Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Chairman Capone posted:

I always thought it was really funny/stupid that the collected forces of the Daleks/Cybermen/everyone else didn't want the Time Lords to return since it would cause the Time War to begin again, and so sent all of their military forces endlessly against Trenzalore, only for them to be defeated endlessly solely by the Doctor for a thousand years. If they're that incompetent you'd think he'd be all for bringing back the Time Lords since it seems like The Most Evil Villains in the Universe basically amount to "a sight nuisance."

That's been a major problem for the show for awhile now. I mean, how the gently caress did the Time Lords loose the war if every time one of them dies they can wipe out a city sized spaceship?

Why did they lock the Doctor up rather than just loving killing him, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He regenerates when he dies, if they don't know the rules of regeneration they can't guarantee he'd stay dead. Can a time lord regenerate from being vaporised by an atomic blast? gently caress, I don't know! Is that a risk worth taking with the universe at stake?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

2house2fly posted:

He regenerates when he dies, if they don't know the rules of regeneration they can't guarantee he'd stay dead. Can a time lord regenerate from being vaporised by an atomic blast? gently caress, I don't know! Is that a risk worth taking with the universe at stake?

No. He can't. He can die, he regenerates to cheat death. If you outright kill him he won't regenerate.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I always thought that the soldiers they sent out to the war were just normal galifreyians whilst the time lords were plotting their next moves, hence the war being so costly on lives

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I always thought it was really funny/stupid that the collected forces of the Daleks/Cybermen/everyone else didn't want the Time Lords to return since it would cause the Time War to begin again, and so sent all of their military forces endlessly against Trenzalore, only for them to be defeated endlessly solely by the Doctor for a thousand years. If they're that incompetent you'd think he'd be all for bringing back the Time Lords since it seems like The Most Evil Villains in the Universe basically amount to "a sight nuisance."

But the doctor is super special isn't he. Special special doctor.

On the other hand it sort of made sense. The doctor being the doctor kept it contained to one planet over a straight continuous time of 1000 years. Rather than it being an army of time lords against a pre-time-lock army of daleks over all of space and time.

All doctor who continuity is bollocks, it can be there to add background when needed, and completely ignored when not.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

God, the normal thread is going to poo poo a brick with the final line of next episode.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Well what is it?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
'Thanks so much for leaving me on an Earth full of dinosaurs and not so much as a working calculator, Doctor.'

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

quote:

THE DOCTOR grins. Slams the controls - little bit triumphant. Maybe even competitive.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D)
Robbing a bank! Robbing a whole bank! Beat that for a date!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I had somehow forgotten about that.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

God, the normal thread is going to poo poo a brick with the final line of next episode.

This is the worst I have seen the normal thread. I'm surprised it hasn't been gassed.

Anyway, next week's is probably Thompson's best script for Who. Not mind-blowingly awesome, but a solid fun romp. Also, don't really see anything wrong with that last line.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

HD DAD posted:

This is the worst I have seen the normal thread. I'm surprised it hasn't been gassed.

Anyway, next week's is probably Thompson's best script for Who. Not mind-blowingly awesome, but a solid fun romp. Also, don't really see anything wrong with that last line.

It's because nobody wants a doctor romance subplot.
Maybe they'll change that, it conflicts with "I am not your boyfriend"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

HD DAD posted:

Eh, I've seen worse. :v:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rita Repulsa posted:

It's because nobody wants a doctor romance subplot.
Maybe they'll change that, it conflicts with "I am not your boyfriend"

I can see how it could be taken that way, but I took it more as "dates are boring, come rob a bank with me, isn't this awesome?".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HD DAD posted:

I can see how it could be taken that way, but I took it more as "dates are boring, come rob a bank with me, isn't this awesome?".

Couldn't he be stealing her from Danny fir the adventure and that's what the line refers to?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mokinokaro posted:

Couldn't he be stealing her from Danny fir the adventure and that's what the line refers to?

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Didn't really get any romantic subtext from it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HD DAD posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Didn't really get any romantic subtext from it.

Agreed, the line is fine, I didn't read any romance into it. Just competitiveness, and commenting on how awesome he and his adventures are.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

HD DAD posted:

"Can't beat that for a date" means it's an exceptional date. You'd want something like "That beats a date" to make it better but distinct from a date.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Doesn't Pink have plot-immunity Fixed Point status since his great-grandson is Earth's first time-traveler?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

moths posted:

Doesn't Pink have plot-immunity Fixed Point status since his great-grandson is Earth's first time-traveler?

No, but his sperm/Clara's womb does; so I guess we know that's safe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh right we see him partly converted don't we?

loving Hell if they some how reverse that...

