Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

:eng101: Pork isn't red meat

What's with today's kids being picky eaters and gluten-intolerant? I was raised on PBJ sandwiches and bologna sandwiches. We ate slices of bread/butter with almost every dinner.

Not like something? You sat there at the dinner table and you loving ate it, or fell asleep.

I think the only thing my mom quit making was spinach (microwaved, canned, yuck) because I hated it. But now I eat loving entire cans of it because I know how to cook it.

:corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Honestly, though, I kind of agree.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

In my opinion, punishing kids for picky eating is more likely to result in some kind of food behavioral problems later in life than letting them assert some tiny amount of personal agency with regard to the pile of greyish muck on their plate. I mean yeah, if they're over two and refuse to eat anything besides chicken fingers and potato chips you need to find some way to incentivise a broader diet, but taking a disciplinary approach isn't likely to have positive effects long-term.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Your parents didn't have one of these on the fridge?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love onions so loving much that if it was socially acceptable I'd eat them like apples. Onions make the world go round.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

Your parents didn't have one of these on the fridge?

My parents rotated between the same four meals my whole childhood because my dad is an extremely picky eater. Also, any trace of pink in meat meant it was raw and had to be cooked for at least another 20 minutes.

I guess it wasn't an issue because every meal tasted the same.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

contrapants posted:

My parents rotated between the same four meals my whole childhood

Same here. Meatballs/meatloaf, hamburger helper, Prego spaghetti, banquet salisbury steak, boiled potatoes, microwaved canned green beans, tacos, fried pork chops. That's the extent of my mom's cooking.

contrapants posted:

Also, any trace of pink in meat meant it was raw and had to be cooked for at least another 20 minutes.

Same here. I didn't realize meat wasn't shoe leather until I was like 20.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bartolimu posted:

In my opinion, punishing kids for picky eating is more likely to result in some kind of food behavioral problems later in life than letting them assert some tiny amount of personal agency with regard to the pile of greyish muck on their plate. I mean yeah, if they're over two and refuse to eat anything besides chicken fingers and potato chips you need to find some way to incentivise a broader diet, but taking a disciplinary approach isn't likely to have positive effects long-term.

My kid never had a chance to become a picky eater because I wouldn't let him, just as my parents did to myself and my siblings, and my grandparents before them. In many ways, this is born from the history of immigrant families, marginalized people, and the idea that you should be thankful for any food at all, let alone good food. I was lucky though, as was my family down through the ages, that the food we've had no choice to eat growing up was really good. It's turned out well because now my boy bugs me when we're getting low on kimchee and is always trying to get us to go to his favourite Basque joint in Carson City because they have his favourite blood sausage.

The Midniter posted:

I love onions so loving much that if it was socially acceptable I'd eat them like apples. Onions make the world go round.

You can do this but it makes people think you're an alcoholic.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

Same here. Meatballs/meatloaf, hamburger helper, Prego spaghetti, banquet salisbury steak, boiled potatoes, microwaved canned green beans, tacos, fried pork chops. That's the extent of my mom's cooking.

Same here. I didn't realize meat wasn't shoe leather until I was like 20.

:smith::hf::smith:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You can do this but it makes people think you're an alcoholic.

I eat carrots at my desk every so often, and a coworker thinks I'm a moron. According to him, carrots aren't edible and will make you sick before you cook them. If I ate a raw onion, he might call poison control.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
The bf takes his kid to the market and lets him pick his food, then they cook together. He's not a picky eater.
That said, he dislikes pancakes, so maybe he's just weird.

my mom wasn't a bad cook, but she nearly had a heartattack every time I entered the kitchen, and I'm suspecting that that made me a picky eater until about ten years ago.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Here's the whole report, pretty damning:

http://shareholdersfordarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Transforming-Darden.pdf

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I saw a map of the world infographic of picky eating/selective eating disorder density vs country and it was the best thing ever. I think it was in here but I can't find it. Basically only america and western europe has this problem. Anyone know where that graphic is?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

paraquat posted:

The bf takes his kid to the market and lets him pick his food, then they cook together. He's not a picky eater.
That said, he dislikes pancakes, so maybe he's just weird.
I used to be ambivalent toward pancakes, because they always had a weird, kind of bitter taste to me. I mean, I'd eat them, but it was always someone else's idea to make them. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized it was only the "pancake mix" pancakes that taste like that, and if I make pancakes from scratch they taste fine. But I still prefer french toast or waffles over pancakes.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

bombhand posted:

I used to be ambivalent toward pancakes, because they always had a weird, kind of bitter taste to me. I mean, I'd eat them, but it was always someone else's idea to make them. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized it was only the "pancake mix" pancakes that taste like that, and if I make pancakes from scratch they taste fine. But I still prefer french toast or waffles over pancakes.

