Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Meet Vulvatron, the new co-face of GWAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Dragged Into Sunlight have just announced a European tour along with a poster by Hugo Silva. It's mega pretty, I've really started to fall in love with his style and I hope more bands will get him to do their work.

Anyway, here's a link to all of the dates for anyone interested: http://www.bandsintown.com/draggedintosunlight

I'll be hitting up London and Bristol, will be nice to see some folk :)

Solefald fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 18, 2014

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I saw this in here so apologies if this was already mentioned, but I came across the band Crimson Shadows today and holy poo poo they are amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snI-FiyM7Dg

https://play.spotify.com/album/03SNZfJCb3670O0pmOb1am

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Crimson Shadows are pretty much exactly Dragonforce with harsh vocals and I absolutely adore them for it

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

They're touring with Alestorm, so they're okay in my book!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I'm down for this. I hope she gets to do the spraying for Sick of You.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
PART BIONIC
AND ORGANIC
NOT A CYBORG
CALL HER VULVATRON

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
Mentioned it in the GBS thread already, Vulvatron is awful. Name sucks, the costume sucks, she's just a PG-13 Slymenstra. I like her voice but what Gwar needs is another performance artist instead of someone to fill a suit that someone else in the band came up with.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

fatherdog posted:

PART BIONIC
AND ORGANIC
NOT A CYBORG
CALL HER VULVATRON

indeed

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Crimson Shadows are pretty much exactly Dragonforce with harsh vocals
Glad I wasn't the only one to get that impression. I was like "Hey, it's like Dragonforce had a baby with Amon Amarth." This is pretty fun stuff.

Fake edit: Oh hey look, they have a fat neckbearded guy, and another guy wearing a fedora! What a charmingly goony band. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJh7fSr0cRc

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
They seem OK but that guitar tone is reaaaaaaaaaally boring and flat sounding. Say what you will about 3IoB, but they had great guitar sound.
http://youtu.be/XUd4Cbc49mg

Speaking of metal bands with great loving bass, Doomriders kick rear end, everyone should listen to them more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWFyNOLSXjA#t=2649

I also don't know if I've asked this here before but why do metal dudes love Volbeat so much? Don't get me wrong, I like Volbeat they are pretty cool dudes and stuff, but every metal person I know will not shut the gently caress up about them. I saw my buddy who got me into awesome harder metal stuff and even HE was super into them. I know Metal Sucks loves them tons but I didn't think they had the serious reach to make it a "thing" (it's also possible Oregon is just stupid in order to make up for how good our Black Metal is).

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 19, 2014

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I also don't know if I've asked this here before but why do metal dudes love Volbeat so much? Don't get me wrong, I like Volbeat they are pretty cool dudes and stuff, but every metal person I know will not shut the gently caress up about them. I saw my buddy who got me into awesome harder metal stuff and even HE was super into them. I know Metal Sucks loves them tons but I didn't think they had the serious reach to make it a "thing" (it's also possible Oregon is just stupid in order to make up for how good our Black Metal is).

In my experience it's the exact opposite, I don't think I've met anyone who are "metal dudes" and think Volbeat are anything more than obnoxious. They draw big crowds of people who normally wouldn't attend a metal festival though.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
With the recent announcement of the dude from Paradise Lost now the lead singer for Bloodbath, I've been on a Paradise Lost kick. Does anyone have any recommendations for bands similar to their live performance of "Eternal"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeiKRHEVvV0

The album version is alright, but I'm digging the melody of the live version a lot more.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Volbeat is a mix of older Metallica and more radio friendly metal. I like them, they're a good example of talented radio friendly metal. I'm not crazy about them though. Pop metal for people that won't typically admit to being pop metal fans.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I can't stand volbeat, but that's just me.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Spanish Manlove posted:

I can't stand volbeat, but that's just me.

Pretty, pretty unenjoyable imo

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Kumbamontu posted:

I don't think I saw this in here so apologies if this was already mentioned, but I came across the band Crimson Shadows today and holy poo poo they are amazing

I've only dabbled in power metal. Evergrey, Symphony X and even a little Blind Guardian. I've recently been preparing for the Sabaton show next month and I'm completely immersed in their new album Heroes. I also really dig this Crimson Shadows clip you've posted and have enjoyed Alestorm in the past. Thanks!

