Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I'm gonna guess that one of these will be the name for the QOL thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

AnarkiJ posted:

Without wanting to spoil much, the last world is a pure challenge, so no gold leaves ever show up there. I'd like to think I'm pretty good at these games but to my shame I have yet to actually beat the last world after hundreds of lives lost. If just finishing the game without using a gold leaf is hard enough I wouldn't worry unless you're seriously up for the challenge.
Yeah it's more the skill of my 5 year old game partner that I'm worried about! Even if we can't beat the last world, she's simply itching to open it up since we've seen everything else.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Champeenship posted:

What is this about? I have no idea what "the QOL thing" is.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

What is this about? I have no idea what "the QOL thing" is.

With sales of the Wiiu low Iwata decided to branch out to the currently hot health branch of the market. He calls is QOL or Quality of Life. Miyamoto has to work his magic to make it fun. Nothing else is known.

Those trademark names are funny.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I beat the last world of 2 player with a friend. We did the infinite lives trick first and got up to like, 500 or so. I'm pretty sure by the time we were done we were down to 200?

It's really, really hard. By the end we had broken down the whole level into sections where we would alternate who would do what based on the characters we were using. So let Peach do the part where you have to bounce your way past the plants, switch to Rosalina for the triple jump during the musical blocks, when swimming always let Peach go behind because she can recover back into the water if she pops out.

It felt good to beat.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'm currently trying to get through Champion's Road. I got stuck for a looong time at the part where you have to ascend that staircase of musical blocks, and all of a sudden the stairs go from alternating red-blue to red-red-blue-blue. I've gotten to the very last part probably 20 times now but always end up dying there.

edit: This is the part I got hung up on. Understanding how to do this took a long time.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 18, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm currently trying to get through Champion's Road. I got stuck for a looong time at the part where you have to ascend that staircase of musical blocks, and all of a sudden the stairs go from alternating red-blue to red-red-blue-blue. I've gotten to the very last part probably 20 times now but always end up dying there.

Raccoon suit. I've done it without the raccoon suit, but the float lets you have plenty of leeway with the timing and makes it much easier.

The trick to the swimming, FWIW, is to not use the analog stick. Switch to the digital pad so that you're only hitting left and right and you won't fall out.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA dudes, Best Buy has COD:BO2, ZombiU and Ninja Gaiden 3 for $8:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/save-on-select-wii-u-titles

Anyone know how to get Amazon to price match? I would like to pick up ZombiU, but the Best Buys around me don't have it, and I don't care enough to go through the hassle of making a Best Buy account online.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Akuma posted:

Yeah it's more the skill of my 5 year old game partner that I'm worried about! Even if we can't beat the last world, she's simply itching to open it up since we've seen everything else.

It's been really neat hearing people in the thread talk about playing with their kids. You guys seem like cool parents. I wish my folks had been more involved like that in my childhood.

Anyway, even if you unlock the last world it's a small handful of challenging levels, a couple of which are rather lengthy so if you can't get passed the early parts you won't see most of the levels. If you're both having fun I'd definitely recommend New Super Mario Bros. U as well. Although I think 3D World is the better game, NSMBU is still well-executed and can be a lot of fun. Plus there you could either both play as characters like 3D World or you could help your game partner out by making platforms for them.

Fremry posted:

Anyone know how to get Amazon to price match? I would like to pick up ZombiU, but the Best Buys around me don't have it, and I don't care enough to go through the hassle of making a Best Buy account online.

Sorry, but a quick check says you might be out of luck.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wouldn't going through some price match procedures be just as tedious?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

Wouldn't going through some price match procedures be just as tedious?

Yeah, probably. And talking about it on here isn't making my case any better.

Edit: And shipping is not included. I might as well just spend the extra $3 to get it from Amazon.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 18, 2014

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

CatsPajamas posted:

It's been really neat hearing people in the thread talk about playing with their kids. You guys seem like cool parents. I wish my folks had been more involved like that in my childhood.

Anyway, even if you unlock the last world it's a small handful of challenging levels, a couple of which are rather lengthy so if you can't get passed the early parts you won't see most of the levels. If you're both having fun I'd definitely recommend New Super Mario Bros. U as well. Although I think 3D World is the better game, NSMBU is still well-executed and can be a lot of fun. Plus there you could either both play as characters like 3D World or you could help your game partner out by making platforms for them.

Sorry, but a quick check says you might be out of luck.
Thanks, we have NSMBU but can't play it together because you stupidly can't have one player using the gamepad so we don't have enough controllers.