I don't think he ever tasted pancakes from a store bought mix, so that makes him weird....sounds legit :-D

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

If you're looking for actual food commentary, skip to page 101.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

paraquat posted:

I don't think he ever tasted pancakes from a store bought mix, so that makes him weird....sounds legit :-D

I like Kodiak Cakes pancake mix, if you're lucky your local stores carry it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bombhand posted:

pancakes are fine but crepes are way better

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Any batter based vector for getting warm Nutella/lemon&sugar into my maw is the best.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Each has its time and place.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

My grandmother would do this sometimes.

I will admit to the occasional "onion, mustard, and rye bread" sandwich.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

No way, it's all about pancakes thick enough that they're still a bit gooey on the inside... can't get that with crepes.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

bunnielab posted:

My grandmother would do this sometimes.

I will admit to the occasional "onion, mustard, and rye bread" sandwich.

Yesssssss. In my case, I'll do bread fried in olive oil (rye with seeds, please) and raw slices of onion. And sometimes when I'm feeling very antisocial, I'll rub the bread with garlic.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Anybody offended by garlic breath isn't worth knowing.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
All this talk about onions, and nothing about OMG MY EYES ARE BURNING? I've tried all the tricks, they don't work...

I like onions as long as they're cooked, and cook with them occasionally when I feel they're really vital to the dish, but I don't throw them in everything because of the burning, and the stinging, and the crying.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

toe knee hand posted:

All this talk about onions, and nothing about OMG MY EYES ARE BURNING? I've tried all the tricks, they don't work...

I like onions as long as they're cooked, and cook with them occasionally when I feel they're really vital to the dish, but I don't throw them in everything because of the burning, and the stinging, and the crying.

Sharper knife helps a ton. The fewer cell walls you break the better. Also being faster helps, too. I only start crying after mincing 5 or more onions now, which means if I'm just casual weeknight cooking I never cry anymore.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

toe knee hand posted:

The only thing that has helped me was wearing contacts. You need something actually covering your eyeballs. You could also try swim goggles and look like a gigantic dork

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Or you could just become more hardcore and

:dealwithit:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I peeled and ate a cactus pear tonight. After taking a huge bite, I learned that they have a lot of very hard seeds.

I'll stick with watermelon.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sharper knife helps a ton. The fewer cell walls you break the better. Also being faster helps, too. I only start crying after mincing 5 or more onions now, which means if I'm just casual weeknight cooking I never cry anymore.

Pretty much this. I only ever cry when I'm cutting a shitload of onions for like thanksgiving or christmas when it's gonna be food for a big group.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

contrapants posted:

I peeled and ate a cactus pear tonight. After taking a huge bite, I learned that they have a lot of very hard seeds.

I'll stick with watermelon.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Or you could just become more hardcore and

:dealwithit:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

After a while, I said, "gently caress it," and ate the seeds. :black101:

I just don't think it's worth the hassle, and watermelon is cheaper.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Prickly pears are best when you juice them and turn them into syrup, jam, jelly, aguas frescas, or anything else to do with the juice. They have a nice tart character that goes really well with pineapple.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, my grandma made really great prickly pear jam and candy and what not.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

toe knee hand posted:

It's weird, I used to cry a lot when cutting onions, but I've gone through like a year period where I didn't cry from onions. The last few I've chopped up have really teared me up though. It must have been that old house or the onions I was buying, I wish I knew so I could spread the word of cryless onions. I find it kind of like the burn from peppers, it sure hurts but afterwards it's a bit cathartic.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Other than having a nice sharp blade to slice your onions with, there's another very simple solution: vinegar. Take some vinegar (I like apple cider because it smells nicer than white), get a bit of paper towel nice and wet, and wipe down your cutting board and your knife. Wipe down your blade every few cuts. Might not be worth it if your'e just doing one, but if you're mandolining 8 pounds of onions for a huge dutch oven of french onion soup like I do, vinegar is essential so you don't make your 600 sq ft apartment unlivable for the next hour or more.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's the worst part of fresh out the ground onions for me. They're so delicious and yet so hard to handle without tearing up. It's only gotten worse over the years as I've become better at cutting onions.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Chemmy posted:

Anybody offended by garlic breath isn't worth knowing.

This! Also, using copious amounts of fresh garlic with the core removed doesn't leave you with a rank garlic breath, rather a garlic breath that proves you are a lover of all things good in life. I rejoice at the smell of garlic breath, because it means that people choose to enjoy life.

Now I want garlic.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Eeyo posted:

It's weird, I used to cry a lot when cutting onions, but I've gone through like a year period where I didn't cry from onions.

This happened to me too, always had burning eyes, but not since about 6-8 years now.

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that the onions I buy are older then the ones I used to get (actually, they suck)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Eeyo posted:

No way, it's all about pancakes thick enough that they're still a bit gooey on the inside... can't get that with crepes.

All pancakes deserve love and affection, from fluffy finger-thick apple pancakes down to their crisp-edged superthin cousins for rolling stuff up in. (I like to use lingonberries.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

All pancakes deserve love and affection, from fluffy finger-thick apple pancakes down to their crisp-edged superthin cousins for rolling stuff up in. (I like to use lingonberries.)

Amen. Testify!