Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

serebralassazin posted:

He actually left the verge for Bloomberg not too long ago. Nilay Patel is the editor in chief now. The verge is an alright site to me. They get called Apple fanboys in the comments of their articles pretty frequently but they've been pretty positive towards nexus phones and android in the past. Anyways, for some serious reviewing have to wait for Anandtech's reviews.
Yeah, AnandTech and Ars Technica are my preferred sites. It's a shame they don't seem to be as popular as Engadget and now The Verge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, AnandTech and Ars Technica are my preferred sites. It's a shame they don't seem to be as popular as Engadget and now The Verge.

ArsTechnica reviews are OK but a lot of their other content tends to be very click-baity...

AnandTech reviews are the best, super objective and editorialism kept to a minimum.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

AnandTech reviews are the best, super objective and editorialism kept to a minimum.
Hopefully that remains with Anand now gone.

edit: And apparently Brian Klug as well.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 17, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

serebralassazin posted:

The verge is an alright site to me. They get called Apple fanboys in the comments of their articles pretty frequently

Does this even matter? There are many people it seems whose job in life right now is to 'nail' anyone saying that the 6 is a good phone. So many that the comments sections are entirely irrelevant.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Does this even matter? There are many people it seems whose job in life right now is to 'nail' anyone saying that the 6 is a good phone. So many that the comments sections are entirely irrelevant.

Comments sections are always irrelevant though!

Interesting first reviews, though I don't think there's anything groundbreaking there. The Plus is seriously big, landscape mode is a bit buggy, the bands on the back of both phones are ugly, the camera is awesome and the screen is great.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The wobble from the lens doesn't seem that bad at all, honestly. Verge showed it in their video.

Not nearly as bad at the Moto-X at least.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

The wobble from the lens doesn't seem that bad at all, honestly. Verge showed it in their video.

Not nearly as bad at the Moto-X at least.

Oh really? :v:

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
when do you ever hit the top corner when the phone is flat on surface?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

DaNzA posted:

Oh really? :v:

I was expecting a lot worse

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The phone will end up in a case in most instances and that problem disappears.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

I was expecting a lot worse

Yeah it doesnt see that bad, but it still seems kinda terrible and the metal around the camera area might get scratched up quite easily if you place it on the table or something.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
That could probably be used by apps, didn't Garageband do something like that where it used the motion sensor to sense how hard you hit the keys?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Not putting a case on my phone. Never have, never will. It's honestly for paranoid butterfingers type people. Neither my 4 nor 5 were bastardized with a case and they both survived countless drunken nights out as well as the occasionally drop on the floor/ground. Neither phone suffered any screen damage and only minor body imperfections.

That said, I don't care about the wobble. I'm not using my iPhone to support anything I need level so who gives a poo poo?

I worry if the camera lens will get scratched against surfaces it's laying on, though. If Apple is continuing to use "sapphire" or whatever durable material for the lens then we should be good, right?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The only issue I can see with the camera lens jutting out would be if you're sitting the phone face down and using the level gauge built in to the compass app to check if a surface is flat. Though again, with a case that becomes irrelevant.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:siren:RAM-gate!:siren:

(Coining it now.)
In regards to the phone, it's not really funny. The old 5S was already starved on memory as it is. The 6+ needs to run a bigger framebuffer and backing textures, that reduces available memory even more.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm curious to see how updated third-party apps work on the 6 Plus. I wouldn't be surprised to see some janky animations.

All the reviewers are using up-scaled apps I presume.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I'm liking that the battery life is better even on the 6. I'm chalking it up to the standby time being better with screen off due to the increased battery size.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:siren:RAM-gate!:siren:

(Coining it now.)

Don't steal my speed metal band name, please.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Not putting a case on my phone. Never have, never will. It's honestly for paranoid butterfingers type people. Neither my 4 nor 5 were bastardized with a case and they both survived countless drunken nights out as well as the occasionally drop on the floor/ground. Neither phone suffered any screen damage and only minor body imperfections.

:thumbsup:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Seriously, stop placeing your iphone on hard surfaces regaurdless of protruding cameras or not. I've owned everysingle iteration of the iphone and kept them in mint condition for resale the next year. I will not set my phones down unless there is a padded surface such as a napkin, book or cloth.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

gohmak posted:

Seriously, stop placeing your iphone on hard surfaces regaurdless of protruding cameras or not. I've owned everysingle iteration of the iphone and kept them in mint condition for resale the next year. I will not set my phones down unless there is a padded surface such as a napkin, book or cloth.
I know I personally carry around what I call an iClothTM for any occasion when I want to set my phone down. I don't know what kind of spergs wouldn't have one and would be so crazy as to simply set their phone down on a pleb's table.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

gohmak posted:

Wow, you let your phone touch napkins? What if someone had used them?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

I know I personally carry around what I call an iClothTM for any occasion when I want to set my phone down. I don't know what kind of spergs wouldn't have one and would be so crazy as to simply set their phone down on a pleb's table.

