Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ShadowMoo posted:

Is Naruto shippuden worth watching? Never touched it and I finished off the original series a long rear end time ago.

No, play the Ninja Storm games instead if you really want to see ninja fights animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

ShadowMoo posted:

Looking for 'general lack of common sense' i.e. Kyousougiga, FLCL. Epic i.e. Gurren Lagan, or psychological i.e. Lain, Psycho-Pass. Any tips?

Edit: Found a bunch on the wiki yay.

The answer is always Cat Soup.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Hare+Guu is... well it is something. Thanks for recommending it.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
I personally think Naruto (and Shippuden) is worth a watch as long as you avoid most of the fillers and can forgive the sometimes glacial pace.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Paperhouse posted:

I'm hankering after some good cyberpunk thing to watch. In my stupid head I'm imagining a cross between Akira, Serial Experiments Lain and Blade Runner. I know this doesn't exist, but what is there that's close-ish? Bonus points for being atmospheric

Heat Guy J is pretty cool. Dogs: Bullets and Carnage also wasn't awful.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
I'm looking for something brainless I can sit back and be entertained by without having to think, 12 episodes plus or minus. This probably means it's full of standard anime cliches and isn't very good.

Recent shows I've watched that felt like this were The Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Engaged to the Unidentified, and Haganai. They were all pretty standard affairs that told acceptable stories, if uncreative ones. If you could give me something that's full of bad cliches, really pushing the envelope on what it even means to be a bad harem show, like Henneko or Noucome, even better. Those were atypical precisely because they completely ignored the limits that your typical harem show places on how bottom-of-the-barrel you can be. Reference humor is a plus. Here's my MAL if it helps.

I'd ask for something actually good but at this point I just want something to wind down with after work, reality-TV style :v:

Actually, that's a good way to put it. I'm looking for something similarly trashy to reality TV.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Outer Science posted:

I'm looking for something brainless I can sit back and be entertained by without having to think, 12 episodes plus or minus. This probably means it's full of standard anime cliches and isn't very good.

Recent shows I've watched that felt like this were The Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Engaged to the Unidentified, and Haganai. They were all pretty standard affairs that told acceptable stories, if uncreative ones. If you could give me something that's full of bad cliches, really pushing the envelope on what it even means to be a bad harem show, like Henneko or Noucome, even better. Those were atypical precisely because they completely ignored the limits that your typical harem show places on how bottom-of-the-barrel you can be. Reference humor is a plus. Here's my MAL if it helps.

I'd ask for something actually good but at this point I just want something to wind down with after work, reality-TV style :v:

Actually, that's a good way to put it. I'm looking for something similarly trashy to reality TV.

Comic Party's pretty brainless. Almost hilariously so, and the sequel somehow tops it.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Outer Science posted:

It's... It's not like I actually enjoy these types of shows or anything!

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
As good as Nichijou was, it's more energetic than I'm looking for :v:

I'll check out Comic Party, thanks.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nisekoi, perhaps? It's about as brain-rottingly terrible as harems get, while having basically no fanservice or really anything objectionable at all otherwise

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Highschool of the Dead :v:

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Any suggestions for something kinda like JJBA or Metal Gear Solid, where it's a creator taking all of their random interests and translating it into a kinda-odd-but-still-good storyline? Something that feels like it could make little segues into some random topic tangentially related to the fight or problem at hand with semi-similar mechanisms.

KillerQueen fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 14, 2014

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Anything like Toradora or Lovely Complex in the last few years that is worth watching? Dramedies?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Princess Jellyfish if you haven't seen it, and while I haven't watched it I've heard good things about Golden Time after the first few, really bad episodes. That one is based on a book by the same author as Toradora.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Golden Time is occasionally pretty good but it's for the most part pretty mediocre and not nearly as good as Toradora.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Try Hyouka maybe?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KillerQueen posted:

Any suggestions for something kinda like JJBA or Metal Gear Solid, where it's a creator taking all of their random interests and translating it into a kinda-odd-but-still-good storyline? Something that feels like it could make little segues into some random topic tangentially related to the fight or problem at hand with semi-similar mechanisms.

