Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

goldboilermark posted:

I wasn't shitposting, I think the word decent could mean like a million things, just thought the person may ask more specific questions about what they are looking for.

I love my aunt dearly for a billion reasons, but one is every time I come back to the States and end up in San Diego, she and I go out for lunch or dinner and she has a list of specific questions about China, other places I've traveled and/or my thoughts and ideas about stuff. I love meeting up with her for this, because a lot of my friends go "How's China" and I say "Good" and they say "Cool, anything else?" and I say "Not really" because how do you even start to answer broad questions seriously?

Though I guess you did a pretty good job talking about Dalian if those things are important to the guy.

:goonsay:

Why do you think a distant relative of yours would ask really specific questions like a journalist during lunch/dinner?

Maybe she's just trying to have some small talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Trammel posted:

Actually, the reverse, according to this article.

Teaching now has higher requirements for experience than other areas of employment, when applying for a visa in Beijing.

Will that 5 years include time spent working in Beijing under the old rules? Cuz if so I'm golden.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

:goonsay:

Why do you think a distant relative of yours would ask really specific questions like a journalist during lunch/dinner?

Maybe she's just trying to have some small talk

I think you mean the exact opposite. A lot of people just start questions like "What's up" "How's Hong Kong?" for small talk. Actually asking specific questions leads to long discussions where actual ideas can be discussed in detail. For example, if I asked you "What has been the most noticeable change in Hong Kong since I last saw you? Do you think that's overall good or bad for the culture and life there?", I'm actually curious about your answer and your ideas. "How's Hong Kong?" is what I would say if I were stuck behind you in customs and didn't really want to talk to you, but didn't really want silence either. Like when I ask my friend "What was the most difficult thing about your first year of marriage? If you could go back and do the last year over, would you change anything?" will be a lot more insightful than "How's your wife?"

I'm just saying "Is it decent there?" is kind of difficult to answer I feel like.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Trammel posted:

Actually, the reverse, according to this article.

Teaching now has higher requirements for experience than other areas of employment, when applying for a visa in Beijing.

I can say with experience in Shanghai, Qingdao, Chengdu and Hangzhou working in the IT industry that you definitely need 5 years of working experience for a shot at a legal Z visa. I guess Beijing might have different laws but since 2013 it's been nearly impossible to get a visa for anyone with <5 years experience unless you have major guanxi/forge documents. In 2012 in Qingdao I specifically did work related to visa stuff and had to work with the new requirements that went into effect last year, and they very specifically said 5 years work (2 years for teaching).

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Will that 5 years include time spent working in Beijing under the old rules? Cuz if so I'm golden.

Yes. Several of our employees got their visas last year using their work experience at the this company since they'd been here for 2-3 years.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Magna Kaser posted:

I can say with experience in Shanghai, Qingdao, Chengdu and Hangzhou working in the IT industry that you definitely need 5 years of working experience for a shot at a legal Z visa. I guess Beijing might have different laws but since 2013 it's been nearly impossible to get a visa for anyone with <5 years experience unless you have major guanxi/forge documents. In 2012 in Qingdao I specifically did work related to visa stuff and had to work with the new requirements that went into effect last year, and they very specifically said 5 years work (2 years for teaching).

You said this to me last time we talked about it 6 months ago, but at my company (in Shanghai) they are still using 2 years as the requirement.

Edit: The British guy on my team joined in October-November 2013 at 24 years old and definitely didn't have 5 years experience in anything.

LentThem fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 17, 2014

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LentThem posted:

You said this to me last time we talked about it 6 months ago, but at my company (in Shanghai) they are still using 2 years as the requirement.

Edit: The British guy on my team joined in October-November 2013 at 24 years old and definitely didn't have 5 years experience in anything.

We had issues in Shanghai, but then again I have no idea what our HR is doing. I do know 3 people who referred me to document forging dudes there but I guess our HR manager is too straight-laced/scared to deal with that.

I know it because I am constantly told we can't hire a good candidate with 3-4 years experience, but I do not handle the visas directly. I also know last year HR had to have me "fake" two years of experience on the resume I sent out to get my visa since I got an MA and didn't work for two years and only had 3.5 years working experience as a result.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 17, 2014

BaiSha
Jul 9, 2012

Maxsmart posted:

I'm looking at a possible future job teaching English and Technical Communication at a university in Dalian. Is it a decent place to live.

