Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Eddain posted:

My GTX 570 was pretty comfortable gaming at 1080p, but once I got a 1440p monitor I've had to drop some settings down. It wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade once the GTX 900s come out right?

I find a 780ti to be perfect, a 290 or 780 would probably be considered excellent for most people. Given how close the launch is though, if you've waited this long it wouldn't hurt to see what the reviews of the new cards say. If a 970 manages to equal or outperform the 780 whilst costing less, it would likely be a good value buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Will the 970/980 be subject to nVidias minimum standards (total mind blank on what it's called) for noise/cooling etc?

Also, will the launch be like the 770/780 where it's mostly blowers?

Sorry for all the questions - figure other people might want to know this stuff as well!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Guni posted:

Will the 970/980 be subject to nVidias minimum standards (total mind blank on what it's called) for noise/cooling etc?

Also, will the launch be like the 770/780 where it's mostly blowers?

Sorry for all the questions - figure other people might want to know this stuff as well!

Nvidia isn't going to dump greenlight, it has been enormously successful.

A whole pile of custom cooled cards are "confirmed" in that they have been teased/leaked by manufacturers. I'll be very surprised if they don't launch with the cards.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Asetek just announced a major design win with an undisclosed OEM for video card liquid cooling. Who is it, Dell?

According to rumor, that's the cooler for the R9-390X, which will be moving to a metal, hybrid liquid design. The R9-295X also uses an Asetek-designed cooler, and this supposed picture

I can't load the original story on Baidu, so I can't comment on the veracity of the rumor. But all the usual tech-journalism gang of idiots are picking this up.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
As the R290 cards have gotten cheaper, so have their components: according to Finnish forum post (translated https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=fi&sl=fi&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmurobbs.plaza.fi%2F1713976907-post2177.html ) the power components have been reduced in quality and amount, though it can't be said for sure how long this has been going on.

BurritoJustice posted:

Nvidia isn't going to dump greenlight, it has been enormously successful.

And talking about greenlight, same site observed this in their MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming 3D card review:

quote:

MSI to advertise the product pages Military Class 4 components, but the circuit board is used the same components as NVIDIA's reference graphics card. Components are up to some extent reduced. The circuit board is equipped with a power supply from the Eight, of which six phases is dedicated to the GK110 graphics circuit and the two phases of GDDR5 memory sticks.

OTOH Greenlight does not mean that the components must be same as in reference, as long as the agreed requirements for power and stability are met.

The full article about these cases is translated here: https://translate.google.com/transl...aatua-vaivihkaa

Rosoboronexport fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 15, 2014

Titor
Aug 26, 2014
If the GTX 760's are going to drop in price, what would be an acceptable pricepoint in buying another for SLI? Would I just be better of selling my current GTX 760 and buying a new anticipated card? I'm well aware of the pro's and con's of SLI: despite that I'm still unsure.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Titor posted:

If the GTX 760's are going to drop in price, what would be an acceptable pricepoint in buying another for SLI? Would I just be better of selling my current GTX 760 and buying a new anticipated card? I'm well aware of the pro's and con's of SLI: despite that I'm still unsure.

If you could pull one for $175 (used) you will be at roughly 780/780ti levels for games that SLI. As long as you know the pros and cons, that's what you're looking at.

If the 980's perform at roughly 780ti levels for $500 however, that kind of really reduces the value of 760 SLI. But in any case, that would involve selling your 760 and probably putting down at least $300. Which is technically almost twice as much money out of pocket. Unless you try and sell 760 used like right now and try to get the most of it.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Hey everyone, I have been working on building my new PC, but have encountered an issue with the GPU. Someone in the PC parts-picking thread recommended I ask here to see if anyone can help out with what's going on. Here's the original post, detailing the issue:

McSlaughter posted:

My father and I just finished putting together my new build, and I am having some issues with the GPU. I've been searching around for a few hours now and trying a lot of different solutions, but I'm still stumped. If anyone could shed some light on this, that'd be great.

These are my specs:
ASRock H97m Pro4 LGA1150
i5-4590 3.3Ghz Quadcore
MSI nVIDIA GeForce GTX760 2GB
Rosewill Capstone 550W PSU
Samsung 840 Evo Pro
(Also a 1TB HDD that has yet to be installed; need another SATA cable first)

I booted my computer and installed Windows 8.1 onto my SSD just fine. I installed all the drivers from the CD ASRock provided me, and then disabled the Intel HD Graphics 4600 driver (which is my onboard graphics, if I'm not mistaken) and then rebooted. I also tried configuring my UEFI settings but found that it wasn't available in the boot options menu that you get to by holding Shift while pressing Restart on the Charms bar. I took a guide through the UEFI on my motherboard's BIOS, but it said that UEFI was already enabled, so I decided not to mess with it. The issue is that any time I install my GTX760, I connect the PCIe connectors, connect my VGA cable directly from my monitor to the GPU's VGA input, and the power on the computer only to find that my monitor gives a "No Signal" screen and then goes into standby/sleep mode. My computer is still running and I believe it is booting to Windows, I just get no display. I am stumped here and any help would be greatly appreciated, again my PC is working just fine without the GPU installed but there is no display with it installed. Thanks!

