Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Wheany posted:

i like betamax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i use the free team fortress server hosting you get from visualstudio.com for home projects. its actually way nice. I like 2 send builds to their server and then download the results even though I have a perfectly fine local build.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Wheany posted:

i like mercurial

don't you mean Hg :newlol:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

anyone have an equivalently good Perforce reference/guide? the new team uses it, and there are so many slashes and strange terms.

so did your team all come out of the game industry or what

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wheany posted:

which is why you use tortoisehg

hg's native cli and mq are so good why would you want tortise

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cause command line is archaic garbage

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
at work every package is its own git repo and teams are now starting to develop more packages simultaneously (from maybe 2-3 to 7-10). teams are slowly building up tools to manage git at the workspace level but i'm really confused why our tools teams haven't done more to alleviate this problem. at least their tackling things that individual teams couldn't reasonably work on themselves, like atomic commits across multiple packages and linking said commits.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
bower is loving garbage trash for shitbags and it makes me super angry when I see it used

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
git is okay if you're in a baby company and each developer needs to work on multiple issues at once so you have a different branch for each.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i went to an internal convention in spring that had a talk about "making our build tools better" and i thought hey this is something i'm interested in lets take a look.

and it was basically this guy showing off node and bower or whatever and saying look at all these templates and look at how fast it builds why cant we build faster?

not to say we couldn't improve our build times but most of the crowd was p dismissive of a dude who couldnt understand how a system that just pulls the HEAD of a repo is not applicable to us and how we build software.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FamDav posted:

so did your team all come out of the game industry or what

many of the original ones, yeah; most VR people seem to have. I don't think it's a great choice now, but "hi I'm your new manager and we're changing version control systems!" isn't really how I want to roll

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

MononcQc posted:

(PDF, 31 pages)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
hg is scientifically proven to cause brain damage, i'm gonna stick with git thanks

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

rotor posted:

bower is loving garbage trash for shitbags and it makes me super angry when I see it used

thank you!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

i know, right.

just use the workflow i posted

the difference between git and hg: to understand git, you have to read a pdf that explains its philosophy "from the bottom up". to understand hg, you just read its manual.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rotor posted:

:agreed:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Wheany posted:

i know, right.

just use the workflow i posted

the difference between git and hg: to understand git, you have to read a pdf that explains its philosophy "from the bottom up". to understand hg, you just read its manual.

ok i will switch to hg

hopefully there is something like better than gitolite

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Well, there's your problem.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
use git, its simple

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

ok i will switch to hg

Are you trying to setup a central repo for git?

Just create a new git on a remote server and ask everyone to push to there. There's literally nothing else to it. Just some admin and network janitoring.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you use emacs (lol), use magit. It's amazing.

Use emacs for Magit and orgmode and nothing else

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

ok i will switch to hg

use something like rhodecode to help you merge and examine commits easily until you understand everything

https://rhodecode.com/features

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hg's native cli and mq are so good why would you want tortise

Use Tortoise Explorer integration to view changes, use command line tools for everything else.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I used to furiously hate git (the stupid name, the smug manual, the impenetrable user interface, the linuxisms, how it united tech bros and sperglords in unconditional cock-worship love) but I found that Sourcetree makes it not just tolerable but enjoyable. I am now a happy git and github user after 10 years of svn monogamy

(... the immature terminology, linus torvalds, github's lolrandom logo and childish 404 page...)

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
i'd like to thank anyone for saying git is utter poo poo. it really means a lot to me. :downs:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

my stepdads beer posted:

use something like rhodecode to help you merge and examine commits easily until you understand everything

https://rhodecode.com/features

works for windows and linux only rofl

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Just use Sourcetree nerds

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i found there was bit of an initial learning curve with git, but once past that it is incredibly easy to use and reliable. i do use tig for history/diff looking at though.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Damiya posted:

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

works for windows and linux only rofl

isn't this a server product? what else would you run it on

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

b0lt posted:

isn't this a server product? what else would you run it on

oh i failed to get it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

i use the free team fortress server hosting you get from visualstudio.com for home projects. its actually way nice. I like 2 send builds to their server and then download the results even though I have a perfectly fine local build.

what class do you play?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

AlsoD posted:

don't you mean Hg :newlol:

oh my god for the first time I got this :aaaaa:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Damiya posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
my position vis a vis git is well known but it's a thing now whether I like it or not so meh. at least it's not perforce I guess.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
What the hell is Kotlin?

Not-Scala?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shaggar posted:

same

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

minidracula posted:

What the hell is Kotlin?

Not-Scala?

p much

i've been using fossil recently, it's like hg cept I haven't run into any repository corruption issues in fossil yet (unlike hg 3 years ago). standard commands:

fossil commit --comment "my commit message" --branch newBranchName
fossil add .
fossil pull
fossil clone
fossil branch
fossil help <command name>
fossil ui

it doesn't have a good gui utility yet, but it has a built in webui which is pretty nice and is pretty flexible in how you theme it

also, it has an autosync feature where changes are pushed/pulled automatically every time you commit

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
sourcetree is good, but they shitted up the file-selection interface a couple of weeks ago. i don't know what they were thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

prefect posted:

sourcetree is good, but they shitted up the file-selection interface a couple of weeks ago. i don't know what they were thinking

file a ticket

atlassian support is p awesome if your request is reasonable i'm sure theyll addreds it