Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Robot Mil posted:

Does anyone have tips for getting a greedy cat to eat slower?

One of our three wolfs down his food and then stalks the other two while they eat theirs, we have to basically observe the whole feeding process to make sure he doesn't steal their food.

Put a golf ball in the food dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
So our cat is a biter. Like, she'll nip at both me and and my girlfriend, but she'll at least cuddle with me, while she'll go hard on my girlfriend's arms and legs.

I'm really not sure what to do. We've tried all the standard google, Jackson Galaxy solutions. Our only real recourse right now is giving her time outs (30min-1hr usually) in the hopes that she calms down.

Any suggestions? We live in a New York apt so getting another cat isn't really in the cards.

Also, she is a calico which apparently translates to crazy. We weren't told this at the shelter, but from multiple vets, apparently this is a thing. >:< I'm also pretty sure she was taken away from her mom too early, and whoever owned her before we got her didn't train her not to attack hands and feet.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Alteisen posted:

Truth be told I didn't wanna do it, but I saw him being born, was there when he opened his eyes, I was the first person he saw and heard, its only fitting I be there for the end.

I gave him a good life, I did my best, I have no regrets, I'm just sad.

He always was surly when people where around, but when it was just me and him he was another cat entirely, loved belly rubs.

The whole family is finally together. :unsmith:

Orange and white cats are the best cats, this is scientifically proven.

Sorry for the loss of your companion.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

bettsta posted:

If we do catch it there's no way we'd release it back out there. The representative from the animal shelter told me to call back if we managed to capture the kitten, and if it turns out they can't accept the kitten then it's on to the ASPCA and local rescue organizations. Should I contact the ASPCA and rescues before making another attempt to confirm that they'd take it in before trying to capture it? If none of those pan out then it's a matter of finding it a home ourselves. I'm a little hesitant to keep it with us because we have two 5 month old kittens in an open loft with no doors except for the bathrooms, so keeping them apart to ease them through socialization would be a pain. However, if it comes down to sleepless nights and an empty bank account vs. putting it back on the streets, we'll of course figure out a way to care for it. I can't get its tiny little mews out of my head.

If you keep putting food out for the cat at the same time every day, making the same noise to call it, and hang around while it eats, it's possible it will warm up to you just after a few days of doing that. Try to get a little closer to the cat each time you feed it. I have had a couple of scared ferals who I managed to catch using this method. The cat already seems slightly OK around you (i.e. you can see it) so this method may work.

If the kitten is very recalcitrant (or you want to speed up the process) see if you can get your hands on a humane trap. Local rescues that do TNR may be able to lend you one (Alley Cat Allies has resources) or you can purchase a Havahart-style trap yourself.

Check around with local organizations to see if they have a spot. Often they will ask you to do the socialization and fostering yourself if they don't have open spots. Let them know you're willing to do it if you are and most will try to help you out! Usually local rescues/ASPCA can hook you up with cheap deworming/vaccination/fixing/FeLV-FIV tests.

(P.S. "I think the cat may be pregnant" is the magic phrase that will push rescues to move heaven and earth to get the cat trapped and fixed to avoid babies. Even if the cat *isn't* pregnant at least it's not like they're going to dump it without providing medical treatment)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

cov-hog posted:

Put the food in a muffin tin or some other kind of bumpy bowl. It'll take him longer to pick kibbles out of the cups.

I did this with Oscar for a bit and it worked wonders.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

bettsta posted:

Need some advice with a feral kitten.

I was outside of my apartment building with my fiance when we heard and saw a black kitten mewing. It was hiding in this tiny gravel lot that houses busses but I was able to coax it out toward us with some meowing. We tried to capture it and put it in a carrier, but after an hour and three attempts it outran us every time.

It looks to be about five or six weeks old (but I am far from a cat expert and it was dark). The poor thing kept meowing at me like it wanted attention but ran as soon as we got near it. We figured it was a futile attempt for the night and left a bowl with some cat food near where it came out of the fence, and this morning the bowl was empty. I called our local animal shelter and the person I spoke to said it was probably a feral kitten who possibly had a feral cat family, and to just let it alone unless it showed signs of being more comfortable around people. If it seems like it might be people friendly, they'd be able to adopt it out. If, on the other hand, we discover more cats around the area and it turns out to be a feral cat colony, the best they can do is a trap-neuter-release thing.