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The radio station that plays at the gym I go to keeps blasting those danish idiot fuckers all day long and it's becoming unbearable

Of particular note is the insane amount of autotune they have to apply to the vocal tracks to pass that guy off as a vocalist. The true essence of rock'n'roll right here folks.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Volbeat's singer sounds too much like the dude from Godsmack, and their music wasn't interesting enough for me to care

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Varg posted:

Volbeat's singer sounds too much like the dude from Godsmack, and their music wasn't interesting enough for me to care

This is the reason that several friends of mine had dubbed them euro-godsmack. They're lumped in with the other bro-metal like avenge seven fingered death fold.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Are Anvil(the Canadian one, idk if there's other bands with the same name) any good live these days? They're touring here soonish.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

A human heart posted:

Are Anvil(the Canadian one, idk if there's other bands with the same name) any good live these days? They're touring here soonish.
yup, I saw them not long ago in a fuckin tiny club with the tiniest stage and they played 2 feet in front of my face, it was awesome. Definitely go, and buy a t-shirt.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Volbeat is really really bad.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
New Cannibal Corpse is pretty good. Nothing new, but solid.

Also

Possibly Chicken posted:

Volbeat is really really bad.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 19, 2014

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Manowar are postponing a portion of their upcoming tour, rescheduled dates tba.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

VincentPrice posted:

Mentioned it in the GBS thread already, Vulvatron is awful. Name sucks, the costume sucks, she's just a PG-13 Slymenstra. I like her voice but what Gwar needs is another performance artist instead of someone to fill a suit that someone else in the band came up with.

I think the woman who is Vulvatron is a costume designer for metal bands (her instagram had pics of stuff for Finntroll and a couple other bands). Slymenstra was pissed last night about her being relegated to a side act and the person who wrote that article changed the tone from being the new front-woman to a regular member (it was a giant puff piece on feminists in a "cis dominated" metal genre). Pustulus Maximus posted this morning saying how dumb the media is.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Vintersorg posted:

I think the woman who is Vulvatron is a costume designer for metal bands (her instagram had pics of stuff for Finntroll and a couple other bands). Slymenstra was pissed last night about her being relegated to a side act and the person who wrote that article changed the tone from being the new front-woman to a regular member (it was a giant puff piece on feminists in a "cis dominated" metal genre). Pustulus Maximus posted this morning saying how dumb the media is.

Lemme guess...Kim Kelly wrote the article?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Lemme guess...Kim Kelly wrote the article?

Hahaha, yep.

http://www.wonderingsound.com/author/kim-kelly/

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

That's actually Slymenstra's idiot boyfriend running her Facebook. Danielle Stampe's way too busy making set pieces for Lady Gaga and such to be on the internet. She and a couple of others were treated like poo poo at the Gwar-B-Q though and there's lots of drama.
Vulvatron's played by the singer for the Kung Fu Dykes. The costume is all Matt Maguire, as is the name, which is what bothers me so much. She's definitely the new singer, Mike Bishop (who's a loving music professor and Kepone owns bones) is only doing this tour as a tribute to his friend.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo you know a ton man. :D

Would love to hear more tales.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Couple of tracks from the new Revocation album:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/revocation-madness-opus-stream

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Ahahah she's such a self-righteous turd

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NoooooooooooooooooooOOOoooooo

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So for reasons I'm still not sure of, I decided to watch Some Kind Of Monster last night.

That was a real interesting experience since I'm not a 16 year old fanboy anymore (Still a fanboy though). Also after knowing what Jason said in this interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFiTkWPZ8xU - Jason gives the full story as to why and how he left Metallica) It paints an...interesting picture. I hesitate to call it a different picture but I came away with a lot more.

Namely: Holy mother of gently caress was James broken. When he came back from rehab he was an utterly shattered human being. A complete ghost of himself. The whole "Work from 12-4" business makes so much more sense when you have Jason's side of the story as to how inhumane their management was. Then when you see him basically cower at times when Lars is venting about it, that hurts. That's fuckin' Hetfield man! Watching him shrink when Lars is getting pissy with him and respond by speaking very quietly or just sit there silently is freaky.

That's what I noticed in SKOM this time around. St. Anger really was a result of James vs. Lars. It was a barely functioning Hetfield trying to pull himself back together in the face of Lars wanting to get poo poo done because he was losing his mind not doing anything. Which again, knowing Jason's side of the story in regards to the way Metallica used to work, that makes perfect sense. Lars had every right and reason to get lovely about being left in the dark, not being able to work when he wanted to and generally being stuck in limbo.