I find that a doily makes for a nice touch.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Just put grip tape all over your iPhone.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.
Shortly before the PS4 was released people were bitching and whining about the console having a wobble. Console releases and people forgot it exists because the whole thing had been blown out of proportion.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Personally I don't even take my iPhones out of the box. I find that resale values a year later are much higher when they're still boxed and shrink-wrapped.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Obsidius posted:

Shortly before the PS4 was released people were bitching and whining about the console having a wobble. Console releases and people forgot it exists because the whole thing had been blown out of proportion.

That and you probably aren't handling your PS4 every day. With an appliance-type electronic you can just use the time-tested sugar packet support system.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So Apple is apparently not releasing any kind of update or patch to address iCloud Drive in Mavericks. If you use a Mac and don't have Yosemite, don't upgrade to iCloud Drive when iOS 8 drops or your apps won't sync.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

That and you probably aren't handling your PS4 every day. With an appliance-type electronic you can just use the time-tested sugar packet support system.

Do you want to get ants? Because that's how you get ants.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

webmeister posted:

Personally I don't even take my iPhones out of the box. I find that resale values a year later are much higher when they're still boxed and shrink-wrapped.

This. The only safer way to handle your iPhone is to request that it not be shipped, but held in China for the eventual successor to your phone, but that just seems... silly.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Wobble solved without a case.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

webmeister posted:

My 401k is invested entirely in mint condition 2007 model iPhones

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
^^ I was just about to link some finished eBay auctions of sealed first gen iPhones. Pretty nuts. I'd love to have one on a shelf next to a sealed first gen iPod!

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

pzy posted:

^^ I was just about to link some finished eBay auctions of sealed first gen iPhones. Pretty nuts. I'd love to have one on a shelf next to a sealed first gen iPod!

Buy an empty iphone box and shrinkwrap it.

E: I may have just found a way to turn a massive profit...

Brock Landers fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 17, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

the kawaiiest posted:

So Apple is apparently not releasing any kind of update or patch to address iCloud Drive in Mavericks.

Of course not; the update to address iCloud Drive is called Yosemite. If it runs Mavericks, it'll run Yosemite.

Now, why they didn't yank temporarily yank iCloud Drive from iOS 8 like they did some other features (like, say, the Yosemite-dependent Continuity) is a question for the ages. Yosemite clearly wasn't and isn't going to be ready in time for iOS 8's release.

I'll be charitably optimistic—maybe they have remote control over whether the upgrade prompt is displayed. Maybe regular iOS 8 users simply won't be prompted for now, and there won't be an angry mob burning copies of Age of Innocence and bitching about their missing documents.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

My last iPhone wobbled because I got drunk and used it to open a beer bottle, which bent the metal casing. My current iPhone wobbles because I got drunk and dropped it and dented a corner. Thank got I'll finally be able to buy an iPhone that wobbles no matter what I do to it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Shroomie posted:

My last iPhone wobbled because I got drunk and used it to open a beer bottle, which bent the metal casing. My current iPhone wobbles because I got drunk and dropped it and dented a corner. Thank got I'll finally be able to buy an iPhone that wobbles no matter what I do to it.

:stare:

Maybe you should, uh, lay off the booze a little bit bud.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Molten Llama posted:

Of course not; the update to address iCloud Drive is called Yosemite. If it runs Mavericks, it'll run Yosemite.

Now, why they didn't yank temporarily yank iCloud Drive from iOS 8 like they did some other features (like, say, the Yosemite-dependent Continuity) is a question for the ages. Yosemite clearly wasn't and isn't going to be ready in time for iOS 8's release.

I'll be charitably optimistic—maybe they have remote control over whether the upgrade prompt is displayed. Maybe regular iOS 8 users simply won't be prompted for now, and there won't be an angry mob burning copies of Age of Innocence and bitching about their missing documents.

I hope you're right, because I have a feeling it's going to come up on the iOS update, people are going to do it and it's going to be a disaster. I mean... some app developers are already warning their users not to upgrade...

I'm using Yosemite anyway so I'll be fine but I think it's a huge oversight on their end not to simply release at least some kind of iCloud Drive app or something for Mavericks, or completely yank it out of iOS 8 for now.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
There's a lot of people that don't use macs and just have an iPhone / iPad that could take advantage of iCloud Drive now though.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

DarkJC posted:

There's a lot of people that don't use macs and just have an iPhone / iPad that could take advantage of iCloud Drive now though.

Yeah absolutely, I'm just worried about all the Mac + iPhone users who just rush through upgrades without reading instructions.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Combat Pretzel posted:

In regards to the phone, it's not really funny. The old 5S was already starved on memory as it is. The 6+ needs to run a bigger framebuffer and backing textures, that reduces available memory even more.

Nah it'll be fine. Really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using the Yosemite public beta for awhile and only iPhoto gives me issues, which they warned about. Thankfully, it's not something I use often, but having to go to my Windows machine to actually convert RAW photos one by one with the lovely Sony software is the worst.