Dalian was the first city in China I lived in, (lived there for 2 years) and I think it was great as a first Chinese city. As the others said its cleaner than most places, Korean food is good and readily available. There are a good amount of international businesses located there, so foreign stuff in general is easy to find and you don't get gawked at so much. Traffic is pretty terrible at peak times and taxi drivers will refuse to take you unless you're going their direction although the subway is supposed to be finished soon so maybe that won't be much of an issue. Also the winter gets super windy, take the mild temperature reports with a grain of salt. Which University are you thinking about teaching in?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Magna Kaser posted:

We had issues in Shanghai, but then again I have no idea what our HR is doing. I do know 3 people who referred me to document forging dudes there but I guess our HR manager is too straight-laced/scared to deal with that.

I know it because I am constantly told we can't hire a good candidate with 3-4 years experience, but I do not handle the visas directly. I also know last year HR had to have me "fake" two years of experience on the resume I sent out to get my visa since I got an MA and didn't work for two years and only had 3.5 years working experience as a result.

Hm, is it because your job is more about "management" or something?

Also I wonder if in the case of other candidates, maybe it's because English skill/experience is still the largest requirement in our team rather than coding/support.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LentThem posted:

Hm, is it because your job is more about "management" or something?

Also I wonder if in the case of other candidates, maybe it's because English skill/experience is still the largest requirement in our team rather than coding/support.

For programmers thats probably the case. We also have failed to get visas for people in more biz dev/marketing roles where fluency in a European language like German or Russia was a key component, though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol that China has a minimum experience requirement and Japan doesn't, I moved here when I was 20 :japan:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

Lol that China has a minimum experience requirement and Japan doesn't, I moved here when I was 20 :japan:

Japan also has negative population growth and despite being super xenophobic in a lot of ways actually has an impressively inclusive immigration policy!

China has too many drat people (for now) and needs to get all those people jobs since foreign companies would much rather just hire everyone in any relatively high position from abroad ( my company does this too)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't really have a minimum experience requirement, you can always simply make poo poo up if you want a person to get the job. Our HR has told me regarding hiring people to either simply make stuff up or stuff needs to be made up, which I never feel entirely comfortable doing. I am under the impression there is literally ZERO background check into past work experience for hiring people for my company. However, in terms of minimum requirements, in the past three years our HR department has said that candidates with all necessary experience have been denied for family names ("The government thinks the name is not American sounding"), race ("The government says no one looking like a South American or a Black"), and age/sex ("We think she is good but government said any woman over 35 we can not trust"). That could just be HR making poo poo up but the ones that we find that don't have the experience, I'm told poo poo is just made up for them, and I know it happens because we have people that do not fit the bill working for us or in the process of coming over right now. The black guy we were going to hire has six years experience living abroad and working in education and they really wanted him, and the day after they got his passport information page, my supervisor said it was ok, HR said it was ok, HR had a meeting somewhere, and now we can't hire black people. :ughh:

The bottom line is I have absolutely no idea what HR will get through, ever, and now when I am conducting interviews and searching for applicants I always tell them the first step is "Please send me your resume before we do anything else", because it is gently caress all worthless to spend time to recruit people that HR/TJ government is just going to turn down for some asinine reason.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

goldboilermark posted:

("The government thinks the name is not American sounding")

What in the gently caress is an American sounding name

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
RE: Dalian. Granted this info is 9 years out of date now, but Dalian was my first port of call and I don't really regret it. Plus points:

1. It's pretty. There's some lovely coastal roads, nice open squares and interesting Russian/Japanese architecture.
2. It's clean. Pollution is lower than most places (thanks to Comrade Bo Xilai moving all the factories upwind of the city) and there's an army of street cleaners.
3. The food is good. Personally I love the regional cuisine but even if you don't it's swimming in good Japanese and Korean food. Chinese people will rave about the seafood. This is mostly because Chinese people have no idea what good seafood is, though.
4. The people are pretty great. I never really experienced that much rudeness or difficulty.

Bad points

1. There's not a huge amount to do. At least when I was there bars were relatively limited and cultural events of any description were very thin on the ground. It's a good place for a year but gets boring afterwards.
2. Winters can be fairly brutal. Everyone in China says it's not that bad because there's good indoor heating. While that's true it overlooks the fact that you actually have to go outside sometimes and when you do holy gently caress -25 C is pretty loving cold.
3. The local area is not exactly overflowing with stuff to do. Liaoning has a couple of sites of historical or natural significance but compared to other areas of China it's a little lacking. Transport links to other places are plentiful though.
4. The locals can be pretty hardcore. Expect a lot of hard drinking if you want to make local friends. Though that might not be a negative, the fact that fists might fly during the drinking can be. China as a whole is very safe by Western standards but Dongbei (North East China) has a bit of an edge that many other places lack.

