Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Congrats on almost pushing out a big, padded list of mostly superfluous changes, I guess the whiny ingrates that make up a majority of the people still following the game can't complain about how you haven't done anything for 8 months, soon :^)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
So we'll have a game in 3 years?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

:jerkbag:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Supernorn posted:

Here's a partial changelog for the next stable update, guys:

Clearly, the game is dead.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Magmarashi posted:

Click on profile button, and then on 'Add user to your ignore list' and then stop engaging him in any form of conversation, please. Only You can prevent shitpost enabling.
So take your own advice and stop quoting this garbage?

:wtc:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Jackard posted:

So take your own advice and stop quoting this garbage?

:wtc:

Yeah actually it's fairly frustrating to have people on my ignore list still be able to talk to me because they're being quoted. Clearly the solution is everyone should share my ignore list.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
* Rebalance hunger

The game has been saved. What a pain in the rear end that was.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Ugh how dare those PEOPLE type WORDS at ME I'm so ANGRY at the INTERNET!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

MrLonghair posted:

* Rebalance hunger

The game has been saved. What a pain in the rear end that was.

I wonder what that even means, given the changes they made to the warmth system. I love that changelog, and how you'll see like three or four entries in a row that are just "Added one specific new hammer" or whatever, and other single entries are just "Reworked this entire important gameplay system" with no more detail than that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

XboxPants posted:

I wonder what that even means, given the changes they made to the warmth system. I love that changelog, and how you'll see like three or four entries in a row that are just "Added one specific new hammer" or whatever, and other single entries are just "Reworked this entire important gameplay system" with no more detail than that.
Do the nightlies provide context for some of those entries?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

So when is the update with all those changes going to be released?
Still nothing about adding an option to bookmark planets that i could see, which is a shame.

Kly fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 18, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Gee, I wonder how Starbound is doing, I haven't checked the thread in like a y:stare:

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
Giant list of major changes, people still complain because I assume "everyone else is doing it!".

Any ETA on the next stable update? I'm itching to play this again.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

XboxPants posted:

I love that changelog, and how you'll see like three or four entries in a row that are just "Added one specific new hammer" or whatever, and other single entries are just "Reworked this entire important gameplay system" with no more detail than that.

This is also my favourite thing.

The team is currently in 'crunch' as they make a final push to get this massive update out onto the stable branch. It's probably not going to happen imminently, and there'll be a significantly larger changelog when that happens.

I expect it'll be organised into specific sections, like 'gameplay', 'performance' 'fixes' etc.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

XboxPants posted:

Yeah! I'm glad this is out but I want to know more about the systems they rebalanced!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Gee, I wonder how Starbound is doing, I haven't checked the thread in like a y:stare:
Don't worry, there's an update any day now that fixes everything. :haw:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

XboxPants posted:

Making changelogs is a huge pain in the rear end :(

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Shoehead posted:

Yeah! I'm glad this is out but I want to know more about the systems they rebalanced!

You will now be required to have a mic and must make pickax sounds repeatedly to do any mining whatsoever.

End game glass producing now involves nuking an entire planet from orbit then beaming down and chipping off as much as you need. You get prettier colors the closer you get to (formerly) populated areas!

You know that rad poster with the dinosaurs decked out in battle gear and shooting lasers and poo poo? That's a biome now.

Also there's a new Neutral biome but I don't feel particularly strong about it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Literally Kermit posted:

You will now be required to have a mic and must make pickax sounds repeatedly to do any mining whatsoever.
Holy poo poo. I think you just invented a new genre.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Vib Rib posted:

Holy poo poo. I think you just invented a new genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYPwYfbi8jA

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

End game glass producing now involves nuking an entire planet from orbit then beaming down and chipping off as much as you need. You get prettier colors the closer you get to (formerly) populated areas!

Okay that's a pretty awesome idea and now I want it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I wouldn't mind this pick-tiers idea if things like sand-mining still existed, and if more tools were added to let you get higher tier ore without the right pick. Blasting charges, come the gently caress on don't deny us the coolest way to mine.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
So I heard the devs are thinking of making Starbound open source. Are there more details on that? The blog only mentions they're "going to open source Starbound one day."

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Where did you hear that?

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
There, under "Open Source"

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's high priority and they're "cleaning up the code" for it right now. Basically they don't like where their economic interests are going so they trying to cash out by hoping somebody with more output in their free time than their team has in the office they all moved to in London makes a total conversion mod that sells the game for them without having to lift a finger.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Do you even read what you post anymore or do you just let your fingers go for a walk and see where they end up?

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Is there a release date for the new stable patch? I'd be interested in picking up this game again for quests and Novakids

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Octolady posted:

Is there a release date for the new stable patch? I'd be interested in picking up this game again for quests and Novakids

Adding to this, will this break any saves? I'm about to start a Starbound binge this week but I'd rather hold off if something is coming around the corner.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Octolady posted:

Guess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Supernorn posted:

Here's a partial changelog for the next stable update, guys:

I'll have you know that the good posters Devour or Fire and Afraid of Audio at SomethingAwfulDotCom have declared the game dead. They are both seasoned industry veterans who Know Video Game Development and you cannot trick me with your lies. :colbert:

I didn't see any lines that mentioned reverting the sand/gravel ore-eating thing though. :ohdear:

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Devour or Fire posted:

It's high priority and they're "cleaning up the code" for it right now. Basically they don't like where their economic interests are going so they trying to cash out by hoping somebody with more output in their free time than their team has in the office they all moved to in London makes a total conversion mod that sells the game for them without having to lift a finger.

I'm not a huge fan of chucklefish but holy poo poo this is some Jews did 9/11 conspiracy theorizing

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Someone let me know when the patch notes for this thread get posted.

Changelist for this post:

*Fixed issue where word "what" appeared in place of word "when".

mutata fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 18, 2014

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Devour or Fire posted:

These posts are the only interesting ones in the thread at this point, shine on you crazy diamond.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Here's your patch notes

*shut up, nerd

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'll have you know that the good posters Devour or Fire and Afraid of Audio at SomethingAwfulDotCom have declared the game dead. They are both seasoned industry veterans who Know Video Game Development and you cannot trick me with your lies. :colbert:

I didn't see any lines that mentioned reverting the sand/gravel ore-eating thing though. :ohdear:

Yes this sure is an update that is out and can be played currently. Boy is my face red.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
The real reason why the game has been so stagnant is the puppy ate most of the design documents

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Evil Fluffy posted:

Beyond the fact that it's not the complete notes, technically, they're the update to the existing stable branch, in which the ore thing isn't currently present. Not much point in having a note that says "We were going to make this change, but decided not to".

(Not that we have any indication at the moment of them deciding to revert the change, of course.)

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
"Farty Alarm" please watch what you say because the word "Puppy" Triggers me.
I am Literally shaking right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Devour or Fire posted:

Wasn't this basically what mojang did? Suddenly said "this is 1.0", let anything even remotely interesting be done via mods and had completely different companies do their ports?

• Locked thread