Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Not only is TRACING (no talent involved, the lowest denominator) but they also basically said in their page that you would do only the lovely kind of traced painting. Some of the examples on the kickstarter page are laughable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Japanese Phone Box posted:

Not only is TRACING (no talent involved, the lowest denominator) but they also basically said in their page that you would do only the lovely kind of traced painting. Some of the examples on the kickstarter page are laughable.

Yeah, I can't draw for poo poo, but using a reference like that, I can do better than a lot of those without tracing.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I love the before and after:

And for just $100, he will personally do a tracing specially for you!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Dude could start a goldmine thread from the Before pictures alone

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

SupSuper posted:

The cat is the one that gets me, even the after version looks like the most :downs: cat in the world.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

So the "Epiphany onE Puck" (the coaster that charges your iphone with a cup of coffee) is probably safe to call a scam now. No word from the creator in several months, and backers are getting restless.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epiphanylabs/epiphany-one-puck/comments

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

wa27 posted:

So the "Epiphany onE Puck" (the coaster that charges your iphone with a cup of coffee) is probably safe to call a scam now. No word from the creator in several months, and backers are getting restless.

ah as it turns out, thermodynamics is a thing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rudager posted:

The cat is the one that gets me, even the after version looks like the most :downs: cat in the world.

That's because it's a kitten, and all kittens have the downs.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

wa27 posted:

I think it was probably safe to call a scam the moment they said "charge your phone with a cup of coffee."

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Rosalind posted:

I think it was probably safe to call a scam the moment they said "charge your phone with a cup of coffee."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtmF8RRxBXg

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

wa27 posted:

Now whatever happened to the russian(?) hand-scanner that could scan anything and collected like a million.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Rosalind posted:

hey now

flip the thing over and you can charge with a cold drink too. it's revolutionary.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So Ritot is now up to a $1,300,000.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ritot-the-first-projection-watch

The comments section has the Ritot team saying they're reporting backers to Indiegogo for calling them a scam. I have no idea whether Indiegogo actually blocks or bans people, but if they block someone for calling it a rip-off and it turns out to be a scam, couldn't that make Indiegogo culpable in the scam? I'm just trying to figure out where the tipping point is from "it's an open marketplace - we make no guarantees" to "we're making money off letting other people screw backers out of money."

And of course the Ritot team is Russian.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SupSuper posted:

I like the Superman one. Now you too can draw these totally original things that you can call your own and just happen to look like they're from popular comics. AKA the Nick Simmons school of drawing.

Krispy Kareem posted:

So Ritot is now up to a $1,300,000.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ritot-the-first-projection-watch

The comments section has the Ritot team saying they're reporting backers to Indiegogo for calling them a scam. I have no idea whether Indiegogo actually blocks or bans people, but if they block someone for calling it a rip-off and it turns out to be a scam, couldn't that make Indiegogo culpable in the scam? I'm just trying to figure out where the tipping point is from "it's an open marketplace - we make no guarantees" to "we're making money off letting other people screw backers out of money."

And of course the Ritot team is Russian.

I hope that when the Ritot guys take the money and run that someone does successfully sue the gently caress out of Indiegogo because there has to be some basic level of responsibility here. The impossibility of this being anything other than wishful thinking at best and a blatant scam at worst has been hammered for how long now? Kickstarter caught flak for not taking down the date rape handbook because they 'only' had about a day to respond (and googling what PUAs are apparently takes awhile) while IG has been told about this for days or weeks now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope that when the Ritot guys take the money and run that someone does successfully sue the gently caress out of Indiegogo because there has to be some basic level of responsibility here. The impossibility of this being anything other than wishful thinking at best and a blatant scam at worst has been hammered for how long now? Kickstarter caught flak for not taking down the date rape handbook because they 'only' had about a day to respond (and googling what PUAs are apparently takes awhile) while IG has been told about this for days or weeks now.

Let's say that Indiegogo takes action in a case like this. How are they expected to audit the project? Should they only do it if the project is wildly over target? (Note that there is no difference in terms of exposure for any given backer between the target being hit exactly and the target being exceeded by $1,000,000.) Does it mean that there's an implicit endorsement by Indiegogo for everything that hasn't been taken down? That would be very dangerous for them.

I suspect that Kickstarter's time was also spent getting confirmation from outside counsel about how to take it down without presumptively assuming responsibility for proactively policing such things.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
"Flexible Funding" aka scam most of the time

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Evil Fluffy posted:

IGG's Terms and Conditions straight up tell people that they assume absolutely no responsibility or culpability for any of the projects on their site:

quote:

Indiegogo makes no representations about the quality, safety, morality or legality of any Campaign, Perk or Contribution or the truth or accuracy of your User Content (as defined below) posted on the Service. Indiegogo does not represent that Campaign Owners will deliver Perks or that Contributions will be used as described in the Campaign. Users use the Service at their own risk.

