Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

duTrieux. posted:

google's weird insistence that the technology will be perfect from the get-go is worrying

autism penetrates all levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

reminder that the system only really works on roads that have been extensively mapped and photographed and choreographed

i mean, gently caress. i want a self-driving car but google's weird insistence that the technology will be perfect from the get-go is worrying

where is this weird insistance you're talking about? the development process has been necessarily pretty public and it seems like typical iterative design. its pretty sensible to only be working on meticulously scanned routes at this point to test more important systems like accident and pedestrian avoidance. or do you think they should throw a bunch of complicated systems together and immediately expect them all to work?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

or do you think they should throw a bunch of complicated systems together and immediately expect them all to work?

yeah we wouldn't want to hold them to real transportation engineering standards that would just be unreasonable

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah we wouldn't want to hold them to real transportation engineering standards that would just be unreasonable

a-bloo a-bloo software engineering allows for cheaper iterations and more flexibility than civil engineering a-bloo-bloo-bloo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cocoa Crispies posted:

a-bloo a-bloo software engineering allows for cheaper iterations and more flexibility than civil engineering a-bloo-bloo-bloo

lol you might want to find a better thing to point to there than the google car

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

real engineering standards assume drivers are complete idiots right

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

where is this weird insistance you're talking about?

quote:

In May, Google announced that all its future cars would be totally driver-free, without even a steering wheel.

it's not explicitly stated, but complaining about being required to include human controls is a pretty good sign that they envision their system as being able to handle all road situations which would mean that the AI would have to be, yes, perfect.

quote:

Among other unsolved problems, Google has yet to drive in snow, and Urmson says safety concerns preclude testing during heavy rains. Nor has it tackled big, open parking lots or multilevel garages. The car’s video cameras detect the color of a traffic light; Urmson said his team is still working to prevent them from being blinded when the sun is directly behind a light. Despite progress handling road crews, “I could construct a construction zone that could befuddle the car,” Urmson says.

Pedestrians are detected simply as moving, column-shaped blurs of pixels—meaning, Urmson agrees, that the car wouldn’t be able to spot a police officer at the side of the road frantically waving for traffic to stop.

The car’s sensors can’t tell if a road obstacle is a rock or a crumpled piece of paper, so the car will try to drive around either. Urmson also says the car can’t detect potholes or spot an uncovered manhole if it isn’t coned off.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

real engineering standards assume drivers are complete idiots right

or drunk yeah

but you don't get to road test around all of those drivers impaired by age and drugs until your poo poo 100% works because of the liability

which is why google basically didn't tell anyone about their public road testing for like their first year iirc

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it seems like they are holding themselves to those standards. what are you getting at here? as far as i know few complicated systems come together and work flawlessly the first time, even with extensive testing of the subsystems and years of development time.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

or drunk yeah

but you don't get to road test around all of those drivers impaired by age and drugs until your poo poo 100% works because of the liability

which is why google basically didn't tell anyone about their public road testing for like their first year iirc

they did plenty of closed-course testing before actually putting these out on the road and there is always a live driver behind the wheel

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

it's not explicitly stated, but complaining about being required to include human controls is a pretty good sign that they envision their system as being able to handle all road situations which would mean that the AI would have to be, yes, perfect.

so they're saying they want their future self driving cars to be self driving. that doesnt seem too weird to me

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

duTrieux. posted:

reminder that the system only really works on roads that have been extensively mapped and photographed and choreographed

i mean, gently caress. i want a self-driving car but google's weird insistence that the technology will be perfect from the get-go is worrying
you kinda want the car to drive at least partially based on properly maintained maps and such rather than just visual information

like if you had it look for lines in the road or somehow magically secured a zillion dollars to paint all roads with sensors or special paint it can instantly recognize you'd literally have people crashing these cars by drawing a fake road into a wall like Wil E. Coyote

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fabricated posted:

you kinda want the car to drive at least partially based on properly maintained maps and such rather than just visual information

like if you had it look for lines in the road or somehow magically secured a zillion dollars to paint all roads with sensors or special paint it can instantly recognize you'd literally have people crashing these cars by drawing a fake road into a wall like Wil E. Coyote

you raise a good point but that specific example would be avoided by their lidar sensors

