Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

This is upsetting.

"We'll teach you to think like a lawyer!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mr. Nice! posted:

My murdered prof
you can't just say that and not provide any context

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Best Deposition Ever.

(Deponent is a dis-barred attorney.)

"In your 22 years of practice, have you ever sent a fax before?"

"I don't remember."

"Who is PERSON X on this wiring transaction page?"

"I dont know, do you have a drivers license or social security card?"

"Who is your brother?

"PERSON X."

"Who is PERSON Y?"

"I don't know. A notary, I guess."

"These tax filings show PERSON Y worked for your (solo) firm for 4 years. Do you recall having employed PERSON Y?"

"I don't recall."

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Soothing Vapors posted:

It was all over the news. The FSU crim law professor that was shot in the head in Tallahassee. I had him for crim 1L year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soothing Vapors posted:

I thought it had been discussed in here by other FSU alum. One of the law professors was shot in the face in his driveway in some sort of planned execution a couple of months ago.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

blarzgh posted:

Best Deposition Ever.

the real best deposition ever posted:

Denise, suck my dick, bitch (indicating).

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

mikeraskol posted:

It was all over the news. The FSU crim law professor that was shot in the head in Tallahassee. I had him for crim 1L year.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I thought it had been discussed in here by other FSU alum. One of the law professors was shot in the face in his driveway in some sort of planned execution a couple of months ago.
Oh poo poo, I must have missed that. That's crazy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah he pulled into his driveway at 9ish on a Friday night. Was talking to someone on his cell phone. Someone walked up, shot him in the face, got in a silver prius, and drove off.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Adar posted:

Browsing/emailing would really eat into Poker Stars sit-n-go rubbing monney on my tittays time.

Corrected for Adar.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Winner.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Lawgoons, I'm graduating in December with a paralegal certificate from an ABA accredited program in Sacramento, CA. I also have a BA in History from a state school. The program was absolutely amazing, and I can say with 100% confidence that I learned more in that one year than I did during my four years of undergrad. Okay, enough about my not so impressive accomplishments. My problem is this, I have no real relevant legal experience. I wanted an internship so badly but just couldn't do it as I was paying my cost of living and some of my tuition.

I'm looking for any resume advice, interview advice, general advice and even places to look besides the typical Craigslist law firm ad.

Should I even list my job history (resteraunt, catering, and delivery driver, non of which were management positions)? I did do a 6month internship at the special collections department of the state school I attended. I plan to include that because it was filing, scanning, batesing (bates numbering, and all that jazz. It sounds like that experience could transfer into the legal field fairly well.

Like I said, I learned a ton during the program and not just substantive legal knowlwdge. I'm familiar with 20+ different legal softwares and plan to list each one. Other than that, I plan to talk about my writing/researching skills accumulated from the history degree. I also have a folder full of writing samples: motions, briefs, correspondences, intakes, discovery, JDC forms, etc.

Obviously the school I'm attending will help with resume writing, interview prep, and job search; but, I'm hoping for a little extra from you goons. And please, not something like "start stockpiling the E & J now in case of emergency."

I want to get my foot in the door, but I'm also confident I can start doing billable work from the get-go.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

10bux posted:

Should I even list my job history (resteraunt, catering, and delivery driver, non of which were management positions)? I did do a 6month internship at the special collections department of the state school I attended. I plan to include that because it was filing, scanning, batesing (bates numbering, and all that jazz. It sounds like that experience could transfer into the legal field fairly well.

Like I said, I learned a ton during the program and not just substantive legal knowlwdge.

Proofread your applications very, very carefully.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
If I were hiring a paralegal, I'd want a total perfectionist ready to bend like the wind. 100% robotic accuracy, but ready to redo everything if I decide to put another field in between these two things.

(and jokes aside, I'd ignore somebody if their resume or cover letter had the tiniest of typos)

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Also:

quote:

(CNN) -- The evidence gathered after Tony Stewart's race car struck and killed another driver who was walking on the track will be given soon to a grand jury, a district attorney in upstate New York announced Tuesday.
Michael Tantillo, the Ontario County District Attorney, said the matter will be presented in the "near future."
He said New York law precludes him from specifying when the grand jury will meet to decide whether Stewart should be indicted on a criminal charge. He also didn't say who he will call as witnesses, but Stewart might be asked to testify.

Yeah.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Perfectionism is importat.

Also, I would think that the kind of firm who is looking to hire a paralegal with your qualifications (little to no experience) understands that they are working with a blank slate. They know they want someone who isn't set in their own ways, and since every place has a different system, so they are probably looking for someone who is eager and willing to learn how they do it and how they want it done.

My paralegal says when she started out, she went to go work for a legal temp agency to get some experience.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

10bux posted:

Should I even list my job history (resteraunt, catering, and delivery driver, non of which were management positions)?

Yes. Someone who is basically aware of what a job is and entails has a leg up on someone fresh out of college who has never worked before, even when the experience is not relevant. That said, since it's not terribly relevant don't let it take up so much space you don't focus on what you want to get across.

And yeah, if you're going for a paralegal job you've got to have a resume/cover letter utterly free of typos. I say this as someone who is terrible about typos so it's not like a "typos mean you are a bad person": you are generally the person I am going to be trying to get to find MY typos so the last thing I'd want is someone who is going to introduce their own.

