Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The interns are at it again!

Dat production value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

jadebullet posted:

Why did they get rid of squats again? Those models look really awesome.
Those aren't the 40k squats, those are kitbashes of most of the old fantasy dwarf range. The actual squat models are walking eggs and shorter imperial guard.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yes, but if they would do modern day squats I am sure that they would look better than the old range.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

That's probably one of the better ones too.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

They're pretty much an entire army, now!
And god drat do they look awesome.

Cataphract posted:

I don't understand this... you save less than six quid and get some resin sculpts from a 2nd tier company but don't get any of the extra bitz or customisation options that come in the GW MANZ kit.
I don't know if I'd call them second tier since the models are really nice, but I really do prefer the GW MANz with all their details, customization options, the ease of working with plastic, and the design aesthetic wholly consistent with the rest of GW's stuff.

I just went through all my Ultramarines and retro IG and drybrushed the bases with Rotting Flesh. My right arm feels like it's going to fall off after drybrushing like 150 bases but they all look much better now. Just one more step to add to the process of painting those dudes.

Also Ghost Hand, I listened to the new episode of the ICs while working on my Oath - thanks again for having me on! I didn't realize I talked that fast until I heard the recording.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

jadebullet posted:

Why did they get rid of squats again? Those models look really awesome.

And yeah, my fiance is great. At some point she also wants me to paint up some Imperial Fists with stop signs for weapons because she is convinced that their paint scheme means that they are the Emperor's Crossing Guards. Also when we moved into our new apartment I found that my box containing my Storm Raven had been lovingly labled "Space Barbie Malibu."

Preferred enemy: jaywalker

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Please don't make fun of my senior project.

I hope Dark Eldar are good again because Hixson has a baller Dark Eldar army that I wanna see on the table again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I have successfully through trade, ebay now have 8 Helbrutes. :) . Finally!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Speaking of Dark Eldar, my friend revealed he will be collecting them as his army. Any advice for a Space Marine player to combat Dark Eldar?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

BuffaloChicken posted:

I wanna play! I'll bring the bottle of Jameson.

She "gets it."

Anybody have :siren:GREY KNIGHT TERMINATOR BITS:siren: they're willing to part with? With the Inquisition and GK Codexes being split I need to make some new models to fix up my lists, and some Exo-Armour Squats will fit the bill nicely. I need Terminator arms and weapons to put on Dwarf Irondrakes. They'll be quite a bit like the ones I made below for a commission.

Also, will soon be looking to take a new commission. Let me know if you need cool things converted for your armies!

Wait, what? GK and Inquisition are being split again? What.

And I have some GK/Inq bits but absolutely none from the new sets. I don't like how huge and dumb the weapons on the plastic models are.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

Wait, what? GK and Inquisition are being split again? What.

And I have some GK/Inq bits but absolutely none from the new sets. I don't like how huge and dumb the weapons on the plastic models are.
Inquisition have had their own codex for like a year and Grey Knights got split off from them completely with their most recent codex.

Uroboros posted:

Speaking of Dark Eldar, my friend revealed he will be collecting them as his army. Any advice for a Space Marine player to combat Dark Eldar?
They've always been the army that gave my armies trouble, since I tend to have lots of lumbering, hard hitting units that you don't really need. You want autocannons, missile launchers, and heavy bolters to take care of their vehicles. You'll want to be mobile and ranged or else they'll just circle you and pick you apart at 36"-48" away. Fighting them, whether at ranged or up close, is a matter more of quantity of fire than quality of fire since their stuff tends to die very easily.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cataphract posted:

I don't understand this... you save less than six quid and get some resin sculpts from a 2nd tier company but don't get any of the extra bitz or customisation options that come in the GW MANZ kit.

edit: never mind, I hadn't refreshed and didn't realize I was responding to something from a previous page

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Calling it now; from an original Lysander idea where Bolter Drill was literally a Bolter Drill

Master Twig posted:

After 9 days and using pretty much all of my free time on it, I got the Hive Knight completed. I know it's not perfect, but I love it dearly.

This owns and you should be proud of yourself. I was pretty skeptical about a Tyranid Knight, but you pulled it off pretty drat well!