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fabricated posted:

or somehow magically secured a zillion dollars to paint all roads with sensors or special paint it can instantly recognize you'd literally have people crashing these cars by drawing a fake road into a wall like Wil E. Coyote

this is literally what stanford and mit and a few other big research programs have been doing since the mid-80s

the frontrunner for "smart roads" that we learned about in school was this system where you since pylons into the road every 12 feet or something that it can detect in order to sense the edge of the travel lanes

coupled with sensing technology that you put in the other cars on your test track you can get some really crazy traffic densities where everyone's less than a foot from everyone else

it's something that's been worked on for decades and yeah the unpredictability is what kills it

all of these methods work best when you hit a threshold of autonomous vehicles on the road - iirc it's somewhere just south of 1 in 3

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Fabricated posted:

then it's an inferior solution because i can drive based on just visual information

quote:

like if you had it look for lines in the road... you'd literally have people crashing these cars by drawing a fake road into a wall like Wil E. Coyote

no, because ostensibly such a system would be able to tell a real road from a drawing based on just visual information.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what if its a really good drawing

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Last Chance posted:

what if its a really good drawing

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

Civilians are detected simply as moving, column-shaped blurs of pixels—meaning, Urmson agrees, that the drone wouldn’t be able to spot an injured friendly at the side of the road frantically waving for the drone to stop firing. 

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol i just remembered i live in a world where microsoft bought a lovely java mining game for 2.5 billion dollars and this is the real world this really is happening

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
edit: whoops i missed

vvv thank you for replying though

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
even google isn't that dumb i think

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PleasureKevin posted:

yes apart from the zune, surface, xbox one, windows 8, windows phone, massive layoffs and a CEO resignation it's all good??

yes it is all good? lol that internet nerds are still butthurt over the xbox one btw.

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol i just remembered i live in a world where microsoft bought a lovely java mining game for 2.5 billion dollars and this is the real world this really is happening

the lovely java mining game is literally second only to tetris in terms of games people actually buy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

the lovely java mining game is literally second only to tetris in terms of games people actually buy

uhm it's actually *third* best selling after wii sports

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

everyone fishmeched about this a few pages ago yesterday, shut up

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
a fish... mech??

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

everyone fishmeched about this a few pages ago yesterday, shut up

oh sorry i missed all that

i was just responding to wikipedia brown :fishmech:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

hence why i wrote actually bought, since wii sports was not optional for most of the wii's life.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Nintendo Kid posted:

hence why i wrote actually bought, since wii sports was not optional for most of the wii's life.
  /

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
also tetris was bundled with gameboy, not claiming it's exactly the same as wii sports but still

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

also tetris was bundled with gameboy, not claiming it's exactly the same as wii sports but still

there were between 20 and 30 million bundled copies of tetris for game boy.

when you subtract that from its total its still the best selling game of all time by a comfortable margin

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

there were between 20 and 30 million bundled copies of tetris for game boy.

when you subtract that from its total its still the best selling game of all time by a comfortable margin

true that's why i said it wasn't the same. my point is i think discounting bundling is needlessly pedantic and if we were talking about any game except wii sports or maybe duck hunt i'd say you're full of poo poo but oh right :fishmech: ok bye

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the proper :fishmech:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i dont really get the confusion over minecraft. It's immensely profitable, it's a video game, it's on xbox, why on gods green earth would microsoft NOT buy it?

2.5b may be steep, but we are not even near the same ballpark of whatsapp.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

rotor posted:

i dont really get the confusion over minecraft. It's immensely profitable, it's a video game, it's on xbox, why on gods green earth would microsoft NOT buy it?

2.5b may be steep, but we are not even near the same ballpark of whatsapp.
because they were already making money from it selling on xbox and 2.5 billion dollars is way too much anything for some silly game nobody will give a poo poo about in 5 years

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

because they were already making money from it selling on xbox and 2.5 billion dollars is way too much anything for some silly game nobody will give a poo poo about in 5 years

counterpoint: world of warcraft

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

and they dont even have to maintain servers

look, I'm not saying they didn't overpay. I'm saying that of the recent big tech purchases, this isn't really that bad at all.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

rotor posted:

and they dont even have to maintain servers

look, I'm not saying they didn't overpay. I'm saying that of the recent big tech purchases, this isn't really that bad at all.

Yeah, stacked up against other tech purchases this is a pretty smart deal. Minecraft is a video game that has crazy saturation throughout ages 5-18. Love it or hate it, there's been plenty of time for a Minecraft killer to come around and it just hasn't happened.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ms bought minecraft whatever to teach a new generation to hate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

jesus christ google, how hard is it to design a self-driving car? this car only passed "with flying colors" and "dealt remarkably well with errant pedestrians, freeways, and busy intersections?" step up your goddamn game!

its useless

• Locked thread