Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

homullus posted:

The reasons it is smart to Kickstart a new thing before your previous one is out are . . .?

To keep your design team employed while the production team is finishing the first one is a very good reason, but I've no idea if it applies here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Kerzoro posted:

Yeah, they are pretty cool-looking and the vehicles look sweet, and as an ork player in 40k I'm pretty much tempted, but uuuuugh weird point systems.

I could do without the point system, and things look pretty expensive once you sort through it, but I am tempted by some of the vehicles. Especially the biped tanks, though they've only shown concept art for those and as far as I can tell haven't put up prices for 'em.

I'll be considering it, but the prices are pretty high. Hrm.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 16, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

homullus posted:

It looks awesome, but Iron Edda (the previous KS) isn't even out yet. The reasons it is smart to Kickstart a new thing before your previous one is out are . . .?

There are smart reasons, like wanting to keep a creative team together and funded, your previous kickstarter is practically done and just waiting on fulfillment or other things...

... and there are bad reasons like "our funding was mishandled and we're really hoping to make up the difference with another kickstarter".

I have no idea which ones are involved here.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

homullus posted:

It looks awesome, but Iron Edda (the previous KS) isn't even out yet. The reasons it is smart to Kickstart a new thing before your previous one is out are . . .?

To be fair, the pdf's for the FATE version of Iron Edda are out in the wild (I got my copy at least). So I'd bet this is just a case of continuing employment of designers.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I recognize that established game companies are in the "sometimes we make great games, sometimes we make products" business. I think it is risky indeed for a newish company to start trading on its earlier reputation and start churning out stuff just to pay the bills, so I hope that's not the case here. "Everything WE can do is done for the previous project, so we're on to the next project WE can work on" makes a lot of sense to me, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just a reminder that the Feng Shui 2 kickstarter is launching tomorrow. :dance:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Also a reminder that goblin quest has 16 hours left. Lots of stetch goal reached so lots of variants with your game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gshowitt/goblin-quest-a-tabletop-rpg-of-fatal-ineptitude

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Little_wh0re posted:

Also a reminder that goblin quest has 16 hours left. Lots of stetch goal reached so lots of variants with your game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gshowitt/goblin-quest-a-tabletop-rpg-of-fatal-ineptitude

Now I shall pledge because I am guaranteed Sean Bean quest.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CaptCommy posted:

To be fair, the pdf's for the FATE version of Iron Edda are out in the wild (I got my copy at least). So I'd bet this is just a case of continuing employment of designers.

Yea I got my FATE version too, they're probably just keeping their people working.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh sweet sweet bullet carnage. It has been so long.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Little_wh0re posted:

If you motherfuckers don't vote for Regency Ladies I will flip out.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Backed that at the softcover level, so I can watch it and my softcover KAMB duke it out in utterly feckless fashion.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh yes. I can't wait for my wallet to suffer Heroic Bloodshed. :tfrxmas:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Evil Mastermind posted:

:stare: That's the sound of all of the money rushing out of my bank account.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Radish posted:

If you motherfuckers don't vote for Regency Ladies I will flip out.

Definitely. Bennett Quest is the best quest.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
So my copy of Xia: Legends of a Drift System arrived today (90 updates later - the creator really knows how to run a communicative Kickstarter). Has anyone had a chance to try it?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

As a palette cleanser from the Chat thread, here's some TG crowdfunding projects that I'm following.

Presented without comment, the introductory-set Traveller project, Liftoff !

A forums favorite, Spirit of '77 is past $24k.

A project we all hope turns out a great set of PbtA Cyberpunk rules, The Sprawl might not hit its second set of stretch goals, to do a Shadowrun-esque supplement.

I'm mainly a fan of Breakfast Kult because i want The Field Trip of Unknown Kadath to be a real TG product.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mllaneza posted:

I'm mainly a fan of Breakfast Cult because i want The Field Trip of Unknown Kadath to be a real TG product.

Not that long to go! Plus that way I get a new writing job.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

mllaneza posted:

Presented without comment, the introductory-set Traveller project, Liftoff !

For half a second I thought this was your PbtA Sci-fi game based loosely on Traveller and got excited. :argh:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For half a second I thought this was your PbtA Sci-fi game based loosely on Traveller and got excited. :argh:

Look at the numbers again. There's no excitement there. The current Traveller project I'm working on will do better; blowing up spaceships is always cool.

Late 2015 can't come soon enough.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I read that Kickstarter just launched in a bunch more countries today. Hopefully that will allow more people to launch cool projects.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

mllaneza posted:

I'm mainly a fan of Breakfast Cult because i want The Field Trip of Unknown Kadath to be a real TG product.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Not that long to go! Plus that way I get a new writing job.

I also talked Mikan into helping with the $11K stretch goal. We have less than 10 days to go, so if anyone has friends who'd be interested in this or like some of BCult's inspirations, now would be a great time to spread the word! :buddy:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

So my copy of Xia: Legends of a Drift System arrived today (90 updates later - the creator really knows how to run a communicative Kickstarter). Has anyone had a chance to try it?

I don't think the boat with mine on it has even hit shore yet. Pretty sure you are on the early end of things. :) Let us know how it plays.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

King Burgundy posted:

I don't think the boat with mine on it has even hit shore yet. Pretty sure you are on the early end of things. :) Let us know how it plays.

