piece sharkskin suits on your office and it doesn't matter if your clone is fair use because you're like 6 guys working for 20k a year

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

microsoft is gonna let it rot like every other goddamn acquisition they've made

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
its easier for me to imagine that they bought mojang just to make minecraft 2 xbox one exclusive and add in microtransactions. they spent 2.5bn to make the xbox one sell. except:

eschaton posted:

friends on Facebook are talking about how their kids are in literal tears over Microsoft buying Minecraft

don't underestimate Microsoft's negative brand perception among young consumers

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

angry_keebler posted:

this seems pretty likely to me only i think they'll go after all the *craft and not just mods

like, they call the guy running whatever the biggest minecraft clone on ios is and they say, you can either start selling survivalcraft as a mod for real minecraft through our store, and keep selling your weird game on ios until we port this new version of minecrat to ios, or we'll paradrop a batallion of lawyers in three piece sharkskin suits on your office and it doesn't matter if your clone is fair use because you're like 6 guys working for 20k a year
they'll break even by suing the poo poo out of every mine craft clone

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

theres no way they're going to pass up the chance to make this xbox exclusive

that ship already sunk.

no, they're going to do a web version that requires IE

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

they'll break even by suing the poo poo out of every mine craft clone

i wonder what the total assets of all the clones adds up to

i'd guess not very much but then again there are zillions all getting ad revenue so who knows maybe we should all start making clones and mods and try to get scooped up by microsoft

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ask yourself: how could Microsoft best use this property in sync with their existing products to fortify and enhance their ecosystem. they will do the opposite of that.

I'm assuming they will make minecraft 2, which will be a windows 9 metro exclusive while leaving the current version to rot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mandatory games for windows live integration 3 months before they pull the plug on the servers

there will be some overlap of minecraft games for windows live advertising and the service not existing any more

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
maybe windows 9 will come with minecraft AND minesweeper.

orrrrrr some new type of synergy where minesweeper is now craft???

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
in other ms news windows pho has been rebranded

to "windows"

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/windows-phone-phones-turning-into-windows-phones-with-apparent-rebranding/

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
alright so that's Bing rebranded to MSN again, and now windows bing phones being renamed to just windows

do i have this straight?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh and the next version of windows is just called 'windows' as well

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

more warmed over tripe from microsoft

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

oh and the next version of windows is just called 'windows' as well

what

like a gritty reboot of the worlds least loved os franchise

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if the next version of office will be called "windows office" no matter what platform its on

hell just change the name of the company

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

qirex posted:

I wonder if the next version of office will be called "windows office" no matter what platform its on

hell just change the name of the company

i'm hoping for windows orifice :)

• Locked thread