Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I realize this but I don't wanna pirate games. I can still play both on Vita so it's not a big deal, I'd just like to have them on PC because eventually they'll release a new handheld that can't play them or mine will break.

If you have the game you can always rip the game from your UMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What are some of the better free to play MMOS on Steam right now?

Also, I was trying to play Cave Story. Is there a way to modify the controls to it, or play it with a controller?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

It's not currently on steam but it will be when it comes back out, so keep a look out for Dungeon Fighter Online when it finally comes back

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Quest For Glory II posted:

I want Capcom to announce Ace Attorney Trilogy for Steam at TGS, come on Cappy.

As long as it ain't that horrible rear end Ipad port one.

That one was terrible.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shindragon posted:

As long as it ain't that horrible rear end Ipad port one.

That one was terrible.
They've got a 3DS version coming that's apparently better.

I also wouldn't mind Ace Attorney 5 on PC because the iOS version of that is apparently a very good port. C'mon Capcom, PC gamers are into the VN scene now. Throw 'em a bone.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Runers is really really good and also really really hard.

A+ Would buy again.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the consensus on Always Sometimes Monsters? It looks interesting, but the reviews are a bit split on it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Are there any good websites that report on the weirder indy arthouse games? Stuff like Gone home or Dear Ester? (Maybe not Dear Ester, that sucked)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone post that Max Payne 2 theme

oh my goddd

frank.club fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 17, 2014

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, I was trying to play Cave Story. Is there a way to modify the controls to it, or play it with a controller?

I'm pretty sure I played it on a controller without any extra work. I recall just plugging it in and turning the game on.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Acquire Currency! posted:

Someone post that Max Payne 2 theme

oh my goddd

Mmmm, Cello Noir. :allears:

Definitely better than the piano version, though thats like saying Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream is better than Chocolate Ice Cream (or whatever flavors you prefer).

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Mmmm, Cello Noir. :allears:

Definitely better than the piano version, though thats like saying Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream is better than Chocolate Ice Cream (or whatever flavors you prefer).

It's so good that Health just did it note for note in 3. It can't be done better

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

FF13 trilogy is coming to steam, apparently.

13 itself kind of blows but 2 and LR are pretty fun.

source:http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/FF13_Portal/

I assume those squiggly lines next to PLAYSTATION 3 and XBOX 360 mean PC?

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Mortimer posted:

No, they mean something about popularity and "Now on Sale!" for the PS3/360.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Ibram Gaunt posted:

13 vs 13-2, which would be the best one to experience the battle system everyone says is good for the first time
(and how often are there sales on square games that would include things as high profile as these)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mortimer posted:

i think the large steam logo means pc

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Warframe.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think he might mean more traditional WoW/Everquest style MMOs. That said, Warframe is pretty fun in moderate doses.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

BigRed0427 posted:

in the options there's a controls option with a controller: keyboard option inside. change that.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Fair warning that all 3 of these games run on the Crystal Tools engine, which was used to make the first version of FFXIV. The version that ran like hot garbage on PC. And development of the engine was an absolute trainwreck, so don't expect a quality port.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Cathair posted:

I just wish there was an option to play with the enemy stats and other benefits of Normal, but with the full AI of Classic and above. The restricted AI is what becomes boring the quickest on Normal and also the single biggest obstacle to transitioning to harder modes, since it will allow you to do dumb things with fewer repercussions.

The Long War mod on the easiest difficulty pretty much fills this niche, and gives you a lot more toys to play with as well. Be prepared to look up info/advice on a few obtuse new mechanics, but the mod's few downsides really aren't bad unless you're playing on higher difficulties.

You can get a mod called Clormal (Classic/Normal) that does exactly that, by the same goon that make the more popular Impclassic (Classice difficulty with Impossible sized alien pods) It should be finable in the XCOM thread or possibly on Nexus mods.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
When the gently caress is Dragon Quest gonna get something on Steam so fans of it can prove they exist without buying phone ports?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I started playing Castle of Illusion but I can't get over the shabby controls. It's not clear where the hitboxes of enemies actually start and I find myself losing life because of this and it's annoying. I'll pass on this one.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Palpek posted:

I started playing Castle of Illusion but I can't get over the shabby controls. It's not clear where the hitboxes of enemies actually start and I find myself losing life because of this and it's annoying. I'll pass on this one.