EDIT: I mean in the set photos from the finale.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

They did it with Craig due to the magic of his baby crying. Maybe Clara will start crying and tell him she's pregnant and then he will be able to break out of the Cyberman parts, shrugging them off and tearing them away dramatically until only the wrist gun remains and he saves them all.

"Did I ever tell you I'm happy your dating a solider?"

"I'm not just dating a soldier, I'm marrying him!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've mentioned how much I loving loath Closing Time, yeah?

Because I do.

All of the hate.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The build up to Closing Time's ending is decent, but The Lodger is the superior episode with Craig by far.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Burkion posted:

It could be a dream or it could be some sort of alternate reality. For all we know its them traveling into the world with Missy and something happens there so he ends up fine.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

They did it with Craig due to the magic of his baby crying. Maybe Clara will start crying and tell him she's pregnant and then he will be able to break out of the Cyberman parts, shrugging them off and tearing them away dramatically until only the wrist gun remains and he saves them all.
Danny will die but Clara will already be pregnant with his child and she'll leave the Doctor to take care of it.

"Listen" had some good moments but they didn't add up to a good episode. And the part with Clara telling the child Doctor it's okay to be afraid was sort of ruined by the fact that the whole episode happened because the adult Doctor was apparently not willing to admit he was afraid.

Anyway, most people seemed to think the next episode was the best of the scripts, though after that we won't have any more future knowledge! Where are you, Marcello?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Action Jacktion posted:

Danny will die but Clara will already be pregnant with his child and she'll leave the Doctor to take care of it.

Orson said his great grand parents told him time-travel stories, so (unless someone else is introduced) Dan gets let into the loop and survives to have three generations of children.

Or it'll be a writing fuckup. Whoops!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

moths posted:

Orson said his great grand parents told him time-travel stories, so (unless someone else is introduced) Dan gets let into the loop and survives to have three generations of children.

Or it'll be a writing fuckup. Whoops!

The Doctor and River raise the kid together? Sounds like good writing to me!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Or Jenny, Vastra, and Strax I guess. Really no bad option is off the table.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Danny's cyberman outfit is a full suit with a half transparent mask from what ive read so I'm leaning more towards dream sequence personally. That just doesn't seem like something they'd do.

Also it's in a graveyard full of tombstones of people the Doctor knew. Amy and Rory's is there but so is Thomas Thomas which wouldn't make sense for a New York cemetery.

Of course it could just be prop recycling.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 17, 2014

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Can't beat that for a date" means it's an exceptional date. You'd want something like "That beats a date" to make it better but distinct from a date.

You're the worst.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

You're the worst.

Given I've only ever seen you post drive-by "you/those people are idiots" you must really know this stuff so that means a lot, thanks!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Bunch of cool stuff in the latest DWM.
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/tantalising-details-on-series-8-episodes-5-8-66791.htm

The Caretaker posted:

Similarities to The Lodger with the Doctor trying to blend in, but he is far ruder and has no patience.

Writers Gareth Roberts and Moffat also mimicked The Lodger in terms of threat level, feeling Closing Time had too much of it.

First major appearance of recurring character Coal Hill pupil Courtney. The Doctor sees a kindred spirit in her in that she has no social niceties.

The Doctor is very rude to Danny, especially when he learns of his past as a soldier. Roberts wondered if they were going too far with it, but they kept it in anyway.

Kill The Moon posted:

An early script title was “Return to Sarn” but it was all a big Moffat trick. The final title isn’t a play on a Romeo & Juliet line, just something attention grabbing.

Courtney comes on this adventure because she begs the Doctor for a trip in the TARDIS.

Human astronauts led by Hermione Norris are trying to nuke the moon. The moon has become heavier and is washing away Earth under huge tidal waves.

Moffat briefed writer Peter Harness to “Hinchcliffe the s*** out of it for the first half” in terms of scares.

Originally written for Smith’s Doctor, but Capaldi works better because of his more alien Doctor.

There’s a life changing dilemma that Clara has to face.

Mummy on the Orient Express posted:

This Orient Express is a futuristic space train.

Frank Skinner is playing Perkins, the train’s chief engineer.

The title suggests a silly romp, but it is not that at all. It’s actually very dark with a lot of deaths.

It’s claustrophobic horror.

The Mummy was deemed too scary by the BBC and will require a later time slot.

The Mummy kills its victims by walking towards them and they only have 66 seconds to live.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
So Kill the Moon really is a literal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csj7vMKy4EI ?

Mummy sounds promising (apart from the "66 seconds" thing; not looking forward to the torturous, convoluted last-minute explanation for that one), but the camp title doesn't do it any favors. I realize they probably do want to evoke classic serials like "Pyramids of Mars" or "Talons of Weng-Chiang" but that's a bit too far.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Caretaker I worry about because gently caress the Doctor having issues with Soldiers.

