Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
116 - LIVE From The XOXO Festival 2014 in Portland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I love Jeff's comptrolling, but I thought Spencer was doing a great job until they brought up the audience members. After that he hardly said a word until D&D.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Yeah, I miss Jeff. He would have gotten more out of that kid than "I used to date a girl my friend dates now, so all of my old friends hate me."

What were they doing at XOXO anyway? They're technically independent and use technology, I guess?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Brekelefuw posted:

I love Jeff's comptrolling, but I thought Spencer was doing a great job until they brought up the audience members. After that he hardly said a word until D&D.

Spencer would be a great comptroller if he stopped trying to tell jokes. He's just not at all funny.

skypunk
Apr 26, 2007

MY SMILE IS GONE FOR GOOD!

Inkspot posted:

Yeah, I miss Jeff. He would have gotten more out of that kid than "I used to date a girl my friend dates now, so all of my old friends hate me."

What were they doing at XOXO anyway? They're technically independent and use technology, I guess?

Jeff might've, but the details wouldn't have been good for a comedy podcast. I was that kid, by the way.

The organizers of XOXO must be fans cuz Harmontown only kinda fits. Still, check out Dan's keynote from the fest 2 years ago if you haven't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_aFOnT04g

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

There will be a live podcast in Toronto on October 4 at the Bloor Hot Docs Cinema. They're also showing the documentary if you're into that. I saw the documentary during HotDocs so I'm just going to the podcast. Also tickets are like $12 with all fees and taxes so it's super cheap.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Holy crap. Getting tickets to that.

Edit: tickets bought. My girlfriend has never watched Community or heard the podcast. Boy is she in for an evening of confusion.

Brekelefuw fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 17, 2014

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Brekelefuw posted:

Holy crap. Getting tickets to that.

Edit: tickets bought. My girlfriend has never watched Community or heard the podcast. Boy is she in for an evening of confusion.

My girlfriend has seen Community and the documentary but has never heard the podcast, she will also be confused, especially when they get to D&D.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Goon presence confirmed? I'll be going alone, even with the price tag I can't convince anyone to come along to the drunken ramblings of Dan Harmon oh well, I haven't seen the doc yet so I'll be doing both at once.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Why would anyone who's not a fan of the podcast go to see the "documentary"?

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I'm eagerly waiting for the NYC Harmontown tickets to go on sale, and I'm excited for guest Comptroller Patton Oswalt.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

The Action Man posted:

I'm eagerly waiting for the NYC Harmontown tickets to go on sale, and I'm excited for guest Comptroller Patton Oswalt.

Oh poo poo! Any idea when the tickets go on sale?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The Action Man posted:

Yeah just saw that announcement. I NEED to be at this show.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Brocktoon posted:

Oh poo poo! Any idea when the tickets go on sale?

It's at the IFC theater, and their site and the Harmontown site have no tickets available yet.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

So I'm still catching up, today I finished 'the pedophile episode'. Je-heeeee-YEEEEEEESUS Christ.

I remember a few warnings earlier in the thread, but apparently they weren't strong enough to stop me, so I'll add my own:

If you're listening to the Harmontowns in order, and you get to Episode 74, Morality, just skip it. Trust me, just skip it. They only play D&D for like ten minutes at the end, get the recap from Spencer next episode and JUST SKIP IT.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

tinstaach posted:

So I'm still catching up, today I finished 'the pedophile episode'. Je-heeeee-YEEEEEEESUS Christ.

I remember a few warnings earlier in the thread, but apparently they weren't strong enough to stop me, so I'll add my own:

If you're listening to the Harmontowns in order, and you get to Episode 74, Morality, just skip it. Trust me, just skip it. They only play D&D for like ten minutes at the end, get the recap from Spencer next episode and JUST SKIP IT.

