Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Finished Hyperion last week following a spell of Simmons-induced ennui.

After the god-awful detective's tale it was odds-on to suffer the same fate as Stranger in a Libertarian Lecture Hall Strange Land and remain on the shelf, unfinished. Not the worst book I've ever read by any means but wholly underwhelming. Can't be arsed to go into specifics on why I didn't like it but suffice to say I find myself sympathetic to the 2-3 star Amazon reviews.

I'm currently halfway through Wuthering Heights which is completely loving ace and Hyperion is all but a dim memory.

I liked Hyperion enough. I enjoyed the short story aspect of each of the pilgrim's tales (The priests being my favorite, I agree the detectives was the worst). I got about halfway through Fall of Hyperion about a year ago and decided to re-start at the beginning, realized I don't remember much at all about it, and am having trouble making my way through it.

I'm finding 2001 A Space Odyssey to be more interesting at the moment.

On the other hand, the last story I finished was Leviathan Wakes which was amazing. Is Caliban's War worth reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraji
Oct 28, 2007

Please wait while custom title and avatar loads...
I stumbled on 'Fear the Sky' the other day on an Amazon deal, and to my delight (after blasting through in a few days) discovered there is a sequel recently published, and a final book in a few months. Appears to be a fledgling authors first book (and series) about first contact with another species who are far more interested in the Earth than us. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22171637-fear-the-sky

Turned out to be really good with a lot of decent characters, good plot and fun times all round.

Definitely worth a read.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

On the other hand, the last story I finished was Leviathan Wakes which was amazing. Is Caliban's War worth reading?

Yes -- Caliban's War is definitely worth reading.

I would have a hard time recommending the third book though, and still haven't gotten up the energy to read the fourth.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Has anybody picked up Upgraded yet? I read peter watts' contribution to it ("collateral") last night when i was half asleep and i think i missed something. How did the signal recovered from the dead college kid's cellphone camera, or whatever it was, manage to 'offline' Becker and how did that contribute to her course of action at the end of the story? It seemed like she would have reached the same conclusion without that having happened and i didn't understand how it fit into the chain of events.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yes -- Caliban's War is definitely worth reading.

I would have a hard time recommending the third book though, and still haven't gotten up the energy to read the fourth.

Awesome thanks!

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

While still good, I didn't think Caliban's War quite lived up to the high standards of awesomeness set in Leviathan Wakes. And I really didn't care much for Abaddon's Gate, which leaves me a little worried for the future of the series since they're contracted to write, what, nine more books in this universe?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm enjoying Jim Butcher's Codex Alera way too much. It's like a much better written David Eddings book with a few different takes on things but satisfies the itch for some easy reading fantasy series that also isn't 10+ books long

also this is hilarious

quote:

The inspiration for the series came from a bet Jim was challenged to by a member of the Del Rey Online Writer’s Workshop. The challenger bet that Jim could not write a good story based on a lame idea, and Jim countered that he could do it using two lame ideas of the challenger’s choosing. The “lame” ideas given were “Lost Roman Legion", and “Pokémon”

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

While still good, I didn't think Caliban's War quite lived up to the high standards of awesomeness set in Leviathan Wakes. And I really didn't care much for Abaddon's Gate, which leaves me a little worried for the future of the series since they're contracted to write, what, nine more books in this universe?

I enjoyed Leviathan's Wake immensely, but was a little thrown off by the direction it took at the end with the whole Julie thing. Does it continue in that direction?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Not immediately, I guess, though I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'that direction.' The sequel is solid and has some much better characters.

Acceptance is really really good so far.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yes, it is. In my opinion, it is the strongest of the three expanse books I have read so far (I have not read Cibola Burn yet).

It has also the two best characters in the series: Avasarala (sp?), a very likeable politician who swears a lot, and Bobbie, an interresting female martian marine.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I enjoyed Leviathan's Wake immensely, but was a little thrown off by the direction it took at the end with the whole Julie thing. Does it continue in that direction?

Not really, I would say. In the second book the story morphs into more of a political thriller, if anything. Leviathan Wakes remains my favorite of the first three books because it nails the whole sci-fi noir vibe so perfectly, but as mentioned Caliban's War is also great.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There's a new storybundle available.

Looks like some decent reads from the descriptions.

http://storybundle.com/suspense

Still have the Dark Fantasy one available as well : http://storybundle.com/darkfantasy (for the next day or so)

As well as the cyberpunk : http://storybundle.com/cyberpunk

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There's a new storybundle available.

Looks like some decent reads from the descriptions.

http://storybundle.com/suspense

I haven't read that particular title, but Brian Hodge is a phenomenal writer.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

I haven't read that particular title, but Brian Hodge is a phenomenal writer.

