Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah but don't those things run dry after you pump the brake a few times?

What? How do you drive that you pump the brakes after coming a complete stop at a traffic light?

I've driven a number of cars with auto start-stop systems and they all work like this:
In an auto/DSG car I keep my foot on the brake when I stop. The engine switches off. The moment I let go of the brake the engine fires up and I drive off.
In a manual car I come to a stop with the brakes. I clutch in, select neutral, clutch out, and the engine switches off. I pull up the park brake. The moment I clutch in again, the engine starts up. I select first and drive off.

On autos they are near flawless. If you're in stop-go traffic that stops and then creeps, you might find that the car switches off less often to account for the fact that you're not coming to a stationary-for-10-seconds-or-longer stop, as per traffic lights.
In manual cars it depends on the manufacturer's implementation. Cars with direct injection can have the combustion cycle stopped at exactly the point where firing up (upon clutch depression) is instant. I've driven a few (Fiat/Alfa, VW/Audi) manual cars that see the system freaking out when you clutch out and stall, which requires you to select neutral and pump the clutch once to restart the motor.

The starter motors are also beefed up significantly to deal with constant operation. The systems are also designed to not operate in extreme cold or heat when you need ancillary systems for climate control, or when the engine is not yet up to operating temperature.

Somebody a few posts up said it best, "Why pay money to go nowhere?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah but don't those things run dry after you pump the brake a few times?

You're stopped........why would you need to stop a few more times?

efb

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Somehow they designed 700 phalluses in that thing. Approve.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Is it a bad thing that I can identify that engine just by looking at it?

(Bristol Centaurus if anyone's interested)

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Stealth Like posted:

I'm not sure about the others but A/C is definitely run off it as well assuming it has enough charge. I actually just bought a 3 that is fully loaded so I can answer any questions about it. I honestly didn't even know that it had start/stop it's that seamless.

Are you in the US? If so, your 3 doesn't have stop/start. I have a 2014 Mazda3 s Grand Touring with i-ELOOP (regenerative brakes and a capacitor). It's ready for stop/start (the battery even says so), but they haven't offered it in the US.

Easy way to check is to watch your tach at a stoplight.

Kakairo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 18, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Motronic posted:

You're stopped........why would you need to stop a few more times?

efb
Obviously you don't need to but I'm surprised you think this would never happen. You never accidentally or deliberately did a couple things you didn't need to while stopped in traffic? Shift into gear and then out of it, either because you thought traffic was about to move or out of boredom, turn signal on and off, take your foot off the brake and then put it back on because you dropped something on the floor?

But I guess the brake booster issue is moot because the start/stops automatically start when your foot goes off the brake.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MrChips posted:

Is it a bad thing that I can identify that engine just by looking at it?

(Bristol Centaurus if anyone's interested)

I'm interested. Are the air cooling fins extremely finely and perfectly made, or is the thing just absolutely gigantic and they're a good 8mm apart? Is it even air cooled?

Obviously you don't need to but I'm surprised you think this would never happen. You never accidentally or deliberately did a couple things you didn't need to while stopped in traffic? Shift into gear and then out of it, either because you thought traffic was about to move or out of boredom, turn signal on and off, take your foot off the brake and then put it back on because you dropped something on the floor?

But I guess the brake booster issue is moot because the start/stops automatically start when your foot goes off the brake.

The point is that a normal vacuum brake booster is good for a few brakes before it runs out of vacuum, not just one. The only way to get the scenario you're thinking of is to deliberately sit there pumping the brakes like a retard without ever actually fully taking your foot off the pedal.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Kakairo posted:

Are you in the US? If so, your 3 doesn't have stop/start. I have a 2014 Mazda3 s Grand Touring with i-ELOOP (regenerative brakes and a capacitor). It's ready for stop/start (the battery even says so), but they haven't offered it in the US.

Easy way to check is to watch your tach at a stoplight.

Oh well that would be why! I just got the exact same one.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Does anyone have one of those see-thru animations showing how this engine works?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I'm interested. Are the air cooling fins extremely finely and perfectly made, or is the thing just absolutely gigantic and they're a good 8mm apart? Is it even air cooled?

Both. They're big fuckin' engines which are cooled with many, many fins. Here is a Wasp Major (it's a little bit bigger than the Bristol in radius, but with 4 banks instead of 2) in situ for scale:

Dr.Caligari posted:

Does anyone have one of those see-thru animations showing how this engine works?

Google radial engine gifs.