I didn't listen to the warnings either. Big, big mistake.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I skipped that one and the GENDER POLITICS one based on the short show blurbs alone. I have no regrets

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I recommended the podcast to a someone I've been dating because she's a fan of Community. Initially I said just listen to the most recent one, but a little bit later I came up with some recommendations because this show can be a minefield, and you don't know what's coming.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 18, 2014

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Mind explaining it to people who haven't listened to it?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A self diagnosed man baby rambles on about gender and race, gets drunk, steps over some lines but is aware enough to step back from that line and is charming enough so that you don't hate on him after all that.

also his sister is retarded

I think I've listened to the whole backlog, kinda bummed out.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

TontoCorazon posted:

Mind explaining it to people who haven't listened to it?

You know how Dan Harmon's thing is that he'll throw a ton of poo poo at the wall just so some of it will stick? You know how that sometimes results in 5 minutes of nonsensical verbal diarrhea on a topic he doesn't have the slightest clue about? How he starts yelling "WHY AREN'T ALL OF SOCIETY'S PROBLEMS FIXED WHY AREN'T ALL OUR LIVES PERFECT???" as if that's the solution? Imagine 90 minutes of just that, with 10 minutes of half-hearted D&D tacked onto the end. There's a joke maybe every 10 minutes or so, and it often stems from the fact that Kumail, Spencer, and several audience members are audibly frustrated with how petulant and stupid Dan's being. (Ever the wise comptroller, Jeff stays out of most of this.) I basically hate-listened to the last hour of it instead of turning it off like I should have. Only listen to this if you're curious to find out just how bad this podcast can get, because you will find out, and you will hate yourself for it.

e: That said, I still can't wait to see the movie and I'm gonna try my damndest to get to the NYC show.

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 18, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"Everybody should raise their child gender-neutral."

-a childless middle-aged man

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Haha holy poo poo, just listening to the new one. I'm glad Dan agrees that lovely, Bladerunner weather owns. I love it overcast.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

tinstaach posted:

You know how Dan Harmon's thing is that he'll throw a ton of poo poo at the wall just so some of it will stick? You know how that sometimes results in 5 minutes of nonsensical verbal diarrhea on a topic he doesn't have the slightest clue about? How he starts yelling "WHY AREN'T ALL OF SOCIETY'S PROBLEMS FIXED WHY AREN'T ALL OUR LIVES PERFECT???" as if that's the solution? Imagine 90 minutes of just that, with 10 minutes of half-hearted D&D tacked onto the end. There's a joke maybe every 10 minutes or so, and it often stems from the fact that Kumail, Spencer, and several audience members are audibly frustrated with how petulant and stupid Dan's being. (Ever the wise comptroller, Jeff stays out of most of this.) I basically hate-listened to the last hour of it instead of turning it off like I should have. Only watch this if you're curious to find out just how bad this podcast can get, because you will find out, and you will hate yourself for it.

e: That said, I still can't wait to see the movie and I'm gonna try my damndest to get to the NYC show.

Still less annoying/more entertaining than Duncan Trussel or 45 minutes of "gosh, wow... just wow" with brain aneurysm guy.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I'm usually working or driving while listening to podcasts, so I never am divesting my complete attention to them, so the long periods where Harmon just spews bullshit misinformed opinions mostly to get a rise out of people never seem too grating to me. There's much more there that's so entertaining as the audience who can sometimes be a driving force for the course of the conversation or the reactions of whoever is onstage tries to process the insane bullshit.

While it sometimes gets stuck in place depending on how drunk everyone is, the D&D is a great capstone to each show. Everyone is allowed to be as creative as possible even to the detriment of the overall content but I've never not loved any D&D segment. I think the ones where Harmon is most drunk (when he was killed by the frost giant or where he broke away to have a major introspective moment or when they put on a show) are entertaining as hell.

Though it's driven by a drunk narcissist, I think Harmontown is one of the most honest pieces of entertainment I consume on a regular basis.

Plus, "...I make a five stars."

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Victor Vermis posted:

Still less annoying/more entertaining than Duncan Trussel or 45 minutes of "gosh, wow... just wow" with brain aneurysm guy.

Brain man is probably my least favourite ever.

