Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Miltank posted:

society isn't a business or a car or window blinds or your foot. This sort of "common sense" wisdom is useless.

Purposefully inflicting harm on society in an effort to motivate a populist uprising is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
its not about inciting uprising its about not accepting neoliberalism from the democrats.

e: the real 2016 election is likely to be the democratic primary

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Miltank posted:

society isn't a business or a car or window blinds or your foot. This sort of "common sense" wisdom is useless.

It is useless when you talk finance, but not accellerationism. You don't will harm on the society just to teach it a lesson.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Miltank posted:

its not about inciting uprising its about not accepting neoliberalism from the democrats.

e: the real 2016 election is likely to be the democratic primary

Uhm that's not accelerationism. That's voting for the Green Party.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Amergin posted:

I never understand the hatred for accelerationism here. As soon as it's mentioned everyone just flippantly labels it the "teenagers' political choice" and walks away all :smuggo: like they actually posted a clarifying response.

Maybe because accelerationism hurts people who have something to lose? Which is, like, 99.9% of the US population?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

zoux posted:

whats the difference?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I think voting for the Green Party is the definition of inflicting self harm to better a populist movement.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

anonumos posted:

Look at it in the private sector: do you propose needed reforms to avoid harm to your company/employer, or do you actively cause harm to your company then propose reforms?

Oh wait. That's a sound investment strategy. Sorry, my bad.

edit: drat, I'm not being clear. Accelerationism IS immature bullshit. You claim you want what's best for the country, but purposefully drive it into a ditch and cause greater harm. It's insane. I don't run into a telephone pole to fix my car's breaks. I don't break down a wall in my house in order to fix the window blinds. I don't shoot myself in the foot because I have a sprained wrist.

1) I thought you had me ignored?

2) So the government is like a business except when that analogy goes against your beliefs on how the government should be run?

EDIT:

Alter Ego posted:

Maybe because accelerationism hurts people who have something to lose? Which is, like, 99.9% of the US population?

As was mentioned before: If the current policies are still hurting those people, would you rather take short term pain for long term gain or drag everything out?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Looking at SCOTUS chat from another thread, what is keeping Obama from appointing 2 more justices out of the blue? I thought that was a power he had.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Amergin posted:

1) I thought you had me ignored?

2) So the government is like a business except when that analogy goes against your beliefs on how the government should be run?

EDIT:

As was mentioned before: If the current policies are still hurting those people, would you rather take short term pain for long term gain or drag everything out?

It's not short term pain, as you so smugly suggest. As was mentioned before, accelerationism in no way guarantees some sort of grand populist uprising.

FYI, your gimmick works better when you're not being cartoonishly evil.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cheekio posted:

Looking at SCOTUS chat from another thread, what is keeping Obama from appointing 2 more justices out of the blue? I thought that was a power he had.

Wouldn't that lead to the inevitable Republican president putting in three? It seems self defeating.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What makes an accelerationist so sure that their philosophy will be the one to emerge triumphant from the wreckage?

Cheekio posted:

The number of justices is set by Congress.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Cheekio posted:

This says it's limited to 9 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judiciary_Act_of_1869

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

What makes an accelerationist so sure that their philosophy will be the one to emerge triumphant from the wreckage?

Ideological purity.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

haveblue posted:

Just ask the German communists oh, wait.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CoolCab posted:

The liberals in Germany actively chose fascism over any kind of leftism, even the social democrats.

I just hope the teapartiers take pity on my mexican heritage when the end comes.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

haveblue posted:

What makes an accelerationist so sure that their philosophy will be the one to emerge triumphant from the wreckage
it could happen which gives us a better shot than if we keep voting for center-right democrats.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ask Hamas.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

haveblue posted:

Thanks. Just making sure there are no silver bullets that Obama could pull out of thin air to fix things.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Miltank posted:

it could happen which gives us a better shot than if we keep voting for center-right democrats.

If you can't do it when things are nice then how are you going to do it when things are poo poo? Why would it be easier?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Additionally the court packing plan FDR proposed was the Judiciary Act of 1937, he just didn't start submitting justices for approval to the senate.

e:

CoolCab posted:

Its not like they came in a close second or anything! Thanks liberals for literally choosing Hitler.

e2: oh wait they totally would have won if not for Stalin splitting the SPD and KPD. Thanks Stalin for literally choosing Hitler.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 16, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Accretionist posted:

If you can't do it when things are nice then how are you going to do it when things are poo poo? Why would it be easier?

Force democrats or a replacement party to embrace left wing populism by rejecting centrism.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Voting for a policy you hate will somehow strengthen candidates who do agree with you.

Are you assholes insane?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

anonumos posted:

Voting for a policy you hate will somehow strengthen candidates who do agree with you.

Are you assholes insane?

It's essentially the current Tea Party tactic of using extremist populism to draw your party away from the center.

Only instead of replacing McCain with Cruz, we'd replace Clinton with Warren. I don't think to be accelerationist you necessarily have to vote for the most fringe Tea Party Republicans, but at the very least you vote for far-left candidates in primaries and if those candidates fail, you DON'T vote in the general election (or vote for the milquetoast Republican candidate).