I know very little about feral cats. The private lot it's been hiding in is about 300 by 30 feet and fenced off. It's possible that there were other cats hiding in there, but the same one came out each time last night and I feel like it's more likely he's by himself. It's right next to a busy road and I'm worried that if it's not brought inside then it's just a matter of time before it gets squished by a car or by the busses it's hiding under.

The plan for now is to go back outside and hang out by the fence tonight, with the carrier nearby and the food bowl inside of the carrier. If it goes into the carrier and we're able to trap it, we'd keep it in the carrier in our upstairs bathroom and quarantined so that it doesn't spook or infect our current cats. Is this a futile attempt? Would we be doing more harm than good?

It's not feral, it'll be an abandoned domestic or the offspring of one. An actual feral cat will never make a sound, will not cross open ground and certainly won't come toward a person. Most likely someone moved away leaving an entire queen or threw a pregnant queen out and she's raising her litter as best she can. Kittens that age do not survive for long without a mother so it's unlikely he was tossed out on his own however from what you describe it could have been. Domestics that are dumped tend to be almost shellshocked, they will come toward a person then remember whatever horror has happened to them and run away.

Your best bet is to trap it yes and put food down at the edge of a visible area in order to coax out any others that may be there (if it's a mother and kittens). Ring your local rescues and ask to borrow a trap, they will often come straight round, explain how it works, give you advise and some will help you trap it. If you can, get the rescue to agree to at least vet it so that once you catch it, it can go straight for a consultation.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Thanks for all the tips for slowing down our greedy cat! We're now feeding him in the kitchen separately from the other two, but I like the idea of putting a golf ball in the dish or finding some other bumpy one, for entertainment value if nothing else.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Robot Mil posted:

Thanks for all the tips for slowing down our greedy cat! We're now feeding him in the kitchen separately from the other two, but I like the idea of putting a golf ball in the dish or finding some other bumpy one, for entertainment value if nothing else.

If it's entertainment you're after, a treat ball like this will work for slowing him down, getting him a little exercise, and being pretty fun to watch.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
:( wrong thread

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 16, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
After combining households, we now have 2 meal-eaters and 2 grazers. The grazers have to eat prescription food, and so we really want to convert them to meal eaters so that the meal eaters won't wolf down the grazers' prescription food.

Does anyone have a good guide for converting to meal eating? Jackson Galaxy has a video stressing its importance, but doesn't offer any tips on how to do it. Dick.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
In a similar situation, we convinced Ozma to eat her whole meal by locking her in the bedroom until it was gone. If she wandered away from the food, we'd coax her back and encourage her to eat. If she cried at the door, we pushed the bowl to her. When the last kibble was gone, we let her out. Took her a couple months but now she knows that she can't go out til she's done eating and finishes usually in about 15 minutes.

e: if she took too long to finish, we'd take the leftovers and put them away, then let her out. she eventually realized that the duration of us getting ready in the morning is all she gets for breakfast and if she doesn't finish she goes without til dinner.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's not a bad idea.

On a related note, we're couch-shopping. I brought a fabric swatch home and the cat demonstrated her approval.

Sigh... back to the drawing board.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
A friend of a friend doesn't want his cat (2 year old male) anymore. I'm going to go see it with my girlfriend tomorrow to see how the cat is since he's planning on returning it to the breeder he got the cat from if no one takes it. The cat is a straight scottish fold with super long hair.

That being said, we live in a single bedroom apartment. My current cat (female, 5 years old) takes charge of every room but really loves to sleep in the bedroom with us. Where would a good place be to slowly introduce the cat? Restroom? Bedroom?

Should I preemptively get some Feliway to help calm the new cat down? My current cat didn't seem to respond well to it when we moved into the 1BR but I still have the collar I used for her when we moved in. Any other recommendations?

Edit:

Pictures of the new cat:

More recent video:

http://instagram.com/p/nV1EihPirW/

This is my current cat:

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 16, 2014

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Huntersoninski posted:

In a similar situation, we convinced Ozma to eat her whole meal by locking her in the bedroom until it was gone. If she wandered away from the food, we'd coax her back and encourage her to eat. If she cried at the door, we pushed the bowl to her. When the last kibble was gone, we let her out. Took her a couple months but now she knows that she can't go out til she's done eating and finishes usually in about 15 minutes.

e: if she took too long to finish, we'd take the leftovers and put them away, then let her out. she eventually realized that the duration of us getting ready in the morning is all she gets for breakfast and if she doesn't finish she goes without til dinner.