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

I have a very small handful of RT era GK bits. I also have some Forgefather dudes from Mantic that came with my wannabe Thunderfires if you want them. PM me.
Thanks for the offer, but i'm trying to keep the squad consistent by just using the new plastic GK. Much appreciated, though!

jadebullet posted:

On the topic of interesting bits lying around, does anyone have any cool looking axes lying around that they wouldn't mind parting with? I am working on my honor guard for my marines and I figured that it would be cool to have them all have large, two handed axes and angelus boltguns, but I am having trouble finding cool looking axe heads.
I'll soon have a few ornate axes spare from the Dwarf Ironbreakers I'm getting. Let me know if they interest you.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dwarf-Ironbreakers?_requestid=1673991

Gotta keep the goon bitz karma flowing, after all.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yo buffchix: that Librarian is almost done. I'll take pictures once the varnish is dry. He's looking boss as gently caress and I think he'll be leading my Ultras in the tournament I'm hitting in November.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

SRM posted:

Inquisition have had their own codex for like a year and Grey Knights got split off from them completely with their most recent codex.

They've always been the army that gave my armies trouble, since I tend to have lots of lumbering, hard hitting units that you don't really need. You want autocannons, missile launchers, and heavy bolters to take care of their vehicles. You'll want to be mobile and ranged or else they'll just circle you and pick you apart at 36"-48" away. Fighting them, whether at ranged or up close, is a matter more of quantity of fire than quality of fire since their stuff tends to die very easily.

Everything I read seems to indicate they do a number on space marines. Would a drop pod heavy army with a core of troops in razorbacks be a good method? I suppose what I'm wondering is should I play aggressive and try to take the fight to them ASAP, or should I sit back wait for them to come my way?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I feel like playing defensively against DE will just get you hedged in and murdered that much faster.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've always wanted to play against DE since I hear they are like no other army, but nobody in my circle has them.

In my mind weapons with good range, mid strength, and high volumes of fire would be ideal (hellllo volkite weaponry)

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Uroboros posted:

Disable the transports - if they can move, they'll kill you.

They are very very good at landing a lot of wounds due to poisoned weaponry, as a marine player you do have an advantage with good saves.

I tended to use drop pods to land suicide attack squads to wipe out key transports turn 1.

If they're on foot and in the open they're basically tissue paper models.

Look out for things like wyches and archon in combat, they can have brutal wargear (2+ invuln which works until it fails is nasty) and a ton of high initiative attacks.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Uroboros posted:

The entire army depends on very weak vehicles to survive. As marines you have a ton of melta and plasma options to get rid of them; once they're down DE infantry are T 3 5+ armor saves, soo not super scary.

Ravagers are key vehicles to destroy, after those are down focus on the other transports.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The biggest threat to Marines that DE are packing is darklight spam. They can bring enough blasters and dark lances to direct volume S8 AP2 shooting into Marine tanks and terminators.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Cataphract posted:

To be honest I wouldn't get either kit. I already have the resin Manz from when they were released ages ago. I don't really need any more but I would have picked up a box from GW if the price had not made me laugh. I got the Flash Gitz box and that was stupid money for 5 models. At least Manz are worth taking.

It is good for me that I have more fun converting than I do playing.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I dream of a Mandrake buff, I have thirty of those little fuckers based on the strength of the models alone.

They haven't seen play since 5th, really.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

BuffaloChicken posted:

Thanks for the offer, but i'm trying to keep the squad consistent by just using the new plastic GK. Much appreciated, though!

I'll soon have a few ornate axes spare from the Dwarf Ironbreakers I'm getting. Let me know if they interest you.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dwarf-Ironbreakers?_requestid=1673991

Gotta keep the goon bitz karma flowing, after all.

Man, those would be perfect. Thanks man.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I have successfully through trade, ebay now have 8 Helbrutes. :) . Finally!

Oh drat it. I have just last night completed my third Helbrute for my Mayhem pack. I found myself thinking "Hmmm, if i could get 2 more Helbrutes i could field a Murderpack". Are you telling me the compulsion never stops!?

I have visions of myself turning up at a tournament 6 month's from now. "It's actually an Unbound army, 15 Helbrutes".

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Deptfordx posted:

Murderpack

But are you using a murderpack with murderfang using his murderclaws with a certain murderlust?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So the 1/56 scale Crusader tank I bought from Blitzkreig miniatures finally arrived after nearly a month of waiting, and I'm not really sure if I can use this as a count-as Leman Russ.

The casting quality is pretty drat good though.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Great to make into a grot tank, though!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Raphus C posted:

To be honest I wouldn't get either kit. I already have the resin Manz from when they were released ages ago. I don't really need any more but I would have picked up a box from GW if the price had not made me laugh. I got the Flash Gitz box and that was stupid money for 5 models. At least Manz are worth taking.

It is good for me that I have more fun converting than I do playing.