Just to note: I made a post on Tom's Hardware and was told that I didn't need to turn off my onboard graphics--despite what I had read elsewhere, including on the same website--so I re-enabled it in Device Manager, but that did not change anything. Like I said, the computer works fine without the GPU installed, but even if I mount the GPU and don't connect the PCIe connectors (as someone suggested I try) the monitor still does not receive a signal with the VGA cable. Also, I do not own a DVI cable and I attempted to use my HDMI cable but my monitor does not have an HDMI input so I had to use my television instead, which was also unable to retrieve a signal (which doesn't surprise me, since I could never get HDMI to work with my old desktop either even though it works without issue with my laptop). Thank you very much for your time, hopefully I'll be able to resolve this problem soon.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Did you have to swap around a ribbon cable to connect the vga? They apparently have polarity and only work one way even though you can plug them in upside down.

My experience is probably unique to low profile cards but hey, maybe this is it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
With the cables connected go to control panel -> Display and click on Detect. Sometimes the auxiliary monitor won't be autodetected so you have to manually enable it.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

cisco privilege posted:

With the cables connected go to control panel -> Display and click on Detect. Sometimes the auxiliary monitor won't be autodetected so you have to manually enable it.

With the cables connected to the GPU I don't get any display on the monitor at all, so I cannot navigate to my control panel to do that. I'm not sure but I don't think Windows 8.1 is actually booting up, I tried to login to my profile without the screen display but I hear no login sound, and there is no other way for me to tell if my computer is getting to post or not while the GPU is in.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

McSlaughter posted:

With the cables connected to the GPU I don't get any display on the monitor at all, so I cannot navigate to my control panel to do that. I'm not sure but I don't think Windows 8.1 is actually booting up, I tried to login to my profile without the screen display but I hear no login sound, and there is no other way for me to tell if my computer is getting to post or not while the GPU is in.
Sorry I misunderstood - I thought at least the main monitor was responding. Try the 760 in another PC to make sure it works properly if you haven't already, and pick up a DVI cable at Radioshack or at least borrow one to connect to your main LCD. I don't think most modern cards even support analog VGA video anymore so I'm not surprised a D-Sub connection wouldn't work even with a DVI adapter if that's what you're attempting.
edit: Looks like they included DVI-I outputs on these so it should work, but straight DVI is probably best.

HDMI is also compatible with DVI so you can get an HDMI-to-DVI adapter from monoprice for cheap if that ends up working better. My 280X doesn't have a second DVI output and my monitor doesn't have HDMI-in so I use an HDMI-to-DVI cable to run the second monitor.

Does the monitor work when you connect it to onboard video with the 760 installed? Might be a bad card.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 16, 2014

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

cisco privilege posted:

Does the monitor work when you connect it to onboard video with the 760 installed? Might be a bad card.
It does not work when the 760 is in the motherboard. The fans on the GPU run, but even without the connectors plugged in and just the card in the MOBO's socket it will not send a signal to the monitor.

e: Oh my bad just to clarify I meant my DVI cable in the original post, not VGA. I own a DVI cable that goes directly into the DVI port on either the graphics card or the motherboard, and the other end goes into my monitor.

McSlaughter fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 16, 2014

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A way to check if the computer boots is to check your router for a DHCP lease coming from your desktop computer. If there is one then it booted in fine, at least partway. This assuming that you have set up your machine get an IP automatically on boot.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

With the 900 series about to release, is it a good idea to hold off on purchasing a GTX 760, or do the prices tend to not decrease all that much.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

McSlaughter posted:

I do not own a DVI cable and I attempted to use my HDMI cable but my monitor does not have an HDMI input so I had to use my television instead, which was also unable to retrieve a signal

McSlaughter posted:

I own a DVI cable that goes directly into the DVI port on either the graphics card or the motherboard, and the other end goes into my monitor.

I am very confused right now. Exactly what is plugged into what with what kind of cable? -- and note that VGA, HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort are each different cables (without even getting into mini and micro versions).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

everythingWasBees posted:

With the 900 series about to release, is it a good idea to hold off on purchasing a GTX 760, or do the prices tend to not decrease all that much.

