Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I use extended display @ 1080p with whatever video player I want from my Air and I haven't encountered any issues.

It pushes a lot of data though and it's really sensitive to interference, get a simultaneous dual band router (if you don't have one already) and assign separate SSIDs for each band, make sure both devices are connected to the 5GHz band, your issues will probably go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

dik-dik posted:

what's a good source for high resolution fine art I can set as my background?

e: Nevermind, I guess everybody can guess that this was link to goatse :).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

phosdex posted:

Should I drop $16 on istat menus or is there something else with its functionality.

MenuMeters is free, but doesn't contain quite as much information

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Fwiw extended display works flawless for me. I have my macbook on 5Ghz N, and the apple tv on gigabit ethernet. The 5Ghz wifi makes a huge difference because there are like 50 2.4Ghz networks in range making that band almost useless. only a handful of 5Ghz networks though.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I just installed Yosemite Public Beta 2 over top of a fairly new 10.9.4 installation, and this is what my App Store looks like:

This is what the purchases page looks like, regardless of whether I am logged in. The Sign In link does nothing.

And the Updates page, which is also pretty bare, even though it claims there is one update.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

kode54 posted:

I just installed Yosemite Public Beta 2

Is this on your hackintosh?

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dik-dik posted:

There's an app for Android (and maybe iOS?) called Muzei that sets your background to a new piece of fine art every 24 hours. Is there something similar for OS X? Alternately, what's a good source for high resolution fine art I can set as my background?

When you go to change your desktop background in system preferences, you can choose a folder and then tell it to cycle through the pictures in that folder at a particular interval.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

flavor posted:

Is this on your hackintosh?

Oh god, don't tell me that's the reason. :(

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

kode54 posted:

I honestly have no idea, was just curious. The two Macs I run the DPs on don't have that issue.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I would honestly love to get ahold of the DPs, but it looks like it will involve reinstalling Mavericks so I have a working App Store, then downloading DP1 as that's the newest version that can be retrieved directly.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

E: Ignore me I'm stupid

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

I can't believe they won't release some kind of OS X update on or before Friday seeing as how loads of the promised iOS 8 features won't even work without Yosemite. If not, I'll definitely risk some crazy DP install instead of my PB.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

kode54 posted:

Well, you can't ever rule out upgrade weirdness even on unsupported hardware. Only way to find out is to try again or do a clean install.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

kode54 posted:

I just installed Yosemite Public Beta 2 over top of a fairly new 10.9.4 installation, and this is what my App Store looks like:

This is what the purchases page looks like, regardless of whether I am logged in. The Sign In link does nothing.

And the Updates page, which is also pretty bare, even though it claims there is one update.

Well your update page is bare because you're not signed in.

You can try deleting the plist files related to appstore in ~(user)/library/preferences and library/preferences then reboot. May work.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DP8 and PB3 are both out today. Not sure how different the builds are, but it sure looks like it's starting to come together quickly. They'll still tweaking UI stuff more than I'd expect this late in the game, but this one looks rather polished.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

benisntfunny posted:

Or use Mint... Or Check.me.. Getting a credit card to get at this information is a bit overkill

Mint solved my issue.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
What's good software that will make a movie or video file so that it will fit on a. Android or iPhone? I know there are tons out there but what does SHSC recommend?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

b0nes posted:

What's good software that will make a movie or video file so that it will fit on a. Android or iPhone? I know there are tons out there but what does SHSC recommend?
The recommendation has pretty much always been Handbrake.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

DP8 and PB3 are both out today. Not sure how different the builds are, but it sure looks like it's starting to come together quickly. They'll still tweaking UI stuff more than I'd expect this late in the game, but this one looks rather polished.

Please god, let them fix .gifs and large images in Safari.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

Please god, let them fix .gifs and large images in Safari.

I wish :( (haven't update yet).

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Any word on what's actually different/improved in PB3?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just updated and initial testing on PYF Gifs is positive. It's not crashing anymore, and while there's the occasional millisecond lag as it renders the page it's not really a problem.

I switched from Chrome to Safari when I moved to the Appleseed beta and I've been getting about an hour and a half of extra battery life. There's still some pages I switch back for but I'm happy that "absurd number of .gifs" no longer means moving back.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Devil Tesla posted:

Just updated and initial testing on PYF Gifs is positive. It's not crashing anymore, and while there's the occasional millisecond lag as it renders the page it's not really a problem.

I switched from Chrome to Safari when I moved to the Appleseed beta and I've been getting about an hour and a half of extra battery life. There's still some pages I switch back for but I'm happy that "absurd number of .gifs" no longer means moving back.

Downloading DP8 now and I hope you're right because for me that "absurd number of .gifs" could be as low as one at times.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Downloading DP8 now and I hope you're right because for me that "absurd number of .gifs" could be as low as one at times.

Oh yea, I got those too sometimes, so it's probably the same issue. I think the fix should work for you too!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Devil Tesla posted:

Oh yea, I got those too sometimes, so it's probably the same issue. I think the fix should work for you too!

Definitely seems better on first impression.

The installer is so weird though. Timer was WAY off for me. It did the recovery partition quick enough, and then it rebooted and said 16 minutes to update the OS, at which point it spun for like one minute and then faded into my desktop. At first I was like "... wait, did the update fail?"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Definitely seems better on first impression.

The installer is so weird though. Timer was WAY off for me. It did the recovery partition quick enough, and then it rebooted and said 16 minutes to update the OS, at which point it spun for like one minute and then faded into my desktop. At first I was like "... wait, did the update fail?"