It's really disappointing that after the stellar rerelease of Duck Tales that Castle of Illusion just dropped the ball completely. Really goes to show the difference between a developer making something out of love and a developer making something for money.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I bought Ether One recently and I'm looking forward to playing it. My stance on walking sims is still the same-- some games would be better as walking sims than with the gameplay/combat they were saddled with :shrug: Bioshock Infinite and Fallout 3 are examples for me. I just preferred exploring to the shooting. I don't begrudge anyone for having a different opinion though.

e: Remember Me would probably be better without the combat too, I love the memory remixing, it feels like a Phoenix Wright gameplay system and now I want a Phoenix Wright game with this concept

A few pages back, but I think you'll like Ether One. It has a few mis-steps on some puzzles, but holistically it's one of the better narrative games I've played in the past few years. I'm a big fan.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

BigRed0427 posted:

For traditional MMORPGS Rift is a pretty good free to play WoW-like. Lord of the Rings: Online is free these days and good. Some people like Neverwinter though I never got over the fact that the cleric weapon is a drat mirror.

Planetside 2 is a good MMOFPS if that's your thing and Defiance is a 3rd person shooty/RPG hybrid that's surprisingly good despite going from a pay model to a F2P one in no time at all.

Does it have to be on Steam? Star Wars: The Old Republic is F2P and is pretty good too.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition is coming out next month:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/262000/

One of the finest point and click adventure games. Sad that the stellar voice acting cast had to be redone, but the voices in the trailer actually don't sound too bad; they tried to emulate the original style. I will honestly miss the narrator most of all, she had a ton of character. There are apparently a few new locations and puzzles, too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've now started on Black Flag and Outlast. Black Flag does not run super great on my PC that runs most things pretty well, although I may be able to turn some poo poo off to help. Ubisoft doesn't really seem to optimize their games.

Outlast is cool EXCEPT FOR the obnoxious jump scares. The game's already creepy and unsettling, the jump scares are like someone shouting BOO at you. I just want to shout "..AND?!" every time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In JRPG news, Final Fantasy 4 has been rated for the PC by PEGI (it'll probably be based off the 3D remake for DS and mobile, like FF3) and both the Japanese and English websites for Final Fantasy 13 are hinting at a Steam port of some kind.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Great. FF4 was my absolute favorite game as a kid. I'd love to see an updated version.

vvv I meant on the PC. I don't really play on any other platform anymore.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 17, 2014

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Darkhold posted:

Great. FF4 was my absolute favorite game as a kid. I'd love to see an updated version.

It's been updated like 5 different times now.
I'd much rather have Dragon Quest VIII or something on PC than a trilogy of games I hated and a game I've played way too many times already because Japan has a FF7 level of fascination with it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's been updated like 5 different times now.
I'd much rather have Dragon Quest VIII or something on PC than a trilogy of games I hated and a game I've played way too many times already because Japan has a FF7 level of fascination with it.

Unlikely. DQ8 was a PS2 exclusive while the rest of the games being ported to PC were in some way designed to be run on PC. A PC port of DQ8 would be much harder to do.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Unlikely. DQ8 was a PS2 exclusive while the rest of the games being ported to PC were in some way designed to be run on PC. A PC port of DQ8 would be much harder to do.

Dragon Quest 8 got ported to mobile recently though and the Final Fantasy 3 port on PC is a port of the mobile version.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lance Streetman posted:

A PC port of DQ8 would be much harder to do.

It did get ported to Unity for Android/iOS. Which is..not indicative in any way at all, but it's something.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lance Streetman posted:

Fair warning that all 3 of these games run on the Crystal Tools engine, which was used to make the first version of FFXIV. The version that ran like hot garbage on PC. And development of the engine was an absolute trainwreck, so don't expect a quality port.

Yeah, but then the original FFXIV was made by idiots. Environmental details like potted plants had as many polygons as player characters, and that engine wasn't built to handle an MMO.

While I don't doubt that the ports of these games could be garbage, I probably wouldn't take FFXIV as an indicator of their quality.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

It did get ported to Unity for Android/iOS. Which is..not indicative in any way at all, but it's something.

Sadly it lacks the amazing voices of the western PS2 release.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mokinokaro posted:

Sadly it lacks the amazing voices of the western PS2 release.

And the orchestrated music.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

When the gently caress is Dragon Quest gonna get something on Steam so fans of it can prove they exist without buying phone ports?

Dragon Quest doesn't even get translated for actual consoles/handhelds anymore so probably not any time soon.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Before the Max Payne talk disappears totally. Max Payne 1 had a GBA port :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsG-VUYUhQw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13qAB4qBI7s&t=934s
All of the graphic novel with the voice work was in it. It didn't have the Baby levels in it (and some others were chopped out too). I want to see a 3DS port of MP3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rheya
Mar 30, 2010
Hey,

I was trying to play through Saints Row: The Third with a friend in Co-Op but it turned out our versions are incompatible due to me (living in and) having the German Cut Version of the game.
We've been trying to come up with solutions on how to fix it, like them buying it again and gifting it to me but I'm not sure how Steam works with gifts of games you already technically sort of own? Or me gifting it to them and then possibly playing the Cut Version together which wouldn't really bother us either way.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a solution to that problem (we both already have the game activated on our respective accounts with incompatible versions as mentioned).

• Locked thread