To really make your head :psyduck:, google rotary engine gifs. If you get too much Wankel/RX-8 hits, try searching for "Gnome" engines, they were the major manufacturers of rotaries in WWI

The crank is bolted to the airframe, and the propeller is bolted to the engine block. The crank stays fixed and the whole engine spins around it. The throttle has two settings: on and off, which is why in movies they blip the magneto on landing. Oil gets pumped in through the hub and flung out (total loss system) through the pistons when they open due to centrifugal force. The oil used was castor oil, which is a diuretic, so WWI pilots often shat their pants in flight from ingesting all the engine oil. You couldn't turn one way due to the gyroscopic load of all that spinning mass, but you could turn the other way REAL quick.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 18, 2014

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003
Didn't see this anywhere yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXMyZ929lpY

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, watching the suspension work on those trucks is mesmerizing.

I liked the panning shot from inside a VW, just randomly had a roll cage installed because why not. :v:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

laxative

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This was a pro-click. It's amazing that he can do a perpetual 360 burnout on tarmac while still maintaining forward trajectory.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

How much is your average trophy truck anyway? They look like the kinda thing I need to buy for myself and a few friends if I hit the lottery. They remind me of the first time I went for a ride on a long travel mountainbike, you could theoretically roll over anything without care, so much fun.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

88h88 posted:

How much is your average trophy truck anyway? They look like the kinda thing I need to buy for myself and a few friends if I hit the lottery. They remind me of the first time I went for a ride on a long travel mountainbike, you could theoretically roll over anything without care, so much fun.

For something that's competitive? 100k starting and reaching to half a mil or more depending on how many goodies it comes with.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Except the pig in question has no valves. the sleeve is the valve.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

88h88 posted:

For like 300k you can get one of these
http://www.stewartsraceworks.com/our_vehicles.php

Basically a trophy truck with all the luxuries of a normal truck.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

I put the helmet (radio/intercom) kit in that helmet!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

That looks like so much fun. Although I gotta say I don't think I'd be as trusting as some of those folks in the video.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Captain Postal posted:

The crank is bolted to the airframe, and the propeller is bolted to the engine block. The crank stays fixed and the whole engine spins around it. The throttle has two settings: on and off, which is why in movies they blip the throttle on landing.

Blip the magneto! :eng101:

For even more bizarre poo poo, Google the Napier Deltic.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
e: ^^^^^ Airplane engines blow my mind, man.. They just seem sketchy from a car driver's perspective.

#exposedengine

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 19, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'll take two please

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the wheels are so deep that no matter how you look at them you can never truly see their face

like God

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Might as well drop this.
Its so stupid and unpractical on every level but god drat would I want to take my last spin on earth in it.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/4660811241.html

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 19, 2014

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

El Scotch posted:

From R/T's initial Mustang review:

I can't stop laughing at the car faces. The 911 looks like a blowfish and the Ferrari looks like it belongs in a kabuki theatre.

The Porsche looks like the van in the back pinched its bum.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A3th3r posted:

e: ^^^^^ Airplane engines blow my mind, man.. They just seem sketchy from a car driver's perspective.

Keep in mind that the rotary radials they're talking about are contemporary (1914-1918) with automobile engines equipped with manual-crank starters, manual choke, manual mixture, manual spark advance, exposed rocker arms, total loss oiling, etc, etc.

Hell, oil filters were an option on most products from the big three into the middle of the 1950s.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:swoon:

God that is sexy. Needs more than rubber bands but man, those lines are just :aaa:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why don't you drive a 6x6 former helicopter?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

El Scotch posted:

From R/T's initial Mustang review:

I can't stop laughing at the car faces. The 911 looks like a blowfish and the Ferrari looks like it belongs in a kabuki theatre.

The Mustang looks like the car version of my avatar

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fart Pipe posted:

The Mustang looks like the car version of my avatar

Avacar

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

:downsrim:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ferremit posted:

The Porsche looks like the van in the back pinched its bum.

You're right, it does look like it just got goosed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Powershift posted:

Why don't you drive a 6x6 former helicopter?

This is a question I wished you'd never asked, because now every time I look at my car, I'll ask the same question.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The fact it still has Aeroflot on it seals it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Couple of cars I don't usually see in the wild here:

Is the second one a Torino or something?

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Slavvy posted:

Couple of cars I don't usually see in the wild here:

Is the second one a Torino or something?

1968 Torino GT. A 2 year only body style; the 68 had that grille, the 69 had a horizontal bar grill, and lost the "corral" in the center.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Might as well toss it in here too. Here's Dad's M3 in Germany before it was shipped to the US and he bought it. We're trying to figure out where this photo was taken and the only thing we know is it's near the Nrburgring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

NitroSpazzz posted:

Might as well toss it in here too. Here's Dad's M3 in Germany before it was shipped to the US and he bought it. We're trying to figure out where this photo was taken and the only thing we know is it's near the Nrburgring.

That's pretty cool. Also that looks like the backside of Adenau to me.