Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

Spacebump posted:

Duke isn't bad at football anymore. I bet they could beat several currently ranked teams. I really hope they don't destroy Tulane this weekend.

I would do anything to have their schedule every season, that's for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

These are not the kind of recruiting tactics I expected out of Wake Forest of all schools. This feels more Tennessee/Florida to me.

Funny you say that....UT did this a couple weeks ago, and theirs is better.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MourningView posted:

They were better than that last year and will be better than that this year probably.

Attendance is okay. They're not selling out every game anymore but the program still makes lots of money and more or less keeps the whole athletic department afloat by itself.

They more or less cannot afford to fire him because of his buyout. And I don't even know if I want that. He's frustrating but he's still if not the best coach in school history certainly in the discussion (the other options would be Fry and Evashevski; his best seasons are better than Fry's unless you ignore record and AP rankings and just focus on making the Rose Bowl, and Evy left coaching early to be the worst AD in school history). Like I said, this isn't even a sign of the program in decline, it's something that's always happened. They lost to Iowa State in a season where they went undefeated in conference play and went to a BCS Bowl. They lost to Northwestern in a season where they won the Orange Bowl (a season where they also almost lost to Indiana and Northern Iowa).

Hes a poor mans Mark Richt

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vikingstrike posted:

I can understand the Bobo hate to a point, but the offense the last two years under Murray was the best in program history.... Defense has been really what has kicked us in the nuts over and over for the past few years. The one good year Grantham had was Jarvis Jones playing out of his mind.

Last season, Georgia set a program scoring record despite half the team being dead on any given Saturday. Bobo hate boils down to anecdotes of specific plays (e.g., not giving the ball to Gurley on the first and goal) rather than the actual numbers.

I mean, I can get that. In the same game, on a 3rd and 2, Bobo went with a no-back set, trips left. It was strange and didn't work. He shouldn't have done it. But in a hostile environment, in the rain, his offense was moving the ball throughout. You give Georgia a credible defense and the Bobo rage becomes very muted.

Worth noting that Bobo-bashers really really pined for Chad Morris. Chad Morris can conjure up dominant offenses at will! Bobo has to rely on stars! Well, how did that work out in the season opener this season, guys?

There was a non-zero portion of this fanbase that blamed last season on Bobo and only Bobo and not the injuries and/or Grantham. The idea here was that, because HUNH exists, Bobo should've been able to win every game 55-45. As long as the defense maybe forced one turnover and gotten one third down stop, Grantham had done his job. It was the most baffling semi-prevalent train of thought I've ever heard in Georgia fandom, and I've heard a lot.

e: The Grantham supporters were also enamored that Todd could own a room with his BS while Bobo is typically a lousy interview. And Grantham had a play sheet! And a towel boy! Swoon

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 16, 2014

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Duke isn't bad at football anymore. I bet they could beat several currently ranked teams. I really hope they don't destroy Tulane this weekend.

If Duke wins like they should, that will be 12 straight regular season wins for the Dookies.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

go3 posted:

Hes a poor mans Mark Richt

Yeah I guess. It's a lot harder to win at Iowa than Georgia though. The state produces like 5 DI recruits a year, most of whom are in the 2 to low 3 star range and take a lot of development time, no one with any talent from out of state wants to come here (which is doubly true of kids from the talent rich southern states), and they don't really have a ton of history to draw from.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
Oh jameis, wtf are you thinking?

https://mobile.twitter.com/LostLettermen/status/511971335309119488/photo/1

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

What a precocious little scamp :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ShitASmartRapistDoesntSay.txt

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn 2013 Cleary Act National Champions, Pawl

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Auburn 2013 Cleary Act National Champions, Pawl

I got reminded of the movie Angels in the Outfield today and I couldn't stop thinking of every single bullshit loving play that saved Auburn's asses last year and gently caress YOU gently caress YOU ALLLLLL

lol jameis

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

haha

I'm just glad Drake is preoccupied with Marcus Mariota right now. Don't want those two mixing.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Raku posted:

I got reminded of the movie Angels in the Outfield today and I couldn't stop thinking of every single bullshit loving play that saved Auburn's asses last year and gently caress YOU gently caress YOU ALLLLLL
If one wanted to ruin the magic, they could note that the Georgia game should've ended with Aaron Murray ruled a yard short on fourth-and-goal and Auburn running out the last ~90 seconds; and the Kick Six merely ended a game in regulation that would've gone into overtime with Auburn at home, holding all the momentum and, given the evidence of the fourth quarter, with an unquestioned advantage in red zone offense and the kicking game.