This is helpful, thanks. My cats get measured amounts of dry food twice a day and wet food once a day, but they don't always eat all of it at once and then it's kind of a free-for-all on the bowls. I've been trying to think of a way to get them to just eat it when we give it to them, so this is nice to know.

Shadowhand00 posted:

A friend of a friend doesn't want his cat anymore. I'm going to go see it with my girlfriend tomorrow to see how the cat is since he's planning on returning it to the breeder he got the cat from if no one takes it. The cat is a straight scottish fold with super long hair.

That being said, we live in a single bedroom apartment. My current cat takes charge of every room but really loves to sleep in the bedroom with us. Where would a good place be to slowly introduce the cat? Restroom? Bedroom?

Should I preemptively get some Feliway to help calm the new cat down? My current cat didn't seem to respond well to it when we moved into the 1BR but I still have the collar I used for her when we moved in. Any other recommendations?

When we found our two kittens, we kept them in the master bathroom (which is an ok size) for a while for introduction purposes and because they ended up having ringworm. It was a bit of a pain because we had to work around a huge cardboard box barrier we set up every time we needed to get dressed or brush our teeth, but it ended up working out ok.

Feliway is pretty awesome and I'd still be using it if the refills weren't as costly as they are.

Edit: Oh my goodness he looks so angry. :kimchi:

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
Does anyone know how to keep a cat from waking you up at night or keeping you up? Or is it just something that will fade as he ages? Freddie is six months old and we adopted him Friday. He is finally getting use to the house thankfully and this is helping although he is a very friendly cat. Most nights he will come in at around three or four in the morning and jump on my bed. He will then purr nonstop as he rubs against any part of me he can find, or else jumping on my head, back, legs/etc until it wakes me up. Also if I get up at night for any reason he will get up with me.

I cant shut the door as he can crawl underneath it. I'm trying to ignore him when he does this although it is hard when he is trying to walk on my head. I've had cats before but they have been standoffish and I've never had this issue.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pendergast posted:

I cant shut the door as he can crawl underneath it.

Replace your saloon doors with a real door. How is it going under the door? can you fold a bath towel in half and stuff it under the door?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pendergast posted:

Does anyone know how to keep a cat from waking you up at night or keeping you up? Or is it just something that will fade as he ages? Freddie is six months old and we adopted him Friday. He is finally getting use to the house thankfully and this is helping although he is a very friendly cat. Most nights he will come in at around three or four in the morning and jump on my bed. He will then purr nonstop as he rubs against any part of me he can find, or else jumping on my head, back, legs/etc until it wakes me up. Also if I get up at night for any reason he will get up with me.

I cant shut the door as he can crawl underneath it. I'm trying to ignore him when he does this although it is hard when he is trying to walk on my head. I've had cats before but they have been standoffish and I've never had this issue.

Are you in the habit of feeding him as soon as you wake up?

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
Our doors are poo poo mobile home doors and have a couple of inches of space between it and the floor and he just squeezes himself on through. He'll just push the towel out of the way, or else the other cats will. I had a fairy heavy container blocking the gap and he just pushed on through. My other two cats cant fit underneath anymore so I'm hoping he will soon outgrow it.

CommonShore posted:

Are you in the habit of feeding him as soon as you wake up?

Yes, I do. I use to have free range food but one of the cats was getting to fat so now I just feed them all in the morning and in the evening.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pendergast posted:

Yes, I do. I use to have free range food but one of the cats was getting to fat so now I just feed them all in the morning and in the evening.
Get an auto-feeder.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pendergast posted:

Our doors are poo poo mobile home doors and have a couple of inches of space between it and the floor and he just squeezes himself on through. He'll just push the towel out of the way, or else the other cats will. I had a fairy heavy container blocking the gap and he just pushed on through. My other two cats cant fit underneath anymore so I'm hoping he will soon outgrow it.

The only solution I have to this is behavioral training. Completely ignore them when you're in bed - no yells, no pets, nothing. They will drive you nuts for a while but will gradually learn that pestering you in bed is pointless and will knock it off.