For where to apply: you're sort of in a bad place because most of the openings happen over the summer as paralegals leave for law school or their 1-2 year commitment expires and they leave for anything else. That said, if you've gone to school to be a paralegal you're going to be a little different from the "random smart person out of college who didn't know what they wanted to do and got conned into being a paralegal" crew so you do have that going for you.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I'm reading about lateral support rights in Property.

Someone help.

:negative:

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
"Hey, maybe I should bring my minor child to jury duty!"

Yes, this is a superb plan.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

I'm reading about lateral support rights in Property.

Someone help.

:negative:

If it helps, I routinely prosecute cases where O sells black acre to A, but B had fee simple title. I use that to illustrate to rural judges and hope that their forty year distant legal education kicks in and they realize my clients have a claim.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Alaemon posted:

"Hey, maybe I should bring my minor child to jury duty!"

Yes, this is a superb plan.

When we were in criminal (and this wasn't just drug deals, we had a lot of family and sexual violence cases and other really violent crimes) we used to have to tell defendants they couldn't bring babies and/or small children into the courtroom.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

A Game of Chess posted:

When we were in criminal (and this wasn't just drug deals, we had a lot of family and sexual violence cases and other really violent crimes) we used to have to tell defendants they couldn't bring babies and/or small children into the courtroom.

But they'd never take a woman into custody when they have a baby with them (I'm being sarcastic but I have a feeling this actually does work sometimes for sentencing if the kid isn't an annoying little poo poo).

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
In every case I've seen there's other family members there too, but still. Usually the kid just sits there sobbing and traumatized. :(

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
On Monday there was a sentencing at 1:00 PM during the break for my trial. The guy was a self-rep and brought his two teenage daughters.

Before the self-rep arrived the Crown was telling the clerk to alert the sheriffs because the Crown figured the guy would flip his poo poo when he was given a jail sentence, and had to be taken into custody. The guy ended up getting a CSO instead (jail at home) and was able to leave the court with his daughters. The Crown might have been overconfident in his harsher position (they often are), but who knows... :iiam:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Last time I saw someone bring their kids to court he was arrested because his bail didn't allow contact with his family :v:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just saw a lawyer basically try to steal $900 and admit it in open court then laugh it off. Ended with the Judge telling him to either report himself to the ARDC or the Judge would do it.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Perfectionism is importat.
Also, I would think that the kind of firm who is looking to hire a paralegal with your qualifications (little to no experience) understands that they are working with a blank slate. They know they want someone who isn't set in their own ways, and since every place has a different system, so they are probably looking for someone who is eager and willing to learn how they do it and how they want it done.

My paralegal says when she started out, she went to go work for a legal temp agency to get some experience.

Thanks for the info everyone, this post, as well as my original was made from my iPhone. The window for typing is literally less than an inch thick, and there is some button I always push that brings me to the top and makes me start over. I sent my resume and every cover letter thereafter to one of my professors who was the dean at Lincoln Law School. I'm actually really interested in working for the state, but I'd have to start as a legal typist before being qualified for the legal analysist position. It's actually pretty crazy, something like 6 of the 8 legal analysts in the DOj all graduated from my current college. However, getting a job with the state of CA is a real pain in the rear end and can take a year or more.

I have been networking and got to talking to the senior paralegal for Molina health care. She even introduced me to the head attorney there. I'm really banking on that job because she makes more than most lawyers (ok I don't know that for sure, but you get the point). But, I've learned nothing is a sure thing anymore.

I think a temp agency would be a great ldea, thanks.

Final question: has anyone met, or even heard of, an attorney who is an active member of the state bar of CA and did NOT go to law school?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

A Game of Chess posted:

We had a divorcing couple today bring one of their seven minor children. It was pretty classy.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
So, how many running backs are going to be left by the end of the season?

Also:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ontent=20140916

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 18, 2014

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/275538311.html

The Sarah Palin of state Supreme Court candidates. Hope she'll give an interview.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Lol BP doesn't even care anymore, they burned their bridges with Barbier a long time ago.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Alaemon posted:

We had a divorcing couple today bring one of their seven minor children. It was pretty classy.

I had a restraining order case in which the respondent brought his four minor children. He was being accused of anally raping a woman with Down’s Syndrome.

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006

I.G.Y. fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 30, 2015

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Practice tip for all you solos: Prop up your brand by Photoshopping yourself into celebrity pictures!

Just watch out for the Bar.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Bro Enlai posted:

Practice tip for all you solos: Prop up your brand by Photoshopping yourself into celebrity pictures!

Just watch out for the Bar.

This is hilarious.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
That's pretty sweet. The opinion is good readin':

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/ca/SangarySvitlana.pdf

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Shaffer v. Heitner posted:

We therefore conclude that all assertions of state-court jurisdiction [regarding in rem proceedings] must be evaluated according to the standards set forth in International Shoe and its progeny.

Oh god.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

woozle wuzzle posted:

Especially because the quoting from her brief has HER NAME IN ALL CAPS which makes me suspect sovereign citizen leanings...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

"SANGARY is a prominent donor and philanthropist, supporting important social causes, who had recently received the email from President Obama with the subject like 'I need your help today', asking SVITLANA SANGARY for an additional donation."

Hahaha this is good stuff

edit: this whole thing is solid gold. I wish we could read her brief in its entirety.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

woozle wuzzle posted:

Goldmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

And such lemonade tastes great. It may have blood, sweat, and tears in it, but it is so enjoyable.

Don't accept a drink from that woman.