Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
A reporter will angrily ask Captain America if he knows anything about MySpace and everyone will ask what MySpace is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Luminous Obscurity posted:

A reporter will angrily ask Captain America if he knows anything about MySpace and everyone will ask what MySpace is.

MightyGodKing Was Right

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

RatHat posted:

Wait, so J.A.R.V.I.S. is going to become the Vision? Or does Paul Bettany just happen to be voicing both?

That's why I highlighted that second thing. It's clearly implying that JARVIS becomes Vision on Earth-199999. It sure saves money on hiring another actor, I tell you that (they might be doing it again if Vin Diesel plays Black Bolt).

It's more likely they ask about Tumblr which will only cause Cap to blush because he went there once and it was nothing but homoerotic photoshops of him and the other Avengers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

(they might be doing it again if Vin Diesel plays Black Bolt).

Did they trap Vin Diesel in some horrible contract where they are only paying him by the word?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

The MSJ posted:

It's more likely they ask about Tumblr

:thejoke:

There's a quasi-infamous bit from the Civil War storyline where a reporter is grilling Captain America for being out of touch with mordern America. She uses examples like him not knowing anything about NASCAR or MySpace because those were some things that were popular when the story was written. This is presented as this biting critique against him and he's totally burned by it.

It was very silly.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Basically Civil War is terrible

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I the premise of Civil War could make for an interesting movie or two... but yeah there aren't that many superpowered humans in the movie universe right now.

Even the SHIELD TV series only added like a couple dozen.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, it would be less Civil war and more a Family Feud.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Keep in mind that by the time a Civil War adaptation is even on the table, there'll be a fair few more Marvel movies and Agents of SHIELD will have like 4 or 5 more seasons under its belt. In addition, the Defenders Netflix shows will all have come out and possibly had second or third seasons, introducing yet more characters to draw from.

I wonder if Marvel could put Spider-Man into Agents or one of the Netflix shows to troll Sony, since they own the rights for everything but film.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Civil War was a brilliant concept ruined by the temporary and juvenile nature of comics; despite it being a realistic and terrifying possibility for that world, everyone reading it knew that in six months, everything would be back to normal. Also, the editors and writers were fuckin' terrified of telling a story with far reaching consequences where both sides were good guys, so suddenly the pro-registration crew became moustache-twirling villains who were totally fine with loving over long time friends and it devolved into "how can the good guys punch the bad guys the best."

At its core, it's an awesome concept of "what if in this conflict there's no bad guys" but ugh, comics. It might work in a movie, or a TV series, if they had the balls to change poo poo dramatically from the comic book story, but you'd need a level of narrative complexity that I just doubt would show up.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
My favorite part was probably when the X-Men declared themselves neutral. It made absolutely no sense. The law would have applied to all superpowered beings, it was based on the same act they fought for years and now, were they would actually get support from the wider superhero community for once, they decide to opt out.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

The MSJ posted:

That's why I highlighted that second thing. It's clearly implying that JARVIS becomes Vision on Earth-199999.

This hints at Tony taking Extremis/becoming his own AI/seeing through satellites, etc, too, doesn't it? Iron Man in his current form relies pretty heavily on JARVIS.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nobody in the MCU even has a secret identity.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
While I thought Civil War was one of the best things to happen to comics in recent years, I did not like the Fifty-States Initiative thing that spun out of it. It was just bizarre in concept. The government in Civil War only wanted to suppress unsanctioned superheroes and regulated licensed ones, which seemed reasonable enough. In the Initiative, they are press-ganging random superhumans into becoming soldiers. This includes a teenage girl named Cloud 9, whom they traumatize and turn into a killer. This is sort of thing has been done before... by villains. Now the show was being run by veteran superheroes. It was not just a little creepy, it was downright inhumane in many aspects. It was out-of-character for the heroes running it, and illogical for the government sponsoring it.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 16, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Then again, they did make the Great Lakes Hero Guys into government-sanctioned heroes.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's one thing to license a group of existing heroes who are willing to accept government oversight. It's another thing to press-gang random civilians and then make clones of them when they die in poorly-overseen live-fire exercises.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

feedmyleg posted:

I guess you could argue Hulk does for the public, but the government knows who he is.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Marvel's A-listers in general don't really have secret identities, aside from Spider-Man. That is a pretty new development though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RatHat posted:

I guess you could argue Hulk does for the public, but the government knows who he is.