Sorry dude, but stop peddling your garbage comics nobody gives a poo poo about.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Got tickets for the NYC podcast taping! Harmon AND Patton Oswalt, I'm so pumped! I'd really like to see the movie, too, but I'm not sure if there's enough time to see the movie at 6, then make it uptown for dinner before the podcast taping at 9:30. Anyone know NYC better than I do?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Toronto comptroller will be Bobcat Goldthwait. Fuuuuuck yes

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

The Toronto comptroller will be Bobcat Goldthwait. Fuuuuuck yes

Seriously gently caress yes I was pumped for Jeff but Bobcat! Also think they'll address the elephant in the room?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cerepol posted:

Seriously gently caress yes I was pumped for Jeff but Bobcat! Also think they'll address the elephant in the room?

Probably. I mean, it is his podcast.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Cerepol posted:

Rick and Morty LLC labor practices?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Sakarja posted:

Rick and Morty LLC labor practices?

People that know more about animation business practices: is forming a shell company for an individual show the kind of thing that is likely to have detrimental effects on the staff, or was the timing of that and the unionization just a wacky coincidence?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Skywalker OG posted:

I'm usually working or driving while listening to podcasts, so I never am divesting my complete attention to them, so the long periods where Harmon just spews bullshit misinformed opinions mostly to get a rise out of people never seem too grating to me. There's much more there that's so entertaining as the audience who can sometimes be a driving force for the course of the conversation or the reactions of whoever is onstage tries to process the insane bullshit.

While it sometimes gets stuck in place depending on how drunk everyone is, the D&D is a great capstone to each show. Everyone is allowed to be as creative as possible even to the detriment of the overall content but I've never not loved any D&D segment. I think the ones where Harmon is most drunk (when he was killed by the frost giant or where he broke away to have a major introspective moment or when they put on a show) are entertaining as hell.

Though it's driven by a drunk narcissist, I think Harmontown is one of the most honest pieces of entertainment I consume on a regular basis.

Plus, "...I make a five stars."

Yeah, as awful as the rants can get (no one had warned me about both those terrible episodes and they along with the rant about how Capitalism ruined Justin Bieber, made me quit the podcast for a while), at least they are honest. Dan has terrible uniformed opinions but when he is not giving them, the podcast can be pretty good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Paladin posted:

People that know more about animation business practices: is forming a shell company for an individual show the kind of thing that is likely to have detrimental effects on the staff, or was the timing of that and the unionization just a wacky coincidence?

Every tv-show or movie forms its own company. That way an on-set accident can't cost the parent company millions and millions of dollars.

Edit: It seems lovely for the Unionization to demand action from last thing Friday to first thing Monday.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 20, 2014

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

HUMAN FISH posted:

Sorry dude, but stop peddling your garbage comics nobody gives a poo poo about.

It's amazing to read this thread after the reading the Harmontown subreddit. It's like everyone over there is incapable of seeing a single flaw in Dan or anyone else on the podcast.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

MY ABACUS! posted:

It's amazing to read this thread after the reading the Harmontown subreddit. It's like everyone over there is incapable of seeing a single flaw in Dan or anyone else on the podcast.

Hahahahahahaha nope. You need to click "view children".

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Golden Bee posted:

Hahahahahahaha nope. You need to click "view children".

Yeah, I hate that about Reddit. If you go against popular opinion, your voice is silenced.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Every tv-show or movie forms its own company. That way an on-set accident can't cost the parent company millions and millions of dollars.

Edit: It seems lovely for the Unionization to demand action from last thing Friday to first thing Monday.

Between this and what Typical said over in the R&M thread this is reassuring.

Overall I prefer the isolation of this thread for complaining (or even just discussing) about things if they come up, but I wish the internet wasn't always a choice between obsequiousness and assholery.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Paladin posted:

Between this and what Typical said over in the R&M thread this is reassuring.

It would probably be a good idea to take anything he says a grain of salt. Typical doesn't have the liberty to pop on SA and say "gently caress Dan and gently caress CN, those greedy bastard" because he still depends on them for his lively-hood. There are no coincidences in business. Dan and company may have had perfectly justified reasons for forming a R&M LLC, but they also knew drat well what effect doing so would have on the animators' unionization attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

I... guess I'll just stick to feeling non-specifically lovely about everything.