Hunter x Hunter might fit that a bit.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Genocyber posted:

Well two of the arcs are basically centered around a videogame in one way or another, and Togashi is notorious for being a huge dweeb who loves Dragon Quest so I'd say it qualifies.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Weird BIAS posted:

Anything like Toradora or Lovely Complex in the last few years that is worth watching? Dramedies?

The Devil Tesla posted:

Try Hyouka maybe?

Hyouka ruled and would probably fit with what you're asking, as does Jellyfish Princess.

Kamisama Kiss was pretty good too and has that nice mix of drama, romance, and comedy. Second season is on the way soon too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Seconding this.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Silver2195 posted:

Seconding this.

Definitely this. I prefer the original series, but the new version is pretty good too.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Outer Science posted:

You can watch K-ON without thinking plus it's really good. Watch K-ON

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

ShadowMoo posted:

Is Naruto shippuden worth watching? Never touched it and I finished off the original series a long rear end time ago.

Ive been having fun watching it over the last few months but someone gave me a big list of episodes to skip and it's still really slow paced. Skip to the end of it if you start to see a flashback youve seen already and its not too bad.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

KillerQueen posted:

Kerberos Saga.

It encompasses comics, live action films and anime. If you want to get the most "complete" plotline in order, the core trilogy is Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, StrayDog: Kerberos Panzer Corps and finally The Red Spectacles. Most of the plot is better told in the comic series however, I really like the anime movie and one of the live action ones (Jin-Roh and StrayDog) but the third is less good.

For something less military related: GTO, especially the manga.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
GTO is good in general so you might like that regardless.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
This isn't exactly a recommendation request, but I just got into Osamu Tezuka's works, and I was wondering if anyone had a link to the old thread since IIRC there was one a while ago. Also, I guess any manga/anime that are kind of close to Ode to Kirihoto would be pretty rad. And recs for Tezuka's best works in general I guess, preferably in giant omnibus format.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Last Celebration posted:

This isn't exactly a recommendation request, but I just got into Osamu Tezuka's works, and I was wondering if anyone had a link to the old thread since IIRC there was one a while ago. Also, I guess any manga/anime that are kind of close to Ode to Kirihoto would be pretty rad. And recs for Tezuka's best works in general I guess, preferably in giant omnibus format.

Bagi, the Monster of Mighty Nature. The only thing you need to watch.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I haven't actually seen a lot of Tezuka stuff but I watched Triton of the Sea a little while ago and enjoyed that a lot.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Buddha is pretty incredible.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Wark Say posted:

It's the inner fujoshi in most girlfriends, that's what! :xd:

The thing about it being one of the best shows in recent memory is true, though. A drat fine show. From that year, probably only PenguinDrum and Steins;Gate come close to being as amazing as this baby. Madoka too, I guess.

Took me a while to follow up on your recommendation but Penguindrum was amazing. The description doesn't really do it justice at all, it's probably the best show I've watched since Madoka. Revolutionary Girl Utena is tempting now even though it's ancient since I want to see more from the same director.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking of Hunter x Hunter, I'm finally getting around to watching it and enjoying it a fair bit. Something that kept throwing me the first couple seasons was the bizarre amalgam of various cultures, time periods and tech in the series. The first time they showed a car I was actually pretty concerned I'd missed a whole thing. I thought up 'til that point it was mostly low-tech with some super powerful people having an airship but that didn't exactly turn out to be true. So that got me wondering if there are any other things that do that particularly well or intentionally.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NOTinuyasha posted:

Revolutionary Girl Utena is tempting now even though it's ancient since I want to see more from the same director.

Utena is the best show of its kind ever made. The only thing arguably holding it back is a lot of re-used animation, and even that's integrated with style.

You know how Penguin Drum kind of stumbles towards the end -- loses minor plot threads, ending poses an neat thematic conclusion but not very emotionally satisfying, etc? Utena does not have that problem.

