Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

GhostStalker posted:

Please, it's gwailo. Zhang is from Hong Kong, and therefore speaking Cantonese.

Also, I don't think Mandarin speakers actually use gweiliu as an insult. Laowai, maybe.

In my experience, they just call you "cocksucker".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

What about covert operatives?

Zhang is always a heavy and heavies can't be covert operatives.

gyger
Feb 19, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

Zhang is always a heavy and heavies can't be covert operatives.

They should be, how are they supposed to stop the walking nuclear elerium death tanks?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Flesnolk posted:

What about covert operatives?
Good covert operatives are always snipers with gunslinger anyway.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Good covert operatives are always snipers with gunslinger anyway.

I always preferred Assaults for my covert ops... for when you absolutely, positively, have to run through someone's overwatch.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
You also don't need to do any special skill stuff, the skills that you already want on an Assault are all great for that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My policy has always been to keep the operative completely out of harm's way so it never really matters what class they are!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Usually the best policy. But there's an achievement I had to get so I went with the gunslinger option, then kept him hiding behind a wall the rest of the time.

also, there are some gene mods which make it hilariously simple.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Psion posted:

Usually the best policy. But there's an achievement I had to get so I went with the gunslinger option, then kept him hiding behind a wall the rest of the time.

also, there are some gene mods which make it hilariously simple.
That one gene mod on covert operatives completely breaks most of the missions they are involved in.

Not going to mention the gene mod by name until it comes up in game. But you know the one.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Operatives Rapid Firing their Plasma Pistols will always be the best way to handle covert operatives.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Next update is going to contain a LOT of screens of research all being completed at once and a few narrative blocks of text...I hope nobody has too much of a problem with that. Another case of "we'll get back to killing aliens episode after next."

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Narrative? In a Speedball LP?

I think we'll be able to manage. :)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Speedball posted:

Next update is going to contain a LOT of screens of research all being completed at once and a few narrative blocks of text...I hope nobody has too much of a problem with that. Another case of "we'll get back to killing aliens episode after next."

Got the south america bonus did you?

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Speedball posted:

We Have Ways > Muton Interrogation is probably the single biggest "gently caress you" XCOM can spit back at the aliens. Such bounty...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I want you to keep Zheng normal, and use him as the straight man to the rest of the nutball crew.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Reading this and the Definitive Guide LP make me want to get back into X-Com in a big way, but there's a problem: I suck absolute rear end at tactics and strategy--in this case, both base management AND the actual game. :saddowns:

Speedball posted:

Narrative in a Speedball Narrative LP? Blasphemy!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hobo Siege posted:

We Have Ways > Muton Interrogation is probably the single biggest "gently caress you" XCOM can spit back at the aliens. Such bounty...

Mutons give research credits (1/2 research time) for what exactly? Assorted plasma weaponry?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd guess alien steroids and grenades.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Considering "We Have Ways" exists is there any reason not to start in South America?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

Considering "We Have Ways" exists is there any reason not to start in South America?

The only reason to not start there is that it's a really small continent you can capture early on (and the countries don't give a lot of money); conversely, some of the benefits of starting in a three or four-country continent is that you get the benefit very quickly on and don't have to wait a month or two to lock it down.

That said I freaking LOVE We Have Ways.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

It's a really powerful boost, no doubt. But there are definitely other options: if you start in North America you get a satellite over the United States immediately, and the US gives the most money per month of any nation (when payouts aren't randomized). Africa's bonus is +30% cash per month, which is huge as well and really adds up fast.

North America, Africa and South America are kind of the "smart money" places people consider starting bases. I don't hear many arguments in favor of Europe or Asia, besides maybe "they have a lot of nations, so getting that bonus first means I can neglect it"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Speedball posted:

The only reason to not start there is that it's a really small continent you can capture early on (and the countries don't give a lot of money); conversely, some of the benefits of starting in a three or four-country continent is that you get the benefit very quickly on and don't have to wait a month or two to lock it down.

That said I freaking LOVE We Have Ways.

There's also a definite advantage to starting in Africa and throwing the first satellite up over America.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Flesnolk posted:

It's the easiest continent bonus to get, as it only takes 2 sats instead of 3 or 4. N.America and Africa get you benefits sooner, as you have to have Arc Throwers and the containment facility before you can benefit from S.America. I usually go Africa, as there's just so much stuff you want to build asap, and more money makes it easier.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

JT Jag posted:

It's a really powerful boost, no doubt. But there are definitely other options: if you start in North America you get a satellite over the United States immediately, and the US gives the most money per month of any nation (when payouts aren't randomized). Africa's bonus is +30% cash per month, which is huge as well and really adds up fast.

North America, Africa and South America are kind of the "smart money" places people consider starting bases. I don't hear many arguments in favor of Europe or Asia, besides maybe "they have a lot of nations, so getting that bonus first means I can neglect it"

Asia I think gets you hardware discounts which is pretty helpful when you want some of the more expensive foundry projects. Never had a problem with maintenance for labs or workshops so Europe isn't that useful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, Ve Haff Vays is a good choice for targeting satellites on since the bonus will likely come online at right around the time you start capturing aliens, but other continents can give a heavy boost right at the start.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dreamsicle posted:

Asia I think gets you hardware discounts which is pretty helpful when you want some of the more expensive foundry projects. Never had a problem with maintenance for labs or workshops so Europe isn't that useful.