Perhaps it's doing that "I'm working in the background, but there's no reason you can't use all the stuff that's ready. Just don't use whatever obscure stuff (that I haven't told you) I'm still updating, or I may puke" type of update.

On the one hand "Yay! Unobtrusive!"

On the other "Boo! Tell me what you're doing!"

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Holy poo poo I can load gifs in Safari now! (PB3 posting)

Also re: updater: mine took maybe 5? 10? minutes to update. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Gifs seem to be just fine, but they inexplicably stopped being godawful a week ago on PB2 for me. v :) v

I'm not sure how long the installer took for me, but when I came back to my computer it was bitching at me that I'd restarted it because of a problem, so I feel like it decided to crash/reboot itself somewhere in between. Couldn't've taken more than like 10 minutes though.

Did they change the battery icon again? I swear the full charge icon didn't have the huge lightning bolt through it an hour ago.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Update to DP8 couldn't have taken more than 15 minutes, although the cancel button did oscillate between enabled and disabled the entire time it was downloading so I guess that's my token issue.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Best part about DP3 is the Windows shares are showing up again. :neckbeard:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

flosofl posted:

I'm assuming wireless. My first guess is going to be RF issues (although since that's what I do for a living, it can narrow my vision). What band are you on? 2.4GHz (b/g/n) or 5GHz? Do you live in an apt/dorm or fairly dense neighborhood? You may be suffering from channel overlap or duty cycle saturation.

Barring that, both OS X and iOS on atv up to date?
What's the file format?
/
If you can, you can also import into iTunes on the MBP and then use Home Sharing. It may do a better job of buffering.

The home share works fine, thanks for the tip. I also realized the sound de-synching is due to the sound coming from the macbook instead of the tv like it would when air psyching my iPad. Is this a setting somewhere to fix?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Worst part of DP8 was this:
SMS Note
- SMS Continuity is not currently available for testing. It will be available in October via a free update to iOS 8.

It was buggy but I still liked it :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

Worst part of DP8 was this:
SMS Note
- SMS Continuity is not currently available for testing. It will be available in October via a free update to iOS 8.

It was buggy but I still liked it :(

Did they disabled this in DP8 itself or on the backend servers? Because this actually stopped working for me either yesterday or Saturday. I was really making good use of it too :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The home share works fine, thanks for the tip. I also realized the sound de-synching is due to the sound coming from the macbook instead of the tv like it would when air psyching my iPad. Is this a setting somewhere to fix?

Glad to hear home share worked.

That's weird on the sound. The only thing I can think of is to check your sound settings in System Prefs and see if there's anything in there that might be over-riding where the sound goes.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Kingnothing posted:

Well your update page is bare because you're not signed in.

You can try deleting the plist files related to appstore in ~(user)/library/preferences and library/preferences then reboot. May work.

The menu showed that I was signed in. Oh, and the new App Store is sandboxed, so its container must be deleted as well.

Alas, instead, I reinstalled 10.9.4, downloaded DP0, then went through 8 updates all the way to DP8, and now another four hours while it runs the migration wizard to reload my old data from Time Machine. Hopefully that doesn't gently caress it up again.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Does anyone know if there is anymore scheduled wipes of iCloud Drive coming up before public release? I want to buy the extra storage space, but I don't want to have all my stuff erased because I did it two days early. I've heard other people bought storage I just want to confirm that there isn't going to be another wipe like during the beta periods since technically it's all still in beta until the 17th.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I realllllyyy cant wait for SMS messaging on OSX. I don't really miss Windows anymore, but being able to text from my PC to my phone was one of the best things I didn't know I wanted in functionality.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

SaturdayKnight posted:

Does anyone know if there is anymore scheduled wipes of iCloud Drive coming up before public release? I want to buy the extra storage space, but I don't want to have all my stuff erased because I did it two days early. I've heard other people bought storage I just want to confirm that there isn't going to be another wipe like during the beta periods since technically it's all still in beta until the 17th.

They've said from the beginning there won't be any wipes.

Also, upgraded to PB3, and still no continuity features other than those 20 glorious minutes at Starbucks the other day, when it only went one way from my mac to my phone. It seems to be something to do with how my MBP or my phone handles bluetooth, as my phone can see my mac in Airdrop, but my mac can't see my phone. Going with the mac because it's still in beta, where the phone is running the GM.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OH YEAH. Now I remember why I hated Safari. Apple removed the "warn when quitting with more than one tab open". Cmd-Q is precariously close to Cmd-W, and Apple's preferred "reopen last closed tabs" is a poor substitute for a quit warning when you've got a tab with text entered, or are using a stageful web app.

There's got to be an extension to fix this, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Martytoof posted:

OH YEAH. Now I remember why I hated Safari. Apple removed the "warn when quitting with more than one tab open". Cmd-Q is precariously close to Cmd-W, and Apple's preferred "reopen last closed tabs" is a poor substitute for a quit warning when you've got a tab with text entered, or are using a stageful web app.

There's got to be an extension to fix this, right?
I know it's basically a workaround but I went and turned the 'Close windows when quitting an app' option in System Preferences->General off because I quite like having apps remember the windows I had open when I quit them (and it also alleviates the issue you've described above). That said, I have disabled the 're-open windows when logging back in' thing that OS X does when you shut down/restart because I found it causes the system to wait for 30+ seconds before it launches any of the 'run at startup' programs. I've also manually told a few apps like Terminal not to re-open their windows with default write commands since I find them problematic if they reopen the window contents.