But magic is more fun. Also, Angels in the Outfield should only be a source of hope and wonder, never strife.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
I need some help.

We have not beaten LSU in 15 years and we are playing them in Death Valley on a Saturday night.

However, this is easily our best team since our SEC West championship team (possibly better) and our strengths are perfect for their weaknesses, and LSU hasn't looked great this season and lost a ton to the NFL. Also, while we have looked good in our tune up games, the stats are incredibly deceptive because we have been platooning on both sides of the ball early and often, so we are likely a lot better than what those show and we are VERY deep.

Now, several talking heads are picking us for an upset and a few have said that they think that Dak Prescott gets his Heisman moment too.

Can a few of you tell me I am crazy for thinking we have a decent chance? I never let myself get excited for this game, and that level of heartbreak will put a major, alcohol shaped hole in my wallet if I get my hopes up.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Relax, you're going to lose.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I wish there was a way to make Georgia fans bitching about referees my ringtone. Simon Belmont's theme is getting a bit old.

By the way Georgia's playing a team this weekend (Troy) who's 0-3 and lost at home to Abilene Christian last week so expect Gurley to either gain 1000 all purpose or play for like five minutes while Make-A-Wish kids get to try out for safety.

Troy lost to Abilene Christian? Aren't they usually one of the best of the Sun Belt and one of the worst of FCS, respectively? Did Troy lose a coach or something?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I need some help.

We have not beaten LSU in 15 years and we are playing them in Death Valley on a Saturday night.

Pretty generous of Clemson to let you guys use their stadium for your game :smug:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Hahaha Pat Forde is tweeting at a bunch of FSU students who heard Jameis, trying to get an interview with them

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Can a few of you tell me I am crazy for thinking we have a decent chance? I never let myself get excited for this game, and that level of heartbreak will put a major, alcohol shaped hole in my wallet if I get my hopes up.

Put it this way, I bought into this type of talk when you were saying Mississippi State was going to destroy Oklahoma State before they figured out their quarterback was awful last year. They still beat you easily, then switched to a different guy and got way loving better.

Hope is a dumb thing, maybe the dumbest of things.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 17, 2014

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/16/arkansas-state-fake-punt-blake-anderson

A little insight into Arkansas State's playing dead fake punt.

In other news, Sports Illustrated's website is garbage.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 17, 2014

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Hotlanta Man, I just want to give you a shoutout for being an awesome Georgia fan (and the same goes for all the Dawgs here, really). I hope you had a decent time in Columbia, despite the result and weird weather.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

RumbleFish posted:

Hotlanta Man, I just want to give you a shoutout for being an awesome Georgia fan (and the same goes for all the Dawgs here, really). I hope you had a decent time in Columbia, despite the result and weird weather.

Columbia as a town sucks poo poo but your campus was nice when I went to visit my friend and your fans were actually kind of nice this time. Solid trip :)

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Columbia as a town sucks poo poo but your campus was nice when I went to visit my friend and your fans were actually kind of nice this time. Solid trip :)

Im gonna get at you some time this week with my weekend work schedule, if we can beer it or something so be it.

every
Apr 24, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

Last season, Georgia set a program scoring record despite half the team being dead on any given Saturday. Bobo hate boils down to anecdotes of specific plays (e.g., not giving the ball to Gurley on the first and goal) rather than the actual numbers.

It's kinda the same with Richt himself, and reminds me of OSU folks complaining about Tressel. You win 90% of your games, but can't win "the big one" because of a conservative approach. True or not, that's the attitude. As much as I despair losing games like Saturday's, I'm okay with Richt & Co's rate of winning.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

every posted:

It's kinda the same with Richt himself, and reminds me of OSU folks complaining about Tressel. You win 90% of your games, but can't win "the big one" because of a conservative approach. True or not, that's the attitude. As much as I despair losing games like Saturday's, I'm okay with Richt & Co's rate of winning.

Plus, when Evil Richt comes out it is always a delight.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted:

Im gonna get at you some time this week with my weekend work schedule, if we can beer it or something so be it.