Hence, it's important to lay absolutely still no matter how much it's bugging you. Any attention of any kind is positive reinforcement of their behavior.

That's not an easy or quick solution, but the only one I've found to be effective.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pendergast posted:

The advice about trying to ignore them in bed is ok, but if you don't want to do that (since I kinda like when the cats visit me in bed) you can try to just delay the morning feeding a bit. I get up, shower, and start making my coffee before I feed the cat. It only took a week of that for her to stop trying to wake me up to get food. Now she starts the whole FEED ME routine as I get out of the shower, which I can deal with.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
So, my cat is a 3 year old male tabby. He's started behaving in a really frustrating and annoying manner at night and I don't know what I can do to change his behavior. I live in a one bedroom apartment, and in the living room area I have a couple large picture frames hanging on the wall above the couches. The pictures are well within reach of my cat when he stands on the back of the couches.

The problem is, when I get in bed at night eventually he goes to the other room and starts pawing at the picture frames (causing them to slide back and forth from the nail) and meowing at them. I'm worried about wall damage and damaging the pictures as well. I've tried everything I could think of. I went weeks without reacting to see if not responding would get him to lose interest, but that didn't work at all. I can't move the furniture around to get him away from the pictures, it just isn't feasible in my apartment setup. I've recently taken measures to secure them so that they won't be able to slide but he still goes and tries to mess with them every night. I guess I could move his food/water/litter box into the bedroom to keep him from getting at them, but that isn't a great solution in my mind.

Do y'all have any ideas on how to stop this behavior? I'm at wit's end.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Stick double sided tape on the top of the couch where he'd sit and on the picture frames for a few months.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Covering them in foil for awhile also works. Looks like rear end, but just until he loses interest.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

Shadowhand00 posted:

A friend of a friend doesn't want his cat (2 year old male) anymore. I'm going to go see it with my girlfriend tomorrow to see how the cat is since he's planning on returning it to the breeder he got the cat from if no one takes it. The cat is a straight scottish fold with super long hair.

That being said, we live in a single bedroom apartment. My current cat (female, 5 years old) takes charge of every room but really loves to sleep in the bedroom with us. Where would a good place be to slowly introduce the cat? Restroom? Bedroom?

Edit:

Pictures of the new cat:

More recent video:

http://instagram.com/p/nV1EihPirW/

This is my current cat:

Do you have a shower with a glass door? Put one in the shower (not always handy) bedding litter box and food etc or feed on each side of the door. I wanted another kitten (i thought my 12 week kitten would love a friend. So i used the shower to introduce them as i live in a one room place, sadly it didn't work out. My current one doesn't like other cats :( . Or look into cat tents a shelter might have one to lend you. Everything i have read on introduction cats said small rooms are ok. I think it has to do with cats living in small cages at shelters or breeders.

As its your friends cat consider swapping each cats bedding before you bring the new cat home. This way the cats will already know each others smell.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Hmm ok I'll give that a try. Thanks!

bettsta
Jul 21, 2008

ATP5G1 posted:

If you keep putting food out for the cat at the same time every day, making the same noise to call it, and hang around while it eats, it's possible it will warm up to you just after a few days of doing that. Try to get a little closer to the cat each time you feed it. I have had a couple of scared ferals who I managed to catch using this method. The cat already seems slightly OK around you (i.e. you can see it) so this method may work.

If the kitten is very recalcitrant (or you want to speed up the process) see if you can get your hands on a humane trap. Local rescues that do TNR may be able to lend you one (Alley Cat Allies has resources) or you can purchase a Havahart-style trap yourself.

Check around with local organizations to see if they have a spot. Often they will ask you to do the socialization and fostering yourself if they don't have open spots. Let them know you're willing to do it if you are and most will try to help you out! Usually local rescues/ASPCA can hook you up with cheap deworming/vaccination/fixing/FeLV-FIV tests.

(P.S. "I think the cat may be pregnant" is the magic phrase that will push rescues to move heaven and earth to get the cat trapped and fixed to avoid babies. Even if the cat *isn't* pregnant at least it's not like they're going to dump it without providing medical treatment)

Thanks for your advice! The past few nights it seems to be more wary of my presence (it looks over at me and immediately high tails it back through the fence) so I borrowed a humane trap from a local feral cats organization.