Overall I'd say if it's your first port of call in China you can do a hell of a lot worse.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

goldboilermark posted:

It doesn't really have a minimum experience requirement, you can always simply make poo poo up if you want a person to get the job. Our HR has told me regarding hiring people to either simply make stuff up or stuff needs to be made up, which I never feel entirely comfortable doing. I am under the impression there is literally ZERO background check into past work experience for hiring people for my company. However, in terms of minimum requirements, in the past three years our HR department has said that candidates with all necessary experience have been denied for family names ("The government thinks the name is not American sounding"), race ("The government says no one looking like a South American or a Black"), and age/sex ("We think she is good but government said any woman over 35 we can not trust"). That could just be HR making poo poo up but the ones that we find that don't have the experience, I'm told poo poo is just made up for them, and I know it happens because we have people that do not fit the bill working for us or in the process of coming over right now. The black guy we were going to hire has six years experience living abroad and working in education and they really wanted him, and the day after they got his passport information page, my supervisor said it was ok, HR said it was ok, HR had a meeting somewhere, and now we can't hire black people. :ughh:

The bottom line is I have absolutely no idea what HR will get through, ever, and now when I am conducting interviews and searching for applicants I always tell them the first step is "Please send me your resume before we do anything else", because it is gently caress all worthless to spend time to recruit people that HR/TJ government is just going to turn down for some asinine reason.

I suspect your company is making stuff up.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

I suspect your company is making stuff up.

You would have to think so, wouldn't you? But two of these were during a time when we really needed people, I had been given the go-ahead to hire them from my supervisor, HR and our president, gotten all of their paperwork other than the physical, translated it over to Chinese, and HR had taken it over to the Tianjin government place where they go through all this stuff, and then came back and said this is what the government said.

I know for a fact people in Tianjin can hire people that "look like they are from South America" because one of my best friends in Tianjin is from Venezuela lol, so really I don't know who is making stuff up and lying to who, but I really don't think it is coming from our HR department.

It has been years of things like ^^THIS^^ that have shaped my opinion on China, in case people are wondering if I ever seem a tad negative about this country!

Grand Fromage posted:

What in the gently caress is an American sounding name

I reminded my supervisor that the people in the office had family names that are traced back to Wales, Ireland, Germany, Germany and Poland, but that didn't really do anything other than my supervisor saying "It's terribly stupid, I know".

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

I know for a fact people in Tianjin can hire people that "look like they are from South America" because one of my best friends in Tianjin is from Venezuela lol, so really I don't know who is making stuff up and lying to who, but I really don't think it is coming from our HR department.

You're in private education, right?

If so, it's from the marketing department.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think the marketing department does anything with HR and the hiring process? For the past five years it has always been the HR girl and the two other girls that work in HR. The marketing department is in our other office on the other side of town.

I also think it is probably from my company, but I just don't understand why they would tell me to interview someone, have it go well, tell me to hire them, they accept, get all the paperwork together, go over to some meeting with everything and then make something up. Doesn't really make sense, but a lot of things haven't made sense to me over here so :shrug:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

goldboilermark posted:

I don't think the marketing department does anything with HR and the hiring process?

Oh, that is ADORABLE.

Maybe it isn't marketing looking at the guy's documents and saying "no no no this won't do." But someone somewhere is thinking "we sell parents our American (or whatever western) image, and when they think America they think white guys" and freaking out at the prospect of a brown face scaring away customers.

I'm not sure how true that is. But I do recall an English guy basically getting fired because some parents didn't like his accent, and the most qualified teacher at my center wouldn't have been hired if my supervisor hadn't yelled at HR about his dark complexion being less important than his teaching certification, and all the non-native-speaker teachers (some of whose English was inferior to a lot of the Chinese teachers) my last center hired who all happened to be white Europeans.

quote:

For the past five years it has always been the HR girl and the two other girls that work in HR. The marketing department is in our other office on the other side of town.

I also think it is probably from my company, but I just don't understand why they would tell me to interview someone, have it go well, tell me to hire them, they accept, get all the paperwork together, go over to some meeting with everything and then make something up. Doesn't really make sense, but a lot of things haven't made sense to me over here so :shrug:

When did they (HR, or anyone else not in your department) learn that the person you were hiring wasn't white enough?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I am 100% sure marketing does absolutely nothing with any of this, they haven't done anything new with foreigners since 2008 that I've seen, we have a girl that worked here in 2006 up on all of our marketing stuff.

I give HR all the documents at once, I dunno when they learn that people are too old, too black or too South American looking, or have last names that don't sound American enough.

My bottom line was I think the mandatory experience thing is largely bullshit and nothing more than a face project.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
So, I find this on the door of my apartment last night.