The problem is liberals have no balls (exhibit A: this thread) and want to be as pragmatic as possible to save people pain, even if it means effectively electing female Romney.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 16, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It should be punishable for people to try and silence you Amerigin.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Amergin posted:

It's essentially the current Tea Party tactic of using extremist populism to draw your party away from the center.

Only instead of replacing McCain with Cruz, we'd replace Clinton with Warren. I don't think to be accelerationist you necessarily have to vote for the most fringe Tea Party Republicans, but at the very least you vote for far-left candidates in primaries and if those candidates fail, you DON'T vote in the general election.

The problem is liberals have no balls (exhibit A: this thread) and want to be as pragmatic as possible to save people pain, even if it means effectively electing female Romney.

Tea Partiers aren't using a strategy of voting for leftist candidates in order to push Cruz into power. They are...dun dun dun...voting for the candidate they want, namely Cruz himself.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
No, see, Hillary of House Clinton will totally be able to tell the difference between the people who wholeheartedly support her in her milquetoast centrist horseshit and those who just held their noses and pulled the lever, because SCOTUS or something.

A vote for Clinton is a vote for policies THAT WE ALL HATE. It is functionally identical to voting for a Republican with the one caveat that supreme court nominees actually do matter. Whether or not SCOTUS nominees are worth your explicit endorsement of policies that are contributing to the downward spiral this country's in to almost the exact same extent as Republican policy is a personal value judgment I guess.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 16, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Amergin posted:

Only instead of replacing McCain with Cruz, we'd replace Clinton with Warren. I don't think to be accelerationist you necessarily have to vote for the most fringe Tea Party Republicans, but at the very least you vote for far-left candidates in primaries and if those candidates fail, you DON'T vote in the general election (or vote for the milquetoast Republican candidate).

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a cat rubbing dingleberries off on your carpet forever, the dingleberries are "SCOTUS PICKS" and the carpet is "america's face"

The cat is the DLC

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

So is this one of your actual opinions or is this just more of you testing your get out of trouble for shitposting free pass.

Seriously though why is this still going on, it hasn't been funny for months.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

anonumos posted:

Tea Partiers aren't using a strategy of voting for leftist candidates in order to push Cruz into power. They are...dun dun dun...voting for the candidate they want, namely Cruz himself.

Did anyone suggest voting for rightists as the path to pushing the Democrats left? No, people suggested voting for actual leftists leftists (even if they won't win), which is basically what the Tea Party has been doing.

zoux posted:

Except according to this thread, anyone voting for someone not-Hillary is practicing accelerationism, because any attempts to make things stop getting worse will just make things get worse faster so we shouldn't try at all apparently.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Cheekio posted:

So is this one of your actual opinions or is this just more of you testing your get out of trouble for shitposting free pass.

Seriously though why is this still going on, it hasn't been funny for months.

You have a terrible sense of humor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Making things get worse faster is like the definition of accelerationism.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

GlyphGryph posted:

Did anyone suggest voting for rightists as the path to pushing the Democrats left? No, people suggested voting for actual leftists leftists (even if they won't win), which is basically what the Tea Party has been doing.

Except according to this thread, anyone voting for someone not-Hillary is practicing accelerationism, because any attempts to make things stop getting worse will just make things get worse faster so we shouldn't try at all apparently.

A lot of people are suggesting that we don't vote at all if there are no leftist candidates, leaving political power in the hands of those we disagree with completely. You don't win at tug-of-war if you don't pull.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

anonumos posted:

A lot of people are suggesting that we don't vote at all if there are no leftist candidates, leaving political power in the hands of those we disagree with completely. You don't win at tug-of-war if you don't pull.

Can we get a constitutional amendment banning analogies being used in politics because this poo poo is ridiculous.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Miltank posted:

Force democrats or a replacement party to embrace left wing populism by rejecting centrism.

Why would things getting worse obligate them to make things better? Society can always go backwards.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Can we get a constitutional amendment banning analogies being used in politics because this poo poo is ridiculous.

Well fine. Leftists, stay home. Don't participate. Don't choose. Let the other guys choose for you. Surely that will bring about a glorious parade of leftist candidates.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
*about to get domed by obese evangelical fascists and fall into a burning ditch*

"Ahahaha, it begins! Won't liberals' faces be red."

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

SedanChair posted:

*about to get domed by obese evangelical fascists and fall into a burning ditch*

"Ahahaha, it begins! Won't liberals' faces be red."

If you want to picture the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face which is saying "sure showed them!" - forever.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

anonumos posted:

Well fine. Leftists, stay home. Don't participate. Don't choose. Let the other guys choose for you. Surely that will bring about a glorious parade of leftist candidates.

Well that's not what I meant in the slightest, just that government and politics is too complex and that any analogy quickly falls apart because of that and is why argument by analogy doesn't work well here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

anonumos posted:

Well what do you suggest as the alternative? Die slower, but be happy because we get a few cheap symbolic victories?

Obviously not voting for them is worthless unless it communicates the fact that they need to change, but if a whole bunch of people vote for, say, some left wing independent instead of Hillary, do you really think that's accelerationism? Is it "just letting the other guys win"?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 16, 2014