Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
How are you even supposed to control this with just one propeller on top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Everything on indiegogo is a scam...

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Oh lord, in the comments section the idea guy says that one of their priority right now is a function like "go back home automatically if loosing connection".

What about one of your priority being showing a working prototype?

These guys are really selling dreams to gullible idiots.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They would be working for DARPA if they could produce a working prototype.

Omghaiwtfaslplzkthx.
I think Lowtax should review that piece of poo poo gender bender twist extreme whatever game.

It's a shitton worse than Air Control.

Air control is a masterpiece compared to it.

*edit: on second thought they'd probably like that, cancel that request.

posty has a new favorite as of 11:59 on Sep 17, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Virtual reality has never been so mobile! Strap your iPad to your face and experience full immersion!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/768618350/airvr-virtual-reality-for-ios

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Virtual reality has never been so mobile! Strap your iPad to your face and experience full immersion!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm not saying you should punch people's ipad's directly into their dumb faces but

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The biggest lie cyberpunk ever sold us is that any of this would ever look cool.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
To be fair, it was the 80s/early 90s. What people thought looked cool then...

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

My eyes ache just thinking of looking at a screen that close to my face for any period of time longer than a few seconds.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

The biggest lie cyberpunk ever sold us is that any of this would ever look cool.

I was promised invasive biomods and trenchcoats. All we got was beveled edges and fiberglass. This future sucks

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rosalind posted:

My eyes ache just thinking of looking at a screen that close to my face for any period of time longer than a few seconds.

it's got bigass lenses that do most of the work, in terms of your own eyes lenses it's more like looking at a screen a normal distance away. Still makes you look like an absolute prick though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fatkraken posted:

it's got bigass lenses that do most of the work, in terms of your own eyes lenses it's more like looking at a screen a normal distance away. Still makes you look like an absolute prick though

Yeah, I'm having to learn to suppress my giggle reaction when there are a dozen people around me wearing Rifts and waving their heads around like Stevie Wonder.

It's too bad, too, because putting on a headset and playing a game or something would be a great way to kill time on a flight. The VR cinema thing on the Gear VR really is a great way to watch a movie.

(This iPad thing seems like a recipe for vomiting, since the screens aren't low persistence and I think the movement sensors are pretty high latency.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
On the one hand, it isn't made out of cardboard and tape like Google's thing.

On the other hand,

Eh.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

They made very sure that when you wear this abomination everyone will know its an iPad you have strapped to your face. This is the smuggest digital device yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrAptronym posted:

They made very sure that when you wear this abomination everyone will know its an iPad you have strapped to your face. This is the smuggest digital device yet.

:rolleyes:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It looks like they were trying to depict a coaxial rotor setup without thinking about how they'll make the mechanics work at that scale.

Plus it seems they've got some stiff competition for "world's smallest":

http://www.helipal.com/walkera-qr-ladybird-fpv-2-4ghz-green-edition.html?gclid=CJDRrKa56cACFQQQ7AodFzcAtg

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Televisiiiooooooon... Ruuuuules the nation...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

It looks like they were trying to depict a coaxial rotor setup without thinking about how they'll make the mechanics work at that scale.

To be totally honest, a lot of $35 mall kiosk RC helicopters approach a scale not enormously far from that (a main body a little bit smaller than a large smartphone, not counting rotors) and have coaxial rotors. I bought one in China that even works with my iPhone.

It's not unreasonable to think that you couldn't build a far more expensive version with a built-in camera and rough autopilot like the brand new Parrot drone.

Of course, it would never have that form factor, it would never fly remotely as high as the promo video seems to suggest, and its battery life would probably be in the >3 minute range, so...

Paladinus posted:

All obvious jokes aside, I really struggle to see how this is so egregious or even unfeasible to do.

Google Cardboard is essentially the same concept, except that it's a DIY kit and you've got a Samsung GS5 strapped to your head instead. Hell, even DodoCase has their own cross-platform version.

With the right lenses and software, it's not unreasonable to think that a bigger tablet screen couldn't be used to give a bigger FOV and immersion effect.