However, Neither of them had the emotional intelligence to deal with this poo poo in any way shape or form. Yes, Lars had every right and reason to get lovely at James, but at the same time, James was barely holding on with what was there anyway. Meanwhile, you had their therapist picking at them while they're trying to sort poo poo out, which looked like it pissed them off more than anything.

So today, I decided I'd listen to St. Anger.

...It's way better than I expected.

No seriously it is. First of all, yes the snare is fuckawful. The lack of guitar solos means that there isn't enough variety in the 7 minute songs and there's too much repetition. Also, some of the lyrics are woeful. There are some utterly terrible decisions on that album and only about 5 of the songs are worthwhile. However, the entire album certainly is not a complete write-off.

But there's a lot of interesting positives. Firstly, James sings his loving balls off on that album. He's got a huge amount of power going on in the majority of the album. There's also a lot of legit thrashy high-energy metal going on. I'd say a good half of the riffs are loving awesome riffs (Admittedly, in a songwriting context, most of them are very poorly used) Also, they do a lot of weird stuff on St. Anger that they haven't done anywhere else. A lot of weird harmonies and chords that give a real melancholy feel.

St. Anger is a really sad album. It's not high-energy and excitement it's actually a bit of emotional depth from Metallica. It actually feels "real" rather than a phoned in collection of riffs, which is more what Death Magnetic felt like. The songs wander around aimlessly and kinda confused, but that's exactly what the band was like at that point in time. It's still pretty lame that the band needed to make a 2 and a half hour long movie to justify an album, but after having a more "complete" picture of what was going on, the album actually has some pretty awesome moments on it.

LuLu was still loving awful and completely unjustifiably bad though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hammer Floyd posted:

St. Anger is a really sad album. It's not high-energy and excitement it's actually a bit of emotional depth from Metallica. It actually feels "real" rather than a phoned in collection of riffs, which is more what Death Magnetic felt like. The songs wander around aimlessly and kinda confused, but that's exactly what the band was like at that point in time. It's still pretty lame that the band needed to make a 2 and a half hour long movie to justify an album, but after having a more "complete" picture of what was going on, the album actually has some pretty awesome moments on it.

LuLu was still loving awful and completely unjustifiably bad though.
St. Anger had a lot of awesome riffs that went nowhere and endlessly repeated themselves for 7 1/2 loving minutes.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Honestly the best thing about St. Anger is Steve Albini talking about how horrible it is (which is buried in I think like a documentary about Zao or some poo poo? I don't feel like looking it up but he talks for a couple minutes about how uniquely awful he found St. Anger)

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The live in studio dvd that came with St Anger made things a little bit more tolerable.

not gonna say that I was a teenager with a guitar when it came out and I jammed the gently caress out to that cd

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The only thing worthwhile about that album is the snare, which if you know anything about brutal death metal or slam is accidentally a decade ahead of its time. Pretty much he only other "serious" band who had a similar drum sound around the same time was Lamb of God on their first album, which was more likely than not a product of Steve Austin's production than anything the band thought of themselves.

Everything else about St. Anger is lazy horseshit from assholes who couldn't just be happy having more money than Croesus doing what every adolescent male dreams of. Lars' dad was the only sane person in that movie, which might be the best comedy of the last 15 years.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Holy poo poo you know a ton man. :D

Would love to hear more tales.

I'm a big fan of the band but it's such a train wreck now. Funny how the slaves are always so overlooked when they play such a massive part in the band. Here's a short documentary I did on them:
http://vimeo.com/31537694

One of them, Scott Krahl, is pretty much out of the band now. He was in since the beginning but he had a stroke shortly after Brockie croaked and was brain damaged to the point of pretty much being retarded. He's better now, but he's not touring anymore.
The drummer, Brad Roberts, is running the show now and he's like a low budget Gene Simmons. The creative part is just Bob Gorman and Matt Maguire now and I think between the three of them they're less looking for a frontman (or woman) and more something who'll just play ball. Apparently Kim didn't want to wear a thong on stage but Matt pushed the issue.
Scott Krahl had a girl as an understudy who did loads of work and built both Robo Jesus and Mr Perfect on the last tour, and she was booted pretty much immediately after Brockie died.

I just want a Kepone tour in Europe :(

X-Cops too, except that's not possible anymore. They played GwarBQ last year at 11 in the morning which was a disgrace. At least Casey Orr is back with Rigor Mortis now, they've got a new album about to be released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
Gorguts-metal update: Ingurgitating Oblivion have a new album and it is really cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFXe24cQjaY