The first cards will be the 980 and 970, so I wouldn't expect a big price cut on the 760 - there won't be a replacement yet. That said, the 760 has seen quite a lot of price pressure lately just from being late in the product cycle. It started at "$250" (usually plus $10 to $30 for the right custom cooler/factory OC), and now it's regularly hitting $230 on semicustom cooled/moderate OC cards, sometimes $220. Hell, Zotac even has a reference-cooled model for $210, no rebate shenanigans, right now, and even MSI's fancy 6.7" long ITX-edition card is at a very reasonable $230 AR.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

Rastor posted:

I am very confused right now. Exactly what is plugged into what with what kind of cable? -- and note that VGA, HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort are each different cables (without even getting into mini and micro versions).

I meant that I do not own a VGA cable. I have a DVI cable that I connect directly between the motherboard or GPU port, and that I do not own a VGA cable but did try HDMI from the GPU to my TV to see if that would pick up a signal since my monitor does not have an HDMI input. Sorry for the term confusion, I didn't even realize that I was mixing the two up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I was ready to throw down for GTX 980 until GTA V got delayed until 2015.

God drat it.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Interesting issue I ran into with my R9 270X. It seems I cannot use both DVI ports at the same time as the HDMI. So, I have my Asus VG278H connected to the primary DVI port, Dell P2414H to DisplayPort, and Rift DK2 to HDMI.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
That's not so much an issue as it is an explicit design limitation. HDMI and DVI use TMDS transmitters to generate their signals, and there are only enough for two different monitors. If all the monitors are the same resolution and framerate, then the card has a hack to run all three off of DVI/HDMI, but otherwise you do need DisplayPort for the third-through-sixth screens.

Of current-gen cards, I think only Nvidia's GK104 and GK110 have enough TMDS transmitters distributed correctly for three of HDMI and/or DVI.

Upon reflection, what bullshit this all is. DisplayPort 4 Lyfe.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 16, 2014

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

McSlaughter posted:

Hey everyone, I have been working on building my new PC, but have encountered an issue with the GPU. Someone in the PC parts-picking thread recommended I ask here to see if anyone can help out with what's going on. Here's the original post, detailing the issue:

Just to note: I made a post on Tom's Hardware and was told that I didn't need to turn off my onboard graphics--despite what I had read elsewhere, including on the same website--so I re-enabled it in Device Manager, but that did not change anything. Like I said, the computer works fine without the GPU installed, but even if I mount the GPU and don't connect the PCIe connectors (as someone suggested I try) the monitor still does not receive a signal with the VGA cable. Also, I do not own a DVI cable and I attempted to use my HDMI cable but my monitor does not have an HDMI input so I had to use my television instead, which was also unable to retrieve a signal (which doesn't surprise me, since I could never get HDMI to work with my old desktop either even though it works without issue with my laptop). Thank you very much for your time, hopefully I'll be able to resolve this problem soon.

With the GPU installed, plug your monitor into your motherboard output so that it is using the onboard graphics (you may need to enable the onboard graphics in the BIOS while the GPU is installed). Then open the Device Manager and verify that Windows is recognizing the GPU.

My rough guess is that your GPU might be DOA, but it's possible that your motherboard itself is having issues. Also try different PCIe slots to see if that makes a difference. I assume you've also plugged in any auxiliary power if your GPU needs it, but double-check that too.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

isndl posted:

With the GPU installed, plug your monitor into your motherboard output so that it is using the onboard graphics (you may need to enable the onboard graphics in the BIOS while the GPU is installed). Then open the Device Manager and verify that Windows is recognizing the GPU.

My rough guess is that your GPU might be DOA, but it's possible that your motherboard itself is having issues. Also try different PCIe slots to see if that makes a difference. I assume you've also plugged in any auxiliary power if your GPU needs it, but double-check that too.

I installed the GPU (I can only fit it in the PCIe Express slot, it can't fit on the other PCI because it is too close to the PSU), connected the PCIe connectors, and then booted the PC with the DVI cable in the motherboard port--and nothing. Still no signal to the monitor. I connected the 8-pin and the 6-pin connector to the GPU from the PSU, and the fans spun while the computer turned on. You may be right, the GPU could be DOA. I may take my GPU to my dad's house and try it in one of the computers there and see if I can make it work. If not, I'll just send it back.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

kode54 posted:

Interesting issue I ran into with my R9 270X. It seems I cannot use both DVI ports at the same time as the HDMI. So, I have my Asus VG278H connected to the primary DVI port, Dell P2414H to DisplayPort, and Rift DK2 to HDMI.