According to a friend, it's a notice, saying that the local police have asked the community office to collect the paperwork (temporary household registration, temporary residence permit, photocopy of first page of passport, copy of apartment lease and original 2 inch photograph) of all foreigners in the community.

It all got put in a file, and then, who knows

I don't understand why, because the PSB already have all this information. I'm in Xi'an now, but has anybody else seen this new requirement?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goldboilermark posted:

I am 100% sure marketing does absolutely nothing with any of this, they haven't done anything new with foreigners since 2008 that I've seen, we have a girl that worked here in 2006 up on all of our marketing stuff.

I give HR all the documents at once, I dunno when they learn that people are too old, too black or too South American looking, or have last names that don't sound American enough.

My bottom line was I think the mandatory experience thing is largely bullshit and nothing more than a face project.

Someone that makes actual decisions is concerned about your company's image. They're not getting involved until the end of the hiring process, which is why you keep getting that far only to be rejected.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

goldboilermark posted:

Is that before or after you've got your candidate picked out?

If it's after, that would explain why they wait so long to tell you "no, I don't think we want THEIR KIND here."

quote:

Anything that can be spun as education related counts.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

Someone that makes actual decisions is concerned about your company's image. They're not getting involved until the end of the hiring process, which is why you keep getting that far only to be rejected.

I guess that's what would make the most sense if you don't believe that the govt is telling us these things, I just have no idea who that person is, because to be offered a job my supervisor, the HR lady and my boss all have to say yes. You would think if there was a fourth person they would just include them in that group and make this easier for everyone, rather than simply making stuff up. But whatever, it doesn't bother me anymore, I just accept whatever they say and keep on doing whatever I can.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You, your boss, and your other boss, and the HR lady may not really care. But there's most likely someone else that's getting involved at some point. Maybe whoever it is considers himself too important or busy to get involved at whenever you're thinking he should.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

VideoTapir posted:

I'm not sure how true that is. But I do recall an English guy basically getting fired because some parents didn't like his accent,
I know a guy who got complaints from parents in Taiwan because of his accent:
:argh:: You, what have you been teaching my kid?
:v:: Well, we were doing animals last lesson, and -
:argh:: I know that! But what is this?!
:v:: It's a squirrel
:argh:: No, it's a SQUIRL - stop teaching my kid wrong!
:v:: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(As in, the parent didn't like him using the non-American pronunciation of squirrel - it's not like he's a geordie or a taff)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

simplefish posted:

(As in, the parent didn't like him using the non-American pronunciation of squirrel - it's not like he's a geordie or a taff)

Sounds like a smart parent.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

simplefish posted:

What's the non-American pronunciation? Is it the silly one with like 3 syllables?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Yeah, squir-rel sounds pretty pompous and faggy and I'd be pissed if my kid came home and started talking about squir-rels.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Me too. Who wants to deal with non American accented English?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Only certain American accents are acceptable, don't go overboard here.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Bloodnose posted:

Yeah, squir-rel sounds pretty pompous and faggy and I'd be pissed if my kid came home and started talking about squir-rels.

They can actually be used interchangeably for different purposes. A squi-rel is a bushy tailed woodland creature, while a squirl is good eatin'.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Why is it that the parents I see tonight can let their children run amok and not give a poo poo that they just plowed into my girlfriend on our way home from dinner because they are too busy tapping their mobile phones but demand to speak to someone about the way a child is saying a word as obscure as squirrel?

This is where I would use a Mr. Egg sighing emotion and also why I refuse to deal with parents!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Quick question about HK:

The group tour/visit permit for mainlanders stipulates that they enter and leave as a group. What the heck happens if someone wants to leave early for any reason? I can't find poo poo about this online. They couldn't force someone to remain, could they?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ceciltron posted:

Quick question about HK:

The group tour/visit permit for mainlanders stipulates that they enter and leave as a group. What the heck happens if someone wants to leave early for any reason? I can't find poo poo about this online. They couldn't force someone to remain, could they?

It's a free country.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

fart simpson posted:

It's a free country.

Scotland's not. :q:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

Quick question about HK:

Is the group a group of one?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ceciltron posted:

Quick question about HK:

As GuestBob implies, group tours are usually just a group of one that they arrange through a rent seeker in Shenzhen and then they cross the border and do whatever the gently caress they want. The only disadvantage to the group tour over the Individual Visit Scheme is that the group tour can't fly directly into HK and have to pay the rent seeker in Shenzhen first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
I'm planning a quick 3 night trip to Suzhou (because it looks pretty, and I'll be in Shanghai for QCon), with the girlfriend. Any recommendations on specific places to stay, or things to see?