Even if we did I don't think she enjoys it as much, though - she likes to play by herself but NSMB is a lot more punishing for failure, if you lose your lives you're sent back to the beginning of the world. We did try the 2 player assist thing but she's not quite good enough to do it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if you did the assisting and put down platforms for pits? Rather than its intended purpose of sending her plummeting to her death.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

What's a Wii U like if you're a loser who mostly prefers to play games in single player

Wii U games look really silly and cute and like they don't take themselves too seriously, which is extremely cool to me, but they also look like they put a pretty big focus on coop? Would I be able to have much fun with this system on my own

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Torka posted:

What's a Wii U like if you're a loser who mostly prefers to play games in single player

Wii U games look really silly and cute and like they don't take themselves too seriously, which is extremely cool to me, but they also look like they put a pretty big focus on coop? Would I be able to have much fun with this system on my own

Absolutely. Plenty of games don't have any co-op at all, and even the ones that do are great fun to play by yourself! Super Mario 3D World comes to mind. Great to play by yourself or with a friend!

Wonderful 101 and Lego City don't even have co-op (that I'm aware of) and are all-around great games! Plus, you get the rare game that has online multiplayer, like Mario Kart 8 and the upcoming Super Smash Brothers.

Just avoid Nintendoland if you're only playing by yourself. That game is really best enjoyed with other people.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Torka posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Most of my friends either don't play videogames or live in the suburbs and are unwilling to come into the city, so I'm pretty much relegated to single player. It's still a fantastic system, and even the multiplayer games have great and robust single player (I prefer single player games anyway).

But yeah, there's plenty fun to have with the system. It's gotten me back into gaming in a way that I haven't been in years and I think it's precisely because of the silly and cute games that don't take them seriously. Also, Mega Man X. I know I've said it a couple times, but I'm so glad Wildtortilla posted about it being a perfect game, because I had pretty much over the years just written it off, but drat if it's not one of the best games I've played in years.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

3d World/Tropical Freeze/New Super Mario U is a must-have platforming trifecta. They have co-op but are all awesome single player experiences. If you're not into platformers your mileage may vary but you pretty much have to buy a Wii U if you like that kind of game.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Tender Bender posted:

3d World/Tropical Freeze/New Super Mario U is a must-have platforming trifecta. They have co-op but are all awesome single player experiences. If you're not into platformers your mileage may vary but you pretty much have to buy a Wii U if you like that kind of game.

Don't forget Rayman!

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Okay good to hear, thanks guys :)

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Silver Falcon posted:

Wonderful 101 and Lego City don't even have co-op (that I'm aware of)

Actually Wonderful 101 has a five player co-op mode

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Nintendo is the last bastion for awesome platforming games.

Rest in peace Jak & Daxter 1.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

whaley posted:

Actually Wonderful 101 has a five player co-op mode

For clarification, it's more of a mission mode separate from the main campaign and it's co-op in the same way NSMB is in that you have the option to totally dick over your allies and steal all of their Wonderful Ones.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PoshAlligator posted:

Man, I looooooved Jak & Daxter 1, and I still use it as the indicator of when platforming games died on consoles because of what became of the series (I still played them all).

I love platforming games and missed out of a lot on the Wii, so I'm extremely happy with the Wii U.

Edit: Also, despite just talking about how none of my friends play video games, I did convince 2 of my friends to come into the city and play Wii U with me tomorrow. I haven't gotten a chance to go through Nintendoland beyond the Zelda minigame. What games should we check out when we take a crack at it tomorrow?

Fremry fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 18, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Champeenship posted:

Nintendo has cooties!

...I mean Qudiis!

pankus
Jul 30, 2003

Fremry posted:

Man, I looooooved Jak & Daxter 1, and I still use it as the indicator of when platforming games died on consoles because of what became of the series (I still played them all).

I love platforming games and missed out of a lot on the Wii, so I'm extremely happy with the Wii U.

Edit: Also, despite just talking about how none of my friends play video games, I did convince 2 of my friends to come into the city and play Wii U with me tomorrow. I haven't gotten a chance to go through Nintendoland beyond the Zelda minigame. What games should we check out when we take a crack at it tomorrow?

All of the competitive ones. Metroid is pretty fun as well but you need nunchucks.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Metroid and Zelda are both pretty great if they're more into games. Pikmin's only ok. All the competitive games are pretty good but I think they work better with 4 people total, the person who's by themselves tends to have a pretty significant advantage if it's 1v2, which I guess is ok if one or more of you suck.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Burning my way through New Super Mario Wii, and I'm having a good time - but is it worth my time to track down every last drat star coin? I love the concept of the coins and REALLY dig the whole hint video mechanic (which I heard isn't in the new WiiU sequel), but I'm dreading the idea of picking through each and every level for the coins that I've missed. I know some people adore the hell out of that side of the game, but I much prefer the Hop N Bop twitch stuff to the more secret-heavy side of the mario series.

Is the hidden world gobsmackingly awesome? I'd youtube it but I kinda want to experience em myself, if I decide to go for it.