Same with Winter Soldier, I doubt anyone outside of the few characters in the movie know who he actually is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Same with Winter Soldier, I doubt anyone outside of the few characters in the movie know who he actually is.

Or like it would matter if the public knew who he was.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Of course it does, that's why his identity was kept secret. :)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I really think that could change with some properties. Many of Daredevil's iconic stories rely on him having an ID that gets outed to the Kingpin or the media or something.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

I remember that stupid question. As if Cap had only just been thawed from the ice.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

The official synopsis for Avengers 2 has been revealed. Emphasis mine.

The synopsis almost suggests that the Ultron idea could have originally been Pym's, back when it wasn't a feasible to do, and Tony comes across the idea and says "Hey I can totally do that now."

So it could tie it all together with Pym still creating Ultron after all.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Well to be fair, if Cap America has a super popular museum (which he appears to in the films, and would IRL if he saved NYC from aliens) then a lot of people would know and talk about his buddies in WW2, especially given that they have their own name and museum walls, and his best friend would probably be at least somewhat known.

Not "OMG it's Bucky Barnes" but "OMG this guy was Captain America's closest friend, now he's evil, what could that mean for Captain America et. al..."

It could be psychologically impacting for the general public, just like finding out that Churchill and Hitler were in the same scout troop in school and Hitler was considered as awesome as Churchill before the war (dumb example, but y'know what I mean)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jamesman posted:

The synopsis almost suggests that the Ultron idea could have originally been Pym's, back when it wasn't a feasible to do, and Tony comes across the idea and says "Hey I can totally do that now."

So it could tie it all together with Pym still creating Ultron after all.

That's 100% the speculation right now. A young Pym DID create Ultron and decided it didn't work. Now Stark comes along and thinks he could bring it back but better.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

That's 100% the speculation right now. A young Pym DID create Ultron and decided it didn't work. Now Stark comes along and thinks he could bring it back but better.

I hope this is true if only to see a flashback or something with the 1960s trashcan Ultron mark I.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think people are expecting some sort of flashback of a collaboration between old Howard Stark and young Hank Pym

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
James Spader delivering trashcan Ultron's lines in those panels would be loving unsettling so I hope they do it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

There is no way Spader could deliver those lines and not make it sound like some Electra complex poo poo. It would be the best.

e: Wait, is it still an Electra complex if it's a dude with a daddy fixation?

sub supau fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 17, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nah Ultron is explicitly Oedipal since it hates Pym and wants to bone Janet.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Captain America's so out of touch with America. He doesn't know what's going on on gamergate

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

Captain America's so out of touch with America. He doesn't know what's going on on gamergate

Yeah, he only knows how to use Steam because that's the only PC game online store people tell him about.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hbomberguy posted:

Why would he? He never even has seen a stupid youtube video or simpsons episode.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

My LCBS actually recommended Frontlines a few years ago when I got into the hobby.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

bobkatt013 posted:

Why would he? He never even has seen a stupid youtube video or simpsons episode.

Eh I dunno, he might've had some Simpsons episodes on his list on stuff to catch up on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RatHat posted:

Eh I dunno, he might've had some Simpsons episodes on his list on stuff to catch up on.

But did he have Myspace?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Whalley posted:

Civil War was a brilliant concept ruined by the temporary and juvenile nature of comics; despite it being a realistic and terrifying possibility for that world, everyone reading it knew that in six months, everything would be back to normal. Also, the editors and writers were fuckin' terrified of telling a story with far reaching consequences where both sides were good guys, so suddenly the pro-registration crew became moustache-twirling villains who were totally fine with loving over long time friends and it devolved into "how can the good guys punch the bad guys the best."

At its core, it's an awesome concept of "what if in this conflict there's no bad guys" but ugh, comics. It might work in a movie, or a TV series, if they had the balls to change poo poo dramatically from the comic book story, but you'd need a level of narrative complexity that I just doubt would show up.
Civil War would have worked better if they hadn't made Tony more of a giant rear end in a top hat for that run than usual.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It went out of its way to remove any sense of moral ambiguity very early on. So while the rebels wouldn't even ally with the Punisher, Stark was employing long term villains and not even putting them on a leash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

McSpanky posted:

I hope this is true if only to see a flashback or something with the 1960s trashcan Ultron mark I.

Wait, "dragon man"? That's not Fin Fang Foom, is it?

It'll never happen in a million years even if they do adapt that scene but it would be so great to see someone seriously try and say Fin Fang Foom on the big screen. :allears:

• Locked thread