I've called around and while the animal shelter would take a tame kitten, a feral kitten would be deemed "unadoptable" and euthanized. Naturally, the no-kill shelters are pretty crowded, although I've been emailing back and forth with one who sounds like they'll try to find somebody asap.

I have no problem with trying to socialize the kitten myself to the point that the shelter would consider it adoptable, but since we have cats of our own who have a very tooth-and-claw demand to be let into any room with a closed door I'm worried that it would be inevitable that they'd breach quarantine. I want to help this stray but I also don't want to somehow infect my current cats with whatever the little dude might have.

So, as it stands, I think I'll wait until tomorrow night to attempt to capture the kitten so as to minimize the amount of time it stays with me. Hopefully I hear back tomorrow about someone who's got room and things can go from there.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Here's the new guy, Tigger. I want to call him Wicket.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Pendergast posted:

Does anyone know how to keep a cat from waking you up at night or keeping you up? Or is it just something that will fade as he ages? Freddie is six months old and we adopted him Friday.
Mouse did this when we got her in early August. We solved it by keeping her busy in the evening so she'd be tired and that seemed to take a couple of weeks. She sleeps with us most of the night until a couple of hours before I wake up to feed her. Even then she just occasionally hops on the bed to see if we're up then goes back downstairs.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I don't feed my cats until I am out of the shower. Now they don't bother me until the alarm goes off since they know they get pets when it does.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My wife and I are considering adopting another cat, but we were wondering how we would deal with the food situation. Our current cat is allergic to everything and needs expensive prescription food. If we were to get another cat we would want to minimize the cost of pet food and try to keep their dishes separate, how difficult would this be? I know that it depends on the cat's personalities, but I was wondering if this is even feasible.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I feed Jess and oscar in slightly different places and they don't go for each other's food (not that it would matter because they eat the same stuff), so I guess if each cat associates a different place with food they'll be less likely to go off and look for food elsewhere.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do meal feeding rather than free feeding. You SHOULD be able to train them to each eat out of their specific bowl, but if they're truly hopeless you can just put them in separate rooms during meal time. If you don't have enough time to separate your cats for meals for 15 minutes a day, you don't have enough time for two cats.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Ruby is almost 3 months old and is still as aloof as ever. Sometimes she'll be laying down in an open area of the kitchen fully aware I'm there and bolt into the bedroom when I lean down to pet her and then not ten minutes later, she'll be trying to get my attention when I'm either watching TV or playing video games. I read that just them being out in the open and letting themselves be seen by you is a good sign, but hopefully she gets more comfortable around me as she gets older.

I've been trying to play with her on the floor with her toys. At first she'll keep her distance, but will eventually come out and pounce on her toy and get rewarded with a treat. Sometimes she'll stay in the bedroom with the fiancee all night and not come out at all.

She still likes lightly nipping at the fiancee's fingers and toes in a playful way on occasion, but doesn't do this with me. Maybe because she's scared or that I give her treats. I prefer to think it's the latter. :keke:

Cats are weirdos is what I'm getting at here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

My wife and I are considering adopting another cat, but we were wondering how we would deal with the food situation. Our current cat is allergic to everything and needs expensive prescription food. If we were to get another cat we would want to minimize the cost of pet food and try to keep their dishes separate, how difficult would this be? I know that it depends on the cat's personalities, but I was wondering if this is even feasible.

I feed my cats twice a day and just sit there in between them. The one that finishes first will invariably go for the other's food, so I just have to play cat pong until the other finishes.

CAT LITTER QUESTION
I've been using silica crystals so far, it's mostly okay but stepping on a loose piece on the bathroom tile is the worst thing. The second worst thing about it is how it's okay just until the point where it cant take anymore at which point it reeks of cat piss.

Been trying out this recycled paper pellet litter as an alternative, Breeder's Choice. Doesnt seem to track as much, stepping on a loose piece isnt painful. How should I deal with liquid waste though? Just scoop out all the expanded pellets, or mix them into the rest of the pellets? Should I scoop more often than once a day with this stuff?

One cat's fine with using the stuff. The other is a bit suspicious, so I've left one tray with crystals that I'm slowly mixing the pellets into.