However they do have foolproof safeguards against scammers:

quote:

Campaign Owners are not permitted to create a Campaign to raise funds for illegal activities, to cause harm to people or property, or to scam others. If you know that your Campaign is claiming to do the impossible or it's just plain phony, don't post it.
Problem solved! :downs:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

IGG's Terms and Conditions straight up tell people that they assume absolutely no responsibility or culpability for any of the projects on their site:

Disclaimers saying you take no responsibility don't always protect you from lawsuits, especially if the creators broke any of Indiegogo's rules - which these guys kind of did by making a project with fake names and country of origin.

Not that I care what happens to the backers. It's just annoying seeing such a blatant money grab. Maybe these guys will get their million dollars and immediately lose it when Russia invades the Ukraine and their economy crashes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SupSuper posted:

The best part of this is the idea that someone who can only manage stick figures would give their stick figures horrifying existential nightmare heads. A horrifying dreidl man with no brain in his open skull, staring forever into the abyss. That's what I think of when I try to draw supermans.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The best part of this is the idea that someone who can only manage stick figures would give their stick figures horrifying existential nightmare heads. A horrifying dreidl man with no brain in his open skull, staring forever into the abyss. That's what I think of when I try to draw supermans.

I'm the donut mouth.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Of course, they used to make rather loftier claims:

quote:

Indiegogo has a comprehensive fraud-prevention system to protect our users. All campaigns and contributions go through a fraud review, which allows us to catch any and all cases of fraud.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130911201538/http://support.indiegogo.com/entries/20501033-How-Does-Indiegogo-Deal-With-Fraudulent-Campaigns-

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Japanese Phone Box posted:

It's less tracing and more camera obscura, which many great artists used.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

This might have already been posted and I missed it.

But another butter knife Kickstarter popped up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/that/heated-butter-spreader and what is silly is that it's already on sale on Amazon, and has been there for at least a few months: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KGWNOO6

Despite that, it's doubled it's funding goal at $40k and there is not cost savings at all if you weren't one of the early backers (and even then it was only saving $5). I just don't get why people are backing this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

.Z. posted:

This might have already been posted and I missed it.

But another butter knife Kickstarter popped up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/that/heated-butter-spreader and what is silly is that it's already on sale on Amazon, and has been there for at least a few months: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KGWNOO6

Despite that, it's doubled it's funding goal at $40k and there is not cost savings at all if you weren't one of the early backers (and even then it was only saving $5). I just don't get why people are backing this.
They didn't even rebrand it? Wow.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That disclaimer is in no way a legal shield for sites like IGG or KS. A lawyer could and would destroy that if it was the site's actual defense in court.

When numerous sites are reporting on how a very large funding campaign is offering something that's only slightly more plausible than a do-it yourself cold fusion reactor kit, or that they're actually based in a lawless blackhole like Russia while falsely claiming to have a presence in a location like the US, yes you should be held responsible if it's a scam because the scam wouldn't have been bale to take place without you providing the platform and carelessness in its operation.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I must be missing something but why is that ritot watch thing so beyond the realm of possibility? it's projecting numbers and basic graphics on your hand. there are cell phones that can project movies and poo poo on the wall or whatever.

like if the argument is 'they can't possibly make this in a way that won't completely suck' i would likely agree but I'm not seeing anything about it that particularly space age.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Zereth posted:

They didn't even rebrand it? Wow.

From the makers in their comments: We are seeking funds to build the second generation spreader. If you are happy enough with the first gen - and yes it does work but we are trying to improve upon it - then we appreciate your business either way!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Am I a bad person for briefly sifting through Ali baba seeing what could be rebranded and dropped shipped for a kick starter or indiegogo campaign?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

orphean posted:

I must be missing something but why is that ritot watch thing so beyond the realm of possibility? it's projecting numbers and basic graphics on your hand. there are cell phones that can project movies and poo poo on the wall or whatever.

like if the argument is 'they can't possibly make this in a way that won't completely suck' i would likely agree but I'm not seeing anything about it that particularly space age.

Because it's projecting poo poo on your hand, which is at a very flat angle very close up, as opposed to a wall close to a right angle many feet away. It's very difficult to do that, optically, and especially for something that can be comfortably worn on a wrist and not bulge out too much to fit long sleeves or something.

You can show this for yourself if you have an alarm clock or other item that projects a display and is small - trying to get a workable image for something nearly parallel with the projection direction gets really hard.

fondue posted:

Am I a bad person for briefly sifting through Ali baba seeing what could be rebranded and dropped shipped for a kick starter or indiegogo campaign?

You know as long as you mention you're organizing cheaper product buys by getting a large order in, you're in the clear.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Nintendo Kid posted:

You can show this for yourself if you have an alarm clock or other item that projects a display and is small - trying to get a workable image for something nearly parallel with the projection direction gets really hard.