The Clive Barker one they got is good too.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Jedit posted:

If you are still feeling critical of YA fiction, then mark the page in what you are reading, go to your nearest bookshop or the Kindle store, buy Dodger and Nation by Terry Pratchett, and read them.

No to the first. Yes to the second. Dodger is a dull, stodgy book that is written for people who give out awards for YA fiction and that I can't imagine any actual young adult - or for that matter anyone who was disappointed by books like Snuff and Raising Steam and who is on the lookout for some top tier Pratchett - actually liking. Nation and the Tiffany Aching series a kind of prize-baity as well, but they're compelling reads. If you want to get any young person in your life into PTerry, go with the Johnny Maxwell books, or the Nomes Trilogy, or any of the early Disc novels (which are far more age appropriate, and more importantly, age accessible than anything the guy has published for kids in the last decade).

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 18, 2014

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Alzheimer is the worst loving piece of poo poo.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Finished Echopraxia the other day and that was easily the most boring book I've read all year. It felt like a good 50% of the book was spent badly describing unimportant crap, and the rest was Watts going on (and on, and on) about how much more badass future humans are going to be.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Dude almost died from flesh-eating bacteria and got permanently exiled from his biggest writing market, I'm willing to forgive him for Echopraxia being rough. I still enjoyed it.

Did any of you guys read his (I kid you not) Crysis 2 tie-in novel? It was pretty good. Lots of opportunities for Watts to be a snarky, cynical gently caress, which he excels at.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

eriktown posted:

Did any of you guys read his (I kid you not) Crysis 2 tie-in novel? It was pretty good. Lots of opportunities for Watts to be a snarky, cynical gently caress, which he excels at.

I unironically love that novel. To the point where I'll try and convince other sci-fi-reading friends of mine to read it. "Well, it's a novelization of a videogame no hang on it's actually pretty good come back--"

But seriously, goddamn.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I liked it better than the game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I liked that book too. I also really liked the game, mostly, I think, because of the book. And the multiplayer being hilarious and packed with idiots.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

And the multiplayer being hilarious and packed with idiots.

See also: every multiplayer videogame ever

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Jedit posted:

If you are still feeling critical of YA fiction, then mark the page in what you are reading, go to your nearest bookshop or the Kindle store, buy Dodger and Nation by Terry Pratchett, and read them.

I didn't know Terry Pratchett wrote a book about the Artful Dodger! There's another book called Artful by Peter David which is coming up on my reading list, so maybe I'll read both.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hey, anyone post about Robert Jackson Bennett's City of Stairs yet? New standalone secondary world fantasy, and really good!
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/09/cultivating-wonder-robert-j-bennetts-city-of-stairs

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
So I just finished rereading the Magicians, and read The Magician King for the first time. I plan to move on to Land but I have a question for the thread first. Are there any INCREDIBLY uncomfortable and off putting scenes like Reynard the Fox at the end of Julie's story? Because if so, I'd just as soon not.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Dreqqus posted:

So I just finished rereading the Magicians, and read The Magician King for the first time. I plan to move on to Land but I have a question for the thread first. Are there any INCREDIBLY uncomfortable and off putting scenes like Reynard the Fox at the end of Julie's story? Because if so, I'd just as soon not.

No -- there's nothing like that. You'll be fine.

onefish-- I haven't posted about it yet but I just started City of Stairs this week and am loving it. Really interesting setting.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

onefish posted:

Hey, anyone post about Robert Jackson Bennett's City of Stairs yet? New standalone secondary world fantasy, and really good!
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/09/cultivating-wonder-robert-j-bennetts-city-of-stairs

I posted in the "what did you just finish?" thread.

Brandon Sanderson's publisher recommended this book, and I am so glad he did. This is an outstanding novel. The setting is unique and enthralling, based in a city and society two generations past the assassination of its deities and overthrow of a government by its slaves. It starts as a murder mystery, then peppers in spycraft and subterfuge, all the while setting up a few badass confrontations with gods, demigods, and cults. The characters are intelligent enough that it never feels like anything is intentionally overlooked, and the protagonist's revelations were often in line with my own.

The only major complaint I have about the book is that it answers all of its questions. The mysteries it poses are all neatly wrapped in the end, so I feel like there's not much world-building left to do if Bennett wishes to revisit this setting.

Oh, and it's written in the present tense, which is weird as hell.

But yea, I can't recommend the book enough. It's really, really good stuff.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

regularizer posted:

I didn't know Terry Pratchett wrote a book about the Artful Dodger! There's another book called Artful by Peter David which is coming up on my reading list, so maybe I'll read both.