Monte Blood Bank
Dec 1, 2005

and we are faceless
you cannot attack us

take the money and then
run
Hey guys, happy cat owner checking in with a question on how to make my cat happier. We moved from a 2 floor duplex with plenty of high windows to a smaller 1 bedroom apartment; I'm worried my cat isn't getting as high up as he'd like to. What's the best/most cost efficient way to get your cat some elevation? Gigantic cat tree, cat shelves? Everything seems to be right about $100 if you invest in something that will hold a cat and comes with brackets. This includes the ikea cat tree hack.

For reference, I've been looking at IKEA shelving, Armarkat trees, and Contempocat shelves. It's all a little expensive for what seems like a small project.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Butt Bidness posted:

What's the best/most cost efficient way to get your cat some elevation? Gigantic cat tree, cat shelves? Everything seems to be right about $100 if you invest in something that will hold a cat and comes with brackets. This includes the ikea cat tree hack.

Well there's...

I whipped this up for Cookie and Pudding.

I settled on a 2x2 combo in the end, and oriented the boxes on their side so any surfaces they stand on would be solid board. And at that configuration it seemed pretty drat stable, hasnt tipped over so far in the weeks I've been watching them horse around in/on it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Catte goons, I am at my wits end.

Fats will not use the litter box anymore/consistently. She's been to the vet and was on antibiotics for 5 days. The vet called back yesterday and said the cultures were clear and there were no signs of crystal either.

Yesterday morning as I'm taking a poo poo the cat pisses on the carpet right next to the litter box (the second one i got and put over where she had been urinating on the carpet. which is after I cleaned the floor with natures miracle.)

This morning she took a poo poo on the other side of the room.

I've got a steam cleaning/professional carpet cleaner coming out Monday, If she still refuses to use any of the now three liter boxes (clever cat, open Rubbermaid deep tub and a low sided one ALL with cat attract) I think I'm going to give up and take her back to the humane society after the better part of two years.

If this wasn't a rental house i'd be half tempted to rip up the carpet and go wood flooring, but its not an option, plus it seems a bit extreme.
I mean, i don't want to sound cold/uncaring but this has been three loving weeks of anti-litter box crusade (including three different piles of cat based mudbutt) and I'm just tired of wet vaccing my carpet every day and picking up a random pile of poo poo at least once a week.

In general she's a cool catte with an awesome purr, and great attitude, loves the ever-loving daylights out of me (i come home and its mrows and belly rolls until i pick her up like a baby and give her some loving), but this is not sustainable anymore.

Am I a horrible person? What else can i do?
Will the other cat forgive me for taking her "sister" (not real sibling, but adopted same time) away?

Cat purr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYRoXm6NsbY

How i have to say hello when i get home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En3q-FA-Pss

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

toplitzin posted:

Catte goons, I am at my wits end.

Fats will not use the litter box anymore/consistently. She's been to the vet and was on antibiotics for 5 days. The vet called back yesterday and said the cultures were clear and there were no signs of crystal either.

Yesterday morning as I'm taking a poo poo the cat pisses on the carpet right next to the litter box (the second one i got and put over where she had been urinating on the carpet. which is after I cleaned the floor with natures miracle.)

This morning she took a poo poo on the other side of the room.

I've got a steam cleaning/professional carpet cleaner coming out Monday, If she still refuses to use any of the now three liter boxes (clever cat, open Rubbermaid deep tub and a low sided one ALL with cat attract) I think I'm going to give up and take her back to the humane society after the better part of two years.

If this wasn't a rental house i'd be half tempted to rip up the carpet and go wood flooring, but its not an option, plus it seems a bit extreme.
I mean, i don't want to sound cold/uncaring but this has been three loving weeks of anti-litter box crusade (including three different piles of cat based mudbutt) and I'm just tired of wet vaccing my carpet every day and picking up a random pile of poo poo at least once a week.

In general she's a cool catte with an awesome purr, and great attitude, loves the ever-loving daylights out of me (i come home and its mrows and belly rolls until i pick her up like a baby and give her some loving), but this is not sustainable anymore.

Am I a horrible person? What else can i do?
Will the other cat forgive me for taking her "sister" (not real sibling, but adopted same time) away?

Cat purr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYRoXm6NsbY

How i have to say hello when i get home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En3q-FA-Pss

You try Cat Attract yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Has anything changed recently? I've seen cats do that sort of thing as a sort of protest or way of getting your attention that they're mad about something.