In fact, it avoids it twice; be sure to watch the movie after the series. :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NOTinuyasha posted:

Took me a while to follow up on your recommendation but Penguindrum was amazing. The description doesn't really do it justice at all, it's probably the best show I've watched since Madoka. Revolutionary Girl Utena is tempting now even though it's ancient since I want to see more from the same director.

Watch Utena because old, classic anime is cool.

I feel like it's a stronger show than Penguindrum overall, though admittedly the movie helps a lot in that regard. It's a fantastic film and I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Ikuhara ever got the chance to do a Penguindrum movie.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

Watch Utena because old, classic anime is cool.

I feel like it's a stronger show than Penguindrum overall, though admittedly the movie helps a lot in that regard. It's a fantastic film and I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Ikuhara ever got the chance to do a Penguindrum movie.

Penguindrum ended in a (mostly) satisfactory way. Of course, it was never as strong as Utena was.

poo poo, now I wish Ikuhara and Enokido would do something together once again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ikuhara has a new series starting next year (Yuri Kuma Arashi) but it doesn't look like Enokido is involved.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I watched a bit of anime in high school (circa 2001-2005), but ended up losing interest in anything anime related for almost 10 years. Cut to about a week ago, and I'm turning around and am looking to catch up on the best stuff I may have missed in nearly a decade. So, that said, if my absolute favorite OVA is Battle Angel, and I thoroughly enjoy everything related to Ghost in the Shell, what series should I be looking at? I'm not limited to cyberpunk/tech-noir genre; I enjoy comedy/action fantasy, a bit of mech (I really enjoyed Full Metal Panic, naturally), but mostly I'm a fan of that darker, gritty/violent stuff akin to the Ghost in the Shell movies, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Gantz etc.

I'm currently keeping up with Sword Art Online which I'm liking, and I recently finished up Attack on Titan which I absolutely loved. A friend of mine recommended that I take a look at Claymore since I liked Attack on Titan so much (I binged through the 1st season this past weekend). What else should I consider?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Give Tiger and Bunny a try. It's a fairly lighthearted buddy cop comedy set in a world of corporate western style superheroes.

Edit: wait do you mean comedy/action, or specifically those in the fantasy genre? Because in that case, absolutely watch The Devil Is a Part-Timer.

It fits all three descriptors extremely well.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 21, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch Jojo. The answer is always Jojo.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Others can probably help with better suggestions for those types of genres than I can, but I just want to say that the Claymore anime is alright, but has a stupid anime-only ending and reading the manga (which is ending soon) is really the way to go.

If you like Ghost in the Shell and for some reason haven't watched the Stand Alone Complex series yet, immediately do that.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

teagone posted:

I watched a bit of anime in high school (circa 2001-2005), but ended up losing interest in anything anime related for almost 10 years. Cut to about a week ago, and I'm turning around and am looking to catch up on the best stuff I may have missed in nearly a decade. So, that said, if my absolute favorite OVA is Battle Angel, and I thoroughly enjoy everything related to Ghost in the Shell, what series should I be looking at? I'm not limited to cyberpunk/tech-noir genre; I enjoy comedy/action fantasy, a bit of mech (I really enjoyed Full Metal Panic, naturally), but mostly I'm a fan of that darker, gritty/violent stuff akin to the Ghost in the Shell movies, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Gantz etc.

I'm currently keeping up with Sword Art Online which I'm liking, and I recently finished up Attack on Titan which I absolutely loved. A friend of mine recommended that I take a look at Claymore since I liked Attack on Titan so much (I binged through the 1st season this past weekend). What else should I consider?

Try some of the following;
  • Dominion Tank Police
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (if you haven't seen it yet)
  • Patlabor (the 90's TV series, the Early Days OVA, and the Movies)
  • Black Lagoon (it's basically the essense of glorious 80's action movies distilled into an anime series :allears:)
  • Trigun
  • Bubblegun Crisis (the original OVA or 2040.)
  • Redline. Because everyone should watch Redline :colbert:

• Locked thread