As stated by Factory Factory, that's as intended, additional monitors are supposed to be over DisplayPort, but this can be obscure to realise unless the manual states it. At least you had monitors with inputs to cope with this situation.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 16, 2014

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you

Twerk from Home posted:

R9-270 = 7850
R9-270X = 7870
R9-280 = 7950
R9-280X = 7970

Way to go with the rebrands, AMD.

So by this metric, what is the R9-285? My impression is that it's new silicon and not just a rebrand, but I'm not sure if that's true

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I am not sure what the 285 really *is* in that context. I guess performance wise its more or less a 7950. 285x coming?

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-receiving-price-cuts-retailer-prior-gtx-980-launch-bought-449/

$449 msrp 290x? :)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

balakadaka posted:

So by this metric, what is the R9-285? My impression is that it's new silicon and not just a rebrand, but I'm not sure if that's true

You're entirely right! The R9-285 is entirely new silicon with all of the nice new features that came on the R9-290. However, at the moment it looks like street prices are higher than a 280X and it is about the same speed as a 280, so wait and see unless you specifically need high performance per watt.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

balakadaka posted:

It's new silicon, but it's slower than a 280X, but faster than a 280 (for the most part) but lower power than a 280. The naming kind of blows for this card, because it's not really in order. I think the next round of AMD cards will have to be rebrands of GCN1.1 parts to blow away the old.

JG_Plissken
Oct 22, 2005

I went to a four year college and all I got was this stupid look on my face!
http://videocardz.com/52362/only-at-vc-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-final-specifications

I really hope the GTX 980 doesn't launch at $600

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Yeah my 780ti is looking a bit more attractive especially since the reference clocks they're using to compare are 20% lower than most aftermarket. Now if there is that kind of headroom for the 980 on top of the 1216 mhz reference for the 980 then it'll be a little different. If the 750ti is any indication I guess perhaps its possible

$600 is a little annoying though

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Videocardz has a long history of fake leaks and those specs don't line up with the more legitimate looking leaks. This is the most legitimate looking leak and the 970 has more TMUs and half the ROPs as what they're reporting the 980 is supposed to have. With how Nvidia has done all of their previous generations of cards it wouldn't make sense for the 970 to only have half the ROPs, and it especially wouldn't make sense for it to have more TMUs.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 16, 2014

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Hopefully this translates to a big perf/watt increase on the mobile side (970-980m)

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
I haven't been keeping up with graphics card stuff since I bought my 7950 ages ago, I feel like I'm missing something here but I was wondering why the 290X is £100 cheaper than the 780 Ti even though in benchmarks they seem to have a similar performance

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Liu posted:

I haven't been keeping up with graphics card stuff since I bought my 7950 ages ago, I feel like I'm missing something here but I was wondering why the 290X is £100 cheaper than the 780 Ti even though in benchmarks they seem to have a similar performance

The 290X is hotter and usually louder. You're entirely right that AMD has a huge edge on pricing right now with the 280X vs 770, 290 vs 780, and 290X vs 780 Ti.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Liu posted:

To be honest, at any given price, AMD is usually better bang for buck, but people like to choose NVIDIA cards for reasons other than price/performance

vv AMD also has an H.264 hardware encoder that can be used with their software now too

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 16, 2014

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Well Shadowplay does seem pretty sweet, and temperature and noise are issues for me (PC won't be in a great location but very awkward to move it somewhere else), I'll be playing at 1080 so I wouldn't want to overkill that and get nothing but noise and heat for my troubles. Maybe I'll just get a standard 780.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

^^ You're already into blatant overkill territory with 290's and 780's for 1080p

780 is more comparable to the 290(x). I'm not sure I've ever seen a benchmark where the 290x is even with the 780ti. Not saying it isn't out there. It has generally cost considerably more so I'd hope so though. Perhaps a reference 780ti vs a non reference 290x. Now that I think about it maybe Tomb Raider was even

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

HalloKitty posted:

vv AMD also has an H.264 hardware encoder that can be used with their software now too

Encoding has never been the "magic" of shadowplay, it's the framebuffer capture which we're starting to see implemented it seems.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

1gnoirents posted:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a benchmark where the 290x is even with the 780ti.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1056?vs=1072

The most commonly cited benchmark tool, and 290X is ahead in certain games. It's also more recommended if you have a higher res setup, as the increased memory bandwidth alone (let alone the increased VRAM) often let it pull ahead in 3840×2160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Liu posted:

Well Shadowplay does seem pretty sweet, and temperature and noise are issues for me (PC won't be in a great location but very awkward to move it somewhere else), I'll be playing at 1080 so I wouldn't want to overkill that and get nothing but noise and heat for my troubles. Maybe I'll just get a standard 780.

You're at 1080? Grab a 280X at the highest, they've been as low as $220 lately.