I will if I can find the time/players! It's a relatively wordy rulebook, so I haven't had the chance to digest it yet.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

I read that Kickstarter just launched in a bunch more countries today. Hopefully that will allow more people to launch cool projects.

Probably not, since Kickstarters not in USD still pull in something like 40% or less of what USD Kickstarters make, IIRC. It will probably allow them to launch cool new projects that then fail, though!

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Feng Shui 2 KS is live

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasgames/feng-shui-2-action-movie-roleplaying-game-by-robin

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

And just about backed. It was put up *10 minutes ago* by the way, and it's $5,000/$8,000.

EDIT: And funded in 20 minutes. :stare:

Spincut fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 18, 2014

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Spincut posted:

And just about backed. It was put up *10 minutes ago* by the way, and it's $5,000/$8,000.

*grumbles* I'd go for the full book if shipping didn't add 50% to the cost.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Spincut posted:

Stretch goal 1 hit. I just wish they had a visual pledge/reward chart. I look at the various tier names and my eyes cross. Seeing it visually would help with knowing how much to pledge.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Backed so hard. And yeah, those stretch goals are gonna get blown away like a handful of mooks, and juding by their pictures, they were clearly planning the book to be in color from the beginning (the stretch goal archetypes were in the playtest docs too).

Right now I'm debating on getting the pdf packs. Pack 1 is obvious, but all I'm missing from pack 2 is blowing up Hong Kong and In Your Face Agan.

Oh and Krabkolash:

quote:

Creator Atlas Games 4 minutes ago

NOTE: The Sifu leve should reference the GOLDEN MONK level, not the SILVER MONK level. We'll get that corrected tomorrow, and are ABSOLUTELY going to do a Backer Rewards chart.

prsntdrkns
Jun 3, 2007
Hey everyone! I wanted to share the link to a Kickstarter that my brother just launched today.

It's a dice game called Monkeys with Knives and Guns!

Here's the description:

In Monkeys with Knives and Guns, players take control of a band of armed monkeys trying to gather bananas. Each die represents a monkey. All of the players roll dice at the same time, and then determine which monkeys grab a banana, kill opposing monkeys, or horribly injure themselves with their deadly weapons. The player with the most bananas at the end of the game wins!

[https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackballgames/monkeys-with-knives-and-guns/description]

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Since I don't see the rules anywhere, is the game just...rolling dice? Even zombie dice has at least ONE decision (do I roll the dice?), which seems like one more than this game has.

Also why is "Add $5 for shipping within the US" even part of your tier? It would make sense if you were from outside the US, but you're not. $25 also seems like an awful lot for a bunch of dice, some banana tokens, and a rule sheet.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

prsntdrkns posted:

Hey everyone! I wanted to share the link to a Kickstarter that my brother just launched today.

Here's the description:

In Monkeys with Knives and Guns, players take control of a band of armed monkeys trying to gather bananas. Each die represents a monkey. All of the players roll dice at the same time, and then determine which monkeys grab a banana, kill opposing monkeys, or horribly injure themselves with their deadly weapons. The player with the most bananas at the end of the game wins!

[https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackballgames/monkeys-with-knives-and-guns/description]

Are those really just D6s with monkeys instead of numbers? Like, each dice has 6 different monkey types and is functionally identical to a D6?

GrandpaPants posted:

Since I don't see the rules anywhere, is the game just...rolling dice? Even zombie dice has at least ONE decision (do I roll the dice?), which seems like one more than this game has.

Also why is "Add $5 for shipping within the US" even part of your tier? It would make sense if you were from outside the US, but you're not. $25 also seems like an awful lot for a bunch of dice, some banana tokens, and a rule sheet.

Looks like you get to decide who to shoot/stab, i.e. which of your opponents is completely eliminated from the game fastest.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

prsntdrkns posted:

Here's the description:

Yeah, the gameplay doesn't look particularly ... tactical. I tried to make out as many of the rules as I could, by zooming in the image. And I didn't see any choices beyond "which monkey should you stab/shoot?" (ones with two bananas, or ones from the winning player) or "who do you steal a banana from?" (the winning player, or whoever stole one from you.)

I mean, the name almost sells the game, but the game un-sells me immediately.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

prsntdrkns posted:

Here's the description:

quote:

There have been 26 posts made by prsntdrkns, an average of 0.01 posts per day, since registering on Jun 3, 2007.

Thanks for stopping by! :frogout:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Fellis posted:

Thanks for stopping by! :frogout:

When did TG become Goonfleet?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Don't mind him, its just an escapee from the imp zone.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's been noted a couple times in the KS comments, but Feng Shui 2's Crazy Pack 2 is exactly those PDFs that were in the Feng Shui Bundle of Holding, so if you bought that, no need to do CP2.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Bucnasti posted:

When did TG become Goonfleet?

Its not, i just think its lovely for a dude to driveby shill his brothers poo poo kickstarter here?

Eh, that was a pretty bad post though, I was just pissy last night and felt like dogpiling.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Don't mind him, its just an escapee from the imp zone.

you're a bitch bodak

Fellis fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Fellis posted:

you're a bitch

Here in Trad Games the correct term is "bodak".

• Locked thread