I mean, sure don't wear it outside but it's not that offensive to me.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

don't forget to strap a potty to your butt

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Well, it's official, Neal Stephenson's 500k kickstarter is officially dead. 500k to come up with the conclusion that "it wasn't very fun to play."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/19/6531001/neal-stephenson-swordfighting-game-is-officially-dead

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I'm so glad I backed Pathologic.

edit: wrong thread. pathologic is good after all

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
"The game industry was too shortsighted to appreciate our amazing game. Also, it required a nonexistent and complicated controller. And it wasn't any fun. But, publishers! :argh:"

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ks updated their terms and conditions regarding what is an acceptable project. Anyone know what's new?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
So it seems Indiegogo is going to experiment with allowing campaigns with no set end date:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/17/indiegogo-forever-funding/

This would be a pretty intriguing concept if it weren't coming from a site which has explicitly stopped giving a gently caress about overt scams.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
"look at how much money we could have made if we allowed star citizen to be funded beyond the campaign end date..."

e: I just got Kickstarter and Indiegogo mixed up.

Explosive Tampons has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Sep 20, 2014

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Cockmaster posted:

So it seems Indiegogo is going to experiment with allowing campaigns with no set end date:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/17/indiegogo-forever-funding/

This would be a pretty intriguing concept if it weren't coming from a site which has explicitly stopped giving a gently caress about overt scams.

So they're trying to be Patreon?

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Yes but with a dumber name

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fauxtool posted:

Ks updated their terms and conditions regarding what is an acceptable project. Anyone know what's new?

According to the Kickstarter blog post about the update:

quote:

So what’s different? To begin with, we simplified the language, subtracted lots of legal jargon, and made the terms as straightforward and to-the-point as we could. We encourage you to read the full update here.

We also added a detailed outline of what’s expected from everyone involved in a project. For the overwhelming majority of projects, it’s pretty simple: creators finish the work they planned, backers are happy, and nobody sweats the details. But there are exceptions. Sometimes problems come up, projects don’t go according to plan, and people wind up in the dark about what’s supposed to happen next. So we’re spelling it out — what’s expected from backers, what’s expected from creators, and what needs to happen if a project runs into trouble.

It looks like the main change is this section:

quote:

When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. Once a creator has done so, they’ve satisfied their obligation to their backers.

Throughout the process, creators owe their backers a high standard of effort, honest communication, and a dedication to bringing the project to life. At the same time, backers must understand that when they back a project, they’re helping to create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There may be changes or delays, and there’s a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from being able to finish the project as promised.

If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards, they’ve failed to live up to the basic obligations of this agreement. To right this, they must make every reasonable effort to find another way of bringing the project to the best possible conclusion for backers. A creator in this position has only remedied the situation and met their obligations to backers if:

- they post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned;
- they work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe that’s communicated to backers;
- they’re able to demonstrate that they’ve used funds appropriately and made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised;
- they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; and
- they offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.

The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Otisburg posted:

I'm the donut mouth.

He never recovered from Superman 64. :(

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The difference is now Kickstarter is breaking their silence on projects that don't do what they say will and saying they should do what they say they will

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

The difference is now Kickstarter is breaking their silence on projects that don't do what they say will and saying they should do what they say they will

They're not going as far as to take any responsibility themselves if the creators don't complete their projects and/or send out the pledge rewards but they vaguely mentioned "they may be subject to legal action by backers" which is at least a step up from their previous stance of "Eh, you win some you lose some, caveat emptor."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Soon they'll step it up to "hey you guys should probably get a lawyer or something"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're not going as far as to take any responsibility themselves if the creators don't complete their projects and/or send out the pledge rewards but they vaguely mentioned "they may be subject to legal action by backers" which is at least a step up from their previous stance of "Eh, you win some you lose some, caveat emptor."

Kickstarter's trying to distance itself from any sort of liability as the means by which said funding was possible because of incidents like this:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...o-deliver.shtml

On one hand, Kickstarter's part of the same parasite economy that Uber and AirBnB take part in, risking little to nothing and gaining a lot through others, but they've made it possible for things like Wasteland and Shadowrun to get new games that wouldn't have happened otherwise since they aren't going to sell millions of copies and so big publishers won't give them the time of day.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There's also that Kickstarter isn't wildly illegal

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Fraud is still illegal. It just requires more legwork on the part of more people in this case.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alan Smithee posted:

Fraud is still illegal. It just requires more legwork on the part of more people in this case.

What I mean is that operating for airbnb or uber is more often than not completely illegal. Kickstarter isn't natively illegal like that.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

neongrey posted:

To be fair, it was the 80s/early 90s. What people thought looked cool then...

:smith: I thought 80s cyber punk looked really neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1673957641/free-energy

Nikola Tesla is mentioned of course, and he can't reveal the details because otherwise it would be stolen but it's definitely really working. You know he's serious because it's ALL IN CAPS.