Hey, say what you will about $50 for a unit of 5 flash gitz in game, but modelling-wise I had more fun with that kit than any of the other kits I've put together. The guns alone are 8 pieces, for mork's sake!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

So the 1/56 scale Crusader tank I bought from Blitzkreig miniatures finally arrived after nearly a month of waiting, and I'm not really sure if I can use this as a count-as Leman Russ.

The casting quality is pretty drat good though.

Aww, your tank had a baby

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Hey, say what you will about $50 for a unit of 5 flash gitz in game, but modelling-wise I had more fun with that kit than any of the other kits I've put together. The guns alone are 8 pieces, for mork's sake!

Yeah, I really, really enjoyed assembling the Flash Gitz. Great kit, shame about the price and the associated rules!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Boy, if you think they're bad NOW...

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

They're just relatively expensive for a small shooting unit with low BS and survivability. I really wish they were good, because they're hella sweet models, but...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I played against a buddy a few weeks ago, and his Flash Gitz got one round of shooting against my Terminators. He rolled AP1 and they chewed them the gently caress up. I know the chances are only 1/3 that they'll go through my armor, but sheesh that was rough.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Flash gitz are high risk/reward. Pricey for almost any situation and easily doubled out, but when preparation meets opportunity they will eat 600 points of terminators and HQs in a single round of shooting.

They literally made a kid cry. I felt horrible.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I think just upping their BS to 3, 4 if they stand still would be enough to make them a lot better. Disclaimer: I've not been playing all that long, so I may be totally off base. But hm. I might try fielding mine sometime, since I have them anyway!

On a more positive note, the Ghazghkull supplement Bully Boyz meganobz formation has performed really well for me. My 2k list is:

Megaboss w/combi skorcha + Lucky Stikk
29 shoota boyz and nob w/boss pole + powerclaw
29 shoota boyz and nob w/boss pole + powerclaw
5 meganobs, three with combi skorchas and two with killsaws in battlewagon w/ 2x big shootas
5 meganobs, three with combi skorchas and two with killsaws in battlewagon w/ 2x big shootas
4 rokkit buggies
4 rokkit buggies
4 rokkit buggies

The Warboss joins one of the units of manz, making them WS 6 Fear and Fearless. Each meganob unit rides in a wagon, with the buggies screening them. Sometimes I outflank one of the buggy squadrons, depending on the map.

Meganobs just tear things up in close combat, I've found, and the wagons are tough enough to get them into range, especially with the cover save the buggies give them turn 1. The stikk is just absurdly good.

Might try swapping down the boyz to either small mobs or backfield squatter gretchin and try out flash gitz or other more specialized units next game. I've got everything but Fast Attack free, since the wagons are dedicated transports and the meganobz are a formation!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 16, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:siren:Yo buffchix::siren:

Next I've got some Assault Marines. I was kinda dreading these dudes because of their jump packs getting in the way, but they painted really easy! It wasn't even that hard to get the sergeant's transfer on under the jump pack vent:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

jadebullet posted:

Well, I play a lot of board games with my fiance which is why I wanted to get Space Hulk, but we more, or less, just play to have a good time as opposed to criticizing every little thing about the board game we are playing so I guess it would be a pretty fun game. I have never really played Talisman before. Plus we aren't above throwing in house rules to turn a mediocre board game into a better one.

I figured this would be a nice, cheaper way to get her into 40k for the time being as opposed to the alternative, which is building her the Ork army she wants. So far she has decided that she wants a lot of mad boyz in her army, and that her war boss will be "Lord Fistpumpa." He got his name because of some space marine figure she saw who was holding a power fist above his head while sitting in a tank. The expensive part is that she wants me to go all out with the customization(not that I mind, my wallet does though.) So far she has designed her battle wagon to be a land raider with a large, double barreled turret on top with Earthshakers as the cannons. The important part is that she says that there needs to be a hole in the side of it that has been blown out from the inside, with an scorched up ork hanging out of it and reloading his rokkit launcha. She calls this the "shootin hole."

Maybe get her started on Gorkamorka? I'd argue it would be cheaper than Space Hulk and probably scratch her orky itch better.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

WAR FOOT posted:

I dream of a Mandrake buff, I have thirty of those little fuckers based on the strength of the models alone.

They haven't seen play since 5th, really.

They would be really easy to buff too. Just give them Altered Physique and let them begin with a pain token.

Whatever happens, I hope they become better because they are great models and one of the few units I don't have in my DE army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest
I'm thinking of getting back in with necrons or chaos daemons. Are there any good strategies for either running around now. The idea of summoning dudes either daemons or scarab sounds very fun.

• Locked thread