If I had more time I'd gladly run my way through all the collectibles, but I still want to tackle the other games in the series - and might even take a swipe at replaying some of the 3d mario games too.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Just rebought a Wii U after selling my first one (it was an impulse buy AND an impulse sell). I think I'm gonna stick around for much longer though this time. I've been playing Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 a ton each. I'm not really big into the Mario Kart series, but MK8 is the most fun I've had with a racing game in a long time.

It's also good to own Earthbound again after my original SNES version completely died on me.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Burning my way through New Super Mario Wii, and I'm having a good time - but is it worth my time to track down every last drat star coin? I love the concept of the coins and REALLY dig the whole hint video mechanic (which I heard isn't in the new WiiU sequel), but I'm dreading the idea of picking through each and every level for the coins that I've missed. I know some people adore the hell out of that side of the game, but I much prefer the Hop N Bop twitch stuff to the more secret-heavy side of the mario series.

Is the hidden world gobsmackingly awesome? I'd youtube it but I kinda want to experience em myself, if I decide to go for it.

If I had more time I'd gladly run my way through all the collectibles, but I still want to tackle the other games in the series - and might even take a swipe at replaying some of the 3d mario games too.

It's a single bonus world, with a stage for every world you pack all the coins in for. Doesn't even have a castle... Which made it pretty disappointing when I finally got there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

edit: This is the part I got hung up on. Understanding how to do this took a long time.

I just cheated and used Rosalina, jumping and then spinning every half second.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Jsor posted:

You mean the gold Tanooki suit? Nah, you don't get permanently locked out, but you do have to replay the level without using the suit to unlock it.
That's not even true, using the gold Tanooki suit in 3D World won't lock you out of anything, it will just show up as the stars displayed on your save file not sparkling. Use it to your heart's content if you don't care about that, and just replay whatever level you used it in to beat it without, otherwise. Be warned though that you won't get a gold Tanooki suit in the final level of the game, no matter how many times you die, so using it a lot in the earlier levels will leave you woefully unprepared for the challenge of that level. Not like there's anything that COULD prepare you for that, though :v:

EDIT:

PoshAlligator posted:

Well to be fair, Ubisoft made a valiant effort with Rayman Legends. That game can absolutely hold its own with the best of Nintendo's output.

PrBacterio fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 18, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I wouldn't normally post this small bit of news, but from what I've read over the last couple months, a bunch of people in here love Sonic.

joystiq.com posted:

Sega moved the Wii U Rise of Lyric edition of Sonic Boom up to November 11, a week ahead of its previously announced November 18 ETA.

Barely any more information here.

Also, eShop update:

joystiq.com posted:

Wii U
•Wild Guns (Natsume, 2 players simultaneous, $8)
•Arrow Time U (XenoHorizon, 1 player, $2)
•Spikey Walls (RCMADIAX, 1 player, $1)

3DS
•Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (Square Enix, 2 players simultaneous, $40)
•Cooking Mama 5: Bon Appetit (Majesco Entertainment, 4 players, $30)
•Legend of the River King 2 (Natsume, 1 player, $5)
•FIFA 15 (EA, 2 players simultaneous, available Sept. 23, price TBA)
•Horse Vet 3D (TREVA Entertainment GmbH, players & price TBA)
•Secret Empires of the Ancient Worlds (Selectsoft, 1 player, $5)

More info/commentary here.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

TheKingofSprings posted:

I just cheated and used Rosalina, jumping and then spinning every half second.

That part's actually not so bad with a basic character once you figure out a jumping sequence that gets you through. Basically, you have to sprint like crazy, then go backwards one step for the last pair of steps, then sprint again. If you try to sprint through the whole thing there's simply not enough time unless you get it perfect down to the nanosecond. The real problem is that it's difficult to even practice these sections because you have to grind through the beginning every single time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New Itagaki interview on Devil's Third:

http://www.valhallagamestudios.com/en/2014/09/thought-2014-09.html

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I saw the GameTrailers review of Hyrule Warriors. It got a tepid score and the reviewer groused about the repetitive combat, but I played Dynasty Warriors 7 to completion and sank well over 100 hours in Sengoku Basara 3. And then it mentions the secret levels, and the adventure map, and the enemy variety, and the alternate weapon abilities.

I'm going to be in some real loving trouble when this game's released.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
From waht I've read it's a good Musou game but it doesn't manage to overcome the flaws of the genre. Also the game supposedly gets horrid slowdown in multiplayer and looks like a wii game when played off the gamepad.

Still getting it though.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005
I tried for a couple of days to buy a refurbished unit, but the website just wouldn't complete my order, so I got a $299 nintendoland+mario 3d bundle off Amazon instead. Not impressed, Nintendo of Canada!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I ordered a refurb wii u this morning with 2 day shipping in anticipation of Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2. Pray for the safe arrival of my wii u goons

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I just bought zombiu should I play it first or just put it directly in the garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemming posted:

I just bought zombiu should I play it first or just put it directly in the garbage?

Play that good game.

• Locked thread