Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mojang isn't a good comparison because unlike Chucklefish, they never had any clear road maps or goals they were trying to hit when it came to 1.0, so they could drop it at literally just any time and no one could call them out on it.

I mean, yeah, Starbound's goals change every now and then, but at least they have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Slime posted:

I wouldn't mind this pick-tiers idea if things like sand-mining still existed, and if more tools were added to let you get higher tier ore without the right pick. Blasting charges, come the gently caress on don't deny us the coolest way to mine.

Also a perfectly legit way to mine IRL.

Well, maybe not exactly legit, panning doesn't involve causing cave-ins and deliberately standing beneath them.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
It's true, finishing Starbound isnt about finishing Starbound. Its all an elaborate ruse to.. umm...uh..

huh.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Supernorn posted:

It's true, finishing Starbound isnt about finishing Starbound. Its all an elaborate ruse to.. umm...uh..

huh.

whatever man, you're one of them. You sold out

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
It was a joke you idiots holy poo poo

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Afraid of Audio posted:

It was a joke you idiots holy poo poo

What, you think someone would just "Get a Joke" here on Something Awful, Internets most unfunny place?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i'm sure it's actually people somehow missing a hilarious joke and not just pointing out that the 50th witty zinger about starbound being a scam is really tired and sounds half a step away from talking about reptilians

also, why is there no reptilian playable species in starbound. they're a staple for sci-fi settings.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

also, why is there no reptilian playable species in starbound. they're a staple for sci-fi settings.

You can play as bird people, and birds are dinosaurs, so that's probably close enough right?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Would the hunger system framework make for an easy modding addition of hydration and sleep needs also, for the obsessive among us? Actually, there might already be mods for that, I just haven't looked into mods. Been waiting for closer to 1.0 (cue DoF post).

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

yeah, i'm sure it's actually people somehow missing a hilarious joke and not just pointing out that the 50th witty zinger about starbound being a scam is really tired and sounds half a step away from talking about reptilians

Considering the biggest masturbators in this thread are also FYAD regulars, it's really only a matter of time.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Mods, please move the thread to GBS, where it truly belongs.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

graynull posted:

Been waiting for closer to 1.0

http://youtu.be/cY3tHQJegOM?t=3m42s

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So what happened in this thread since the release? There were happy posts and happy servers and happy experiences. Now, something has changed.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

Wasn't this basically what mojang did? Suddenly said "this is 1.0", let anything even remotely interesting be done via mods and had completely different companies do their ports?

No see Chucklefish is better than Mojang because of their track record of their work ethic they seem nice.

WarpedNaba posted:

Considering the biggest masturbators in this thread are also FYAD regulars, it's really only a matter of time.

Lol.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

I don't like the words you typed, so I'm putting you on ignore.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Rrussom posted:

Mods, please move the thread to GBS, where it truly belongs.

I think imp zone wouldn't mind borrowing it :mrgw:

Supernorn posted:

huh.

The game has had no work done on it in a long time and Chucklefish has started publishing a half dozen other games

There's no ruse or conspiracy, it's just a game being left to hang out and dry while all the devs do whatever tickles their fancy.

Minera fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 19, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Minrad posted:

i don't think there would be much difference compared to how it is now

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Minrad posted:

If this thread gets gassed I'd do the Gas Chamber Challenge and have it placed there, Buuuut its for white boards only.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Minrad posted:

The game has had no work done on it in a long time and Chucklefish has started publishing a half dozen other games

By "Publishing" you mean just letting them come out to zero fanfare or promotion while hoovering up cash from what limited sales they get, right? Because the only "Chucklefish" published game that has actually sold anything is Risk of Rain, and wouldn't you know it, Chucklefish is no longer listed as the publisher for it.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Minrad posted:

There's no ruse or conspiracy, it's just a game being left to hang out and dry while all the devs do whatever tickles their fancy.

The devs had said multiple times that the team working on Starbound don't have anything to do with publishing, but I don't care what they say.

ITS ALL BEEN A PACK OF LIES

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I AM BRAWW posted:

What does this have to do with anything?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Minrad posted:

The game has had no work done on it in a long time
We've finally gotten to the point where I can't tell if people actually believe this or are just saying it to keep it going.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Party Alarm posted:

The devs had said multiple times that the team working on Starbound don't have anything to do with publishing, but I don't care what they say.

ITS ALL BEEN A PACK OF LIES

*DRUM SOLO*

AND I CAN FEEL IT COMING IN THE AIR TONIGHT, OH LORD

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
No onomatopoeia, I award you no points

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

So we'll have a game in 3 years?

2017 is unironically when I think the game will be totally feature complete. I'm just coming into the thread to see what's the haps on other Starbound news. Like people running around like they're on fire about the 'sekret gooooon sub for-rum!'

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I really like this thread and the promise of a Starbound update. Thread provides the laughs when I really need them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I never thought the game was dead. I just haven't thought literally everything that's been changed or announced was a good change :v:

Still plenty of cool stuff between my :qq: regarding combat survivability/downtime when you get hit once or twice. Everyone loves the Novakids but I'd probably stick with Apex if only for the roasted banana and banana bread. Those are a godsend, even if you find seeds to grow those trees that drop plant fiber. Especially once you hit Impervium armor.