Kill the Moon has good and worrying elements.

Mummy just sounds like fun. Please don't stab me in the back

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Just finished watching Silver Nemesis for the first time. Has anyone throw out the theory that Missy the result of the combined Nemesis-Lady Peinforte?

Seems like it might be a good time to bring it back, as you could possibly play into the next "25 year" cycle. Nemesis ties into the Doctor's backstory somehow, and Lady Peinforte boasted about knowing his true nature. Obviously that tied into the Cartmel masterplan stuff, but maybe Moffat is planning to return to that hanging plot thread with his own angle.

Possibly tied into this was the Cybermen being involved with her somehow which we know from the finale filming. Last we saw of her/it she was going around destroying their ships, maybe they finally took control of her like they wanted to?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I will accurately predict what Missy is by throwing literally every theory I can think of against the wall.

Theory 1: It's The Master, regenerated as a woman. I mean, "Missy".
Theory 2: Missy is just a regular person the Doctor meets. He changes her life for the better, and she becomes obsessed with him. The Doctor hasn't yet met her, but will in the course of this series.
Theory 2b: Missy is Courtney from the upcoming episodes The Caretaker and Kill the Moon.
Theory 3: Missy is a Clara.
Theory 4: Missy is a hologram.
Theory 5: Missy is the Rani.
Theory 6: Missy is Romana.
Theory 7: Missy is Rassilon.
Theory 8: Missy is a Cyberman?
Theory 9: Missy is, somehow, River Song
Theory 10: Missy is the 13th Doctor
Theory 11: Missy is literally Mary Poppins
theory 12: Missy is a Zygon
Theory 13: Missy is a TARDIS
Theory 14: Missy is a Rutan
Theory 15: Missy is the Valeyard
Theory 16: Missy is the Doctor's number one fan on Tumblr
Theory 17: Missy is a timey wimey ball of wibbly-wobbly stuff.
Theory 18: Missy is the demon from The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit
Theory 19: Missy is some random monster from a Big Finish audio
Theory 20: Missy is a werewolf
Theory 21: Missy is Rose
Theory 22: Missy is just, you know, this woman who has a pretty cool job running the Digital Afterlife, and has gotten too obsessed with watching the Doctor's exploits for her own good.
Theory 23: Missy is one of the Doctor's old girlfriends from Gallifrey
Theory 24: Missy is Clara's daughter
Theory 25: Missy is Jenny
Theory 26: Missy is a childhood friend of Clara's we've never met before that will just suddenly appear in an episode as if she'd always been there, and what are you talking about, of course she's always been there.
Theory 27: Missy is a sex-changed Captain Jack
Theory 28: Missy is Missy
Theory 29: Missy is the Nightmare Child
Theory 30: Missy is the Apex Hider
Theory 31: Missy is a very sophisticated Clockwork Robot
Theory 32: Missy is somebody Eleven met offscreen
Theory 33: Missy is a Tesselecta, as if that explains anything at all
Theory 34: Missy is a children's storybook monster
Theory 35: Missy is a ghost
Theory 36: Missy is not literally Mary Poppins, but the inspiration for her
Theory 37: Missy is a cleverly disguised Weeping Angel
Theory 38: Missy is a vampire
Theory 39: Missy is whatever you want her to be.
Theory 40: Missy is Madame Kovarian's sister, out for REVENGE
Theory 41: Missy is Madame Kovarian
Theory 42: Missy is God

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Spatula City posted:

I will accurately predict what Missy is by throwing literally every theory I can think of against the wall.

Theory 2: Missy is just a regular person the Doctor meets. He changes her life for the better, and she becomes obsessed with him. The Doctor hasn't yet met her, but will in the course of this series.
Theory 2b: Missy is Courtney from the upcoming episodes The Caretaker and Kill the Moon.
Theory 22: Missy is just, you know, this woman who has a pretty cool job running the Digital Afterlife, and has gotten too obsessed with watching the Doctor's exploits for her own good.
Theory 26: Missy is a childhood friend of Clara's we've never met before that will just suddenly appear in an episode as if she'd always been there, and what are you talking about, of course she's always been there.

I am earnestly impressed. I've never seen a single person endeavor to be all of the infinite monkeys at once.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Spatula City posted:

Theory 43: Missy is Susan. And they either A)Ignore all the creepy implications or B)Run with all the creepy implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Teek posted:

Seems like it might be a good time to bring it back

Silver Nemesis is really really terrible, there was never a good time to bring it in in the first place.

• Locked thread