That makes sense, thanks man. I was thinking it would work like one of these goofy things:

But even the projection distance on those is pretty low it is still a lot more than the 1.5 inches to your wrist or whatever it is that watch is trying to do.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

orphean posted:

That makes sense, thanks man. I was thinking it would work like one of these goofy things:

But even the projection distance on those is pretty low it is still a lot more than the 1.5 inches to your wrist or whatever it is that watch is trying to do.

How do those work anyway? Like, why wouldn't it trigger a whole bunch of other keys accidentally because you're trying to hit a certain key, or what?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Elissia posted:

From the makers in their comments: We are seeking funds to build the second generation spreader. If you are happy enough with the first gen - and yes it does work but we are trying to improve upon it - then we appreciate your business either way!
... Plausible. Seems like the sort of thing that should be front and center though.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

fondue posted:

This dude did it, selling 85 cent fountain pens for $50.00 (discounted from $85).

https://medium.com/the-magazine/blurred-visionnaire-cbb0bc2869a

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
^^^ I expect a lot of kickstarters are like this and never get caught. Pen enthusiasts are a die hard bunch but most are just like audiophiles: Walking piggy banks.

orphean posted:

The issue is the form factor. Projecting across an uneven surface at an extremely obtuse angle is going to be difficult. Working that projector, the sensors to see where the hand is, the Bluetooth receiver and other assorted electronics for driving the projector and especially the battery into a wristband is just unrealistic.

Add on top of that the staff are a few unknowns with no online presence, and the entire page consists of just photoshops of attractive stock photo people and you have an obvious scam.

(Also these projectors tend to suck in open daylight.)

MrAptronym has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Sep 16, 2014

msyronfire
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1680489050/the-poo-puck-an-earth-friendly-dog-waste-retrieval?ref=popular

At the $45 level, Poo Puck Inc will print the faces of your terrible children on a stack of Post-It notes you can adhere to the back of the lid. So as you're stomping dog poo poo into your honeycomb apparatus, you can squish it into their smug faces and recall their tears as they begged you for a puppy that they now ignore to play videogames all day.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

How do those work anyway? Like, why wouldn't it trigger a whole bunch of other keys accidentally because you're trying to hit a certain key, or what?

They usually have a secondary IR projection at the same time as the visible keyboard, and they detect finger positioning by the light of a key reflecting off the fingers. Typically, you have to get your fingers really close to the surface to be detected, to avoid false detections from the rest of the hand/fingers.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

orphean posted:

Imagine using one of those while lying on a water bed with a fussy sleeper. It would still be better than the 'watch' being offered.

Verdugo posted:

This dude did it, selling 85 cent fountain pens for $50.00 (discounted from $85).

https://medium.com/the-magazine/blurred-visionnaire-cbb0bc2869a

The level of pen obsession saddens me more than anything else. It's a loving pen. These are the kinds of people who will probably go and spend $50 on some designer brand comb when one of those cheap 3 for a dollar black ones will work just as well.

MrAptronym posted:

(Also these projectors tend to suck in open daylight.)

Even good projectors suck in open daylight. The sun might be far away but it's still really loving bright if it's not behind some cloud cover.

The whole "bunch of stock photos with poo poo photoshopped on to it" should've been reason enough to step in but Indiegogo and Kickstarter will never be proactive when they can make money, until one or both of them finally get taken to court and are smacked the gently caress down for allowing scams and legally dubious (the PUA handbook) poo poo to be funded through them.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

fondue posted:

I just ran into this: http://www.selfiebrush.com/

I'm surprised this wasn't crowdfunded. It's perfect. Not quite practical, cheap to mass-produce and it involves an iPhone. Success guaranteed.

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

Stick Insect posted:

I just ran into this: http://www.selfiebrush.com/

I'm surprised this wasn't crowdfunded. It's perfect. Not quite practical, cheap to mass-produce and it involves an iPhone. Success guaranteed.
There has been a "selfie-stick" which was just a plastic rod with a holder.

msyronfire posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1680489050/the-poo-puck-an-earth-friendly-dog-waste-retrieval?ref=popular

At the $45 level, Poo Puck Inc will print the faces of your terrible children on a stack of Post-It notes you can adhere to the back of the lid. So as you're stomping dog poo poo into your honeycomb apparatus, you can squish it into their smug faces and recall their tears as they begged you for a puppy that they now ignore to play videogames all day.
So I am supposed to dry dogshit in my backyard (dogshit compost?) then throw it in the garbage. I guess they never thought of all the nasty stuff that is in poo poo (viruses, bacteria etc) that can spread by touch and air even if dried. Also I am pretty sure some wild animals and rodents seek out poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
The world's smallest camera drone:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/3d-pocketcopter-the-flying-camera#home

More accurately, low-rent 3D models of a flying suppository with nothing to indicate that they've lifted a finger towards making it work.

Plus they claim it'll be able to record 3D images despite being way too small for a proper stereoscopic setup.

Plus it was set up as flexible funding with a goal of only 15,000 Euros.

Am I right in assuming that it's maybe slightly more likely to see production than the projector watch?