Fersure, I'll be in Athens Thursday night, so Athens goons PM me or whatever and we'll go burn down Mags or something.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

All these judgments about winning "big games" and championships are made with sample sizes a statistician wouldn't piss on, anyway.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Ha, yeah -- Columbia is really underwhelming, especially as a capital city, so you won't catch me defending that. USC's campus is another world entirely, though, so I'm glad you liked it and our fans weren't complete morons. I'm hoping to visit Athens next year and am really looking forward to it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

All these judgments about winning "big games" and championships are made with sample sizes a statistician wouldn't piss on, anyway.
Complaining about losing big games requires that your team be good enough to actually be in big games.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Troy lost to Abilene Christian? Aren't they usually one of the best of the Sun Belt and one of the worst of FCS, respectively? Did Troy lose a coach or something?

Troy won five Sun Belt titles in a row but haven't broken .500 since then. Their longtime coach is still around but might retire soon.

Abilene Christian just moved to FCS from DII; this is their first year playing a full schedule at that level.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

If one wanted to ruin the magic, they could note that the Georgia game should've ended with Aaron Murray ruled a yard short on fourth-and-goal and Auburn running out the last ~90 seconds

If you do that, then the refs should've called a facemask on the play (Murray's was yanked on the way down). First and goal Georgia.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

If you do that, then the refs should've called a facemask on the play (Murray's was yanked on the way down). First and goal Georgia.

Officiating was poo poo that day, for both sides.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Morby posted:

Officiating was poo poo that day, for both sides.

This is every SEC game, let's be honest.

Death to Penn Wagers

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
playing in the pac12 has its benefits in money & prestige but it's also going to keep us out of bowl contention for another god drat decade barring some miraculous recruiting coup

wtftastic posted:

How many other Amish farm escapees have played Div 1 football?

the rumspringa of rage begins

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

every posted:

Tressel won the big one though? :confused:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

I need some help.

Here's the deal. The SEC West seems like they are going to be pretty good this year. There's a lot of good coaches and good talent. Money has been flowing in for years and programs have been putting it to good use. MSU is no different - they are better than they have been in some time. We've seen signs that Alabama and LSU are not going to be as good this year as they have been in the past. Auburn did well last year and looks pretty good this year. Texas A&M looks better than was expected but lost a ton. Arkansas is rebuilding but did take you to overtime last year with the same players. Ole Miss is a trendy favorite to upset people given their recruiting success but there's no overwhelming evidence on the field. What does this mean for MSU?

It means that you will still lose, and frequently. If you are lucky you will be somewhere in the middle instead of at the bottom and you are lucky - you play Vanderbilt and Kentucky from the East and will probably win those two games. A team like Arkansas who plays Georgia and Missouri this year should be jealous.

Now, the question is whether you will beat LSU and I think that you might. LSU lost a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and have not looked like a complete team yet. As Auburn and Texas A&M have risen to contend with Alabama the last couple of seasons I get the sense that LSU is slowly slipping away from that top spot. The main problem with predicting a win is that it is in Death Valley and your coach has never beaten LSU. I won't be surprised if you win. But if you think that your QB will ever be a Heisman contender then you need a dose of reality.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Man, it's been awhile since the SECE was the marquee division.

Makes me sad. :smith:

Then again, a lot of things about UF football make me sad these days.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Auburn and Texas A&M have risen to contend with Alabama the last couple of seasons I get the sense that LSU is slowly slipping away from that top spot.

I though doctors were preternaturally intelligent, but maybe I was wrong.

There's no denying LSU has taken a step back, but that'll happen when you're gutted by the NFL draft 2 years in a row.

LSU has owned A&M the past couple of years and outside of last year, LSU has been a better team than Auburn.

This year, I don't know who is gonna take the West.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
If LSU has a problem, I think it might be that they're more set in their ways than even Alabama. That said their defense always seems to do better against fast teams than ours so yeah, they're still, really, really good. Definitely still one of the ten best programs in the country, and they'd be going to the playoffs every year in another conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Raku posted:

If LSU has a problem, I think it might be that they're more set in their ways than even Alabama. That said their defense always seems to do better against fast teams than ours so yeah, they're still, really, really good. Definitely still one of the ten best programs in the country, and they'd be going to the playoffs every year in another conference.

That's a pretty big assumption. Do you think they'd never get taken out by, say, Oklahoma or Baylor in the Big 12? Or somebody like Stanford or Oregon if they were in the Pac-12? Or that they'd get by Michigan State and Ohio State every year in the Big 10? Okay I'm probably with you on that last one

• Locked thread