But with all the nice looking combat balanced changes that are going in (no more death touch on zero to 90 MPH land monsters with better air maneuverability than birds), I'm hopeful that will eventually be dealt with officially, not just told "Learn 2 Mod if you don't like it then". Or praying they don't follow TellTale's example with Space Base going from "We're totally finishing those features and not abandoning it guys. Pay no attention to us pulling down the dev feature list", then a month later saying "We're done, don't worry we're handing out the code and you can just mod things in yourself!!" Pedantic insurance edit: Yes I know Starbound just put OUT a development plan list, not removed one.

quote:

Added homing missiles for monster usage

Stuff like this, meanwhile. Is why I'm still childishly impatient for more convenient recovery options. Which would turn such a thing from 'oh, really?' to 'Oh, that's cool' in my worth less than imaginary monopoly money opinion.

quote:

* New "Essential Bar" beneath player hotbar. Stores matter manipulator, paint tool and wire tool, with hotkeys

Then you got stuff like this showing that yes, they are paying attention to QOL details.

quote:

* Drills, pickaxes and other mining tools now break permanently but have far greater power. Provide temporary mining boost.
* Matter Manipulator can now be permanently upgraded and improved

Then there's stuff that I have no idea what to think about, until we see it in action. Kneejerk reaction to permanently breaking stuff aside, with my RNG luck in how long every character in the past has taken to make a copper pickaxe in the first place. So I'd expect my tier appropriate picks to constantly break before I can upgrade my manipulator. Common ore results when I was last playing for multiple characters in the old stable would include- 11 copper, 100+ iron after making an anvil and iron bow, iron hammer, 80+ silver and gold.

In theory it could work out okay, but the RNG is a cruel mistress.

EDIT:

packetmantis posted:

spacebase df9 isn't a telltale game idiot

:eng99:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 19, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

RareAcumen posted:

2017 is unironically when I think the game will be totally feature complete. I'm just coming into the thread to see what's the haps on other Starbound news. Like people running around like they're on fire about the 'sekret gooooon sub for-rum!'

We called it "The Goonspiracy" and while it's over now I still get some paypal cash from our money funneling.

I mean Rosie ate it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Avocados posted:

So what happened in this thread since the release? There were happy posts and happy servers and happy experiences. Now, something has changed.

There's hasn't been an actual release yet, unless you're counting the stable/unstable update builds to the beta, and in that case, there hasn't been one in a few months. This is standard Goon fare, when you don't see updates to something for a long time and there's nothing to really talk about, threads get a little dumb. I mean, yeah, there's a blog that tells us what they're working on, but that's not the same as being able to get your hands on something and actually experience all the cool biz they're talking about.

The world ain't changed, your eyes just got wider

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
6 months, there hasn't been an update in 6 months.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Afraid of Audio posted:

uh no there's the nightlies that have added...

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Afraid of Audio posted:

Six months a slave to autism.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Section Z posted:

Or praying they don't follow TellTale's example with Space Base going from "We're totally finishing those features and not abandoning it guys. Pay no attention to us pulling down the dev feature list", then a month later saying "We're done, don't worry we're handing out the code and you can just mod things in yourself!!"

spacebase df9 isn't a telltale game idiot

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Minrad posted:

uh no there's the nightlies that have added...
Lots of improvements! Like making everything harder to mind and making progression way slower!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Asimo posted:

Lots of improvements! Like making everything harder to mind and making progression way slower!

The game is in alpha right now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dibujante posted:

Pretty please, asking now, begging even.

Let us not go down that dark road of "This early access thing labeled, stated in official FAQS, and sold as a Beta is actually an Alpha because-" derailing into a a train tunnel that is actually just a painting on a mountainside.

EDIT: vvv But I haven't posted about combat :spergin: for at least four pages before this one :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 19, 2014

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Dibujante posted:

It is important that at least half a page of posts be dedicated to repeating the same handful of complaints as the last page, otherwise the thread isn't edgy enough

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Section Z posted:

Pretty please, asking now, begging even.

Let us not go down that dark road of "This early access thing labeled, stated in official FAQS, and sold as a Beta is actually an Alpha because-" derailing into a a train tunnel that is actually just a painting on a mountainside.

EDIT: vvv But I haven't posted about combat :spergin: for at least four pages before this one :downs:

It doesn't matter that they have quite incorrectly labeled their game - they're still not only adding fundamental mechanics, but creating completely new ones. That's alpha. They haven't even gotten to the balancing stage yet that's indicative of beta. If they are spending a substantial percentage of their cycles on balance then I guess they are just not scheduling their time well.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Magmarashi posted:

It is important that at least half a page of posts be dedicated to repeating the same handful of complaints as the last page, otherwise the thread isn't edgy enough

Hey, how will I ever impress the internet if I don't act sufficiently enraged about the state of a video game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011

Dibujante posted:

You say that like it's an excuse when it's just evidence of CF being incompetent.

• Locked thread