Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Oh actually I do have some things I would like you to translate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

I went for lunch in Harbor City yesterday and spent like $700 so it's all about choices you make

Bad ones, apparently. :v:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Happy Mid-Autumn's festival everyone!

Here's an interesting tidbit in Hong Kong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luq47iZtmR4

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Did the mainland get blown up?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
What's the best way to send money to someone in China, assuming that I need it to clear in about a week or less? (under $100)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Are you also in China?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fart simpson posted:

Are you also in China?

No, in the US.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fedex him a wad of cash?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Are they Chinese?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Probably the best would be to give money to someone in the US that also has a Chinese bank account, and have them transfer the money with an instant, free bank transfer. They have those in China. It's one of the things China has that's better than the United States.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

goldboilermark posted:

Are they Chinese?

Yes.

fart simpson posted:

Probably the best would be to give money to someone in the US that also has a Chinese bank account, and have them transfer the money with an instant, free bank transfer. They have those in China. It's one of the things China has that's better than the United States.

I have a HK friend so maybe I'll try that, the person I'm trying to send it to lives in the Mainland though so I don't know if that'll change anything.

It looks like Western Union can send the money directly to a bank account so I may try that too.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Western Union is alright.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

fart simpson posted:

This is the best way to do it. Also two of my U.S. banks can do immediate interbank transfers (one can't though because it's a small and lovely and regional).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

What do they cost? I know for sure two out of three of mine can't. Don't know about the third.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

fart simpson posted:

What do they cost? I know for sure two out of three of mine can't. Don't know about the third.

They're free, but one of them requires the sending/receiving account to be executive-level or whatnot (lots of money deposited in it). The other bank has no strings attached.

All the regional New England banks I've had over the years were terrible and had nothing like that though, yeah. These two banks are Rust Belt/Midwestern organizations.

edit: oops actually the "no strings attached" bank does have a potential 2-day wait so I guess it's not immediate. I've never used that one for transfers. It is free though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Is PayPal not an option?
International wires usually have a service fee up to $30. Postal money orders have a fee and take longer and have the risk of getting lost on the way so it's worth it imo.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Serious China question:

I want to buy a PS4 and I'll be in the states next week so that'll be easy.

Does anyone have one and do online games work? I'm concerned cause it seems in the last year everything outside of China worked and now nothing works. I'm mainly concerned with stuff like Diablo 3 and Destiny.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I can play PS4 stuff with people in America from HK so it's not an international thing. Maybe a China thing though.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure the latency is going to kill you until they release a Chinese PSN. There was talk about official releases a year or two ago but nothing seems to come of them.

Diablo 3 doesn't need an Internet connection but Destiny does. It automatically logs out if it gets connection problems.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
In 2009 I bought a PS3 in China and regretted it because it was too laggy to play anything online

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Going to Hong Kong from Wednesday October 8th (arriving at 23:43) and leaving Sunday 12th.

Looking for hotels (with the gf) and our range is $80-150ish. Finding some on Asia Web Direct like the Island Pacific Hotel for $155, but wondering if people had any gems. Also, if we're flying in that late are we stuck with taxis and pre-booking at a hostel somewhere?

Finally got the vacation day okayed from work after crazy bureaucracy and our tickets doubled in price, but they're bought and we're coming.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Bishop Lei, much nicer than island pacific without costing alot. And cabs area cheap because you are not out in the sticks. Aiya, it's in the OP. But yeah, will meet up

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

DontAskKant posted:

Going to Hong Kong from Wednesday October 8th (arriving at 23:43) and leaving Sunday 12th.

Looking for hotels (with the gf) and our range is $80-150ish. Finding some on Asia Web Direct like the Island Pacific Hotel for $155, but wondering if people had any gems. Also, if we're flying in that late are we stuck with taxis and pre-booking at a hostel somewhere?

Finally got the vacation day okayed from work after crazy bureaucracy and our tickets doubled in price, but they're bought and we're coming.
>removed<
Hit me up when you get here. Or go through Caberham. The net effect is the same.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 16, 2014

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Nicer hotels for Hong Kong are not in the OP unless in a different lodging section.

Simplefish do you have the same number? I sent you a message.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

Bishop Lei, much nicer than island pacific without costing alot. And cabs area cheap because you are not out in the sticks. Aiya, it's in the OP. But yeah, will meet up

Seconding the Bishop Lei. Fearcotton and I have stayed there several times and it's really nice and affordable, plus close to Chez Caberham.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

blinkyzero posted:

Seconding the Bishop Lei. Fearcotton and I have stayed there several times and it's really nice and affordable, plus close to Chez Caberham.