Not so much the maintenance, but the BUILDING of them is expensive early on, if you want to rush satellites one way to go about it is to start in Europe, then spend all your satellites on Asia (Asian countries exclusively give engineers) while you build lots of workshops. Europe has the second-richest country, Russia, as its starting point, too. Two laboratories next to each other give a 50% science boost, which can add up fast.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

The 'mind reading mutants' department is (probably) already covered, and eventually "Macho Machine" who urges everyone to Snap into a Thin Jim will need a brother with whom to fistbump, therefore Zhangbot activate.

kaosdrachen posted:

Narrative? In a Speedball LP?

I think we'll be able to manage. :)

Comparing the LP (so far) with the narrative of the game itself... The plot of XCOM:EU/EW is 150% nonsense, and most of the dramatic tension (tactical bloopers aside) comes from either the RNG or Bradford/Vahlen/Shen's voiceovers. "You have to disarm that bomb or else it will explode!" Then there are hilarious bugs unplanned features. It's almost like they were attempting to make a serious satire of the infinitely-derivative parodies of serious coldwar era paranoia/xenophobia/scifi but they ended up coming back around into a different and more surreal kind of comedy. Does the fact that this was unintentional make it more or less postmodern? If Speedball's past works are any indication, there may be enough narrative weirdness in store to make up for the exposition-dump mission.

New favorite bug: use a grappling hook twice in a row (into sight of idle/patrolling aliens) and there is a chance the [aliens notice you, start battle music] cutscene will glitch out and leave your soldier stranded in the sky halfway across the map, unable to move for the rest of the mission.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Asiastart lets you ramp up your soldiers pretty quickly. And means you don't have to sat a few low income countries.
As well as generally being a lot of money (and other resources?) over the length of the game. Europ start has never struck me as particularly useful. Cash and engineers are the usual early game bottlenecks.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

As far as turning the interface itself into a joke I don't think I'll do better than Guavamoment's "How do you know it's a soldier?" "Just pick it up." "Yeah, it does feel soldiery…"

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, it's also because the background material said you were hiring the best of the best. SAS, Spetz, Delta, that kinda thing. Sure, it didn't always work out in play, especially at low levels, but the fiction is your rookies were the world's best of the best badasses.

Then some random triad guy joins up, and he's got better stats than your guys can ever get (well, until second wave got patched in) and gets to pull rank on all your vets. Plus, you couldn't customize him at all. (Also improved in later patches and DLC)

Just didn't mesh.

My personal headcanon is that Zhang is former chinese spec ops himself. Not only is he on par with the XCOM soldiers, he also somehow found out about the existence of XCOM and how to contact them. An SF veteran calling up old contacts is a logical explanation for both.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Magni posted:

My personal headcanon is that Zhang is former chinese spec ops himself. Not only is he on par with the XCOM soldiers, he also somehow found out about the existence of XCOM and how to contact them. An SF veteran calling up old contacts is a logical explanation for both.

Funny, this is also my interpretation of him, since he arms himself with a machine gun.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Don't forget that you don't lose your starting continent bonus even if countries on it drop out of XCOM. I like starting on Africa and dumping panic there while I put satellites over richer countries. If I can save the countries, great, but if I can't I'm only out $150 total for two and I still get a bonus from everywhere else.

Also keep Zhang how he is, unless something bad happens to him....

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Technical Q for Speedball: Since you're on a Mac and (mostly) can't use mods, does that mean the neato base zoom-ins are an Enemy Within perk? I'm playing along on EU and not getting to go up close and personal with the "ant farm", as it were.

Also, throwing my vote behind Keep Zhang as is, but keep Plan B ready.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Andy Waltfeld posted:

Technical Q for Speedball: Since you're on a Mac and (mostly) can't use mods, does that mean the neato base zoom-ins are an Enemy Within perk? I'm playing along on EU and not getting to go up close and personal with the "ant farm", as it were.

Also, throwing my vote behind Keep Zhang as is, but keep Plan B ready.

Mouse 3 scroll wheel.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I like starting in Asia too. It's a bonus that will save you an appreciable amount if you get it from the start (for the first couple of months it's probably about as good as starting in Africa) but it takes a long time to get and you get less from it the later you get it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Zack Ater posted:

I'm pretty sure you do. I can't say for certain, because you get XP from just surviving a mission, but I've had troops only stun stuff in a mission and still get promoted afterwards. I've never really payed attention, but I think mission kills and soldier kill count include stunned enemies. Also, according to the wiki, a successful stun counts for In The Zone.

Troops get XP for simply participating in a mission, though. With an extra bonus for having the whole squad survive (or maybe that's just LW).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, the early Muton. What else is in your capture tanks? A Sectoid and the Outsider? More? Less?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

Ah, the early Muton. What else is in your capture tanks? A Sectoid and the Outsider? More? Less?

Sectoid, thin man, floater, outsider, muton.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

It feels really good to research that many xrays all at once after you lock down South America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Speedball posted:

Sectoid, thin man, floater, outsider, muton.

Dr. Valen is going to propose to the Arc Thrower once the commander gives the authorization for interrogations and she learns how many new toys she can research.

• Locked thread