Artful update: its preface is far better and funnier than most novels. Read it now

"[b posted:

Artful[/b]"]
Faced with a pompous judge, the Artful Dodger disdained to defend himself or his actions, loudly declaring that this was not the shop for justice and that his lawyer would certainly attend to the scoundrels inconveniencing the Artful directly if he were not currently breakfasting with the vice president of the House of Commons. It was a performance of sheerest bravado that would have made lesser men leap to their feet and applaud—as opposed to the greater men, who merely scowled and declared that the formidable Artful was to be transported forthwith to the untamed and thoroughly criminal continent of Australia. Imagine, if you will, Oliver Twist in the same predicament. There is little doubt that his defense would have been to fall to his knees, sobbing and lamenting his lot in life, a performance that would unquestionably have united lesser and greater men to shunt the little whiner off the English Isles and into the Atlantic as expeditiously as possible, conceivably without benefit of boat.

"[b posted:

Artful[/b]"]
Why Mr. Dickens, in his biography of that particular moment, preferred to focus on the adventures of the orphan parish child, Oliver Twist, remains a matter of speculation and mystery to all subsequent scribes of those long-departed times: of a London nearly two centuries gone, back when it was a pox-infested, grimy, depressing, fog-bound, class-favoring, sprawling, noxious, odorous, and overall distasteful place in which to live and breathe and sicken and die—as opposed to modern times, wherein the pox has been largely attended to; so that’s progress of a sort.

regularizer fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 20, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
City of Bohane is better than pretty much every pulp fiction book this godforsaken forum loves. Just trying to help.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

genghis.khan posted:

Finished Echopraxia the other day and that was easily the most boring book I've read all year. It felt like a good 50% of the book was spent badly describing unimportant crap, and the rest was Watts going on (and on, and on) about how much more badass future humans are going to be.
I don't think I was hooked until the Portia bits started, which was probably well over halfway... Anyway, I bought it hardcover to support the author. I read the Starfish series for free after all.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

regularizer posted:

Artful update: its preface is far better and funnier than most novels. Read it now

It's probably by the xfactor guy. He's a great writer.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finished up the last Craig Schaefer book this morning. The Living End.

It was a great book. It didn't end the way I expected it to, but it was still pretty awesome.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Finished up the last Craig Schaefer book this morning. The Living End.

It was a great book. It didn't end the way I expected it to, but it was still pretty awesome.

It did a suprisingly good job of resolving a bunch of stuff that was brought up in the first book. I'm impressed by how tight the plotting is. Definitely going to keep reading.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Daniel keeps ignoring the fact that he owes the one dude for his awesome car and gun. I wonder if that will be a catalyst for the plot of the next book.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

corn in the bible posted:

City of Bohane is better than pretty much every pulp fiction book this godforsaken forum loves. Just trying to help.

It's alright. I really didn't think it was anything special.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Victorkm posted:

Daniel keeps ignoring the fact that he owes the one dude for his awesome car and gun. I wonder if that will be a catalyst for the plot of the next book.

They mention it a time or two in the last book, but it's literally "I have no time to worry about that, this is WAY more important" for each time it's brought up.

I would not think you remiss in that idea though, because I can easily see the guy charging him an extra "job" fee for taking so long to get him paid back. Might be why the next book kicks off an adventure.

That and I cannot possibly see Caitlin ever giving up that ride.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

They mention it a time or two in the last book, but it's literally "I have no time to worry about that, this is WAY more important" for each time it's brought up.

I would not think you remiss in that idea though, because I can easily see the guy charging him an extra "job" fee for taking so long to get him paid back. Might be why the next book kicks off an adventure.

That and I cannot possibly see Caitlin ever giving up that ride.
Considering how many world ending threats Daniel has defeated I'm thinking that he's a little out of the gun dealer guy's league.

Worst case scenario, the guy tries to get him to pay up by kidnapping his pretty businesswoman girlfriend, and a few bodies later everyone agrees to call things even.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm reading FOREVER WAR...

It's AMAZING how fast we used to think our space travel technology would advance. The stuff he has going on in this novel is something that--today--authors would probably project to be two-hundred years from now, and Haldeman predicted it 25 years out.

I know prediction isn't the point of sci-fi, but it's really interesting to see how we just assumed things would keep going. It seems like a rather reasonable assumption since we went from zero to the moon so quickly.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 22, 2014

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I wonder how constant that is historically during the rise of new technologies. You have the singularitarians today drawing dubious trend lines to the nerd rapture, following on from the space enthusiasts promising Moon colonies and travel to the stars. Before that was there a literature of air travel enthusiasts or steam industrialisation enthusiasts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mars4523 posted:

Considering how many world ending threats Daniel has defeated I'm thinking that he's a little out of the gun dealer guy's league.

Worst case scenario, the guy tries to get him to pay up by kidnapping his pretty businesswoman girlfriend, and a few bodies later everyone agrees to call things even.

Eh, he's Jennifer's friend or at least business associate. I'd think that might earn him a little leeway in the "might be magical" department. Worst case Daniel has to do the jail job, which would at least make for an interesting read as well.