The pictures for Island Pacific look nicer, but maybe they have a better photographer. Does it have a bath? And the affordable rooms have windows?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

DontAskKant posted:

The pictures for Island Pacific look nicer, but maybe they have a better photographer. Does it have a bath? And the affordable rooms have windows?

Our rooms always had windows. One of them had a full bath and not just a shower. That was close to the top floor and the views were fantastic. It's a nice area to walk around and eat out and stuff too, it seemed to me. Caberham can probably sleepwalk up and down those hills he knows the area so well.

Plus you're within walking distance of the Catholic church! :catholic:

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
It looks like Beijing has tightened the requirements for foreigners to get a work visa in the Beijing area.

The main difference I see, is that teaching now requires 5 years experience. That might tighten the job market a little.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Trammel posted:

It looks like Beijing has tightened the requirements for foreigners to get a work visa in the Beijing area.

The main difference I see, is that teaching now requires 5 years experience. That might tighten the job market a little.

Haha closing the gates so that the only legally employed teachers are the aging pedophiles.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Trammel posted:

Now teaching is in line with every other industry in China that wants to hire foreigners. The 2 year thing for teaching was specific to teaching, which I assumed was due to the fact the ESL market in China would crumble, unable to sustain itself or it's profits without a limitless source of recent grads looking for adventure in the orient.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It's a step to growing a domestic industry.

China has a history of "Hire counsultants from abroad, copy knowledge/tech, (optional "fail to pay" step), disseminate amongst Han people and keep the profit within the country.

I've heard about this happening from several different professionals in several different fields. Teach a man to fish and all that, I suppose.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Tacoman was a consultant?

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

fart simpson posted:

Tacoman was a consultant?

"Public Relations" :human being:

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I'm looking at a possible future job teaching English and Technical Communication at a university in Dalian. Is it a decent place to live.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

simplefish posted:

It's a step to growing a domestic industry.

In English teaching, this will end hilariously.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Maxsmart posted:

I'm looking at a possible future job teaching English and Technical Communication at a university in Dalian. Is it a decent place to live.

You may have to operationally define "decent" for us.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

In English teaching, this will end hilariously.

I have had Chinese teachers tell me about "Chinese English" as a new valid form of English in complete sincerity. I don't think it's valid because I don't think there's a community of Chinese talking to each other in English on the mainland. And if there is nobody in our school is a member. It's all I can do to get our Chinese TAs to speak English to the students in English class.

It's like:
TA: "deliciers"
S: "derisherrrz"
TA: “好,下一个”
T: :cripes:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

goldboilermark posted:

You may have to operationally define "decent" for us.

Don't listen to this honkey.

Dalian is pretty nice. I lived there for a little less than two months and it was nice then, anyway. It's by the ocean, the pollution wasn't too bad, it's relatively inexpensive, and you can get super legit/good korean food there. I'd prefer to live in Yantai in Shandong which is right across the bay, but Dalian is a pretty OK tier 2 city.

Arglebargle III posted:

I have had Chinese teachers tell me about "Chinese English" as a new valid form of English in complete sincerity. I don't think it's valid because I don't think there's a community of Chinese talking to each other in English on the mainland. And if there is nobody in our school is a member. It's all I can do to get our Chinese TAs to speak English to the students in English class.

It's like:
TA: "deliciers"
S: "derisherrrz"
TA: “好,下一个”
T: :cripes:

Soon there will be! And I'll be the most fashion sunshine boy!!!!!!!!!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

Don't listen to this honkey.

Dalian is pretty nice. I lived there for a little less than two months and it was nice then, anyway. It's by the ocean, the pollution wasn't too bad, it's relatively inexpensive, and you can get super legit/good korean food there. I'd prefer to live in Yantai in Shandong which is right across the bay, but Dalian is a pretty OK tier 2 city.

I wasn't shitposting, I think the word decent could mean like a million things, just thought the person may ask more specific questions about what they are looking for.

I love my aunt dearly for a billion reasons, but one is every time I come back to the States and end up in San Diego, she and I go out for lunch or dinner and she has a list of specific questions about China, other places I've traveled and/or my thoughts and ideas about stuff. I love meeting up with her for this, because a lot of my friends go "How's China" and I say "Good" and they say "Cool, anything else?" and I say "Not really" because how do you even start to answer broad questions seriously?

Though I guess you did a pretty good job talking about Dalian if those things are important to the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Now teaching is in line with every other industry in China that wants to hire foreigners. The 2 year thing for teaching was specific to teaching....

Actually, the reverse, according to this article.

cri.cn posted:

Bachelor's degree or above with at least two years of relevant work experience. Teaching requires at least five years of relevant experience.

Teaching now has higher requirements for experience than other areas of employment, when applying for a visa in Beijing.